The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Steve Butts:

... at the end of the video... was that you trying to murder some butterflies with vampire powers? That's dark man... like "supporting the Stormcloaks unironicly" dark.

Swimming towards Solitude? Um, you just have to use a boat. Also, you CAN push your followers out of the way when they're blocking a door way. And the mounted horse combat was added in a patch, not this DLC (Just pointing out, not a point of contention with the review or anything).

Anyway, yeah, this DLC isn't worth the $20 and the Soul Cairn is terrible.

So more of exactly what I disliked about Skyrim to begin with. Impactless, consequence-free gameplay. Just a few extra toys fill the meaningless game world with.

Duffeknol:
So more of exactly what I disliked about Skyrim to begin with. Impactless, consequence-free gameplay. Just a few extra toys fill the meaningless game world with.

So much this.

Duffeknol:

Hell, it's even more consequence-free than before. They took out the hated at the most starved stage effect to idiot proof being a vampire now that everyone will become one.

I liked the dawnguard, and the crossbows are badass if you upgrade them and have some powerful archery perks. It's easily the most powerful weapon in my arsenal, and I tend to use swords and upgrade them more. I sneak around with an upgraded cross bow and snipe dudes on master difficulty and they tend to go down in one hit.

Want to do better on horseback?

Dont try turning around in melee, run off a way and come back for a pass at people.

Wait, so once again in games I am not allowed to be a super powerful villain? Seriously, the trailer gave me the impression that I would be able to help blot out the sun, but apparently we don't want to get too crazy here. I mean, god forbid there be an interesting choice in Skyrim...

tmande2nd:
Want to do better on horseback?

Dont try turning around in melee, run off a way and come back for a pass at people.

Eh, what's the use though? Mounted combat is a joke in the game. Even Dynasty Warriors got it right.

Far as I can tell, you're limited to only being able to swing at one side. Being on horseback should of offered a bonus to your attack strength to offset the inherent disadvantage. Heck, bows are even worse on horseback seeing as the best kind of damage comes from being in stealth, which can't be done while galloping about.
I've slaughtered whole camps of bandits and then some on foot, in the time it took for me to kill a few.

And the change to vampires isn't going to make me change my choice of being Werewolf. Even without ever using the transformation it has advantages, whereas vampires are just plain weak. This additional Lord Form does nothing but attempt to give them some ground to stand on next to the werewolves. Heck... I don't even use the were form! I kill dragons in the time it takes to change into one!

Surprised how many people dislike Skyrim in the comments. However I understand it's not for everyone. Still, I think Dawnguard was worth my $20 plus despite some stuff lacking from the two major groups- the items, the perks for werewolves/vampire lords, and more.. it is worth it :D

Caramel Frappe:
Surprised how many people dislike Skyrim in the comments. However I understand it's not for everyone. Still, I think Dawnguard was worth my $20 plus despite some stuff lacking from the two major groups- the items, the perks for werewolves/vampire lords, and more.. it is worth it :D

To be honest, I was planning on buy skyrim when it came out as GOTY edition. Same deal with Fallout, no point buying the game and the DLC seperate when its cheaper to wait.

*End of the video*

CURSES! A RIVER! DX

I CANNOT CROSS IT...

Ooh! A butterfly. ^.^

KILL IT! >:D

OT: I wish I had Skyrim to begin with. :(

I've enjoyed it. Although, I've started up the Dawnguard quests on a character that hasn't been to Blackreach yet and I'm not really looking forward to making that trek ... again. Maybe I should just train the whole zone, find a high vantage point and fire up the old Lightning Storm ...

Yeah, I never really liked Skyrim as much as Oblivion, and this DLC, and other people's comments really are justifying my point. I'm starting to think that the success of Bethesda's recent games has gotten to their head somewhat, and when a large majority of Oblivion fans weren't too impressed with Skyrim, they just lobbed in a load of stuff people were asking for in Oblivion to make it appeal to them too. I heard countless people request Horse-back combat, Crossbows, Polearms, and almost an extra god knows how much of Dawnguard's content for Oblivion back when, and now they just throw them in like mad. If they put in throwing weapons (A well missed concept from earlier Elder Scrolls games.) in the next Skyrim DLC, I think it's fair to declare it official that Bethesda are just trying too hard to appeal to everyone. I think it's also pretty fair to say that a good majority of people only bought Skyrim because of the stupid "arrow to the knee" joke (If you can call it that.), or Oblivion's success. I may sound like I'm bashing Skyrim for being popular, but it's just generally worse than Oblivion in every aspect, and not even all that good without comparison anyway. I must say, though, the graphics of Skyrim were actually awfully impressve (With few exceptions.), with special mention going to improved beast races, especially Khajiits (Though the horns on Argonians really didn't quite suit, and were probably just added to make them look closer to dragons. I want my Dorsal Ridges god damnit!... However, the head feathers were pretty cool. Still rather have ridges, mind you.).

My complaint with the DLC isn't necessarily with the content - I'd go so far as to say that the locations and scenery and power additions and whatnot were some of the best in the game. My issues were with the - *gasp* - story.

You can summon the horse outside the soul cairn? Hmmm, Shadowmere is still cooler. Still need to go be a werewolf again to check out those new perks. Or to see what happens if you walk into the expansion as a werewolf since technically they're immune to diseases like vampirism.

That bit about the story is disappointing. I wanted to join the vampires so I could blot out the sun myself!

So its no Dragon Age 2 then...

It strikes me as odd that they bothered to give you a choice if they weren't going to commit to making it meaningful. I mean why bother? Just make a vampire DLC. Who is going to miss the Dawnguard? Maybe they felt the DLC had to have an option for 'good' characters who did not want to be vampires. That puts them in a weird position, I guess. But Knights of the Nine didn't have an opposing 'bad' faction to join and it was quite popular. I'unno'.

Still, though I have not beaten it, I think there is a lot of value in the Dawnguard DLC. There are a lot of improvements and features I would really hate to do without. It also turned vampires and werewolves from something I had to try but would likely never use into something I'll probably use regularly. And as much as I hate to admit it, vanilla Skyrim was hurtin' for another long questline.

So far, all the reviews I have read complain either that there is no new territory a la Shivering Isles or that the two questlines are too similar. Both are minor letdowns. I think Kotaku even said it was a 'don't buy'. But it's well done overall and a good value for $20. It seems to me Dawnguard is pretty high quality stuff, it's just not what people were hoping for. Let's face it, we wanted the next Bloodmoon! Personally, I would gladly take two proper expansions over one expansion and a slew of DLC.

Fingers crossed for a full-fledged expansion next!

You know for a guy who has lived for centuries, he's rather short sided in plan making. Sure, on the short term getting to go outside all the time would be great, but they'd have a distinct regression in their food sources in not too long. Hope they like munching on Falmer and Chaurus.

Duffeknol:

It's funny how attractive that sounds to me lol. Not the 'meaningless' part but the 'extra toys' for my gameworld part.

They made some attempts to give the main quest visible impact on the people of Vvardenfell in Morrowind and a lot of people complained about it. It mostly took the form of annoyingly repetitious congratulatory dialogue. That may be part of the reason they haven't tried harder to give your victories more visible impact.

Personally, I think they should embrace other types of stories then "you must save the world from- who cares? Just save the world". It doesn't fit the nature of their game worlds and it lends itself to lazy writing anyway. We all know the world isn't going to change much, so why not write a story that allows that to make sense? I mean not every story has to feature an existential threat to everyone and everything. Get them away from that and they may even write something interesting by accident (besides exposition/lore, they're great at that) .

Michael Poe:
Hell, it's even more consequence-free than before. They took out the hated at the most starved stage effect to idiot proof being a vampire now that everyone will become one.

I may be one of the idiots. I neglected to do much as a vampire in Skyrim, probably because it was such a chore in Oblivion. It was very cool to gain the powers of vampirism and accept the consequences. For an hour or two. But the consequences just amounted to busy-work in practice. Feeding and avoiding the sun wasn't a fun or complex challenge, it just wasted my time. I'll see if I enjoy being a vampire in Skyrim+Dawnguard.

Michael Poe:

Duffeknol:

Well that kinda suc- err, bite- ... Frick.

So I'm confused on one point: the review says both questlines (vamp and Dawnguard) have basically the same goals. Does that mean the vampires and the Dawnguard are both fighting to protect the sun? I thought the whole point of the vampire thing in this was going to be trying to snuff out the sun. O.o

Basically plays like the Civil war quest lines in that it makes NO difference who you side with, the outcome is the same (that being nothing changes). The characters are definitively better then other quests though and the story interesting enough.

Compared with what the the Vanila game gave you for $100aud this is a pretty good update.

Compared with previous TES titles, it still sucks balls.

I was super excited about Skyrim, bought it at launch, played one character to about level 43, then put it down and never picked it up again. Something about it is just, I don't know, very "blah" feeling. Not like Morrowind used to feel at all.

Mygaffer:
I was super excited about Skyrim, bought it at launch, played one character to about level 43, then put it down and never picked it up again. Something about it is just, I don't know, very "blah" feeling. Not like Morrowind used to feel at all.

I feel the same.

For me its the fact that the story doesn't make sense, is told extemely poorly and nothing you do matters.

Soopy:

Mygaffer:

I feel the same.

For me its the fact that the story doesn't make sense, is told extemely poorly and nothing you do matters.

Its a shame, I am not sure where they went wrong but Skyrim holds none of the old magic for me. I know plenty of people love it, but I am hoping the next Fallout will give me that open ended, personalized open world RPG experience I have been craving. Perhaps the next generation systems will also lead to some more interesting experiences.

Daveman:

Steve Butts:

... at the end of the video... was that you trying to murder some butterflies with vampire powers? That's dark man... like "supporting the Stormcloaks unironicly" dark.

I saw that and raced off to the threads to comment on it, but you beat me to it. I caught that bit at the end and thought, "That . . . that's just not right."

Soopy:

Mygaffer:

I feel the same.

I dunno, Morrowind felt like that to me, too. It just looked uglier to boot. And had infinite diseases to annoy you with in the red mountain areas.

Mygaffer:

Soopy:

Mygaffer:

I feel the same.

Its a shame, I am not sure where they went wrong but Skyrim holds none of the old magic for me. I know plenty of people love it, but I am hoping the next Fallout will give me that open ended, personalized open world RPG experience I have been craving. Perhaps the next generation systems will also lead to some more interesting experiences.

For me its simple, they went wrong when they decided to make every choice the correct one.
There is no consequence for anything, and a choice without consequence is almost an insult IMO. (It strikes me as being treated like a special needs child)

Not only is there no consequence for actions the world is static. I'm not reffering to pointless NPC's with pointless schedules to keep. But When the main antagonist is vanquished NOTHING HAPPENS. When the Civil war is ended NOTHING HAPPENS.

People complain about the Mass Effect ending. Heh, at least it had an ending. Skyrim must have been written by Damon Lidelof...

Shjade:

Soopy:

Mygaffer:

I feel the same.

I dunno, Morrowind felt like that to me, too. It just looked uglier to boot. And had infinite diseases to annoy you with in the red mountain areas.

The story in Morrowind was infinitely better and your character had a developement process.
Skyrim, you walk out of a cave, down the road and ZOMG YOUR THE DRAGON BORN!!!!
Then you get led by the nose for a few hours and everyone ignores you.

Mygaffer:

Soopy:

Mygaffer:

I feel the same.

I feel the same. Skyrim just didn't give me that same wonder as Oblivion did. It might have been that it was my first real open world fantasy RPG and now that I've gotten used to the internet crack that is WoW, it doesn't seem very special anymore...

Soopy:

Shjade:

Soopy:

I feel the same.

The story in Morrowind was infinitely better and your character had a developement process.
Skyrim, you walk out of a cave, down the road and ZOMG YOUR THE DRAGON BORN!!!!
Then you get led by the nose for a few hours and everyone ignores you.

There's definitely a more gradual climb for the Nerevarine than for the Dovahkiin, but I wouldn't say that makes it "better" by default. It just means you had more fetch quests to complete before people decided ZOMG YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE. It's equally arbitrary. At least in Skyrim you actually do things that pretty clearly show you are this chosen whatever, whereas in Morrowind you're basically just an adventurer who people decide must be this prophesied hero because you're doing cool stuff for them.

I don't remember any Nerevarine-specific powers akin to the Dovahkiin's inherent connection to Shouts. Maybe it's been too long since I played it, but I'm pretty sure you're just Some Adventurer and kind stumble into the whole Nerevarine deal.

As for the story: both games have pretty choppy stories by virtue of their open-ended non-linear do-what-you-want gameplay. They both struggle to keep a clean, smooth, coherent story in line when they have so much space for faffing about in between. I mean, look at what you said: you walk out of a cave, down the road and suddenly, bam, Dragonborn. Sure, that can happen. Or, if you do what the guy you exit the cave with tells you to do (Split up, don't follow me), you could end up going the other way, find yourself in Falkreath, and before you know it a month has passed and you're embroiled in the conflict between the Forsaken and the far west city with the name I can't remember off the top of my head with no one having mentioned anything about this Dragonborn business.

To me, Morrowind and Skyrim feel pretty much the same in terms of story quality, in that I didn't really play either of them for the story (as I find neither compelling in that respect). For the open world and gameplay, however, Skyrim definitely has the upper hand. I will say I seem to recall I liked the factioning setup of Morrowind more, though. I dunno, maybe I just miss the Morag Tong.

It should also be mentioned that if you choose to become a vampire lord while doing the Dawnguard side of things it breaks the storyline until you cure yourself.

Again, morrowind wins another round. They made a good chunk of DLC for it too, and each and every one was just about as epic as the main quest. And of course the sequels after it totally fall off a cliff face down in shit.

Add the following to morrowind from skyrim:

Graphics(Including models, etc)
Combat mechanics (with some tweaking)
Engine
???
Profit! (Game of the fuckin century)

Ah well... This wasn't exactly a surprise. Since oblivion it's all gone downhill.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here