Escape to the Movies: The Amazing Spider-Man

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Hey guys don't quote me on this but I think Bob just might not like this movie very much.

Bob actually uploaded this review 3 days early to post how bad it was. And yet this still isn't the most negative review of ASM I've seen yet... comes close, though.

Of the sources I normally follow, I've got 2 scathingly negative reviews, 1 saying it's just bad, and the best one just saying "it's ok, but why does this exist?". I know he's focusing too much on the source material, but I personally always look for a comic nerd's perceptive on these kind of things becuase I'd do the same damn thing.

Scarim Coral:
Yesh, I haven't seen you rage that much since the Green Lantern review. From the sound of it, it seen this year isn't good for Spider-man per say (well I don't know what going with him in the comic but I do know that Ultimate Spider-man is aweful).

Either way it look like my question had been answer to wheather to watch this or Prometheus if I'm going to the cinema any time soon before The Dark Knight Rises.

The Spiderman cartoon on Disney XD is the only good thing hes got going on. It has a lot of nods to other comics including his own and keeps him faithful to it.. Worth a look.

Best episode of the series in my opinion is "Freaky" which was the one where Spiderman switched bodies with Wolverine in and fight Sabretooth. Deadpool cameo as well.

Welp, that's one moviegoer definately not going to be padding out that audience, I'll do my part and hope that others do the same in not rewarding such tripe.

I watched this last night, and despite me being a huge massive retarded Spider Man fan, I actually enjoyed the movie MUCH more than other recent "action" movies.

Yes they toss around some of the base lore of the origin story (which has obviously sent Bob into a massive nerd rage), but honestly, it still works and in many places does better than the original Spider Man in making Parker's character more believable.

And honestly the action scenes are worth it on their own, actually watching Spider Man be fast and agile instead of slugging it out constantly like the last 3 movies was amazingly refreshing.

I would take this review with a grain of salt, Bob has obvious bias towards the original comic series, and has shown at least in this review, that one or two small changes (derp who cares who Parker's dad was it was a plot tie in, and herp derp Uncle Ben dies in damn near the same way but is in my opinion more tragic than the original scene)

Also web shooters...you of all people let the fact that the original spider man movies you adore decided to remove one of the biggest parts of the superheroes lore...the goddamn web shooters...

Bob decides nitpick about how a story about teenagers has awkward teenage B.S. scenes...seriously Bob not just 30-40 somethings go see movies...

Ouch, I wonder if Bob expected it to suck this badly? I kinda did, I've only caught glimpses of trailers and I picked up on the whole 'Teen Angst' thing.. and I HATE teen angst in super heroes.

Ahh well, I'm not a spidey fan anyway ;P

Sis:
Whenever someone asks me why I think your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt half the time, I'll point em to this video. You've been against this movie since before anything got announced besides that it's going to happen. And it shows. Even if this movie was The Dark Knight levels of good, you'd probably still say it was bad.

Dunno, I saw the trailer at the movies when I was seeing Prometheus recently and I'm not surprised a single bit about this review. I'm not even into Spiderman movies, but my reaction was instantly "god, this is gonna be just drivel" the moment I saw it. Oh and note, I had no previous opinions about it nor did I see Bob talking about it anywhere.

Out of interest, have you seen the Amazing Spiderman? What's your take on it?

On a sidenote, did you have dinner with Yahtzee recently Bob? :P Seem to be talking quite fast this episode (and saw I wasn't the only one who noticed). Didn't mind it, just felt a bit odd ^^

Love how bob showed peach, then said 'convenient plot device' and showed Navi, when....Peach is also just a convenient plot device.

So, will there be a Movie review on Friday too or just this one?

I can only hope the franchise can redeem itself by having Sony's contract clock out just in time for the latest Avengers or Defenders iteration. Maybe after the Avengers knock out Thanos, they can pull out Secret Wars and put all of marvel continuity together in one huge hero beat-em-up.
Captcha:
Comma, comma (chameleon?)

Whether MovieBob is right about this movie being terrible or not doesn't really matter to me, I'm still avoiding it like the plague.

While Bob does seem to be a bit too prepared to hate the movie, he does have a right to hate everything it STANDS FOR. With all the marketing surrounding this movie (A lot more so than other summer blockbusters, don't try to deny it), it is blatantly clear that Sony was going for massive opening numbers before any reviews came up.

When Bob says this is a movie made by accountants, he's not that far off. If the movie was great, that's good for THIS movie. But, if Sony's marketing strategy works, and I'm sure it will, that opens the floodgates for all around lazy filmmaking. What this movie stands for is the next step to completely manufactured movies. And I'm not okay supporting that.

HOLY CRAP, what a surprise! Two MovieBob shows in one day! So, yeah, this looks like a long one... And Bob's talking fast, which means he's got a lot of ground to cover, AND he's pissed!

So yeah, he just re-affirmed what we all expected, or at least SHOULD have expected. I'll be sure to tell my friends not to go see it.

Kmadden2004:
Can't say I'm really all that surprised by this review, Bob's more or less been trolling this film for the past year.

One point of contention I do feel the need to respond to, though, is Bob's "it just so happens..." bit. That's a pretty nitpicky thing to hang around this film's neck, especially when it could be applied to most - if not all - comic book movies, hell even any action movie.

I mean, well, here are just a couple of examples;

Kid's parents are murdered by street mugger who it just so happens shares a cell with a mob boss who it just so happens is working with the head of local psychiatric prison who it just so happens is working with the same kid's evil mentor figure to destroy the city.

German terrorists take over corporate building where it just so happens there's a hotheaded New York cop who it just so happens is a pretty inventive guy when working with firearms and explosives, and who it just so happens turns out to be the husband of one of the top ranking executives in the building who it just so happens is the primary hostage the terrorists are talking to because they killed the CEO.

To berate this film for making Richard Parker a co-worker with Connors, and have both of them working for Norman Osborn, just comes off as trying to bury it with a pretty flimsy shovel, since that's an angle that's been played out in some of the comics and animated series already, and isn't an arrangement that's too far outside the realms of possibility. Hell, to quote Bob's own catchphrase, but comics are weird, and that kind of "it just so happens" coincidence is commonplace in the comics.

And, yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed for typing this up, but what the hell...

Or how about, Peter Parker just happens gets bit by a radioactive spider that just happens to give him superpowers somehow :P (seriously, the odds of that very particular genetic mutation occurring are way more slim than two people happening to work at the same place).

I was planning on skipping this movie simply out of apathy, but after reading all the dissenting opinions I'm a bit intrigued. If Bob had said it was decent but not great I probably still wouldn't be interested in it, funnily enough.

This movie was better than the other Spider-Man movies, by FAR.
I really, really liked the movie.
REALLY.
It was funny, really funny, witty, the action was nice, the main character was done quite well, aunt may was great, Uncle Ben was very, very well portrayed and overall, the movie was enjoyable. I would put this only a bit below Iron Man.
It was a great, great movie.
Bob can fo fuck himself, as far as I am concerned, I want the sequels to be made.

Ickabod:
Even if this review was full of fanboyism, Bob is usually pretty good about acknowledging that in a review. He said that Green Lantern was a pile of dung and was right there, even if he was raging like a fanboy. Being a fanboy over something doesn't automatically discount the opinion.

But seriously how many of us knew this movie was going to be terrible from the moment it was announced to that first teaser trailer. It was a cash grab from day one, if it really is that terrible (I wasn't going to see it anyway) I hope that it fails.

But the thing is, the Green Lantern was a total piece of crap, it was just bad on so many levels, horrid fights, horrid plot, just random ass scenes injected into the movie...

Its just that this Spider Man movie is not the horrific turd that its being made out to be, it has a pretty good plotline, the actors working the characters fit quite well, the action scenes are pretty damn good (not avengers good but sure as hell are at least Iron Man good) and even though they changed some origin plot points the movie was still quite enjoyable

To be honest my only hangup was the fact that Spider Man actually gets injured at all by the police, instead of his characteristic weaving through hails of bullets (tho one scene...awesome)

MovieBob:
The Amazing Spider-Man

MovieBob comes to you with a very special Tuesday episode to find out just how amazing is The Amazing Spider-Man.

Watch Video

So the movie is not good then?

^_^

rayen020:
never planned to see it and now i'll make sure not to.

Also why do all your tuesday reviews have movies that suck?

I am guessing that these are movies he saw on his own because the studio didn't screen the movie for critics, knowing that it sucked.

Why are the facebook comments mostly against Bob, but these comments are usually in support of his opinion. Regardless of the dissonance, the bias going into the movie is well deserved. I doubt any single person can view one of the trailers and believe that the movie will be anything but terrible.

Alone from the Twilight Look I am avoiding this.

Geez, I guess I am really from another Generation, finally.

I never thought IŽd ever say how GREAT the Harry Potter Movies actually were, until now.

Ah fuck, I'm torn now. I was kinda worrying this would be shit and this has kinda proven it, but I promised I'd take my sister to go see it next Wednesday. =S

Also, do you not find it odd that a review blasting the movie has an advert for said movie before it?

I will help you avenge film and Spiderman in the small way I can... I will not see this film.
Thanks for saving me some cash, Bob!

DRTJR:
...How do you make a Spider man movie with out J. Jonah Jameson?

I was actually just about to ask this.
Also Bob. We could taste the anger and hatred in your voice as you went on about how bad this thing was. I will make sure to avoid it.

MrJoyless:

Ickabod:
Even if this review was full of fanboyism, Bob is usually pretty good about acknowledging that in a review. He said that Green Lantern was a pile of dung and was right there, even if he was raging like a fanboy. Being a fanboy over something doesn't automatically discount the opinion.

But seriously how many of us knew this movie was going to be terrible from the moment it was announced to that first teaser trailer. It was a cash grab from day one, if it really is that terrible (I wasn't going to see it anyway) I hope that it fails.

But the thing is, the Green Lantern was a total piece of crap, it was just bad on so many levels, horrid fights, horrid plot, just random ass scenes injected into the movie...

Its just that this Spider Man movie is not the horrific turd that its being made out to be, it has a pretty good plotline, the actors working the characters fit quite well, the action scenes are pretty damn good (not avengers good but sure as hell are at least Iron Man good) and even though they changed some origin plot points the movie was still quite enjoyable

To be honest my only hangup was the fact that Spider Man actually gets injured at all by the police, instead of his characteristic weaving through hails of bullets (tho one scene...awesome)

I can't believe that this has to be explained over and over again to people but these reviews are his OPINION. You may think the movie rocked. He thinks it sucks.

I can't stand Andrew Garfield at all. I was going to see this just to have an opinion about it, but on second thought. I'd rather not pay for it and just wait for it to be on TV. Then I can turn it off after 45 minutes... like the old Hulk movie.

Ranorak:
This is bizzaro world.

No, I don't mean that the release of a rushed, cheap spider-man licence renewal movies would be a miss, I mean, the video game is actually pretty fun.

We have a movie that has a ...not-terrible video game, but this time the movie sucks.

It's like X-Men Origins Wolverine all over again.

Judging by the footage, the film seems to be ridiculously teal and orange.

(Teal and orange, for those who don't know: http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.se/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html )

Even when he reminds people that he like X-Men: First Class, he's still accused of bias for it not being a Marvel Studios movie.

Wow, Bob ... haven't heard you this angry since Transformers. I honestly thought about 30 seconds in, "Ah, he's just pulling our legs; he'll do a 'fooled-ya!' and say it's great." Oh, well. Not like I was having high hopes for this, anyway.

I sympathize with the irritation at Sony made this basically to keep the movie rights. Even if, though, they're taught a lesson by bad reviews or poor box-office returns (like you, I think this unlikely), the sadness would be that if Marvel/Disney got the rights, they'd HAVE to do yet another reboot of the Spider-Man 'franchise' with a new actor, and a rehashed origin story, blah, blah, blah, so they could work Spidey into an Avengers movie if they wanted to.

But it's not the end of the world for me. Honestly, after The Dark Knight Returns, I'll welcome a reprieve from superhero movies for a while ... even though we have Superman, X-Men First Class, and Wolverine movies in production for 2013 & 2014.

So we have a hero and a villain without a clear character, a first half ripped from Twilight, and a messing with the one thing that made Spiderman Spiderman and not a wrestler who isn't starving.

This movie is going to make Sony sooo much money :) MiB 3 has made $600 million already and i'll bet this makes evem more.

Why Movie Bob is WRONG AGAIN he liked Scott Pilgrim which to say aweful is not enough and Sucker Punch ergh. Bob has little taste.

Still might have seen it even after the review due to me not really being a fanboy and/or deeply interested in the Spiderman universe/mythos, but also being a fan of schlocky action movies.

Then you said J. Jonah Jameson was not only NOT J.K. Simmons, but NOT in the movie.

Fuck that.

Come now, it can't be any worse than Turn Off the Dark... can it?

I hate how Spiderman is being treated in movies. He used to be one of my favourite superheros as a kid but all the movies have been so lazily made for the worst the reasons. Spidey deserves better.

Kmadden2004:
Can't say I'm really all that surprised by this review, Bob's more or less been trolling this film for the past year.

One point of contention I do feel the need to respond to, though, is Bob's "it just so happens..." bit. That's a pretty nitpicky thing to hang around this film's neck, especially when it could be applied to most - if not all - comic book movies, hell even any action movie.

I mean, well, here are just a couple of examples;

Kid's parents are murdered by street mugger who it just so happens shares a cell with a mob boss who it just so happens is working with the head of local psychiatric prison who it just so happens is working with the same kid's evil mentor figure to destroy the city.

German terrorists take over corporate building where it just so happens there's a hotheaded New York cop who it just so happens is a pretty inventive guy when working with firearms and explosives, and who it just so happens turns out to be the husband of one of the top ranking executives in the building who it just so happens is the primary hostage the terrorists are talking to because they killed the CEO.

To berate this film for making Richard Parker a co-worker with Connors, and have both of them working for Norman Osborn, just comes off as trying to bury it with a pretty flimsy shovel, since that's an angle that's been played out in some of the comics and animated series already, and isn't an arrangement that's too far outside the realms of possibility. Hell, to quote Bob's own catchphrase, but comics are weird, and that kind of "it just so happens" coincidence is commonplace in the comics.

And, yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed for typing this up, but what the hell...

Pretty much this.

Warning! There are minor spoilers in the following text:
I saw this movie last Sunday with my girlfriend, and we both enjoyed it immensly. It's not the best movie ever, but neither is it as HORRIBLE as MovieBob makes it out to be.

The first Spiderman trilogy was hopelessly corny, filled with bad actors (with William Dafoe being the only exception) and less than stellar CGI. Seriously, sometimes you can almost see the green screen rolling by.

This new Spiderman (to me) dumps a lot of the old baggage and makes it more modern. Look, I am a big comic book geek, I have hundreds of Spiderman comics, but even I got tired of "with great power, comes great responsibility". YEAH, WE GET IT!
I was so happy that the movie didn't harp on that and also didn't force Spiderman into another "I don't have enough time to be Spiderman AND a photographer AND a seduce this hot blond girl" shtick. He is Spiderman, there is no job mentioned that we need to worry about and he pretty much confesses right to Gwen Stacey that he is Spiderman. Great, that's all out of the way.

The combat looked amazing, Spiderman has never been so agile and even if the Lizard doesn't look like Avatar level CGI, he is still convincing enough to be a threat. And he isn't trying to rule the world, he is trying to unshackle mankind from it's evolution bonds and make it into something better. NOWHERE IN THE MOVIE IS IT SAID THAT HE WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD.

This movie is a vast improvement over the original trilogy and MovieBob is just way, way, WAY off base with this.

Bob, as a Spider-man fan of 20 years (Yeah, since I was 4) allow to me say this: You are 98% wrong in the grand scheme of things as far as this movie goes--namely in comparison to the first trilogy. First, Peter has diarrhea of the mouth. If he were in the suit or not, that never changed. In the first trilogy, Peter's personality was bland--based off of the first 60 issues of the comics. He barely spoke, he rarely said what he was thinking or expressed himself. Which doesn't quite work in a movie very well.

The Amazing Spider-Man's Peter was as he is after that point. He can speak his mind--while he tends to be shy, he is -extremely- awkward, and unlike the trilogy, they've actually expressed the fact that he has intelligence and is adept at science. All of which is what Andrew Garfield pulled off without a problem.

Also you say that things are all "JUst so happens" do you? And that this super secret origin story is not your cup of tea? Then why are you a Spider-man fan or even a Marvel fan? ALL marvel does is show how everyone is involved or connected to the next person. No seriously:

Wolverine (James Howlett/ Logan) Served in numerous wars as a Canadian soldier. Here he met Steve Rogers (Captain America), Bucky Barnes (Winter Soldier), Nick Fury, and Dum Dum Dugan in north Africa. Captain America-- while in north Africa teamed up with Namor, Nick Fury, Dum Dum Dugan, Bucky, the first Human Torch, and Union Jack and fought against the Red Skulls elite warriors who were attempting to mine Vibranium, when Namor crossed paths with The Black Panther (Tachala's father) and attacked him four times--each time having dust blown on him that dehydrated him, hilariously.

The Black Panther at the time aided Captain America, yet immediately asking them to leave his lands to him and his people. As sooner or later an American presence of super powered beings will sooner or later cause a rift in stances and a power play for control of land, those with powers, and issues of the sort. (Oddly, this was him calling Civil War happening a good 60 years before the majority of them were even born.)

In one of Captain America's missions with Bucky, they were called to free Jewish prisoners of the SS soldiers. One of the children Captain America and Bucky recused was Max Eisenhardt. Otherwise known as Magneto who was minutes away from being put in a gas chamber. Captain America once met with Howard Stark (Tony Starks father) who was partners with Nathaniel Richards (Reed Richards father) in the "Brotherhood of the Shield." Howard Stark was also one of the first humans to come into contact with Utau (The watcher.)

Captain America (Steve Rogers) had constantly missed the presence of the first Captain America. An African American male named Isaiah Bradely. Said experiment that created his powers were later revamped and used on Luke Cage to make him Power Man. After Captain America fell into ice waters, years later an eskimo tribe found his body encased in ice and began to worship him as a god. Namor discovered this and proceeded to lift the iced Captain America and throw him hundreds of yards away to keep Steve hidden.

Years later, Richard and Mary Parker left Peter in care of his Uncle Ben in order to finish their last mission. They were undercover spies, investigating the resurrection of Hydra after the infinity formula that Nick Fury discovered and took was found. During their mission, it was revealed that the Red Skull simply didn't just have imposters running around -as- him, but he was around again. Once he found out their status, he killed them both, leaving Peter Parker without his mother and father.

At one point of his life, Peter was taken to the circus as a young age by his Uncle Ben and witnessed impressive marksmanship with a bow and arrow he'd seen at the time. By Trickshot, who train Clint Barton--- (Hawkeye) how to shoot. Peter merely passed by Clint at the circus.

"Just so happened?" Bob, you'd have to not know MUCH of marvel past snips of huge digestive stories if you think this is new to anything based off a Marvel comic. I could go on longer about that detail but this took longer than I wanted.

Also, side note: Thor took an ACTIVE part in World War II. On the side of Hitler and almost killed Union Jack. Yeah... right... "just so happens"

Edit: Oh. And Cap trained The Punisher when he enlished in the Marine Corps.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here