Near Miss

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Near Miss

Brave's arrow flies a bit wide of the mark.

Read Full Article

That seems to be the reviewer consensus, then. "It's good--but Pixar is better than this." And usually implications of the corrupting influence of the House of Mouse.

But there is a dearth of good mother-daughter relationship movies. What's the last film that had one of those as its central plot? Freaky Friday?

Well, it really IS a good cartoon, which has a lot of funny moments. And Merida herself is really likeable both from the inside and outside. Wild and good-hearted tomboy with fire-red curly hair? Yes, please.
Plus, I personally give this cartoon a few bonus points for giving her "I do, what I truly, with my heart, wish for, I'll marry the one I love when I want" instead of "I don't need anyone, nor princes, nor parents, I can do all on my own" attitude.

I lost some interest when I read that the director had been switched (because the films production had got bogged down) from a middle aged woman who wanted to make a Pixar movie for girls to a middle aged man who speaks in a fake Scottish accent & challenges people to swordfights. Think I'll still see it, though, & perhaps going in not expecting an A+ Pixar film might improve my enjoyment.

Nuts, I was hoping this would shape up to be my favourite Pixar film. I just finished reading a book with a similar 'contemporary revision of old myths/tales' theme (Orphan's Tales if anyone is curious) so it's a shame that the plot is shakier than it otherwise could be. That being said, I still do plan to watch in cinemas when I get the chance - which is a rare thing for me to want to do.

I saw the midnight release of this, and I've got to say, as much as your right Bob, i just do not care about any of the issues with the movie... I thoroughly enjoyed it and if i had the money would probably see it again. As is I'll wait for dvd.

Secondly, I think mention should be made of the "la Luna" skit that came on before the movie opening... still amazes me that pixar can, in the span of maybe five minutes, tell a better story about Finding Yourself, Passing on the Torch, Ingenuity, and the Bond Between Generations than most full length films or books.

Well that's a bit disheartening, still a good movie but not going to replace Up as my favorite Pixar. But still can't wait to see it this weekend.

You know, I wasn't all that interested in seeing Brave, but I wanted to see it simply because it's a Pixar movie and this is their first movie with a female protagonist. I'll still see it, but it's kind of disheartening to see it get a luke-warm reception.

While it's always disappointing to hear something like this, I can't say I didn't see it coming. When Braves first proper trailer came along, I found myself feeling that it was a bit schizophrenic. It just couldn't seem to decide what kind of movie Brave was. I was kinda put off by it, but figured that it didn't matter much as I'd go catch it anyway.

From what you've said though, it would sadly seem the trailer was a good representation of the final film. Though I guess I'll find out myself when Brave finally releases over the Atlantic, which in true Pixar timescales, won't be for a few months.

Seriously, Pixar take forever to localise their films.

Between this, the totally unnecessary and likely underwhelming Monsters University, and rumours of a Toy Story 4 (why, just why?), I see a concerning trend appearing within Pixar. Could it be that after so many years of consistently rising above the 'funny, but mediocre' status of most animated children's flicks, they are now starting to lose their edge?

I remember when I first started hearing about this that it was going to be a real serious action movie. Like really serious for pixar. But once the real trailers came out it looked. Underwhelming. Meanwhile. Dreamwork's new movie Rise of the guardians. Looks amazing and it's the classic dreamworks move of making a simple premise and executing it nicely. This time instead of comedy they went for badassery.

Given that after this brave movie we are going to get the monsters inc prequel which is just going to be a highschool best friends from different social structures cliche that's way to overwrought and unnecessary. I dunno. I think it's time to jump ship on pixar.

Turns out it has the same problem Yahtzee was talking about with the E3 trailers: ask yourself, what don't they want to show you?

I was immensely disappointed when I heard Pixar was making a film titled "Brave" that did not involve Symmetrical Docking.

Wait... takes too long to get to the main point of the story and an excessively large cast of one-note characters? Am I crazy or are these are the same recurring issues that pop up in a great deal of classic era (like, Snow White to Jungle Book) Disney films?

And this is really why you don't boot super-important people who were the driving force behind the conception of films from the project mid-production for reasons like "the production is going too slow." The seams of the transition will always show.

To quote one of Pixar's own characters: "You can't rush art."

GamerLuck:

Secondly, I think mention should be made of the "la Luna" skit that came on before the movie opening... still amazes me that pixar can, in the span of maybe five minutes, tell a better story about Finding Yourself, Passing on the Torch, Ingenuity, and the Bond Between Generations than most full length films or books.

Don't you think that's problematic, though? A similar thing happened with Up and after an opening that had some people in tears, there was this whole movie to go that for many, didn't quite live up to that opening sequence.

I haven't seen the movie but I do understand pacing and if you front load things too much, how can there be a proper emotional payoff?

Smokescreen:

GamerLuck:

Don't you think that's problematic, though? A similar thing happened with Up and after an opening that had some people in tears, there was this whole movie to go that for many, didn't quite live up to that opening sequence.

I haven't seen the movie but I do understand pacing and if you front load things too much, how can there be a proper emotional payoff?

"la Luna" was completely separate from Brave though. Was just one of the shorts they put before the movie, similar to "Night and Day" and "Birds on a Wire"

Gotcha. My bad!

I have an uncle who fills a bunch of roles at pixar. As he explains it Pixar is currently broken up into two halves each producing their own films. To put a point on it Cars was not completed by the same studio that created Toys.

Yeah this is the Cars studio. So no surprise that this is lacking in comparison to the other heavy hitters Pixar is known for.

Well, worry not Bob. If anything I'm more inclined to see the movie now than I was before (that is, a slight possibility instead of a definite NO).

Besides, it's Pixar. If they weren't connected to Disney I'd watch their movies on principle alone. It doesn't matter what "branch" of Pixar it is.

piscian:
I have an uncle who fills a bunch of roles at pixar. As he explains it Pixar is currently broken up into two halves each producing their own films. To put a point on it Cars was not completed by the same studio that created Toys.

Yeah this is the Cars studio. So no surprise that this is lacking in comparison to the other heavy hitters Pixar is known for.

That puts an interesting light on the situation.

So the Pixar B-team was on the job then?

I admit, I didn't think it would be very good when I saw the trailer. It's giving off that Dreamworks vibe.
I thought they might surprise us though (because it's Pixar) and put an interesting spin on the whole "Princess runs from a marriage" thing.

But from the reviews I can gather it goes for the lowing hanging fruit of "Our Female hero is empowered because all Men are silly poopy heads, isn't that interesting!?"

This reminds me a lot of the reviews for Promethous: a movie that strived for something significant and didn't quite make it. Almost everyone prefaces their reviews with "For Pixar, this is a letdown."

I suspect I'll still like it, but much like Promethous, my expectations have altered.

Wow I disagree with Bob on most everything but this review dead on like Merida's arrows.

Simply put not counting cars this is the worst pixar movie. Which is sad because it had a lot of potential as to turn the Disney princess thing on its head.

The movie had several good elements none of which were fully explored. The backstory of the clans, the magical elements like the witch and the wisps, the reasoning behind the importance of the traditions.

It felt like was two 45 minute tv show episodes stuck hastily together.

Ain't gone to see it yet (still need to watch prometheus) but it's on my to watch list.

Shame to hear it's merely "good" as opposed to "stellar", but an ok pixar film is still better then 90% of animated films out there (very conservative estimate) in my mind.

Given how much crap the studios are putting out, I see nothing wrong with the public and critics having much higher expectations and standards for one studio that has proven it is capable of producing movies that aren't safe, and easy.

Saying Brave is good, but a disappointment with it's handling of it's first female lead as another product for the Disney Princess Merchandise Machine™ in an easy story with one-dimensional characters isn't asking too much of Pixar, because it's consistantly done so much better before.

The story for Pixar's first female main character is just too by the numbers with it's all too cliche "Girls/princesses just can't do that!" trope and the sitcom-like portrayal of every male character as one-dimensional buffoons or little boys is just too easy.

Once again, I find myself silently nodding in agreement with Bob. I just got back from watching it, and after reading this, I can't help agree with Bob on pretty much everything he said.

The main character and her mom, as well as the interaction between them, is really good, and is easily the best part of the movie. But the pacing problems do get in the way a bit.

"Underwhelming for Pixar" is something everyone seems to be saying, and it's pretty accurate. I could really see this as a Dreamworks movie, it certainly feels like one. And I don't mean that as a knock against the movie, it's simply a matter of the tone the movie presents.

Brave is good, but definitely near the bottom of the Pixar list. But then again, the Pixar list is pretty much dominated by freaking awesome movies, so you could definitely do worse.

I would venture to say that we're witnessing commercial concerns trumping artistic ones. Cars may be lower on their acclaim list but it is undoubtedly their biggest money maker. I'm willing to bet 2 high-fives that this one will take second place.

Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Wall-E, and Up have bought a lot of leeway for Pixar. They haven't lost me yet, but I may have glanced at the door for the first time.

I wonder if anyone was nervous when 'Monsters, Inc.' was set to open in theaters. It was basically the first Pixar film released that didn't have John Lasseter at the helm. 'Brave' could have fallen short due to new directors given a crack at a film, which is something I neither dislike nor discourage. As others have mentioned, it could be that Disney stepped in and tangled around with inner workings.

As much of a letdown this may be, I don't think anyone should look at this as the start of Pixar's twilight period or something. 'A Bug's Life' doesn't stand up to most of the Pixar roster, but it certainly didn't spell the end.

Just hoping Pixar will be able to get far, far away from Disney and soon.

GamerLuck:

Oh yeah I agree, that had to be the best Pixar short they ever made.

Lots of great symbolism and everything was told without saying one word

Well, just got back from seeing it. I have to say, if Brave supposed to be disappointing for Pixar, no one else is fit to be the dung on Pixar's heels. I think the Io9 review was spot on, this time.

For me, the biggest issue was how predictable it was. With the other Pixar films, you are left wondering: "just what are they going to do with this concept?" With Toy Story, the concept is living Toys, except it also delves into much deeper themes of mortality and rejection.

With Brave, you could telegraph every single moment in the film. If you've seen a princess film before, you know exactly what will happen, and when. It was good, but it was conventional.

Falseprophet:
Well, just got back from seeing it. I have to say, if Brave supposed to be disappointing for Pixar, no one else is fit to be the dung on Pixar's heels.

What this guy said. I'd personally put it at number three of the best Pixar films (Up and Wall-E battle for first and second). It's gorgeous, it uses its main plot hook (which did come a bit late) very well, it made me cry a bit. AND IT USED CORRECT ACCENTS.

Finding Nemo was most profitable and cars 2 was 12th in the listing at http://www.businessinsider.com/which-pixar-films-made-the-most-money-2012-6?op=1

*STILL really likes the Cars movies*
Screw you guys im going home...
*weeps*

I have really mixed feelings on this. Don't get me wrong they all say it's good it's just the how and whys. It seems to me there are two really good movies in there vying for attention. The mother daughter thing and the family unit thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here