No Right Answer: Best Cutscenes Ever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Best Cutscenes Ever

New cutscenes have been inserted to "Fix" the ending of Mass Effect 3, thus proving the power of good cutscenes in any game. What game wields that power towards the greatest end?

Watch Video

oh boy does it feel like this episode will get lots of hate.

Of these two, I haven't actually played Max Payne, but the Brawl cutscenes were definitely awesome. I agree more with what Kyle was saying though, so I agree with the outcome.

Not sure what I would choose, hrrmmm...

Edit: So the Metal Gear games (rightfully) get a lot of flack for their abundance of cutscenes, but I really think they are also some of the best, especially Snake Eater. Maybe the awesome parts don't make up for the extremely long-winded parts, but I'M RIGHT DAMMIT!

Final Fantasy what? Mass Effect what? Dragon Age what? Left 4 Dead what? Command and Conquer what? Diablo 3 what?

I could go on and on.

I know you somewhat touched on them existing but this was "BEST cutscenes ever" and neither of those games comes anywhere close. Not even the same ballpark.

I have to say that the best cutscenes ever were from the original StarCraft. Each cutscene was a short little reward for making it past certain milestones in the campaign. More importantly, more than any other Blizzard game, the cutscenes in StarCraft got progressively more cool the more difficult the preceding missions were.

Yes for Max Payne
Because no 4th wall :D

Heh, good timing on this one. The next game in my queue is a replay of Max Payne, because I've never played Max Payne 2.

So Chris got hired by Nintendo? Nice!

I have not played the original Max Payne, but I have seen some of the cutscenes. They are very well made. I personally prefer the Brawl cutscenes, though. There's just a little more charm to seeing characters interact without actually saying anything. The fact that they are (mostly) iconic Nintendo characters makes it even more charming. It knew what it was, and did it well enough. I do think the better argument was made for Max Payne, though.

Unrelated: Nothing beats the little tea time scene in brawl

My personal favorite cutscenes: I do think MGS deserves a lot of the flack they get, but the cutscenes are also certainly memorable, and have solid gameplay behind them unlike a lot of other cutscene heavy games. 1 and 3 in particular get the nod from me.

PS: Congrats to Chris on the new job.

I have to say that I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution's cutscenes, they cut the game at a reasonable pace to give the narrative... But it's the maximum amount of cutscenes I could take into a game before getting bored of them. Saint Row 3 had some wacky cutscenes too. XD

I enjoyed the cutscenes from Red Alert 2 and it's expansion.
I think the purpose of a cutscene really depends on what one is trying to achieve with their game. I haven't played Max Payne so it's hard for me to say for sure, but from the sounds of it the cutscenes in Max Payne did what they were supposed to do as did the ones in Brawl.
Regardless one thing is for certain cutscenes need to be short, sweet, and to the point so as not to rob the player of gameplay. I'm looking at you Star Ocean: Last Hope. Yes that whole

looked really cool and all, but the effect was kinda lost on me since I was on the verge of nodding off.

No Blizzard? OK then.

Of the two choices I agree that Max Payne is better but there was really no contest. Brawl is fine for what it is, but the panels showing us Max Payne's tortured life in that game were definitively amazing. At the time there was nothing else like it.

Eri:

I know you somewhat touched on them existing but this was "BEST cutscenes ever" and neither of those games comes anywhere close. Not even the same ballpark.

Hey, at least the chosen two are far better than what you listed. Reason being because I said so!
Funny how opinions work.

burningdragoon:
Edit: So the Metal Gear games (rightfully) get a lot of flack for their abundance of cutscenes, but I really think they are also some of the best, especially Snake Eater. Maybe the awesome parts don't make up for the extremely long-winded parts, but I'M RIGHT DAMMIT!

I for one enjoy Kojima's work, regardless of his long windedness. He also has a great imagination when it comes to cut scenes.

Such as..

Sure, some of them can be long, but the ones like these are highly entertaining. Now the ones where they're explaining stuff, and he repeats the questions, those get old...

As far as memorable and setting the mood I would have to go with Command and Conquer myself, though I'm not sure which of those games I liked the most for cheesy live action cutscenes and occasional battle cinematics. But they made up a big part of the personality for all the games.

Eri:
Final Fantasy what? Mass Effect what? Dragon Age what? Left 4 Dead what? Command and Conquer what? Diablo 3 what?

Not going to touch Command and Conquer or Left for Dead, but I think the conversational scenes are technically gameplay, so some could argue that the Bioware games have the least amount of cutscenes there is.
And they mentioned Final Fantasy games, they're under the 'gets in the way of gameplay' section, thoguh I agree more with you, seeing as no one plays final fantasy for the 'playing' part.

Best cutscenes... that's a weird one.

I've never really been that interested by comic book style cutscenes. They're okay but really over rated. They're essentially a static picture with a voice over. You can barely even call them cutscenes.

I would say maybe GTA or L.A. Noire. I know the guys said they get in the way in Rockstar games, but that's crap. In every single one I've played they haven't at all.

Wrong. Its the one from mass effect 2 when they're escaping the collector base. Super bad guy speech, awesome music and just escaping from a giant explosion. Superjolly.

Yeah Max Payne over SSB:B anyday!

Albeit there are far better cutscenes out there - but there we go!

I like the trolling of having FFVII pretty prominently displayed there. Well played sirs.

Let's see, good cutscenes....

Disgaea

Awww yeeah

Or Tales games, the little side cutscenes you can run into are the best ever. Funny, expositional, character building, and if you don't want to sit through them, skip them.

Super Smash Bros Brawl wins because of this.

Sheik is drinking tea.

Your argument is invalid.

I think you guys need to drop the "Best Ever" part of your continuing arguments and just go "Better than his pick" because... yeah, as pointed out by others, neither of these games should be in contention for "Best Ever." Glad you addressed that point at the very end, while I was already over here typing this only listening to you two go on about the things you didn't bother including in your argument, but that doesn't change my comment. Try Better than rather than Best, because the off the wall picks are fun to listen to, but the whole time I am listening I'm just disagreeing with your selection in my head rather than even listening to you argue or engaging the content of your videos at this point.

I have to go with Xenosaga series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXGIkv6paY4

Sure, its 4.5-9 hours of cutscenes per game.
But heres something for you to consider.

You say something like "we want to have short cutscenes, to get back to the great gameplay".
But what if that game, has horrible, horrible gameplay, but Spectacular Cut Scenes? What if your playing, and you want to rush to SEE the cutscenes, because they make the game so much more enjoyable?

Heres some examples of why I love xenosaga.
Spoilers obviously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JXGIkv6paY4#t=12877s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yr8WdYS8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA64xG502K0 - One of my favorites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FYCfzf3BpTk#t=3831s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ3Bf7xO2vQ

And yes, Xenosaga = davinci code + Crack. :P

Advertisement inception! Dungeons&Dragons side bars, click the video and it opens up in a Civ V ad, and then the vid plays an ad for Skyrim: Dawngaurd....

Hope you guys are getting paid correctly for all them ads.

i would argue Asura's Wrath having the better cut scenes then RE4 >.> just sayin

but of those two, defiantly Max Payne.

in general >.> i donno, Blizzard dose good work for sure, so dose Square. far as games individual games go .... i donno that's a hard one to call, mostly cause i've seen a lot of really good cutscenes.

also, nice dig on Boringware there ;) i approve

Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3, Metal Gear Solid 3

And for their time Silent Hill, Parasite Eve 1 and 2

Still, Max Payne is one of my favorite games so I'm happy with the result.

I think Brawl had a rather childish charm in it's cutscenes that just couldn't be achieved in game. That's why I liked the cutscenes, they were quick cartoony setups that flowed straight into brawly action goodness. As for my personal favourite, Sonic 06 is a goo- PFFT. I can't even make the joke... It's just that silly...

Daystar Clarion:
Super Smash Bros Brawl wins because of this.

Sheik is drinking tea.

Your argument is invalid.

Also, I agree with this.

The Half-life series. You can name anything else if you want to be wrong.

My vote goes to every Sucker Punch game, mostly the Sly Cooper series.

I enjoyed some of the elder scrolls scenes, while you are still in control most of the time, I think it's interesting to consider.

Also, my personal favorite is star craft.

Max Payne out of the two.
Personally, Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy 7...

In R&C 3, the cutscenes felt natural and expected. They weren't too long and you got a kick from watching them.

*dons Bioware fanboy hat*

Dragon Age!

esperandote:
Silent Hill 2 [...]

I thought I was going to have to mention it, so thank you!

... the scene between Maria and James still gives me the shivers. "I'm not your Mary".

Hitchmeister:

Wait, what? I mean, sure, they're fantastic games and all, but technically there's not a single cutscene among them, so they're not even in the running.

I think the best cut scenes belong to Saints Row 2 Because....

1. You got to rewatch a lot of them.
2. Your character was customizable during those (even in rewatching).
3. You could replay through the missions without the cut scenes interfering.

Crimson_Dragoon:

Hitchmeister:

Wait, what? I mean, sure, they're fantastic games and all, but technically there's not a single cutscene among them, so they're not even in the running.

Sure there is, Its called a non-interactive ingame cutscene.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here