Escapist News Wrap: The Old Republic May Go Free To Play And Best Gaming Dad

The Old Republic May Go Free To Play And Best Gaming Dad

This week, the Australian government introduces a new R18+ rating, The Old Republic might go free to play, and Nintendo hopes to attract hardcore gamers with the Wii U.

Watch Video

"How much would you pay for an Ad-Blocker."

Nailed it.

The link saying "BioWare Considers Free-to-Play For The Old Republic" actually leads to this article "Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, Ending DLC Details Leak" ... might wanna fix that.

Anyway on-topic, I wish my dad had done something similar with my room when I was a kid... xD

More reasons to despise, criticise, and pay less attention to EA.

Is this a new thing, or have I just never noticed it before? Guess the new layout is doing its job :) I like it very much. Concise and informative - all I could ask for.

Also, butts.

Oh dear EA. You really shot yourself in the foot with that one.

Also, I'm liking news wrap so far. I hope it continues for a long time.

Brainst0rm:
Is this a new thing, or have I just never noticed it before? Guess the new layout is doing its job :) I like it very much. Concise and informative - all I could ask for.

Also, butts.

Eh, you're not too far behind. Last week was the first official episode.

Liking this news show. EA are really wishing on a star if they think Dead Space 3 will sell that many units! Then again its no where near as bad as Activision who are putting ridiculous numbers and contract terms on Bungie's new IP Destiny! They will pay Bungie 2.5 million a year if they stick to budget & deadlines, and a further 2.5 million if it reaches a metacritic score of over 90! Not to mention they'll cancel the contract if it doesn't sell 5 million copies 6 months after post launch! If that wasn't ludicrous enough they want it to make 750 million dollars in the first year! They are also restricting Bungie that only 5% of their staff are allowed to make a new Marathon game!
Activision can still show EA who is more evil & stupid at times

Well, if TOR goes free to play, I will come back, even though I have a free month because of my legacy level but whatever.

I like this video news feature, but I feel it could benefit from a few small things, namely:
-better echo cancelling equipment (I actually found the echo a bit distracting)
-some kind of visual transition between news when they aren't marked by "..and finally, in other news, etc." I thought the transitions were sometimes abrupt between news items, and this would improve the overall flow of the show.

This is only my opinion though, and I feel the feature is very well made so far :) Keep it up!

Nice format guys, tight and interesting!

One small remark though: sometimes Steve will pause between sentences (during the same topic) which comes off as slightly awkward.

My two denaries.

EDIT: I guess he does that too during reviews, but somehow I noticed it only here.

I'm liking this new series. It's a good way to catch people up on what they missed without forcing them into the archives.

I must have missed the first one. This is a nice roundup of news. keep up the great work!

The Star Wars MMO guys have a point, if your business is failing then try a different tactic, after all the first rule of business is to turn a weakness into a strength (second rule is sell everything, if someone wants shoes and you don't have shoes in your stock room, sell that customer your shoes)

Needs more handlebar mustache though.

Grape_Bullion:
More reasons to despise, criticise, and pay less attention to EA.

How would I laugh at them if I wasn't paying attention to all the stupid, schizophrenic shit they do?

Congratulations Australia, you've finally entered the 20th century. I know a few people that will be glad about that.

Not that I disagree with that dad, but how is copying an existing art style and characters going to inspire creativity? Just splitting hairs here, don't freak out on me.

Nice work folks.

Great tone. Don't go softer please :) .

Justin, you can improve intelligibility by cutting room resonances, broadly cutting at 700 Hz(lav centric stuff) and using a multiband expander to push down room reverberation around Steve's words. Some transient control plugins, like the SPL transient designer are said to do well at this too. These are amongst the techniques we use to mix slightly reverbarant dialogue. Hope this may be of help to you.

Keep up the great work. Love the new site.

DigitalSushi:
The Star Wars MMO guys have a point, if your business is failing then try a different tactic, after all the first rule of business is to turn a weakness into a strength (second rule is sell everything, if someone wants shoes and you don't have shoes in your stock room, sell that customer your shoes)

Needs more handlebar mustache though.

You're not wrong.

I like this! Great recaps to weekly news and goings on and more!

I like the idea of Old Repubic going FtP in the sense that it will bring in more new blood but on the other side of that coin, te quality of that new blood is often questionable when they stand to lose nothing when the banhammer falls. It is pretty much unavoidable though so, silver lining it is.

Love the news recaps.
Now I can catch up on the storys I missed throughout the week.

summing up the weeks news in text was always kinda lackluster for me since i have already read them but i really love this format.

Free to play would get me interested in the Old Republic. After burning out on World of Warcraft I never want that feeling of having to play because I'm not getting my money's worth if I don't. I really don't mind paying for extras in World of Tanks because even if I don't play for a while my stuff is still there.

I want to toss in that I'm also loving this new news round up feature. All the gaming news I might need without having to pay for cable TV.

I like this idea. Quick little news round with all the top news stories rolled into 1. Clever idea if I'm in a rush. Good job guys.

Oh cool, Steve has a show now!
I missed last weeks. Keep on keeping on, Steve!

I got words for you Mr Butts. :) You need a co-anchor.

The reverb of the room you're in, and the tone of your voice is to... soothing, I want to say. You need someone else to break up your delivery so that the viewer doesn't zone out.

Just thought I'd offer some help! :) I look forward to more.

So origin cutting prices.. hehehe

Yup you cannot change the times.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or