Escape to the Movies: Ted

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ted

If every child's wish came true there would be so many more ponies.

Watch Video

MovieBob:
Ted

Watch Video

I wish we had Ponies. Very specific ones.

Listening to his album right now. Very good stuff.

...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.

I would probably have to wait until I can rent it but I do want to watch it.

I was curious to see if this worked or not, it really looked like a terribly unfunny premise but the trailers kept me laughing. Might have to go see this one.

mercifulwrath:
...I disregarded everything after he said that he liked The Cleveland Show.

That must have made for a very long and boring video to watch.

I see this movie has the same stupid obligatory fight scene that about 30% of Family Guy consists of in order to eat up time.

It's funny because he's fighting a teddy bear.
It's funny because a teddy bear is smoking pot.
It's funny because a teddy bear is humping a cash register.

Seth MacFarlane surely is a comedy genius, turning what used to be one of Family Guy's random flashback jokes into a feature film.

Good time and bad times and even a bear!

Damn I love me some Cleveland show.

I only first became aware of this movie yesterday, and my first thought was wondering what Bob had to say about it. I was expecting him to hate it. Kind of a surprise there.

And I'm kind of with him on the quality Seth's shows. I don't really understand all the hate for Family Guy. I like it. I don't love it, but it's generally good. I like American Dad about the same. Sometimes Family Guy is better, sometimes it's worse, but the shows are generally on par with each other. The Cleveland Show is terrible though. The whole premise of the show seems so artificial to me. It's a spin off for the sake of a spin off, not because it was needed in any way. The comedy is completely uninspired, and I feel like the only reason they have the bear character in it is just because that's what Seth does. He puts characters in who shouldn't be able to talk but do. The character doesn't have a fleshed out personality and is generally really boring, while other unusual characters Seth creates are usually good in their own right. They would work if they were normal people. But that bear just feels like it was put in there because Seth felt like he had to.

Combining this with Ebert's review of the thing (guy has to know something about dumb/bad movies if he actually wrote a Russ Meyer movie) I think this is my winner this weekend at the movies. Would have still liked a little shout-out of 'I told ya so!' or 'didn't hate it at much as I expected: must...disembowel...self' in terms of Spiderman though.

Edit: just saw Ted. Not sure I see what all the fuss is about to be honest. About 10% of the jokes are legitimately funny (a few gems are hysterical in fact), but 90% of the jokes really are just 'Teddy bear does things unbecoming a Teddy bear.' If you got bored of that joke on Family Guy or any other Seth MacFarlane project this will not change your mind.

Watch it on Netflix when it comes out. Don't bother with it in the theater.

Sometimes funny is just.... family guy.

Seriously.. I saw Mcfarlane on the Daily show, where they talk about the "borne identity" like fight scene.. and Immediately any chance this film had for me, was obliterated, for basically regurgitating the peter "Chicken fight" gag with live actors and it was confirmed here with this split second clip of it.

So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off. (hint:Bobcat Goldthwait did it better)

Basically thats Mcfarlanes formula... Shit he found on the internet/tv/movies/elsewhere, mixed in with pointless filler material and likely musicals.

So to willingly give this guy money to reward him for this non work so more of this kinda crap can be made? Not gonna happen.

Guess I am in that hate it camp on McFarlane. I try to watch his work periodically cause he at least tries to change, but it seems increasingly it only gets worse.

Oh Bob, why are you so like you?

*does an episode of the big picture about how formulaic is not inherently bad*
*wanted to mark this down as formulaic and therefore bad*
Seriously, what?

I was going to see this anyway, just because of the Boston setting. Glad to hear it's actually funny.

When I heard about this movie I knew I was either going to hate it or really like it. Glad to see it's probably the latter this time around. I will get around to seeing it when I can.

Thanks Bob!

Is see some plastic anatomically incorrect tourist attraction given a brief Cameo in a Boston movie really that big a deal?

*puts on sunglasses*

...You bet Jur-ass-ic is!

RaikuFA:
Listening to his album right now. Very good stuff.

I love the album. It always puts me in a great mood if I listen to it on my way to work. Who'd have thunk it, huh?

I am totally seeing this one.

viranimus:

So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off.

Argh, ninja'd. I wanted to mention that Unhappily Ever After had basically the same premise only the guy had a family and the bear was a rabbit but other than that it's really pretty much the same set up.

Radoh:

Seriously, what?

Well, he means that being formulaic doesn't mean the whole movie is bad, but being too formulaic can get in the way of the enjoyment of the movie. Like he said you can pretty much see every part coming. However, like he also said, the movie is so funny that it doesn't ruin it for you. He said about the same thing for the Avengers. You can predict pretty much what's going to happen, but it's still so well made you don't care. But some people still care, so he has to mention it.

Anyone else immediately reminded of that robotic teddy bear from...that one movie....with the little kid android.....

AI, that was it. Somehow makes the foul mouthed teddy bear seem funnier when I think of that one.

PsychedelicDiamond:

viranimus:

So yeah... I seriously get the feeling, Seth, like many of his inspirations, happened to come across reruns of "unhappily ever after" and worked his magic and ripped it off.

Argh, ninja'd. I wanted to mention that Unhappily Ever After had basically the same premise only the guy had a family and the bear was a rabbit but other than that it's really pretty much the same set up.

And Unhappily Ever After itself was basically "Wedded... with Offspring."

I'm surprised that you're surprised at Mila's comic abilities. Have you not seen That 70's Show? She pulled her weight every time she was called upon.

Just terrible.

How could you review this instead of Magic Mike?

MovieBob:
Ted

Watch Video

If every "child's" wish came true, I hope my "pony" (or rather, pegasus) doesn't turn out like Ted.

Lord Beautiful:
Just terrible.

Personally, I was hoping for a review of Brave, but this was next on my list.

Looks funny. I love me some Seth Mcfarlane.

I'm surprised he liked this! And I REALLY want to see it. It looks fucking hilarious.

Z of the Na'vi:

Lord Beautiful:
Just terrible.

Personally, I was hoping for a review of Brave, but this was next on my list.

Looks funny. I love me some Seth Mcfarlane.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

There you go, he just could fit this and Lincoln.

Radoh:

Seriously, what?

I was thinking the same thing. C'mon now Bob, don't confuse us like this.

I might give this one a chance. The trailer makes it look really funny, if anything it might turn out to be a good hangover-flick.

Aaaand while we're on the subject of Family Guy... yes, I absolutely love the first three seasons. Everything after that, sure, there's usually at least one brilliant joke in every episode, but there's so much crap you have to go through to get to the good parts. I think it's a shame since I still hold those first three seasons as some of the funniest TV ever made.

drisky:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/9760-Near-Miss

There you go, he just could fit this and Lincoln.

Ah, I understand now.

Thank you for the link.

Mila Kunis gives me the weirdest boner..

Radoh:

Seriously, what?

Nothing wrong with Formula. I think he, like me, find it a little silly when we can predict plot points from scene to scene.
I've already pointed out the "Obligatory falling out of friendship" scene from the trailers. Seems every movie in existence must have that kind of plot development BY LAW.

Honestly, Bob isn't lying about this movie. I've seen a few reviews on youtube about Ted and they all said one thing in common- that this movie made them bust up laughing the whole way through. If a comedy movie can make professionals laugh so much, then it's indeed a success in my eyes. I will be seeing this, for every review has given this props for being hilarious and that's more then enough for me.

MovieBob:
Ted

Watch Video

.. Would it be funny if I told you that men from ages 18-30 also wish for this too? [1]

[1] Do know that I am not putting these guys down, in fact.. I am one of them wishing some of the characters from MLP:FiM were real too lol.

MovieBob LIKES a crappy popcorn film... Surprise, surprise!

I'm sorry but am I only one who still wonders why Seth Mcfarlane isn't unemployed and living on welfare?

He has some how mastered the art of doing thing that others, who are far better than him, have already done and far better.

Ted is one of those films that is made to be forgotten, like any of Adam sandlers films.
It's not Oscar worthy... Heck! it's not even noteworthy!

My advice... Do what the man with the accent says and "save your money"

I really can't wait to see Ted. I thought the trailer was fucking hilarious.

Ted does look funny, I'll give it that. And in a surprise twist that surprises absolutely no one, the latest Tyler Perry "Maeda does something" abortion wasn't shown to critics.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here