No Right Answer: Most Addictive Timesink Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Most Addictive Timesink Ever

If drug dealers had digital downloading capabilities, what product would fly off the shelves fastest? Our boys take on the very nature of addiction in this week's debate.

Watch Video

It's like Inception:
You have to go deeper!

Hell I'd be playing it right now if they didn't make the clay so dam hard to find!

They are right. Pokemon is like Crack

But its SOOOOO FUCKING GOOD

I always find time to use my team at the battle subway.

Terminate421:

Crack is Whack!
Pot is Hot!

I'm sorry, but World of Warcraft is definitely the most addictive time sink in the history of video games. People have literally DIED because of this game.

Yeah but eventually you will burnout on crack of die from it, with pot you can smoke it forever. No one smokes crack for 50 years, there are people who have smoked pot for 50 years. So Minecraft should win.

Once you get into the meta, yeah, Pokemon is a massive timesink. Getting the right natures, getting the good TMs (thank god for that change in gen 5), getting the EVs and then raising to level 100, breeding, and then there's planning the right moveset and strategies and then there's the online battles.

And if you REALLY want to be obsessive you get into IVs and Shinies.

Know whats even more addicting than either Pokemon OR Minecraft?

MINECRAFT POKEMON!

Yes, it exists and yes, it's freaking hilarious.

Though Minecraft gets boring once you've built a few neat things its like, eh, nothing happens now because no NPCs give a toss about what you just built.

Pokemon is a great time sink... But they went to far. i'll never pass the first 151 cause they are the best. Also there is a Pokemon mmo it just kinda sucks horrible.

I feel like Kyle was totally jipped on this one. He made the better points and yet still lost. Boo, I say.

And nothing is a worse timesink than Civilization. Which one, you may ask? ALL OF THE CIVILIZATION! I've never played a game of Civ and wanted to quit. It's always obligations to my life that keep me from continuing. I just want to play for... just... one... more... turn...

I think he hit the nail on the head when he said Minecraft is like a zen garden. You just get into a daze and build. Hell, you groom. Not as fiercely addictive as pokemon, where there's always goals, stats and numbers, all spiced with skinner's box.

Still, I don't think arguments about tie-ins should have rewarded points in regards to the addictiveness of the game itself.

I was on the Minecraft side on this one.
Doesn't matter that he lost. Tonight, I'll still build a moat and outer wall around my castle :D

DVS BSTrD:

Terminate421:

Crack is Whack!
Pot is Hot!

Crack is like a mac!
Pot is not!

Kyle both wins and loses this debate in my book. He wins for actually mentioning the true winner, and loses for not realizing it. As far as man-hours and lives wasted, Pokemon and Minecraft run a distant second and third to World of Warcraft.

im kinda 50/50 on it but i'll agree that pokemon is more of an active timesink in that you know you're wasting that time but minecraft is much worse as heard in yatzee's review "and the next thing i knew 9 hours had passed"

Why no Disgaea?

I vote for Civilization. That game makes time its bitch.

You start playing, and then fifteen minutes later 12 hours have passed.

10 year game of civ anyone? But really, we all know WoW is the winner. People will not only play themself to death, but they will sell their children to do it. Can you really compare minecraft or pokemon to that?

Yeah, I spent a lot of time playing Pokemon. But I was able to turn it off and go do other things.

I literally failed my last required class for my degree because I was spending more time on building my minecraft skull-fortress than I was on my school work, thus I had to retake the class.... So yeah, my vote for Minecraft.

ravenshrike:
Why no Disgaea?

Good question

But I have to agree with Pokemon
I am 22 and over the course of my life I have spent/wasted well over 2000 hours on Pokemon game and that's ONLY counting the Color themed RPG's. If I counted all the spin-offs: Snap, Stadium series, Puzzle games, Pinball games, Dungeon Crawlers and Others My hours count would be even higher.

My God I've just made myself sad, I think I'm gonna go outside now or maybe read a book or something.

Chris owned this one, but Kyle could have really matched his point on the outside franchises and merchandise. Minecraft already features tons of merchandise, and is commonly played by some big names in today's media, such as Joel Zimmerman (deadmau5 for those that don't know). We even have Minecon to go along with it. To everyone that wants to bring WoW up as a better arguement, I submit you to view this:

http://gnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Minecraft-Paladin.jpg

That's a costume for Paladin Tier 2 "Judgement" as a Minecraft skin costume at Blizzcon 2011.

Major kudos to Dan for his analogy, as well.

Most Overhyped MMO Ever
Rift vs SW: TOR

Chris didn't deserve that last point because it wasn't a valid argument (though I do still have that song memorized from when I was 7). Tie ins are more a money sink rather than a time sink. I don't sit down and play a pokemon game and think, "you know what? I need to go watch hours and hours of the tv show."

Pokemon was never been THAT addicting for me. Beat the gyms, maybe catch the legendaries (except they became progressively harder to find, making me less likely to try to get them), but after that I was done. Grinding to 100 was pointless, catching every pokemon was pointless, and don't even get me started on the "sparkly" ones and breeding the best attributes... that turned the game into a complete pain in the ass.

Minecraft, on the other hand, there's always something more to do, making it the perfect time sink. It can be pretty tedious as well, but while Pokemon games get progressively more tedious the further you play and the more seriously you take it, Minecraft has a pretty flat tedium curve. Plus you can always take a break from endless mining to build something fun or explore new places, while in Pokemon, what are you going to do to take a break from grinding to 100? Catch a new pokemon and grind him to a decent level? Grinding grinding grinding = quitting, time for a new game. Mining mining mining = building, adventuring, or whatever-the-heck-I-feel-like-doing...ing.

I do love Pokemon but Minecraft is a better time sink, the mods, the randomly generated worlds and the creativity and doesn't really get boring. Pokemon gets boring when trying to capture everything and grinding them to level 100.

SoopaSte123:
Chris didn't deserve that last point because it wasn't a valid argument (though I do still have that song memorized from when I was 7). Tie ins are more a money sink rather than a time sink. I don't sit down and play a pokemon game and think, "you know what? I need to go watch hours and hours of the tv show."

I should clarify a bit there as I could have easily elaborated had I made that a full point rather than a final argument.

Simply put, a phenomenon takes an already addictive thing and makes it more difficult to avoid. If the addiction never sinks in this doesn't apply to you personally of course, but anyone who's a recovering alcoholic or in a similar situation will tell you how much more difficult it becomes to say no to their addiction if they can never avoid it. Pokemon has the benefit of having full media saturation, so no matter where you go to try and escape it, there's a high chance you'll see it and be sent right back into its open arms.

If drug dealers had digital downloading capabilities, what product would fly off the shelves fastest? Our boys take on the very nature of addition in this week's debate.

From the description, I was expecting a debate on the nature of addition. Not a lot of math involved in this debate.

For me, Minecraft is definitely a bigger time sink.

However, the review barely touched on the meta, especially the card game. If Mojang added Magic: The Gathering to Minecraft...

By going reason-to-reason, Kyle didn't get enough emphasis on his points. Minecraft's always-changing world is something that Pokemon cannot really strive to do.

On the other hand, Chris didn't bring up a point about Pokemon that's besides the "catch 'em all" aspect. You can play through any Pokemon game multiple times to try out different teams, like I will with Red because I have never used a Persian, Ninetales, Muk, etc.

Well, pokemon does this horrible thing where it tells you how much time you've wasted to it, and each game on average costs a pokeaddict 200 hours. Then there are the hardcore addicts who max out the clock.

Me? I'm content with simply having a living pokedex (have each pokemon arranged in the boxes according to national dex number, so it does start with Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur etc, until it gets to the end.) and a team of 6 for a traditional singles 6 on 6 battles.

Honestly, both sides failed to mention some points. Chris mentioned the shinies, but he didn't mention the biggest time-sink for the really obsessed with Pokemon... the IVs and EVs. The IVs are a huge pain on their own. You have to breed over and over and over in an attempt to get the highest possible IV number on each stat, which requires doing a lot of deciding on which pokemon to use as the parents (which you need to breed them to have specific good IVs) and random luck. Then, let's say you DO get 31 on every stat. Then you have to raise their EVs by battling only specific pokemon that give specific EVs to certain stats to improve those stats, thereby giving each pokemon a specific purpose for fighting. Compared to those, shininess is incredibly easy.

Kyle's points seemed to get revolving around the same point and coming back to it. You can just build build build. Don't get me wrong, that's a good point when it comes to time syncs. But at the same time I feel it's a lot easier to get bored with it for many. If you go the survival route, you have to worry about creatures, it takes forever to find resources you may want but are very rare, and the reason it's a massive time sync is because it takes forever to do something relatively simple. One might think that's a plus for time syncs. But I found that makes it boring before long until finally I just stop playing. In creative... well, there's just no challenge to it. It appeals to a lot of people I'm sure, but I don't think the game manages to balence the kind of fun, challenging gameplay to addictiveness ratio that Pokemans do.

That said, I think Kyle should have pointed out more how Minecraft is a much more social experience, or at least is more entertaining if you get more social. Pokemon is plenty social mind you. but it doesn't have something like jumping into a 24-person open server and just playing with other people, building together, and so on. That leaves the relatively little social interaction in pokemon to the dust.

Mortamus:

Most Overhyped MMO Ever
Rift vs SW: TOR

ooh ...

I'm seconding this.

OT:
i agree with the out come of this debate, mostly because minecraft = legos and i have a box FULL of those behind my chair, thus, i have no need for a game that lets me build things

>.>
<.<
Pikachu still sucks though

I find TF2 to be my summer timesink.

Qitz:
Though Minecraft gets boring once you've built a few neat things its like, eh, nothing happens now because no NPCs give a toss about what you just built.

Which is why people use multiplayer servers, so they can impress their friends with massive creations representing dozens of hours of labour, who will promptly burn it to the fucking ground.

OT: I think Minecraft is much more addictive because there is so much more to do. All of Chris's points were about how addictive it is to catch 'em all, because that's all there is TO get addicted to. Kyle points out that there are a massive number of things you can do on your own, and everytime you get bored with one, you'll stumble across another.

Plus, there's a superior community. There is really only one way to interact with other Pokemon players, and that is to build a better team, either to beat them in a battle or to show off. In Minecraft, people engage in wars and build-offs (sometimes at the same time), they invent and play sports, and they come up with innovative ways to grief the everloving hell out of other players (seriously, if you have a few minutes, watch some videos. They are only a couple minutes long, but very funny)

Mortamus:
Chris owned this one, but Kyle could have really matched his point on the outside franchises and merchandise. Minecraft already features tons of merchandise, and is commonly played by some big names in today's media, such as Joel Zimmerman (deadmau5 for those that don't know). We even have Minecon to go along with it. To everyone that wants to bring WoW up as a better arguement, I submit you to view this:

http://gnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Minecraft-Paladin.jpg

That's a costume for Paladin Tier 2 "Judgement" as a Minecraft skin costume at Blizzcon 2011.

Major kudos to Dan for his analogy, as well.

Talk to me when Minecraft has it's own majorly sold Trading Card Game (or at least used to be, not sure if it's as popular any more), multiple movies that have actually been in theaters, a television show that's been running for 15 years now, multiple soundtracks, multiple comic books published, and so forth. Minecraft is good and is hugely popular, but Pokemon is one of the biggest franchises in gaming. And that has to do with how addictive it is, I think. The idea of 'gotta catch em all' is just so well done and a concept that anyone can really pick up. It's a challenge put forth to players, and one many take on.

No Civilization in this debate automatically invalidates it.

Not to mention getting the version of your pokemon with the right special ability, and the right personality, and giving it the right combo of stat buff food...

And Contests....

HAH! Right, contests. But still, top hats for all your pokemons.

Isn't there a wildly mediocre fan-made Pokemon MMO? I think its Pokemon World Online or something...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)