Escapist Podcast: 51: Stomping Robots, Roasts and Game Genres

Pages 1 2 NEXT

51: Stomping Robots, Roasts and Game Genres

Loud neighbors and game journalists, beware.

Watch Video

Every time the topic of games that create new genres comes up I say Minecraft. It follows the ieda of one game does something new then another popularises it. Minecraft was inspired by Infiniminer and Dwarf Fortress. Now Minecraft clones are a dime a dozen. It's going to take a few more years for anything significant to come out of this but things are looking like this could become something of a genre. Yogventures is a good example of what can come out of this. Although I can see it being very hard to make anything else with these mechanics for a while just due to the fact that Minecraft fans are like rabid honey badgers that'll will threaten to burn your house down if you do something even remotely similar to Minecraft.

Thanks for breakfast, Susan. <3

I love this podcast every week.

that's exactly why i haven't yet seen so much as a screen shot of game of thrones. i've told myself that i will give it a try at long last, as soon as i can go five minutes without somebody telling me how amazing it is.
that and... i'm told "if you like lord of the rings, you'll love this" yeah well... i don't like lord of the rings... i've been playing games since i was a wee bairn, i was bored - out - of - my - SKULL with the medieval fantasy genre looooong before i heard about lord of the rings.

Great show guys. I especially loved this episode a lot!

As far as things that are too hyped for me to get into: The Walking Dead, Hunger Games and Game of Thrones *Cue sharp intakes of air and angry mobs readying to run me out of town*

Loud neighbors.
I lived in an apartment below a nice family. The father was a military recruiter who I spoke with often (tried to recruit me once, back when I was a pacifist). The wife I never met, though I think she was Italian. And they had a daughter who was I guess three or four. Nice family.

Loud as hell.

They apparently had a treadmill set up in the room above my bedroom. I'd often wake up to *thump, thump, thump, thump* and the music of 3 Doors Down (AAAAARRRRGH). The little daughter loved to run around, or loved to try to run around. More thumping...

My response to being woken up early in the morning like that? Throw tennis balls at the ceiling really hard!

But they weren't as obnoxious as the Harley-driving asshole who cranked up his bike often between 2-3AM and just set there revving the engine for ten minutes. It was soooo freaking loud. I threw a tennis ball at him. And then I hid...

Ask and you shall receive.

Mini muffins and corn will follow shortly.

^^Awesome

The closest to "GTA in space" I can think of would be Freelancer. And I'd LOVE a new Freelancer.

I can very much sympathise with the loud neighbours problem. I had a similar issue with my neighbours stomping around at all hours. Except they were 2 floors down >.<. It still sounded like a heard of elephants.

Jaded_Muffin:

Ha! That is fantastic! Looks just like Steve. :)

Greg

Wait, wait, wait. Did someone just mention 'Father Ted'? I always surprised that the English found it as funny as they did but Americans watch and enjoy that show? Mind = blown.

Don't get me wrong I think that's great but its humour is just based on such a specific cultural landscape that I'm shocked that it travels.

On anime note
Persona4 anime is really good :D
But I never played P4, so I have no idea how close anime follows game

Great episode as always, noisy neighbours? I always prefer to ignore it, but noises never really annoy me, I just turn what I'm listening to up louder. If someone wanted to get into a sound war with me they'd loose, simply because I can easily filter out external sounds...

Jaded_Muffin:

Yes. Just... Yes.

Yeah I remember the old days (AKA the 80's), where if you played games you were either a little kid, or a nerd. It wasn't until the play station broadened the audience that it was "OK" for teenagers to play video games to not be considered nerds.

I'll admit when that first happened I was a bit put off. That kind of "You haven't earned what I've earned, get out of our playhouse" mentality. YOU weren't persecuted for you hobby, YOU didn't live through that, that's OUR thing.

I've sense then lightened up a bit, and grown wiser. Which is why when this happened again with the Wii and the "casual games" thing, it didn't really bother me.

I keep getting bothered to play 4th ed "D&D", it annoys the hell out of me. Yes I get it that I like 3.5 (and PF), it doesn't mean I'll like or move on to 4th.

Edit:

Nevermind, that's a bit too personal for a public post.

Susan, have you tried capsaicin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaicin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.

bravetoaster:
Susan, have you tried capsaisin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaisin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.

I haven't, no. You think I should just mix that in with the seed? I have tried chili pepper suet, but that was before the first squirrels ever showed up (this wasn't a problem last year), so I don't know if it would work or not.

Susan Arendt:

bravetoaster:
Susan, have you tried capsaisin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaisin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.

I haven't, no. You think I should just mix that in with the seed? I have tried chili pepper suet, but that was before the first squirrels ever showed up (this wasn't a problem last year), so I don't know if it would work or not.

There might be someone who can offer actual expertise (or first hand experience) on it to offer better--or at least more specific--advice, but I'd think just mixing it with the seed should work. Going by a quick glance at an actual science-y article (digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=icwdm_wdmconfproc ...hopefully that link works), it might not completely stop squirrels from eating the seed, but they should eat a lot less (and less often). Good luck! I hope that works well for you.

bravetoaster:
Susan, have you tried capsaicin (or at least a good, strong hot sauce/chili peppers) for the bird feeders? Not sure if it'll properly deter the squirrels, but birds--in contrast to mammals--lack to receptor that makes capsaicin hot/painful. Hopefully the squirrels would move on to easier (or less burny) food sources after that. ...and no one would have to harm (or spin) poor, hungry (okay, maybe just greedy) squirrels.

Just on a side note, our Chemistry department has a dare/event where they have volunteers take a teaspoon...maybe table spoon of capsaicin. My friend just kinda laid in his room for a really long time >.>

Jaded_Muffin:

You're my hero, have a cookie ^_^

So while I was listening, I had this crazy scene pop into my head of bran muffin being pushed out a window of the spaceship and getting stuck or a comment of that made as a throwback to Game of Thrones XD
.... well I thought it was amusing >.>

If the engine room muffins are twins, shouldn't they have rhyming or similar sounding names like... Cherry and Berry? Just my two cents. Is there somewhere where I can put up some sort of manuscript or write up that I can link to? I'm not very internet literate for a programmer >.>

Finally: New genre of video games?

Second person shooters. Think side scroller where you're placing as many obstacles and hazards in front of your character to keep him from killing you, but ultimately, s/he has to live and you have to lose. The challenge is how close you got him to lose before you did... idk, just a thought :P

(o.\) <-- emo smiley abides

Someone seriously needs to make Space Muffin a thing, and I'd watch/read/whatever the hell out of it.

OH! What if it became a game and the muffins had their own guns that can shoot their respected muffin type, like strawberry muffin can shoot strawberries and the bran muffin can shoot bran or the little oat seeds. Their enemy can be cupcakes since they're like the unhealthy twin species of bake goods.

Ok, I'm done.

bravetoaster:

Susan Arendt:

bravetoaster:

There might be someone who can offer actual expertise (or first hand experience) on it to offer better--or at least more specific--advice, but I'd think just mixing it with the seed should work. Going by a quick glance at an actual science-y article (digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=icwdm_wdmconfproc ...hopefully that link works), it might not completely stop squirrels from eating the seed, but they should eat a lot less (and less often). Good luck! I hope that works well for you.

There's a squirrel out there right now. Sigh. Got into a serious squabble with the red-headed woodpecker.

Why the hell would you start talking about that Angry Birds barbecue just when I was drinking something?! To avoid spurting water all over my computer, I practically had to inhale what I was drinking! Still... that was really funny and it sounded like that barbecue was really awesome.

Jaded_Muffin:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
Someone seriously needs to make Space Muffin a thing, and I'd watch/read/whatever the hell out of it.

Ok, I'm done.

If I write the story in small clips, how would you feel about drawing it? If something's going to happen, I guess it should be soon before the idea becomes... dare I say, stale XD

thewanderer41:

Jaded_Muffin:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Ok, I'm done.

If I write the story in small clips, how would you feel about drawing it? If something's going to happen, I guess it should be soon before the idea becomes... dare I say, stale XD

Sadly I can't draw that great, muffins probably yes, but not people. :(

Fiz_The_Toaster:

thewanderer41:

Jaded_Muffin:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Ok, I'm done.

Sadly I can't draw that great, muffins probably yes, but not people. :(

That was actually directed at Jaded_Muffin, but let me run this by you and tell me how it sounds. So the opening part is zooming in on a kitchen-like area on the spaceship. A bell dings a light next to a door that span an entire wall changes from red, to green. The door unlocks, releasing a puff of hot air and steam. As the doors open, a figure slides out to reveal Blue, the captain of The Celiac. He glides out to the controls where a large muffin looks intently at panels of flashing lights and readouts.
"How close are we to the drop point, Muffin Top?"
"Should be there in a few minutes, captain. Do you want me to wake the rest of the crew?"
"No, that's fine. I'll go find Corn Bread and Oats. We'll deliver the cinnamon without waking the rest of 'em"
"Hey, ya know how Corny feels about being referred to as bread"
"Yeah, but it keeps him on his toes (muffin wrapper?)"

So as it's a space show, it's obviously a trap. Now the military that I picture are the Space Bucks who are sentient coffee. Since they're a liquid, they move around by moving their body within flexible shells, kinda like starfish... or squid. Anyways, their ideal, because they can manufacture specialized troops for any situation, such as a double expresso latte, heavy on the froth, light on the milk, with a dash of cinnamon and raspberry.

They escape by the skin of their teeth in which several muffins get hurt. Muffins don't die when dismembered, but can be "glued" back together by doughing their pieces back together and sticking them in the oven to rest. They receive a sketchy transmission from a shady bagel (did I really just type that?) about a large cinnamon deposit he wants mined and delivered from a remote desert planet.

Oh and I pictured the muffins didn't have arms or legs, they just kinda push themselves around telekinetically.

Other members of the crew include:
Cherry and 'Berry Cherry flavor and Strawberry flavor Teenage science whiz and teenage technician/inventor extraordinaire aka The Twins. They take care of the engine room and upgrade the ship as time goes on. Both female. Or one female, one male.

Bran Ship's doctor. Grumpy and likes being cynical about everything especially as it relates to the crew's health while on missions. Once got stuck in the outer door of an airlock --> Corn Muffin to Pumpkin: "The things I do for love" (opens air lock)

Lemon Comms officer. A quick wit lies behind this pretty face. Not only does she handle starship communications but she also find Blue the information he needs to get his job done

Crumble Muscle? His eyes are never seen as his crumbles seems to cover most of the top part of his face...kind of like an overlarge afro. He doesn't talk much, just grumbles and helps the crew move stuff. He's got a big heart and keeps the crew safe

Pumpkin?
Chocolate?
Poppy?
Banana?

And that's 13, a baker's dozen folks.

...Oh man, I think way too much about this.

thewanderer41:

That was actually directed at Jaded_Muffin, but let me run this by you and tell me how it sounds. So the opening part is zooming in on a kitchen-like area on the spaceship. A bell dings a light next to a door that span an entire wall changes from red, to green. The door unlocks, releasing a puff of hot air and steam. As the doors open, a figure slides out to reveal Blue, the captain of The Celiac. He glides out to the controls where a large muffin looks intently at panels of flashing lights and readouts.
"How close are we to the drop point, Muffin Top?"
"Should be there in a few minutes, captain. Do you want me to wake the rest of the crew?"
"No, that's fine. I'll go find Corn Bread and Oats. We'll deliver the cinnamon without waking the rest of 'em"
"Hey, ya know how Corny feels about being referred to as bread"
"Yeah, but it keeps him on his toes (muffin wrapper?)"

So as it's a space show, it's obviously a trap. Now the military that I picture are the Space Bucks who are sentient coffee. Since they're a liquid, they move around by moving their body within flexible shells, kinda like starfish... or squid. Anyways, their ideal, because they can manufacture specialized troops for any situation, such as a double expresso latte, heavy on the froth, light on the milk, with a dash of cinnamon and raspberry.

They escape by the skin of their teeth in which several muffins get hurt. Muffins don't die when dismembered, but can be "glued" back together by doughing their pieces back together and sticking them in the oven to rest. They receive a sketchy transmission from a shady bagel (did I really just type that?) about a large cinnamon deposit he wants mined and delivered from a remote desert planet.

Oh and I pictured the muffins didn't have arms or legs, they just kinda push themselves around telekinetically.

Other members of the crew include:
Cherry and 'Berry Cherry flavor and Strawberry flavor Teenage science whiz and teenage technician/inventor extraordinaire aka The Twins. They take care of the engine room and upgrade the ship as time goes on. Both female. Or one female, one male.

Bran Ship's doctor. Grumpy and likes being cynical about everything especially as it relates to the crew's health while on missions. Once got stuck in the outer door of an airlock --> Corn Muffin to Pumpkin: "The things I do for love" (opens air lock)

Lemon Comms officer. A quick wit lies behind this pretty face. Not only does she handle starship communications but she also find Blue the information he needs to get his job done

Crumble Muscle? His eyes are never seen as his crumbles seems to cover most of the top part of his face...kind of like an overlarge afro. He doesn't talk much, just grumbles and helps the crew move stuff. He's got a big heart and keeps the crew safe

Pumpkin?
Chocolate?
Poppy?
Banana?

And that's 13, a baker's dozen folks.

...Oh man, I think way too much about this.

Ok, I wasn't sure about that.

Also, I love you for that. You deserve to be loved.

SPACE MUFFIIIIIN! :D

Wow, I have so much contempt for Andy Dick right now.

Interesting fact about Phil Hartman, he was also a graphic designer, the Crosby Stills Nash logo? his handywork.

I hear what Susan is saying about not wanting every random anime shoved in her face (My brother used to work at Goodwill and I have a bunch of anime, amongst other things, that he couldn't sell sitting in my closet). So considering the recomendee I'll casually suggest Sgt. Frog. It's about frogs, from space! trying to take over earth!

If that description doesn't make you a little curious, I don't know what will.

I see your Guy on a Buffalo and I raise you Dan Akroyd's Crystal Head Vodka.

Scone, he's the Yeoman, very brittish and propper. Is the target of most the twins' practical jokes.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers, and I'd say the biggest thing about it that inconveniences my social life is the facial-blindess. I don't recognise people, or their facial expressions very well. Following a live-action tv show can be difficult, for example. I guess that's a big reason why I like scifi and fantasy; they have different-looking characters, and since it's expected the audience doesn't recognise how they feel, for example, it's clearer for me.
Still, I prefer animation or books/comics.

It's not that I can't symphatise with people, I can, when reading a book, for example, analyse the behaviour of the characters, and anticipate how they'll respond to situations, but with people, it's like I have no good idea of what they actually mean or think.
Like, when exactly are you supposed to lie to people? I never got that. Since quite a lot of 'courtesy' involves lying, and I'd kinda prefer it if people were honest with me and say what they mean.

And for the record, I do feel akward, it's just that I can't tell in the moment that I'm mishandling the situation. It's afterwards that I wonder if I got carried away with talking about things I like, or if I offended the other person (again) without knowing.

Lieju:
I have been diagnosed with Aspergers, and I'd say the biggest thing about it that inconveniences my social life is the facial-blindess. I don't recognise people, or their facial expressions very well. Following a live-action tv show can be difficult, for example. I guess that's a big reason why I like scifi and fantasy; they have different-looking characters, and since it's expected the audience doesn't recognise how they feel, for example, it's clearer for me.

That's really interesting, Lieju, that sci-fi is easier to understand for someone with Asperger's. I never thought of it like that. I wonder if that's why so many of us nerds enjoy fantasy and sci-fi, we're all a little bit on the spectrum.

Greg

Greg Tito:

Lieju:

That's really interesting, Lieju, that sci-fi is easier to understand for someone with Asperger's. I never thought of it like that. I wonder if that's why so many of us nerds enjoy fantasy and sci-fi, we're all a little bit on the spectrum.

Greg

Scifi and fantasy also have characters that are non-human but try to understand humanity, looking at it from the outside.
I've always identified with those kinds of characters the most, in every Star Trek series that 'outsider' has been the one I can identify the most. Spock, Data, Odo, The Doctor, (Enterprise had the vulcan chick, but I just prefer to pretend that show doesn't exist) etc.

I think a lot of people who hang out in the Internet and are obsessed enough with some series to discuss it in forums do have at least some characteristics of Aspergers'. Maybe not enough for the diagnosis, but I think a lot of self-diagnosed people have some of it.

(I myself don't have nearly as big of a problem with Asperger's as some people I know or have read about do. )

It really becomes a problem if it's used as an excuse, whether you have it or not. An excuse not to even try to be social or find the kind of social circles you fit in, an excuse for failing in relationships, an excuse to just be rude at people and not care about their feelings.

Although, I do mention to people that I just don't recognise people. And that if I act like I don't recognise them the next time we meet, that's genuinely because I don't, and that if they see me around, they can come and say hello, because it's unlikely I will.

I know someone who has the same problem, and she writes down names and characteristics of people she meets. I'm just kinda too lazy for that.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, when it comes to communicating through text only, non-aspergers will have Asperger's symptoms. Not understanding the intent of the writer, for example, whether they're being sarcastic etc. So people on the Internet might become more Asperger-like in their communication.

A big reason why I feel most comfortable communicating through text is because it feels like other people are on the same line. Talking face-to-face, since they can tell how I feel, it's like they can read my mind and are in an advantage.

Endocrom:
I see your Guy on a Buffalo and I raise you Dan Akroyd's Crystal Head Vodka.

Oh, I assure you, I am all over that. He came through my old town promoting it and I waited in line for an hour to buy a bottle and get it signed ... just because of that video. :-D

I must say that out of the podcat, the commentary on Aspergers was probably the most interesting. I really feel it's todays version of ADHD in that, while it certainly exists and is a major issue in the lives of some people, it's become the catch all personal or self diagnosis for any sort of social issue. Have trouble fitting in our getting along with others? Must have Aspergers. Trouble in school? Aspergers. Kind of a jerk to others? Aspergers. Etc.

Like I said, I don't doubt for a second that it exists and that it's a real issue for people. It's just become something of a convenient excuse for those who feel they need to have an excuse for themselves or others, and that ends up demeaning people who really do have to deal with the complications of the condition on a day to day basis.

People whom claim they are bi-polar on the internet get under my skin as well as media portrayal of BPD. I I'm Bi-polar, I know because a psychiatrist told me so without even knowing it runs in my family, and to see the people on TV act like complete psychos or people self diagnosing... it just drives me insane.

Incidentally, when people asked me for anime to watch, "What kinds of things are you into?" is always my first question. When someone says they just hate the style, I recommend Jin-roh, but in the same turn, I explain that the movie is slow paced and story heavy, so if you can't watch a movie that doesn't have an explosion every 10 minutes, it wont be fore you. I just narrow it down based on the responses I get.

I didn't listen to last weeks podcast till today though... so I certainly wasn't going to send things.

Scott Prigrim was terrible... except when the gay guy was on screen... he tore that movie up.

I was pretty against reading the Dresden Files... but my mom pushed it on me pretty hard core... and I don't regret giving it a try at all.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here