Blue Rose of Illium

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

shrekfan246:

itsthesheppy:

shrekfan246:

They did. The fans hated it.

OT: This was pretty good. I remember running into that datapad the first time and remembering the krogan and the asari back in ME2, and I went "Aw damn."

Hawke was a background character in DA1?

Well, okay, they didn't specifically make a game about a background character. But 2 did set it up that Hawke's family was from Lothering and they needed to run away after the Blight took it during the events of Origins.

My point was more that they decided to make a character-driven story about the life and times of Hawke and companions instead of yet another boring "Save the world" stock plot, and (without getting into a discussion about what it did actually do wrong) the fans absolutely despised it.

The reason DAII fails as a character driven piece is that all the characters besides Varric are terrible.

Damn, that was good. Like really good. Reminds me of the good times of Mass Effect, times where I cared about what I was doing, where I was pumped to fight the good fight. Those moments are what makes Mass Effect 3 so far the best game that's come out this year for me.

But damn, I hate that ending.

Speaking of which, did you guys purposely tie in your comic to hit when Bioware announces the date for the Extended Cut, or is it just an amazing coincidence? I know it's unofficial, but man, what a coincidence, if so.
If there is a PR Ninja lady at your door, keep cool. I understand.
Calumon: Is that when everyone is going to start complaining again? : (

nyysjan:

personion:
(you save the rachni queen, she's evil, you kill the rachni queen, there's another rachni queen)

Not only does Char die, but this as well?
With every bit of information i learn of ME3, i become gladder and gladder i did not buy it.

she's not evil in ME3

That was simply awesome. Fantastic work fellas!

Jack and Calumon:
Damn, that was good. Like really good. Reminds me of the good times of Mass Effect, times where I cared about what I was doing, where I was pumped to fight the good fight. Those moments are what makes Mass Effect 3 so far the best game that's come out this year for me.

But damn, I hate that ending.

Speaking of which, did you guys purposely tie in your comic to hit when Bioware announces the date for the Extended Cut, or is it just an amazing coincidence? I know it's unofficial, but man, what a coincidence, if so.
If their is a PR Ninja lady at your door, keep cool. I understand.
Calumon: Is that when everyone is going to start complaining again? : (

Complete coincidence. The strip was finished about a month back, and it was actually supposed to go live yesterday.

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone.

Well my soul hurts. Excuse me while I go cry.

They were my favourite side couple D:

But you're right about everyone ignoring everything but the ending, and it makes me sad that now that some people are finally being rational the extended cut will light up the fires again. But still, amazing work.

Wait. That comic wasn't canon and made by Bioware? You tricked me Grey! And I'm ok with that.

Honestly, that comic was great, and that part of the mission always made me cringe, especially because I always sympathized with Charr in the second game. And I always had Ereba get back together with him.

... And then that happens, and damn. At least they got to start a family.

[CAPTCHA]: easy as cake. Seriously? That comic looked like it was anything but easy to make.

I am very impressed. This is wonderful.

I also have to agree with you, that sometimes the most moving characters in the series are the ones that just chat for a bit as you walk by. The senile old woman talking to the asari clerk, the salarian whose friend sold her car to buy him better armor, the Krogan who thought he might be a father...those scenes just add so many layers to the universe; it makes feel like there's more going on than just what happens to shepard, things that make the universe worth fighting for.

Yeah, I remember that part.

"Aw fuck. Come on, not him. Not the Krogan poet!"

Also, we totally want more. Lots more.

Timberwolf0924:
my feels, they're hurting.. I love this..

As were mine. But then I saw your avatar.

OT: I find that the Mass Effect Universe is one of the most well built science-fiction universes ever made for a video game. Sure Star Wars and Warhammer have very rich fluff but those have existed for 25 plus years. This was made exclusively for video games and were then able to branch out into books; much like the Halo franchise. The ability to create a well thought out comic from a character that made you take up maybe two minutes of playing time to do everything for him is truly staggering.

All in all, great comic and manly tears were shed and yadda yadda yadda.

Well done. As painful as the ending was this reminds me how much good there was in the rest of the game. There were several scenes that brought me close to tears. Charr's story was powerful even though it was brief.

This was a great telling. I hope you guys do more of these.

You seriously need to work on your color-based character differentiation.

Bioware, make this canon. Do the right thing.

MORE! THERE MUST BE MORE MASSEFFECT COMICS!!!! I would LOVE to see all the small character Arc's of MassEffect done in this style, showing the stories that were overshadowed by the main plot.

Grey Carter:
Blue Rose of Illium

The writer of Critical Miss brings you an unofficial tale from the Mass Effect universe.

Read Full Article

*sigh*

Well, someone has to be the Devil's Advocate.

Let's start off by saying this: After this insulting display, I'm astonished that Carter thinks that he can bring up ME3's ending as though he's been in the 'disappointed' camp the whole time. Remember the exact quote he gave? Let me refresh your memory:

If you support Retake Mass Effect, you are an entitled, crybaby wuss.

There isn't much room for subtlety there. Sure, plenty of the responses to the ending were...inarticulate, to put it mildly. That's the same with any outrage over something. But after such amazing pieces like the Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage on why the conclusion of ME3 was an outright betrayal of the fanbase...nope. Those don't deserve things like 'dignified responses.' They get a chibi drawing of a weeping gamer with "Entitled, crybaby wuss" in block capitals printed over it. I'm not sure if I'm more insulted by the comic itself, or the fact that you're so plainly ignoring it when making statements like this.

It might be beating a dead horse, but I fucking wanted to be moved by this comic. If I hadn't finished ME3 and somehow been stopped during the battle on Earth, it would've brought me to tears. But do you know why it didn't? Because no matter how I finished the game, it didn't matter if Charr survived the battle, or even if Ereba somehow survived the Reapers taking over the Citadel. No matter which choice I made, they will never see each other again. I blew up the mass relays, and I blew up the Citadel. If I didn't blow up Ereba, I made damn sure that her true love will never be able to each her before they're both dead and buried.

And credit where it's due: you have a point about the emails, Carter. Stuff like the other survivor from Jack's facility (kills dozens of Husks with biotics alone before being ripped apart, allowing civilians to evacuate) and Kal'Reegar (basically the same thing, but with information instead of civies) was tragic to hear about, and understandable that I couldn't be there to witness each and every death. It's a huge galaxy, and I can't be everywhere at once.

But then there's that same problem: none of it matters. ME3's ending took my ability to care. I finished the game once and then played multiplayer. Didn't touch the singleplayer again. It wasn't out of spite, either, and it was unheard of before now for me to play a Mass Effect game only once. The way ME2 brought so many of your decisions and interactions with your squad into play during the finale was amazing, and it was everything that ME3 isn't. I loved the series, and I was actually shocked to realize that after seeing the finale play out, I didn't care about it anymore. There was no point to care. I spent three games laying the groundwork for what I thought would be one of the most amazing battles in gaming history, and then with mere minutes to go, it all vanished, replaced by a set of railroad tracks that set me through one of the worst endings I've ever seen in a good game.

Not 'worst endings ever,' mind you. A terrible ending is easy to make. An ending so terrible to a series so amazing that it robs me of my investment in that universe? That's so much worse.

personion:
This was pretty good, especially art wise. I didn't really get the meaning of the poem on the first read through (I thought it was a parody of a song of something)and I don't even remember the mission from Mass Effect 3 because it was so forgettable (you save the rachni queen, she's evil, you kill the rachni queen, there's another rachni queen) but this comic was handled excellently.

Your playthrough of ME1 must've been very different from mine. My Shepard and the Rachni queen ended up redeeming the Rachni in the eyes of the rest of the universe and the queen wasn't evil at all. Quite friendly and good, actually.

Nicely done, in every regard. And another reminder that I need to pick up ME3 at some point.

Char-Nobyl:

Grey Carter:
Blue Rose of Illium

The writer of Critical Miss brings you an unofficial tale from the Mass Effect universe.

Read Full Article

*sigh*

Let's start off by saying this: After this insulting display, I'm astonished that Carter thinks that he can bring up ME3's ending as though he's been in the 'disappointed' camp the whole time. Remember the exact quote he gave? Let me refresh your memory:

There isn't much room for subtlety there.

The devil should get a new advocate.

In order.

1: Yes there is room for subtlety, since you apparently missed the point of the strip entirely. It was pointing out how easily media outlets can monetize the anger of the gaming public by posting contrarian nonsense. Case in point: You were so angry about that strip, you just advertised it for me.

2: It's perfectly possible to disagree with the Retake movement and dislike the endings at the same time. This strip predates the one you linked by several weeks, and it pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Wonderful. You two hit cheese at hyperspeed and blasted it to cheeto-dust suspended in your cosmic wake to achieve something special. An exquisitely-crafted example of an archetype melded with the best aspect of popular culture. Bravo.

EDIT: Henry, I thought your pictures were very pretty. To my novice eye, easily on a par with what Dark Horse is producing.

This was wonderful. If these folks can be regular contributors, it would make me very happy.

Hmmm my eye had a leak I believe... Need to correct function of eye... ;)

Nice artwork and nice story, taking from the good part of what Bioware made I like. And yes the travel to the end is great it's the end that could have been... "more enjoyable"... as a friend of mine very nicely put it.

Such a great comic. I legitimately cried seeing this, because it reminded me of the moment when I experienced it first hand. I knew it was gonna be sad, because I was giving something to a widow, but as soon as I heard the words "My Blue Rose of Illium"...the floodgates opened. Thank you for this great comic about it.

Grey Carter:
Three hundred, overbearing, primary-colored seconds...

Green is a secondary color, not a primary.

Oh well, other than that and a few small things, this was enjoyable enough.

*sniff* Oh, god I'm filling up...that was beautiful guys, great work. Agree 100%, there is more to this game than the last five minutes, and the rest of it is absolutely amazing.

soren7550:

Grey Carter:

It is when one is using the additive colour system.

Bravo sir. I'm glad someone else found this as heart wrenching as I did, say what you want about it some of Mass Effect 3 was fucking amazing.

That comic was so much better than the official ones.

Please don't pretend that the ending was the only thing wrong with ME3.

Grey Carter:

soren7550:

Grey Carter:

It is when one is using the additive colour system.

Pfft, only a smarty pants know it all would use an excuse like that.

Man, I initially thought this was going to be a joke, but it turns out to be something beautiful. And intense. Yes, intense. So intense in fact that my eyes are... sweating. Yes, I'll go with that.

Kind of coincidental that I actually just finished replaying this mission tonight. And as grey said, this is one of the many side/background stories which made me really really care about being successful in the game.

And I didn't even hate the ending. UIn fact its little background stuff like this, the immersion I felt that made the final choice so difficult for me.

Wow. Just goes to show that it's the little things (stories, messages, missions, even life's little conveniences) that count.

Also good enough that I put my monitor into portrait mode.

An awesome comic, and I have but one request:

Could we get an enlarged panel of the last scene of the children playing the grass as a wallpaper? You'd make this ME fan very happy.

Grey Carter:

Char-Nobyl:

Grey Carter:
Blue Rose of Illium

Read Full Article

*sigh*

There isn't much room for subtlety there.

The devil should get a new advocate.

In order.

1: Yes there is room for subtlety, since you apparently missed the point of the strip entirely. It was pointing out how easily media outlets can monetize the anger of the gaming public by posting contrarian nonsense. Case in point: You were so angry about that strip, you just advertised it for me.

2: It's perfectly possible to disagree with the Retake movement and dislike the endings at the same time. This strip predates the one you linked by several weeks, and it pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

Does this strip count as well?

Cracking cheese Gromit!

By which I mean nice comic, would be fantastic to see more like it.

The Rachni Queen was not evil the rachni communicate kinda like a conductor and a orchestra (if the orchestra had no real will of their own). All the reapers did was overwhelm her instructions with their own. Considering their ability for indoctrination and exploitation its actually not that difficult to come to that conclusion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here