Jimquisition: Why Do People Hate EA?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I really want to like EA...I really do. Some of their IP's have potential! However crushed it is by the corporate whoriness that is it's being.
Also I would like the gravity rush shirt. And Jim....Hahahahaha, I'm sorry, I can't quite finish that sentence. I would really like that shirt though.

I have my Red Alert 2 CD sitting on my shelf, and on the back of the case I've written "R.I.P Westwood"

EA will never have my forgiveness. ever.

Thanks for reminding me about Bullfrog Jim, now I'm depressed.

(I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please um also Jim is sexy)

It's actually hilarious they had to ask. Wikipedia has 1/3 of the EA page dedicated to the criticisms of EA.

Personally, I hate EA for what they did to the Ultima series. As far as I've seen, it was the first series with a loyal fanbase that they destroyed.

Capcha: wicked witch

...Well played.

I skimmed through EA's 10K (Their official financials as reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US) for their fiscal year ending Mar 31, 2012. I've been a financial analyst for about 13 years, so I'll chalk it up as professional curiosity
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/712515/000119312512249324/d318259d10k.htm

Found some interesting tidbits (my thoughts after quotes):

"On May 7, 2012, we announced a plan of restructuring to align our cost structure with our ongoing digital transformation. Under this plan, we anticipate reducing our workforce and incurring other costs. We expect the majority of these actions to be completed by September 30, 2012. These costs will consist of severance and other employee-related costs"- Looks like more people will be getting axed

"In June 2008, Geoffrey Pecover filed an antitrust class action in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, alleging that EA obtained an illegal monopoly in a discreet antitrust market that consists of "league-branded football simulation video games" by bidding for, and winning, exclusive licenses with the NFL, Collegiate Licensing Company and Arena Football League. The parties initiated settlement negotiations in early May 2012 and subsequently reached a non-binding settlement in principle; however, no settlement agreement has been approved by the court as of the date of the filing. As a result, we recognized a $27 million accrual in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 associated with the potential settlement." - As an accounting rule, you only accrue losses when you are "reasonably certain" you are going to lose.

"A cornerstone of our brand strategy is to publish products that can be iterated, or sequeled, and that can be integrated across multiple game-playing devices"

"In fiscal year 2012, revenue from sales of FIFA 12 and Battlefield 3 represented approximately 13 percent and 11 percent, respectively" - Their two biggest games. Was surprised BF3 is bigger than Madden

"In the MMO game business, our primary competitor is Activision Blizzard." - Lulz

"Our business is based on the creation, acquisition, exploitation and protection of intellectual property" - I'm not sure why they would use this word. I'm sure it's not insidious, but it just seemed odd

"We have significantly reduced the number of games that we develop, publish and distribute: in fiscal year 2011, we published 36 primary packaged goods titles, and in fiscal year 2012, we published 22 primary packaged goods titles, including our MMO role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic. In fiscal year 2013, we expect to release 14 primary packaged goods titles and plan to build additional online features, content and services around each of these titles. Publishing fewer titles means that we concentrate more of our development spending on each title, and driving "hit" titles often requires large marketing budgets and media spend." - More homogenization/more DLC

"Our operating results will be adversely affected if we do not consistently meet our product development schedules" - Works as a business concept, not necessarily in the creative field

That's all I'm going to copy/paste. There is more, but these stood out to me

Good lord 5 million copies to justify Dead space 3, that's WAY to much. EA is a huge problem in the game market, they need to change or they will die, hopefully soon. Defiantly would like more companies to have the policies of Steam and adapt not hold onto draconian beliefs.

(I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please, also Jim is sexy.)

Jim probably said it better then most could- sure they didn't invent cheap tactics to rip consumers off and aren't the worst in all of America when it comes to business, but darn they embrace every low tactic and take it to the next level for every game thinking the audience and buyers are to naive to not see the schemes EA pulls off.

Well said Jim, I really appreciate you doing this video because believe it or not... some people and companies actually ask why many hate EA. One of the main reasons I hate EA is because their business comes first and consumers come last ... not one thing has EA done that makes me think, "Oh that was nice of EA to do for us consumers." .. Nothing comes to mind. Money is their objective but they do it where nothing else matters and that is a bad, bad thing if you're selling things to gamers who are known to voice everything out (which is good in my opinion).

[I would honestly appreciate and be grateful for that Rush Shirt and I don't understand why Jim wouldn't want to keep the shirt... it's so awesome but then again Jim is sexy so he doesn't need the shirt to look good like I would need to.]

Wait... EA once admitted the horrible things they did to Westwood and other peaceful developer-tribes their empire assimilated? Perhaps it was a last cry for help from what empathy remained in that cold Leviathan of a publisher.

[I, too, would like a Gravity Rush shirt, please. Jim is the reborn avatar of Atlantis' fabled sex-god, an undescribably sexy deity possessing mindshattering abilities of pleasures and vitality. He can blow your mind with but a thought!]

Did I overdo it?

Edit: Oh, toss, US residents only. :< Suppose it's back to my potato-peel tunic... Wait, the cossacs burned it.

I used to be one of those guys who defended the publishers left and right, using the "they're a business, what do you expect?" defense, and while I mostly stand by it, I don't shout it out as loudly as I once may have. It's no surprise to me that Hollywood is out of touch with the regular, typical moviegoer demographic (True Transformers fans who would care about the detail given to their beloved franchise don't substantiate a large enough audience for Paramount to give the director's helm to anyone besides Bay), but for a game company to be so distant and detached from gamers that they need their arm twisted to loosen up on an obviously-broken DRM system like SecuROM. When paying customers are complaining about copy protection keeping them from doing the very thing their paying dollars should allow them to do, it's time to rethink one's strategy.

Okay, enough faff, I'm here for the Gravity Rush shirt, which I humbly ask for your consideration on, Jim, you sexy beast, you. Did I mention I just favorited your original "anti-piracy" video on your YouTube channel? Just wanted to throw that out there.

EAs reputation is so bad I think it's attracting bad juju just on reputation alone.

I personally blame everything thats wrong with ME 3 on EA, for instance. It makes me happy. In the pants.

(Oh, and as much as I would love that T-Shirt, Jim has turned his back on his British bretheren! Remember your roots lad? DO YOU?)

(Still sexy though. Thank God for thrift.)

Undeadpool:
Not that I'm going to defend EA against what is a SLEW of completely valid points, but I really do hate the Valve double-standard. I get that Valve has done a lot to foster customer loyalty, and frankly I've probably spent more on Steam than on analog games over the last three years, but I'm still a little peeved when they're just given a pass and treated like this scrappy little underdog. I'm thinking two things specifically: Steam's always-on internet requirement and their pairing with Gamestop. Both of which are either dismissed or outright praised. A partnership. With GAMESTOP. One of the most REVILED companies in the industry (at least on the internet), but the moment Valve announces you'll be able to go into their shop to buy Steam Bucks, "GO VALVE! Looking out for their consumers!"
And yeah, Steam is "always on." Yes, you can go into "Offline Mode," but ONLY if you already have a connection. Internet went out unexpectedly? TOO BAD. Just as when EA does good, they should get praised (multiple free DLC packs for ME3), Valve should get taken to task when they do wrong. But neither of those things happen because even praising EA for giving away free content is unacceptable.

[I would like a shirt and Jim is sexy]

If I may....

The whole "Steam is always-on DRM!!!" is utter bullshit. I've never once had issue with the offline mode. (save the few times I've run Steam in the beta-update mode)

If I know I'll be wanting to play a game I either make sure it's updated or I turn auto-updates off; while making sure the Steam client itself hasn't updated. Or, if the client has updated recently, I make sure to update and/or run any games I may want to play.

Sticking to those procedures, should I suddenly lose connection to the 'net, I can still play my games. No "not available in offline mode" or some such bullocks. I just play as I normally would. (sans the online features of course)

Granted, I know my case isn't universal, but I can't help but feel a LOT of the complaints about Steams offline mode would never exist if people actually took the time to understand how it works. This of course is not to say it doesn't still have moments of bugginess.

If I ever need to reinstall a game or worry about a game not being "available", I can just create a back-up using the in-Steam utility. Then I can uninstall, reinstall, and access my games whenever/wherever without having to worry about a connection.

As for the Steam Wallet cards now at Gamestop, I do agree it's rather aggravating that to get one I have to pay cash to Gamestop. However, I also look at it as a jab at Gamestop because, for quite some time now, they've been trying to compete with and undermine Steam at every turn. Yet, here they are selling product specifically made for; and by; Steam. The irony is quite delicious. (if still God damned annoying)

Also, when EA has a moment of doing something good (moments of which are few-and-far between now-a-days), I do praise them. Good lord, I used to sing their praises all the time some years ago. I was quite fond of them. However, as of late, most of their "good will" has been nothing but PR stunts to either cover up their goof-ups or "make up" for something egregious they did to the player base.

Take Dead Space 2, for example. The PC players were given virtually all of the premium DLC for free. Quite the gesture, right?

Thing is, they were caught not only putting that DLC on the discs for all version but even including the DLC in the PC game files. Which doesn't sound too bad until you realize they said at game launch that the DLC would only be available for the console versions.

Needless to say, when this whole mess came to light, EA had to do something to "make up" for it. So they just unlocked the content in the PC game files. Whizz-bang-boom suddenly the PC players got a bunch of DLC for free.

So no, I don't ignore EAs gestures of good will. I simply take them with a grain of salt until I make sure there's no ulterior motive behind them. If I see nothing egregious, I will openly praise them for it. But again, those moments have been very rare lately.

[on a side note, do not take my message as a personal attack or anything. I just get sick of hearing people complain about the offline-mode, seeing as it's actually quite reliable now. I also get sick of people complaining about aspects of Steam that either aren't an issue or aren't as bad as these people claim; all the while the REAL issues with Steam go unnoticed. Or rather, un-complained-about. Like the lack of currency conversion in the store, the somewhat buggy cloud-save feature for some games, or the frequency with which the Friends network has been going down lately. Those are just a few of the things that need to be complained about now; the things that actually need fixing.]

Yeah, there was a time a few years ago that I thought EA was truly performing some real quality control. I think I finally noticed just how far down hill EA was going with the Dante's Inferno advertising debacle. That, followed up with a lot of the shit they pulled in the last couple years... Jesus, the fact that there's actual credibility to that saying "Activision: At least we're not EA!" is just fucking pathetic.

[I would like the Gravity Rush t-shirt, and Jim needs to get laid. Badly.]

Really well done as usual. Between EA and Activision I've really started to lose faith in the Western market. Not only are the games the same old same old but couple that with insane amounts of DLC, DRM, Online Passes, and anything else they can think up in their satanic think tanks and what you get is a steaming pile of crap.

[I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please. Also Jim is SEXY. Thank God for him.]

Orlake:
I have my Red Alert 2 CD sitting on my shelf, and on the back of the case I've written "R.I.P Westwood"

EA will never have my forgiveness. ever.

I loved the Red Alert 2 series, One of the first games I bought.

OT: I used to like EA. They had decent fun games that I like and still play on occasion. But all caring for them died with BF3 and the ME3 fiasco. What happened to you EA? Why did you become so evil?

[I would like the Gravity Rush shirt, and Jim you are a sexy beast]

SkarKrow:
Everything wrong with EA can be summarised by playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours.
Then play Battlefield 3.

See the difference?
I thought so.

I haven't played either and don't intend to. Are they the same or something? Sorry to shit on the joke.

Loethlin:
While I completely agree with this rant, I have to ask. What's with the shrimp? It showed up to illustrate the words "fucked up".

[I don't want a shirt, but Jim is sexy.]

The shrimps show up a lot. Its some sort of hypnosis thing maybe. Jim bought stock in a shrimp corporation and wants to incite gamers to anger then convince them to eat their trouble away on shrimp.

What is important here is that EA is saying Dead space needs to sell 5 million copies so their solution is be like gears of halo. I swear EA if you explain the DS storyline and it makes sense so many people are going to get bored and not buy future dead space property. I cite the Matrix v. Matrix sequels. Everyone loved Matrix there was a sci-fi world that had some mysterious internal logic that was not fully explained. People wanted to know, they wanted more. When they explained it no one cared about it anymore.

People love Evangeline, no two people have the same explanation for that thing unless they are on LSD. Science proved it makes sense on LSD.

(I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please, Jim is totally sexy.)

Jim Read this:The US post office has flat rate shipping envelopes that are pretty cheap and a shirt can be crammed in there

Remember back in 2004 when I was running a games department of an electronic store.
I would go on rants about EA being the big evil.
Using it as a reason why you should never pirate games or we end up with nothing but the sims being released. :)
Things have not gotten better and it got nothing to do with piracy.

I thoroughly enjoyed this video, especially the parts comparing EA to Valve and then, surprisingly, to Activision. Laughs were had, and thank God for you.

[I would like that shirt, also, Jim is sexy]

Vigormortis:

[on a side note, do not take my message as a personal attack or anything. I just get sick of hearing people complain about the offline-mode, seeing as it's actually quite reliable now. I also get sick of people complaining about aspects of Steam that either aren't an issue or aren't as bad as these people claim; all the while the REAL issues with Steam go unnoticed. Or rather, un-complained-about. Like the lack of currency conversion in the store, the somewhat buggy cloud-save feature for some games, or the frequency with which the Friends network has been going down lately. Those are just a few of the things that need to be complained about now; the things that actually need fixing.]

I complain about steams tech support. Is fairly unhelpfull. They will pawn you off on the developer enven when steam is the one causeing the issue. I had a problem with Bioshock 2. They kept sending me elsewhere to find help when it was a steam issue. They repeatedly told me it with the developers fault. Eventually I found the problem. Apparently the game ran in DX9 but the launcher made it launch DX10. I found them out and told them and they still had no help from me. "Take it to the devs," they said, "its not our fault". Finally I found a random forum somewhere that said where to put some code in for the steam launcher.

But yeah anyway it was their problem and they blamed it on other people. I don't like tech support that does that.

DuelLadyS:
I'm always amused by things talking about the horrible state of EA these days. See, there was a Dr. Pepper thing awhile back where you got free stuff for your EA games from a cap code. So, I decided to see what stuff I could get... and I learned I own NOTHING made by EA in the last 10 years or so. In an attempt to appeal to 'broader markets', EA made their stuff so bland that not only was I never interested in buying any of it, I wasn't aware enough of their titles to realize that was the case. Smooth, EA- real smooth.

Similarly; in my entire games collection going back 15 years; I've owned (and still own) games from Konami, Activision, Capcom, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Namco, Koei, Eidos, Square Enix and THQ. A vast collection made up mostly by these sizeable publishers who're still going, except EA.

i wish i could have fit more of the game boom than the bust into my lifetime, but what can you do, really

i mean, besides being a pioneer or something, but i don't have that in me

and clearly ea doesn't either

[you can keep the tshirt but i'll say jim is sexy anyway]

Dangit2019:

subtlefuge:
At least EA isn't IGN. Seriously, how does that happen?

[I would not mind a shirt. I know it could not contain your sexiness, but maybe it will have room for mine.]

Judging by how biased IGN's interview was, I was under the impression that they were EA.

It's a square/rectangle relationship. IGN is always EA, but EA is not necessarily IGN. The distinction is small, but very important.

I do hate how EA has changed... and they're games are still (mostly) a lot of fun. I'm still enjoying ME3 and BF3 immensely. I just shake my head at the bonehead decisions they make.

Also, I'd like the t-shirt, Jim-er-roo :)

Krion_Vark:
EA can change everything. If they actually try and change and stop being hypocritical bastards. The biggest problem with IGN's article is as pointed out is that they asked EA and not someone else that isn't in EA's pocket and risking their job for saying bad stuff about EA.

(Also I would like the shirt)

You're right, EA can change. But at this point it would take too long to be worth their while, they would end up losing revenue for the sake of PR, but good PR doesn't happen over night.

(I want that shirt you sexy beast (but sadly I live in the UK)).

Um, wasn't Valve the corporation that that snuck code to identify pirated copies into Gary's Mod and then ran a sting operation via Twitter that banned accounts?

Don't they ban forum users that discuss ways to hack supplimental DRM like GFW:L out of games they already own for piracy?

Sorry Jim, no consumer loyalty here, they're just the less-est evil and have the best sales.

[I would like the Gravity Rush shirt that's not sexy enough for Jim, please]

there is one thing you forgot, E.A. has the wurst adverising department ever, may i remind ever one of the "your mom will hate this game" Dead Space 2 add compain. (i would like that shirt)

Started playing Sims 2 again. Looked up Sims 3 on Steam out of curiosity and was horrified at the prices. The game itself is fine, so is the expansions and extensions... just the whole mass of stuff is horrifying. Yes you can buy only a few, but that won't happen. As a gamer we always want the most we can get, and we will always be tempted by the extra stuff. It's efficient business practise from them, but it's sodding well evil.

People wonder why people pirate media. Unavailability and unreasonable pricing is the reason why people pirate.

So I got my EA account banned permanently three months ago. I wasn't given a warning or reason. Upon sending a question as to WHY I was banned, which was a day after the banning, I never got a response back. I had a lot of money put into Battlefield heroes (the game is pay to win, so noboody should be surprised). Dammit. Screw you, EA.

Fun Fact: The Consumerist took a poll and ended up with EA as Worst Company in America of 2012. Against First Bank of America, too.

mjc0961:

MrGalactus:
Actually, now you mention it, It really is tough to remember what it is about Activision we hated so much. Off the top of my head...they torture game franchises out of relevance. Compared to all the bullshit EA has done, Activision almost seem like the scrappy, humble underdog.
Dafuq happened?

And, if you're offering,
(I would like a Gravity Rush T-shirt, and Jim is sexy?)

BTW, if you've got a vita, Gravity Rush is pretty great.

As I recall, there were really only two factors to begin with:

1. For a while, Bobby Kotick was running his mouth and saying [b][i]INSANELY[/I][/B] stupid things that pissed people off.

2. Call of Duty. It is popular and the best-selling game every year (constantly breaking it's own sales record). As we all know, if something is popular, it sucks. And since Activision publishes the popular game, they suck.

Of course, number one no longer exists. Good ol' Bobby finally learned to shut up a while back, so it's pretty much people just being immature little twats who hate Call of Duty because it's popular and hate Activision because they publish Call of Duty.

And I guess some people are mad about canceling the new True Crime game or something, but I don't care about that. It's being made by United Front Games, a developer that has already proven themselves to be incompetent. I'm sure once the renamed Sleeping Dogs finally comes out, people will see what an utter mess it is and realize that Activision was right in canceling it all along. Not surprising that Square Enix picked the game up either, as all Square Enix does anymore is waste money. They usually only do it on games that have "Final Fantasy" in the title, though.

Well, I don't really think that's fair, what about Assassins Creed? People don't hate Ubisoft for publishing that, and Assassins Creed is incredibly popular, and the same can be said of Bethesda or Valve. I'm sure people dislike Activision because of the developers they've ran into the ground, like Bizarre Creations, or the beloved franchises they've tired out long before their time, CoD, Tony Hawks, Spider-Man, Spyro, and lots more.
Some people do hate things specifically because they're popular, but I think it's unfair to say it's the main reason, in this case at least.

Why do you keep hating on DRM for games that aren't PC exclusive.
The PC market has been a lost cause since about 07, DRM on games that are also available on consoles is just developers pushing you to make the jump along with everyone else.
For PC exclusives like Spore though, there is no excuse.

Wow... Asking EA why people h8 EA... I didn't think it was physically possible to be that stupid... I'm going to need more that 1km worth of facepalm images before I can get close to the amount of fail in that, but I don't think that many images exist!

Jack and Calumon:
...(Also I would like a shirt and Jim is a sexy ma-)

US residents only.

It sucks to be British today.

Calumon: At least the weather's... ummm... never mind.

That is freaky... it is raining as I type this.

... oh snap! (I am near the Perth AP marker as I type this)

What stokes my rage furnace the most is how this company just doesn't give a shit about their customers or videogamers in general. I never thought I'd live to see the day where gamers have their hobby exploited wholesale by corporate demons, shareholders and IP eaters who've never even played a videogame in their lives and thus quite logically can't run a business for videogames. You're not a decent business if your sole motivation is greed.

Jimster, we love you 'cause there's a lotta you to love. <3

Jim is the only reason I still frequent this site.

(also: I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please, and Jim is a sexy beast of mansteak)

scw55:
Started playing Sims 2 again. Looked up Sims 3 on Steam out of curiosity and was horrified at the prices. The game itself is fine, so is the expansions and extensions... just the whole mass of stuff is horrifying. Yes you can buy only a few, but that won't happen. As a gamer we always want the most we can get, and we will always be tempted by the extra stuff. It's efficient business practise from them, but it's sodding well evil.

People wonder why people pirate media. Unavailability and unreasonable pricing is the reason why people pirate.

And that doesn't even include the online store, which had hundreds of dollars worth of day one DLC on release for The Sims 3. You could probably spend over a thousand dollars just to get every bit of content in that game at its full price. Absolutely insane.

Jim that was an amazing video!!! You keep making points that I want to make!!! Can I have your reach?

(I would love a gravity rush shirt and Jim is sexy.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 4442)