Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Look guys its bad, very bad, kind of a hilarious type of dumb bad. In fact this will be that movie where I started to get worried about the people who like it type of bad.

Sis:
Whenever someone asks me why I think your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt half the time, I'll point em to this video. You've been against this movie since before anything got announced besides that it's going to happen. And it shows. Even if this movie was The Dark Knight levels of good, you'd probably still say it was bad.

Indeed, Bob can be a biased fanboy at times, this is one of those times.

Just to point out, this movie actually has the very decent score of 66 of Metacritics, the same score as Bobs much loved (despite all of its blatant faults, like i said; a bias fanboy) Captain America.

I liked the movie. I honestly thought its biggest flaw was its predictability. I understand that everyone knows the story of spiderman, but they could have thrown in a twist or turn that the non comic readers like myself would have been surprised by. Superhero movies in general have a problem with introducing foreshadowing that doesn't have a sign that says "Hi, the introduction of this plot piece is obvious foreshadowing."

I think a movie that did that well Batman Begins, where you are first introduced to the fear inducing toxin and you think "Wow, that stuff seems really evil", and then you are told that the toxin emitter was stolen and you think "Oh gee, the bad guys have something up their sleeve" and its not until later that you realize "Oh crap, that crazy toxin that Liam Neeson used on Batman is the evil plot." Things like this, or subtle foreshadowing that you really don't even notice until the second time through the movie really make it good, and I think this movie failed at it.

What Spiderman did do well is character development. For me, this is a must for superhero movies, and movies like Batman Begins, Watchmen, Spiderman 2, or even Kick-Ass are among my favorite superhero movies because they do this rather than focus on the action. For the most part, we know going into these movies who is going to win and who is going to lose, and I think its more about the personal journey for the hero rather than how many guys they punch and how impressively they do it. Its for this reason that I was not that impressed with The Avengers. It had a great group of characters, but the movie was mostly just a beat-em-up against worthless foes organized by a comic-relief villain, and focused on that rather than the journey of the characters. Though I do think the movie developed The Hulk well, and I did not see any of the leadin movies which I understand will hurt my experience.

All in all, I thought Spiderman was an enjoyable movie in which people should check out. Bob is mad because the movie probably should not have ever been made, but it was, and it was still kindof fun. Video Gamers deal with a lot of sequels and whatnot probably should not be made, and while many of them are simple cash-ins, they can be enjoyable nonetheless (I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed: Revelations)

You know how you say that your purpose is not to inform our moving going habits and despite constantly bringing up personal biases and disagreeing with the majority of professional reviewers, that you're somehow examing the objective qualities and integrity of a film?

Thats why you can't do crud like this, I've heard good reviews of this film from all types of people. Roger Ebert to Timeout Magazine to the sporty dude from my old school to a random guy off TV Tropes. I'm sorry but you just haven't established the sort of reliability that would allow you to hope that I might not see this film because of your review. It's not even like you only like films I hate, it's erratic. Some films you like, I like and sometimes not, I actually cannot tell if I should see this film or not

Jetsetneo:

Just to clarify, key points this movie has that the last 3 did wrong or missed:
-Uncle Ben never explicitly states the "Great power..." line, ever. Hardly a rewrite. Yeah they switched up the key zeitgiest more or less, but if it were a scene for scene copy with different actors I'd be a lot more upset that I paid money for what I already have in my DVD collection.
-Gwen Stacy from the start. MJ comes wayyyy later.
-That Gwen thing? Is going to matter a lot more in AS-M 2, if the ending of this one didn't hammer that home.
-Web shooters/ showcasing Peter's intellect. The other movies did this, but really only in spider-man 2, and peter always used it in reaction, not pro action (building his web shooters)

Frankly after the shark jumping that was Spider-man 3 I much rather have had this.

i'm not going to argue about Gwen. anyone whose into Spider-Man will tell you that. and i couldn't care about whatever love interest they threw in the mix. what i'm saying is this particular origin just doesn't meld with what some fans would consider a spider-man movie. and i think theres some plot point that you just don't mess with. the "with great power..." point, for example.

and i do respect your argument on why this is worth watching or not but as a writer, it really bothers me that this was made for the sole purpose of just keeping the rights to that particular property for another year.

Probably will Netflix this eventually, but honestly, when Raimi, Maguire et al left the franchise, I pretty much did too. But the biggest gap in the franchise was exposed with one of your tags in the credits.

Even if Jameson was in the movie, the single worst thing about the new Spiderman not being the old Spiderman, is the absence of J.K. Simmons.

A close second is the loss of Willem Dafoe cackling two movies after he's died, like an evil Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I saw it's first showing at my local cinema and I quite liked it... I preferred the Sam Raimi ones but it was still pretty good...

People...Just because Bob hated it doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. I love Spidey and yes they did pull out lots of the original story and comics and twist some stuff up...but with that said..it was still very enjoyable and entertaining. I went to see this with a big group of friends and we all liked it, not loved it, but was still a good time.

I saw the movie, and I honestly loved it. Yeah when I looked back on the movie there were some problems, but I was absolutely in the moment while watching it and I had a great movie going experience. I really think Bob went into this movie wanting to hate it, and not surprisingly he got his wish.

Wow, just wow, that hit me like a kick to the head! I almost watched the one after this first I was nervous to say the least.

Im with Bob I feel insulted by Sony, this is disrespectful.

I can usually try to look for the good but there's none here. The deal-breaker though? NO JJJ!*String of cursing* What the sweet hell where they thinking! Hes a major figure in the Spider-Man mythos! Not per say a villain to Spider-Man but a foil yes. He's just someone that didn't like masked people. Also, even though he hates Spider-Man he's helped Peter alot, and its that contrast that makes their interactions interesting. Besides helping make The Scorpion back in the day he really doesn't do that much harm. He's more of a comic relief to me.

No JJJ! Not Spider-Man!

Speaking of OMD *gag*Ive boycotted Spider-man and have gotten others together to try to force them to rewrite that BS. We can try!

The movie worked a whole lot better for those who have little to no memory of what came before. See also: Starship Troopers, Transformers, etc. Mainly this film works as an antidote to Prometheus, because after that list of ciphers it's refreshing to have people who actually act the way their profession and life experience would dictate.

This movie not only did well for its cash-in status, it managed to more expertly and skillfully illustrate the themes Prometheus was fumbling badly at. It definitely could have done them better, but what was there was surprisingly mature, and the best way to create a rebooted world is to introduce lots of normal human characters we can actually care about (let the great grandiose evils come later!)

Also I love the fact that the movie is obsessed enough with physics to eschew the use of skyhooks as much as possible. What was it Yahtzee said about how it's better to have games where it's very possible to fuck up spectacularly, just to realize what's at stake?

I thought it was fucking awesome, and I've been into Spider-Man comics and everything since I was a little kid. Messy, slightly incoherent, but generally very entertaining.

Usually I can see where Bob is coming from in his reviews but I just don't get his hate for this movie. It was no Avengers or Dark Knight but it was probably on par with say an Iron Man 2 or Thor. Yeah, I just don't get his hate for this movie.

Xanthious:
Usually I can see where Bob is coming from in his reviews but I just don't get his hate for this movie. It was no Avengers or Dark Knight but it was probably on par with say an Iron Man 2 or Thor. Yeah, I just don't get his hate for this movie.

He hates it because it's not the film he wants it to be. He failed as a reviewer, rather than judging the movie on its own merits, he just complained that it's not the Spider-man movie he wanted it to be. He's just upset that Sony still owns the rights, and they will continue to hold on to the rights for many years to come.

I thought Bob lost all his credibility after he recommended The Last Airbender, but this was overdoing it. It's clear at this point he's nothing more than a biased fanboy.

I missed this review and ended up seeing it without your infinite wisdom. I watched your follow up explanation after seeing the movie today and had to go back and watch this one. Yeah 100% Rage. I really don't get it. You did an entire comics are weird on spider-man how can you claim to be so entirely unfamiliar with Spider-man's recent stories or the lizard in general?

"It just so happens.." OF COURSE IT JUST SO HAPPENS! This is a comicbook movie FFS!!! and yeah it just so happens! hell the majority of the movie is literally adapted from Story Arcs in the book.

uugh I'm struggling not be redundant but you're being completely unreasonable. For once a movie is not a impressionist adaption of a comic, but a clear cut translation and you complain?? AM SO CONFOOSED :O

ok one of two things happened here.

1. you went in hating it because Sony killed your uncle and are seeking vengeance

or

2. You've become so burnt out on popular teens movies you literally can't stand to watch any movie with a teen angst/romance vibe.

I'd really like to know which it is because this movie was very comic like. even with the To be continued.. for shadowing.

The love interest is largely pulled from the books, specifically Ultimate Spider-man, is funny, endearing, and takes up very little run time. Peter's angst is completely logical and well played out. I can tell you even as an adult when you lose multiple people close to you without closure you carry that around for the rest of your life whether you want it or not. Literally people give in the books give spiderman shit for hiding behind a wall of jokes when he's obviously weighed down by all he's been through. there's a reason he's always hanging around Wolverine.

I'm sorry steve ditko is not returning your phone calls. Get over it and move on. You're sounding like the angsty one.

I realize you probably won't read this post but if you do I need to make a suggestion

Go read The New Avengers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Avengers_%28comics%29

This current(to date) depiction of Spider-man was Andrew Garfield all over.

Maybe you hate modern comics but at least give this run a look.

Y'know what I would have rather seen than this movie?

Do you guys remember when the internet tried a serious petition to get Donald Glover as Spiderman?

Rather than trying to re-hash Peter Parker, let's go for Miles Morales here instead.

I mean obviously it's a bit too late for this, but that's what I would have rather seen.

If in a few years Sony finds themselves scrambling for a new Spiderman film after the Andrew Garfield run wears out its welcome, maybe they could try their hands at that.

i saw the movie and i loved it

The Last Parade:
hmm... oddly harsh, I'm going to see this movie in a few days with freinds and while I'm expecting something average at best I'll come back and see if you were right or just baised

Just saw it, it's a very good movie, Bob you're talking out of your own bias and your ass, be professional for fuck sake

Just returned from watching the movie, had saved the review for afterwards. Though your analysis of some of its faults are fair, I still found the overall movie enjoyable.

Just got back from seeing it and, personally, I didn't think it was that bad.
If you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't I guess.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Woah, that's harsh. I almost feel bad about it now but... i liked it. I really really liked it. Maybe more than i liked Sam Raimis first Spiderman. Uh... so... i guess i have terrible taste in movies. Guess i have to work on that.

I agree entirely. Although the action scenes and cinematography in the Sam Raimi films was slightly better, the story-line and characters in this one more than made up for it.

In fact, part of me is starting to think movie bob is yet another paid-off critic, especially since there are many people who would love to see this film fail. I've always found that he finds poor reasons to hate on the films he passionately rags on, such as the "muzzle flash" on the web shooters, that were actually lights to allow peter to know they were working properly.

The only real problem I had with this film were the villain, as he was not fleshed out as much as he should have been(a symptom of a rushed project), and that regeneration is one of the most overplayed and scientifically inaccurate powers in modern media. Food is in fact required for healing. In a realistic film, Wolverine or Lizard would starve fairly quickly.

WorldCritic:
If you like it, you like it, if you don't, you don't I guess.

Did this really need to be stated?

Movie Bob hated it? Guess it must be good and I should go see it - although I already have and it's nowhere near as bad as he's making it out to be. Personally I thought it was average, nothing special but perfectly watchable and enjoyable in parts. A lot of the issues brought up were so minor whereas as most of what was said sounded like personal dislike masquerading as professional criticism.

draythefingerless:

i would not take this review as is people. it stinks of fanboy wishes being broken, causing an aggravation of his opinion on the movie.

I live by a simple rule with Movie Bob. If its a property that has anything to do with his childhood and its not exactly the way he wanted it to be, he will fanboy out on it. It has it's flaws but I saw it and it seemed more based off of the ultimate spider-man comics with the origin. I liked how they went with Gwen instead of Mary and for the love of god, he doesn't even get a job at the bugle yet, of course there's no J.J. Seriously, Bob wrote this review, then made an intermission article about hating this movie pretty much, and he just made another video about hating this movie. I'm sorry but that throws my "Angry Fanboy Sense" into overdrive.

trophykiller:
[quote="PsychedelicDiamond" post="6.380712.14970063"] I've always found that he finds poor reasons to hate on the films he passionately rags on, such as the "muzzle flash" on the web shooters, that were actually lights to allow peter to know they were working properly.

Have you seen how he'll never let go of his hate for Transformers because Michael Bay directed it. Oh and because the movie had people in it. Really the main thing wrong with it for him is that they made it relevant for now. I think his major problem with properties of nostalgia is it's not what he wanted when he was younger so it's garbage and he'll find anyway to make a movie seem less credible. You know even though Transformers and the Amazing Spider-man have made a ton of money. Sadly he was even saying Twilight was a better movie in his second let's bash the Amazing Spider-Man video. I think he might be trying a little too hard.

BrotherRool:
I actually cannot tell if I should see this film or not

Its not the greatest movie ever but its definitely worth the watch. Seriously go check it out.

MovieBob:
Snip

Bob,

I don't agree with what you said but I respect that, instead backing down or refusing to give any reasoning other than 'it's my opinion', you gave a valid, cohesive argument to back up your opinion. I think it's refreshing.

(Quoted for mailbox, hopefully)

I saw it and you know what? When this is on DVD for $10 or less I'm going to get a copy so that I can have friends over and riff the Hell out of it!

-spoilers-

"Oh God...Oh my God Uncle Ben, SOMEBODY CALL AN AMBULANCE! THE SCRIPT SAYS I CAN'T USE MY OWN PHONE!!"

-

"...he said he was going to visit a V.A. Hospital"

"No, you have to stop him at..." *disconnects* "...Dammit...must inject self...must save veterans...MUST KILL CARS WITH CHILDREN INSIDE!!"

*Lizard breaks into Oscorp, lighting and mood suggest darkness and rising tension as Gwen hides in a cupboard. Random pianist's child keeps tapping keys, keeping tension from rising. Jump-Scare fails* "Hey there Gwen...mind if I just take this from you?" *takes pocket-sized thing from Batman Begins that dispenses mist* "Have fun making your antidote! BYE!!"

-

The hardest things to riff though are the scenes wherein Peter and Gwen gesture at each other since they must have spilled coffee on that portion of the script or something.

Plinglebob:
Sooo, Bob didn't like it.

Not only didn't Bob like it, but he took incredibly petty shots about it not being like the comics while complaining about things just like the comics, and even pettier shots at how the costume and CG was bad, which seems less grounded in any actual complaint and more some grudge match he's got going on.

In short, not much different from his usual reviews.

This review reminds me of how I feel about Diablo 3.

Wow, sounds worse than I feared. I'll pass.

CrimsonTemplar:
Wow, sounds worse than I feared. I'll pass.

That's what you got from this video? Because all I got was a reminder of why I stopped watching MovieBob's videos. It's nothing but 7 minutes of him ranting about how stupid the things every comic book, let alone comic book movie, has ever done as though it's the worst thing ever and completely unexpected. On top of that, he not only seems to miss/ignore story points in trying to make his point, in some cases, he's either outright lying about them, or perhaps simply missed the point entirely. It's clear from watching the video, and his general views on it before it was even released that he went in planning to not like it, and surprise, he didn't like it. Considering in his follow up article on this he mentions it would be a bad thing if they added Electro in a sequel but changed his incredibly stupid origin, I'm even less inclined to care what Bob has to say about this movie.

But you know what, if he legitimately hated a movie and spent the entire video ripping it a new one, and even stretching some facts to make his argument, I could live with that if he were at least entertaining in the process. But as usual, he just comes off as a bit of a whiny douche.

Bmagada:

trophykiller:
[quote="PsychedelicDiamond" post="6.380712.14970063"] I've always found that he finds poor reasons to hate on the films he passionately rags on, such as the "muzzle flash" on the web shooters, that were actually lights to allow peter to know they were working properly.

Have you seen how he'll never let go of his hate for Transformers because Michael Bay directed it. Oh and because the movie had people in it. Really the main thing wrong with it for him is that they made it relevant for now. I think his major problem with properties of nostalgia is it's not what he wanted when he was younger so it's garbage and he'll find anyway to make a movie seem less credible. You know even though Transformers and the Amazing Spider-man have made a ton of money. Sadly he was even saying Twilight was a better movie in his second let's bash the Amazing Spider-Man video. I think he might be trying a little too hard.

Yes, I agree. It just seems as though many of his reviews are driven by something other than opinion. Nostalgia could very well be that.

I just found it kind of odd that he gives awful ratings to many good films, yet he recommends bad films like cars 2, or atrocious ones like splice(I seriously became so disgusted with this film that I walked out of the theater early).

Either way, I'm probably going to avoid the reviews of films he has shown loathing to before their release. Many people simply are very adamant about their opinions, and movie bob is certainly one of these people.

Just saw it tonight. For the record I am a huge Spider-Man fan, watched the 70s and 90s cartoons as a kid, he is my childhood icon. I watched all the Raimi films in theaters and was dissatisfied to say the least.

My sister saw this before me and said it was perfect and "better than the Avengers." I thought she was exaggerating, I held my expectations super low and....was blown away. It surpasses the Raimi films in everything I can think of, it's a bit long, but it never feels too long. It even takes certain elements from the Ultimate comics that I disliked and makes them good.

I don't get Bob's hate with this movie.

My own problems with dis film, which I actually liked, overall:

1. Peter Parker's character is really screwed up in this. I keep hearing that "Andrew Garfield was a better awkward nerd than Tobey Maguire," and that's just a load of crap. It's pretty clear that Garfield's Parker is immedietaly more charismatic and outgoing than Tobey's, something that screwed up Parker's character and isn't in line with the comics. People have called Tobey's performance as Parker "wooden" in comparison to Garfield's, and they're missing the difference between playing a shy character and an emotionless character.
Tobey nailed Peter Parker in that quiet and constantly shy deminer, at least, until he donned the Spider Man costume, which he did better as well. This isn't Garfield's fault, though, it's the lines that attitude he was asked to play.

2. TASM's Spider Man has lines that are awful in comparison to the first two Spider Man movies. I'm not going to list examples since they're pretty easy to find once the Spider Man stuff starts. However, there are some good lines, just not as many as the origional movies.

Other than that, and I still like the first two Spidahman movies better than TASM, the process in which Garfield's Parker became Spiderman and eventually realized that he could do something with his new powers was played out better than the origional movie's, possibly because the process seemed to be longer. Aunt May's concern for Peter was also more thought out than what it was in the origional movies. I liked Gwen/Emma Stone more so than Marry Jane since Gwen seems more capable than Marry Jane.

...I'm also not really giving examples because I need to watch both movies again. My argument is basically "I feel" at this point and is obviously more subjective than most of the ones in this thread. Still, Bob dumped on this movie wayyyy too harshly. It's not bad.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here