No Right Answer: Best FPS Plot Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best FPS Plot Ever

Dan and Kyle achieve the impossible yet again! An entire debate based around the best first person shooter plot ever, with absolutely no spoilers! Who comes out on top from this particular point of view?

Watch Video

Inb4 COD MW
Portal 3 and Half Life 3 will be the same game and THAT will be the best FPS plot ever!

Great video. Both of you guys made good points and I actually had a hard time deciding which of you to back lol. Both of those games had great plots, but I think I will have to admit that Bioshock's plot is superior. However, if Half Life 3 somehow manages to actually cross the canons of Portal and Half-Life, that would be the most awesome thing ever in video game plots.

And I've always been fascinated by the Halo universe. It's just so diverse and the mythology is so complex. Metroid Prime had a great plot too. In fact, the entire Prime trilogy was great.

I gotta say Bioshock disappointed on a lot of levels, and arguing things like the audio logs and plot with more plot... Sounds like you're describing its spiritual predecessor, System Shock 2 (SS1 had audio logs to boot)... Aaanyway, great episode guys :)

I would've given it to Alien vs. Predator 2.

Bioshock is way more of an FPS than an RPG. It just is.

But what about The Darkness? That had one of the most emotionally involving plots of any game I've ever played. It had a big affect on me anyway.

What happened to the beard? That beard was awesome! So many questions and no answers to be found!

No Right Answer will never be the same again...

R.I.P. beard... R.I.P.

Hagi:
What happened to the beard? That beard was awesome! So many questions and no answers to be found!

R.I.P. beard... R.I.P.

It's a different person, silly! Chris still has a glorious beard on his face, don't worry.

When I read the title I thought of Bioshock and Half Life right away. Glad you have you guys came up with the same thing.

Firefilm:

Hagi:

R.I.P. beard... R.I.P.

It's a different person, silly! Chris still has a glorious beard on his face, don't worry.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up! Now I do indeed feel silly :P

Only nitpick I have, Bioshock is dieselpunk!

Steampunk = Victorian aesthetic
Dieselpunk = Interbellum aesthetic ('20's-50's ish)

Metroid has no real plot.

Great game, but no plot; your argument is invalid.

Deus Ex. Was that in the video? I didn't watch the video.

Eh, I feel Bioshock could've cut out most of its second half. After the big would you kindly bit, it turns into shooting sploicer after sploicer over and over while a slurring drunk is yelling/talking at you. Just nothing that interesting going on.

Still was pretty good though.

Though my choice would have been Deus Ex.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson would never kill me. He would have a black hole do it.

I still like Halo better than all of them.

Of the two choices though, I think Bioshock is the right pick. If the win condition were "best narrative", Half-Life would have probably taken it. But on just plot, I think Bioshock has a slight edge.

Neither, i think Mirror's Edge has the best. The plot itself may not be the best in the world but it's the best for an FPS and works very well in that universe.

That is legitimately a tough call to make between those two games. However, I think Half-Life edges it out for me because Bioshock had a very awesome plot until the last few levels of the game (after the plot twist), but Half-Life never stopped having an awesome plot. Having a bad ending is worse than having an as of yet unknown ending in my opinion.

frag971:
Neither, i think Mirror's Edge has the best. The plot itself may not be the best in the world but it's the best for an FPS and works very well in that universe.

Mirror's Edge didn't really have much of plot. While I liked the game, the plot did need some explaining. For example, what exactly does the city do to make it so evil? We really only have Faith's word that it sucks because everyone who is with the city (that we know of) seems to enjoy life.
That and the fact that the essence of Mirror's Edge isn't really a shooter (despite the last half thinking that it was).

newdarkcloud:
Mirror's Edge didn't really have much of plot. While I liked the game, the plot did need some explaining. For example, what exactly does the city do to make it so evil? We really only have Faith's word that it sucks because everyone who is with the city (that we know of) seems to enjoy life.
That and the fact that the essence of Mirror's Edge isn't really a shooter (despite the last half thinking that it was).

Yes, Mirror's Edge doesn't have much of a plot compared to other games, and you can hardly call it an "FPS", but the question here is which is the best FPS plot - not how good the plot is in of itself but how well it is for an FPS. It pulls the strings that make an FPS go. It makes you go, it makes you want to do the mission, the objective [in the context of a first-person platformer with shooter elements].

This is my oppinion ofc and noone has to agree with it.

I'm surprised no mention was made of Ayn Rand, "Altas Shrugged", and/or objectivism in regards to Bioshock. The inherit(sp?) connections to those kind of enriched the plot of Bioshock IMHO.

frag971:

newdarkcloud:

Yes, Mirror's Edge doesn't have much of a plot compared to other games, and you can hardly call it an "FPS", but the question here is which is the best FPS plot - not how good the plot is in of itself but how well it is for an FPS. It pulls the strings that make an FPS go. It makes you go, it makes you want to do the mission, the objective [in the context of a first-person platformer with shooter elements].

This is my oppinion ofc and noone has to agree with it.

That's fair. I see where you're coming from.

Honestly, I eventually got bored of Half-Life and was happy to play through Bioshock exactly once.

The argument I would have liked to see for this topic: Marathon vs. System Shock. Runners up: Borderlands, F3 or FNV, Deus Ex.

Did Kyle really compare the Half-Life games to LOST?! Yeesh, no wonder he lost the debate. (Ha, ha, wordplay!)

I have to say, Bioshock: Rapture was a really, really good novel (Too bad they felt obligated to shoehorn in Lamb :(

I believe that last second is the first time I've seen any agressiveness from Kyle - the rarity makes it all the more discomforting. :7

Loved the threefold flash of the Mass Effect 3 ending. :9

My game lost. I'll have your souls for this.

I do agree with the statement that Biohock was 80% atmosphere, 20% plot. Maybe different percentages, but the point stands. Still, both are tarnished because of their endings, or HL's lack of one...

Also, Metroid Prime had a awesome backstory. The problem was that the methods of getting said backstory were scattered around the world, able to be missed, out of order and told just through text.

What? no mention of the epic tale of a single soldier and his quest to destroy Mecha Hitler?

Aureliano:
Marathon vs. System Shock.

Fuck yeah! With little hesitation, I say the Marathon trilogy has the best, most ambitious, most delightfully far-fetched writing in the whole history of video games. The gameplay has aged quite a bit, but the plot is just insane.

Anyone who didn't yet, go play the damn thing.

The pictures and captures inserted into these videos just get funnier and funnier. I almost choked when I saw the 'DLC videos' comment. Keep up the good work Dan!

Ha ha ha. I just finished ME3 yesterday.
I got to say I have to agree with your decision here guys. I love both these games but Bioshock's story was just a bit better.

Also, I am surprised Dan liked Bioshock's story after the "golf game" part. I liked it too, but many people say they don't.

Though I disagree and still think the Half-Life story is better than Bioshock, I have to admit Dan defended his point way better than Kyle did (you should have focused on HL2 not HL1 ! >: ), so the "win" is deserved... Anyway, back to waiting for Half-Life 3 !

Bio shock and Half-life? best plot, seriously?

DeusEx vs System Shock anyone?

BTW: I think I saw the MW series mentioned above, I really hope that was meant as a joke...

I prefer Doom 3. Go to hell, fight demons, what's not to like.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here