Zero Punctuation: Lollipop Chainsaw

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This was a way more positive take than I was expecting, even granting his previously expressed fondness for Suda 51.

Still not paying $60 though; call me back in 6 months.

templar1138a:
Don't know, don't really care. Like Yahtzee said, Juliet is actually pretty progressive and a bit of a satire compared to other female protagonists of her ilk.

Indeed, I didn't mean to imply LC was problematic, just if that was what went through the minds of the people you mentioned.

Being fairly interested in feminism myself, may I ask where one might find such petitions?

GamemasterAnthony:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video before commenting further.

While I'd be willing to listen to someone's argument from the other side of the issue, I'm not sure someone who uses the argument "People who claim this game is sexist are simply xenophobes/racist towards the Japanese" helps to validate that other side.

The mood of this video seemed way more subtle than what I would expect from Zero Punctuation.

It's disappointing to see even Yahtzee fall in line behind the "video games are sexist"-crowd. Then again, he did the same thing with the "RE5 is racist"-people. Video games and gamers still have a lot of growing up to do.

F' da haters(IGN) this game is great. If it just had a couple more stages.

templar1138a:
"Your faithful student,
Yahtzee Croshaw"

Yeah, when I saw trailers for this, I was indifferent. And then I came across a thread where someone was asking if this game was ruining the industry. My response was that games like Lollipop Chainsaw are really just the B-movies and pulp novels of video games. People consume them because they provide simple stimuli without any attempt at pretense. And while I don't consume those things, I have no problem with them existing. If you can make money by making a game that has no purpose other than to pander to the desires of the lowest common denominator and can do so without trying to claim your work is supposed to be a fine example of art, then more power to you.

Captcha is "goody gumdrop." The name of my ridiculous zombie-killing game will now be "Gumdrop Weed-Whacker."

Did someone really ask if games like this were ruining the industry? Over, say, Call of 'let's re-skin it once a year, no-one even notices' Duty? It's not Shadow of the Collossus but I think we can allow one developer the fun of releasing dick-joke humor in video-game form.

OT: I bought it, I liked it, it isn't particularly advanced but it's got enough content to at least make it enjoyable for 6-8 Hours. Plus dialogue.

GamemasterAnthony:
In fact, I'm calling a new rule. Anyone who talks about Other M's characterizations in ANY light are now required to watch this video before commenting further.

While I agree with MovieBob's film reviews about 90-95% of the time, when it comes to his Game OverThinker vids that drops to about 60%. This was one of the ones I disagreed with.

I found Extra Creditz' and this guy's counter-arguments to be far more convincing.

Vitriol levels seemed low... Nice bike, tho.

As to the game, sounds like a renter-- which I had figured it would be. Let's face it, everyone would've been super-surprised if it had been substantial and deep game, given the title.

Just what the hell is "fucked" about wanting to protect Lara in the new Tomb Raider?

I'm sorry Croshaw, but you really jumped the shark with your contrarian bullshit on that one.

Everyone seems to ignore the fact that nick is a completely disempowered, objectified and abused character, this runs parallel to Juliet to really serve as a criticism of this kind of objectification.

Its a nice bit of social commentary that mocks the very consumer this game has been targeted at.

Ha ha - the guy jerked off a cock . Isnt that visualy funny ?

Falseprophet:

GamemasterAnthony:

While I agree with MovieBob's film reviews about 90-95% of the time, when it comes to his Game OverThinker vids that drops to about 60%. This was one of the ones I disagreed with.

I found Extra Creditz' and this guy's counter-arguments to be far more convincing.

There's also this guy's videos on the subject http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ww_NwjC0Q . They're very in depth, I suggest checking it out.

Shinji Mikami helped on Killer7 as well.

so a rental at best, well I might still pick it up for just my inner anime fan-boy wants all of that dlc/costumes to mess around with.

Between Super and Slither, if you haven't heard of James Gunn, that's your problem. Also, I thought the same thing here as I did when you said it in the Bayonetta review, if it's intentions are clear, why should anyone care that someone's masturbating to it? There's someone willing to masturbate to virtually anything on the internet, if you haven't noticed.

I will play this at some point... perhaps not right away... but when I do I am going to get the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness costume the game offers and pretend that the Necronomicon has somehow bitch slapped Ash Williams and turned him into a girl to annoy his sense of manliness and he now has to fight zombies in a highschool to get to the book and change himself back into the Man who is a Manly Man.

Eternal_Lament:

GamemasterAnthony:
Yahtzee, really...I am VERY disappointed in you. The Other M characterization dead horse has been stripped of it's skin by now.

While I'd be willing to listen to someone's argument from the other side of the issue, I'm not sure someone who uses the argument "People who claim this game is sexist are simply xenophobes/racist towards the Japanese" helps to validate that other side.

He was only saying that the ones who used the argument "It's Japan. They always do that" are who are xenophobic. Not everyone.

Only problem with the game was it's abysmal usage of QTE's and its mediocre combat. If those were improve it could easily top many games this year, alas, this is not so.

uneek:

Eternal_Lament:

GamemasterAnthony:

He was only saying that the ones who used the argument "It's Japan. They always do that" are who are xenophobic. Not everyone.

Well it can't be argued Samus's characterization in Other M basically stems from the japanese society's view of women. The producer, Yoshio Sakamoto, wrote the script as well, and it's really obvious the guy is a mysoginist.

I pre-ordered this game for around $40. Not quite a budget game price, but I was pleasantly surprised how goofy and fun it was. Yes, it's similar to other Suda 51 games, but if you have played and enjoyed other Suda games (not just watched a video and decided that you are above all that) you might enjoy this game as well. His games weave very interesting, crazy, surreal stories. This one being a more lowbrow very alternate universe were it's OK to be a kick ass Buffy-ish slayer, and it's got great writing/voice acting in the style that only Suda can pull off. While the gameplay isn't broken, it is sluggish. I will say that, load times withstanding, the way in which different game mechanics come into play was something that I really liked. (Aside from Zombie Baseball. Yahtzee wasn't lying about how hard and just horrible that was.) If you like hack-in slash games give this one a try.

On a side note, as I'm really curious of others thoughts about a trend I saw in other posts. Is it the subject mater, genre or the presentation of this game that has a lot of people rolling their eyes at a Sudo 51 game being quirky? All of his games have been insane in style and story. But in correlation a game from Hideo Kojima, like any new Metal Gear, though part of an ongoing universe will be very similar in story and how it's told/played to it predecessors. Is it he quality or style of the the game in comparison to others? Are we just getting more jaded?

It's funny when Yahtzee has to talk about someone who has to try too hard because of what the public expects of him.

uneek:

Eternal_Lament:

GamemasterAnthony:

He still left little room to actually grant valid arguments that the game's portrayal was mishandled. For one thing, while it's true that he may have been going for that logic, he was basically implying that everyone was following that logic. He didn't even mention reviewers or journalists who had valid arguments, he simply pointed to 4chan message boards and implied that those were basically the entirety of the arguments. For all his talks about how he hates strawman arguments he himself is the worst offender of it

ChaosDragoness:
I've seen some gameplay of this game on the youtube channel of my favorite game commentator, and I have to say that I'll take a pass on this one. It might be QUIIIIIRKY, but it's just too repetitive for my taste.

Is it Robbaz? I love Robbaz haha also this game seems way too repetitive for me to consider.

GamemasterAnthony:

We are supposed to take the opinion of Bob Chipman, one of the biggest Nintendo backers, and one of the few critics I've ever seen actually defend that game, as a defender for Other M?

Yeah... no. Metroid could have had her dancing with full on jiggle physics on a pole as a primary attack, and he'd still defend it. As far as video games go, Chipman has the integrity of the hobo down the street with a tinfoil hat.

Try the Extra Credits video on Other M instead.

OT: Combat got repetitive, and that bugs me. Part GodHand, part Bayonetta, but not as good as either.

Michael Ellis:
Just what the hell is "fucked" about wanting to protect Lara in the new Tomb Raider?

I'm sorry Croshaw, but you really jumped the shark with your contrarian bullshit on that one.

The fact you're taking one of the strongest females in gaming and being told by the director that you should "Protect her and nurture her" like she's a Barbie doll or something. It's unneeded, and bloody stupid to boot.

Yahtzee's thoughts on Lollipop Chainsaw mirror my own the the extent that he and I both utilized the same broken AAX combo throughout the entire game. Seriously - that move is insanely powerful.

Lollipop Chainsaw is good for a laugh, good for killing some time, but at the end of the day, more of a rental game and less of something to own. Listen to Yahtzee on this review because he's pretty much got it down.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Michael Ellis:

The fact you're taking one of the strongest females in gaming and being told by the director that you should "Protect her and nurture her" like she's a Barbie doll or something. It's unneeded, and bloody stupid to boot.

That wasn't said by the director, and that wasn't even what was meant. The idea is that you'll REALLY want to see Lara succeed, that they want to make you feel as thought if you were there, you'd want to do everything in your power to protect her. It's called building empathy for a character.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Try the Extra Credits video on Other M instead.

Now those guys just went way overboard trying not to laye blame for the script on anyone. But I'm sorry, Other M was in development for years. Creating it took hundred's of people's time and attention. When the script of something like that is written and approved by the same person, and the script turns out horrible, you don't blame the production companies who had nothing to do with the script for how the script turned out, you fucking blame the guy who wrote and approved the script.

NinjaDeathSlap:
He talked about this I think in an Extra Punctuation last year, where he said that he always get a cold around this time in the summer.

Winter. He's in Australia, remember...

Michael Ellis:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Michael Ellis:

That wasn't said by the director, and that wasn't even what was meant. The idea is that you'll REALLY want to see Lara succeed, that they want to make you feel as thought if you were there, you'd want to do everything in your power to protect her. It's called building empathy for a character.

The difference is, a game doing this to Nathan Drake as a young teenager would not even get close to being approved. Because males in gaming aren't allowed to be "weak". Same exact genre, practically the same gameplay (Uncharted took more than a few pieces from Tomb Raider), yet one character has to be made "weak" to advance a story.

I laughed when Yahtzee slapped the newest Tomb Raider game for obvious reasons plus realized he's right about the protagonist of this game- the Lollipop girl doesn't need protection or someone to save her. She mainly has her boyfriend tagging along but it's just his head so lol to that.

I think this game is good, I would give it a 6/10 which is better then decent but not good enough in my opinion. Could use improvements but at least it's something new. I'd rather have games like these show up then say the .. FPS shooters that constantly get put out there even to blend with our beloved games that do not deserve to be shooters *hugs Dead Space 3 in despair*

Duffeknol:
I was surprised he managed to fill 6 minutes talking about a game this repetitive and empty.

Particularly when you consider how short the game is, but at least it has the lower price point (which no one has seemed to point out) of 30 rather than the normal 40.

Michael Ellis:

Well she "was" a cocky confident explorer in the previous games, now in the recent videos it seems that man "and" nature wants to see who can beat and manhandle her into submission first!

That's like saying you want a game that only focus is so you can "protect and comfort" Kratos or Master Chief cause apparently they're too "helpless" to defend themselves from the scary monsters, what? did that sound ridiculous cause they're "men"? If so then that's a contradiction

It's bad enough that Samus was given a apron and basically told to stay in the kitchen in Metroid the other M is not helping our defense as gamers objectifying women as weak wiled sex objects that are only there to look pretty on the box art and to be saved by the burly self-assured hero.

You can practically hear the feminists growling in the distance...

You know, the beginning/ending of this show is consistently WAY TOO FUCKING LOUD.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Michael Ellis:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

The difference is, a game doing this to Nathan Drake as a young teenager would not even get close to being approved. Because males in gaming aren't allowed to be "weak". Same exact genre, practically the same gameplay (Uncharted took more than a few pieces from Tomb Raider), yet one character has to be made "weak" to advance a story.

Nathan Drake is nothing but a modern day Indiana Jones. A pulp character. Someone who has the same enthusiastic reaction to a bunch of people attempting to kill him as to getting a parking ticket (oooh boy). Don't get me wrong, he's funny, but he's not a particularly deep character.

This new Tomb Raider game is a reboot. Crystal Dynamics are creating a new, better, more believable, more human Lara Croft, and like it or not, that involves portraying her just like any unexperienced person would be portrayed, male or female, in her situation.

Nuaghty Dog could very well pull off the same thing with Nathan Drake, but he and his games are too popular right now for Naughty Dog to want to make him a deeper character.

Besides, if they'd ever do that, they'd have to put effort into rationalising Drake being a mercyless career criminal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here