GinxTV: Dust 514 Preview

Dust 514 Preview

From the makers of Eve Online comes a futuristic FPS that can, and will, blow your mind.

Watch Video

So I'm making this incredible, heroic effort to win an outmatched battle, and then some A-hole in a spaceship nukes my arse and I'm fried?

Wow, seems like I really should be playing the super boring EVE game instead of Dust...
Getting blow to crap by some space accountant isn't a very good hook to pull me in, developers... !

This is great. We need more game interaction. Now, if you added an RTS element to the game as well, it would be perfect. You could have "commanders" giving tasks to pilots -- i.e., EVE Online players -- who could then carry them out. And then, my friends, we have the ultimate MMO-RTS-FPS space experience.

Oh, and just a little thing: Could you release Dust 514 for the PC as well? Thanks.

Kenjitsuka:
So I'm making this incredible, heroic effort to win an outmatched battle, and then some A-hole in a spaceship nukes my arse and I'm fried?

Wow, seems like I really should be playing the super boring EVE game instead of Dust...
Getting blow to crap by some space accountant isn't a very good hook to pull me in, developers... !

Actually... Yea, it kinda is.

Don't think about suddenly being obliterated from space, think about the fact that you CAN be suddenly obliterated from space. As in, space exists. And you are actually fighting over things that matter.

Admittedly without a EVE account you won't get to see exactly what the results of your fighting are, but be guaranteed, because you won/lost that battle, potentially you just usurped a planet from the grip of a thousand-strong corporation, allowing the small 100-man group to sink their teeth into it... For about a minute before the 1000 man corp brings a titan to ruin their party.

Or you played a key role in the victory of the second largest alliance in EVE, allowing them to push forward and take sovereignty over one system of the largest alliance, tipping the scales in their favor, and setting off a chain of events that eventually results in the dissolution of the largest alliance.

The only think to hope for is that they don't mess up the interaction between the two games.

Besides, if one of those battleships directs a salvo down to destroy you, then they just wasted a cycle where they could be attacking the other spaceships up in the sky with them. I'd defiantly want to put more DPS on real, concrete threats to my continued existence than help out some people playing on PS3

Sorry... Our small corp just moved into null sec...

Kenjitsuka:

or you could use one of the AA installation and shoot an eve player out of orbit with your 20,000 ISK setup destroying a several million ISK ship. how does that grab ya?
besides if WW2 taught us anything it would have to be that you cant win conquest warefare without air superiority.....
apart from that the drone russians already recruiting players to play dust for them from what i read so i got the feeling dust 514 will be a huge success and gona add and extremly cool layer to eve - and as far as i know this is the first time someone is trying to integrate two very different games into one larger universe with an ongoing timeline so good on them for even trying this.
how it pans out - not sure but i bought a ps3 to find out :)

so you could play EVE on your PC and at the same time be on dust 514 on PS3 and ask yourself for an airstike effectivley?

I'm so afraid.

Goons will ruin this for the rest of us.

Like they always do.

It's up to the rest of to fight back.

I'm actually rather giddy about the whole idea ; P

It really sucks that they went with PS3 tho. I won't play shooters on my PS3... Maybe this will make me?

Sober Thal:
I'm so afraid.

Goons will ruin this for the rest of us.

Like they always do.

It's up to the rest of to fight back.

I'm actually rather giddy about the whole idea ; P

It really sucks that they went with PS3 tho. I won't play shooters on my PS3... Maybe this will make me?

A good point.

No one outside of EvE is likely to know who GoonSwarm are but they are the interstellar hooting dickhead bullies of EvE online and they specialize in griefing.

That said, it might be interesting to see how EvE's notoriously "no rules" way of handling things translates to Dust 514 - console gamers might not have the same desire for extreme open endedness that PC players do. They should come up with rules that will stop Goons from systematically bombarding every square inch of a battle zone in one vent-coordinated blaze of orbital cannon.

I mean look at what the guy wrote at the start of this thread:

Kenjitsuka:

Everyone in EvE will probably be like "hell yeah you could be fried at any moment, it adds to the awesome factor!" (as many of you have said), but the majority of ps3 owners will probably be like 'what's the point of doing anything if these super-free EvE players can do whatever they want with us? I'm gonna go play Fifa'

denseWorm:

No one outside of EvE is likely to know who GoonSwarm are

No.

Just no.

I (*trembling while typing) don't think you really understand.

Goons are more than just one game. They are an idea. That's why they are so powerful. They are like internet vigilantes that offer what the freetards really want.

They are dangerous, they are legion. They are Anon.

They ruin things for the rest of us real people. Don't ever underestimate them. It will lead to your own doom!

DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Sober Thal:

denseWorm:

No.

Just no.

Goons are more than just one game. They are an idea. That's why they are so powerful. They are like internet vigilantes that offer what the freetards really want.

They ruin things for the rest of us real people. Don't ever underestimate them. It will lead to your own doom!

DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Goons actually make EvE way more fun, knowing that someone who spent days getting enough ISK for a battlecruiser with no insurance gets killed by some dudes in frigates is just hilarious to me

Buschmaki:

Sober Thal:

denseWorm:

No.

Just no.

DOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Goons actually make EvE way more fun, knowing that someone who spent days getting enough ISK for a battlecruiser with no insurance gets killed by some dudes in frigates is just hilarious to me

I get that.

I get the whole EVE Online shady business aspect.

But to say Goons made EVE, or Eve Online made Goons.... that's just silly. It's bigger than this one game. At least that's what I was always lead to believe. EVE just tolerates/encourages them is all.

Find a Goon, they will tell you they existed long before EVE Online. That's my point I guess.

So... what happens when you want to play some Dust, but there are no EVE conquests going on at the moment? Or the only wars going on are between corps that you have no intent of helping? I love the tie-in aspect to bits, but the game needs to be able to stand on its own.

Buschmaki:

How many times have I heard someone say that?

"going in and wiping raids in WoW was hilarious - it makes the game more fun"
"someone tripping and breaking their face on a step is hilarious"
"someone putting in so much hard work then losing it all is hilarious - just the game's way of telling them they're idiots"
"that guy who got hit by a truck while holding a big mac lived his life purely to give me a brief lol"

Is hilarious your favourite word? You or people like you? Is the word 'hilarious' meant to encapsulate some sense of cool detachment, some sense of 'meh', some sense of the untouchable? Is it some kind of passkey into the realms of people who are 'okay' with griefing, who just find it funny?

I'm not defending the people who get griefed, though i do not in any way find it a 'hilarious' situation and i don't think it's human nature to find a despairing person funny in any way, but I first encountered the ilk of people who think griefing is hilarious like 10 years ago, and the thought that the same word - not just the same notion or assertion, the same word - is still being used by every subsequent gamer generation is utterly disappointing to me.

If anything is hilarious it's the greasy, pudgy cheeseburgers with legs sitting infront of their computers dishing out hurtful messages all day - the next time I'm in an internet cafe (quite possibly never again) and i see a goon griefing someone i will walk right up to them and smack them on the back of the head, and probably go further if they bring it on themselves.

I'm gonna out and say it, the presence of 'the goons' is not fun, and it's not part of what makes EvE awesome. It's no more philosophical or esoteric than 4chan. It's just a bunch of self important 'pirate pioneers' flying around in the background of our lives thinking all we ever do is worry about them - this post is no longer, btw, specifically about Goons. What makes EvE awesome is the ability for someone to infiltrate a corporation then bankrupt it and run off with all the cash, not for a hundred or so anonymous pricks to blockade jita for a week or so just because they can.

To be on topic, frankly I would not give a bumble bee if EvE suddenly enacted a few in game laws or tweaks that made it impossible for the goons to be such giant morons, and I hope something is built in to Dust 514 to stop goons from hijacking every battle they can get their hands on.

ps. anyone know when The Mitani will next be in melbourne? I'd like to beat his face in

Why only for ps3? seems kinda stupid since eve is a ps game.

denseWorm:
No one outside of EvE is likely to know who GoonSwarm are but they are the interstellar hooting dickhead bullies of EvE online and they specialize in griefing.

Actually, goons are everywhere.
Lineage, WoW, Tera, you name it.
If you can grief in it, goons are there.

denseWorm:

Buschmaki:

How many times have I heard someone say that?

"going in and wiping raids in WoW was hilarious - it makes the game more fun"
"someone tripping and breaking their face on a step is hilarious"
"someone putting in so much hard work then losing it all is hilarious - just the game's way of telling them they're idiots"
"that guy who got hit by a truck while holding a big mac lived his life purely to give me a brief lol"

Is hilarious your favourite word? You or people like you? Is the word 'hilarious' meant to encapsulate some sense of cool detachment, some sense of 'meh', some sense of the untouchable? Is it some kind of passkey into the realms of people who are 'okay' with griefing, who just find it funny?

I'm not defending the people who get griefed, though i do not in any way find it a 'hilarious' situation and i don't think it's human nature to find a despairing person funny in any way, but I first encountered the ilk of people who think griefing is hilarious like 10 years ago, and the thought that the same word - not just the same notion or assertion, the same word - is still being used by every subsequent gamer generation is utterly disappointing to me.

If anything is hilarious it's the greasy, pudgy cheeseburgers with legs sitting infront of their computers dishing out hurtful messages all day - the next time I'm in an internet cafe (quite possibly never again) and i see a goon griefing someone i will walk right up to them and smack them on the back of the head, and probably go further if they bring it on themselves.

I'm gonna out and say it, the presence of 'the goons' is not fun, and it's not part of what makes EvE awesome. It's no more philosophical or esoteric than 4chan. It's just a bunch of self important 'pirate pioneers' flying around in the background of our lives thinking all we ever do is worry about them - this post is no longer, btw, specifically about Goons. What makes EvE awesome is the ability for someone to infiltrate a corporation then bankrupt it and run off with all the cash, not for a hundred or so anonymous pricks to blockade jita for a week or so just because they can.

To be on topic, frankly I would not give a bumble bee if EvE suddenly enacted a few in game laws or tweaks that made it impossible for the goons to be such giant morons, and I hope something is built in to Dust 514 to stop goons from hijacking every battle they can get their hands on.

ps. anyone know when The Mitani will next be in melbourne? I'd like to beat his face in

Actually, if you examine the market, the reason for those Blockades was to drive up the price of Alloys, which GoonSwarm had spent months cornering the market on allowing them to make a killing in selling off surplus.

GoonSwarm is a corp. They don't do it for the luls. They do it for the ISK.

Bloodstain:
This is great. We need more game interaction. Now, if you added an RTS element to the game as well, it would be perfect. You could have "commanders" giving tasks to pilots -- i.e., EVE Online players -- who could then carry them out. And then, my friends, we have the ultimate MMO-RTS-FPS space experience.

Oh, and just a little thing: Could you release Dust 514 for the PC as well? Thanks.

You haven't seen the commander role for Dust 514 yet, have you? :P
Those players can send orders/objectives to the FPS players on the map, drop turrets and tanks in to support their offensive or defence as the case may be, and they're also the ones who can call in the orbital bombardment strikes from EVE players. :)

They're in the Dust map, in their command barges, viewing the battle from above, like a sort of RTS I suppose, only with actual players as your pieces. :)

Azhrarn-101:

Bloodstain:
snip

You haven't seen the commander role for Dust 514 yet, have you? :P
Those players can send orders/objectives to the FPS players on the map, drop turrets and tanks in to support their offensive or defence as the case may be, and they're also the ones who can call in the orbital bombardment strikes from EVE players. :)

They're in the Dust map, in their command barges, viewing the battle from above, like a sort of RTS I suppose, only with actual players as your pieces. :)

:O

Silly me, making requests without research.
Now, the spaceship commanding is still a feature I would like to see, but still -- this is absolutely amazing. I want it, and I want it now. Now I just need a Playstation 3...
I am very much looking forward to seeing more cross-genre gaming.

As someone who plays Eve, the goon stuff is incredibly overhyped, even inside the game.

Goons are the dominant player alliance in game, and sometimes they like to cause trouble, like when they decided to disrupt the main trade hub for a few days. What they aren't is a terrible force of evil that ruins the day of every player who logs in on a daily basis. They're a bunch of players screwing around like the rest of us - only they have the money and organisation to do it better. And some day, like all the people before them who made it to the top of the hill, they'll lose their position. And everyone will cry 'oh, New Alliance is so terrible, they'll drive the entire game into the ground for laughs' instead.

As for the 'griefing' thing - much of that in my opinion comes from people who either don't play Eve or just don't understand it. It's like chess - I don't start crying when my knight it taken. Even if it ruined my cunning plan, or undid all the hard work I put in to move it to that space, the rules say it can be taken, and that's that.

In Eve, like in chess, you agree to accept the rules when you play.

You agree that your work acquiring a ship can be undone if you screw up, that you can be scammed if you don't read the contract properly, and that even if you're the CEO of the evil terrible goons of death your entire alliance can come crashing down if someone with a bigger stick comes along.

You can't play Eve expecting these rules to be the same in other games. If you think that pvp can only take place in designated zones and that you should be safe in a 'capital city', then the chances are you'll get pissed off when you lose your ship. But it isn't the game that's wrong, it's you. Eve has a different ruleset, and you need to accept that before you play. A lot of people play some kind of theoretical Eve that only exists in their mind, where they're protected from anything they consider unfair. Those people are playing the wrong game. Eve is niche because of this harshness, but it is what it is, not what you want it to be. You can't ignore that any more than you can stop someone taking your knight. You aren't playing chess; you're playing a different game that exists in your head and where you always win.

And honestly, I've lost countless ships, far more than I've killed both in number and expense, to one on one duels and to massive deathfleets that popped up when I thought I was safe. And know what? I don't care, because I'm not a special snowflake who needs to be protect from the big bad world of space pixels. I enjoy the game for what it is, and if it's the right game for you, it can be absolutely brilliant.

(Rant over)

Kenjitsuka:

A-holes in spaceships can't just randomly show up and ruin your game. Bombardments need to be called in by the players on the ground.

Players on Dust 514, who wish to clear out an installation where the enemy has bunkered down, need to paint the area, so that the player in EVE can have something to target. For that to work, the EVE player needs to be able to approach the planet without fear of being shot down by ships that are supporting you and your teammates or planetary defense installations that you've seized control over.

Those very same A-holes will be the ones that will be financing your carrier, too. Players in EVE are fighting to take over the planets in their game. While they're busy fighting to gain "air"-superiority, in space, they're sending out contracts to take control of the surface. Each contract made becomes a new mission in Dust 514. If you win the contested territory, you gain control over it and earn butload of cash that you can use to upgrade your arsenal and take on larger challenges.

Still, I kinda get the vibe that this explanation is wasted on you, what with the whole "space accountants" remark. You're one of those who's knowledge on EVE doesn't go much past "saw that one Yahtzee review"?

deathbeforedecaf:
so you could play EVE on your PC and at the same time be on dust 514 on PS3 and ask yourself for an airstike effectivley?

Yes, if you're willing to accept the risk of keeping your ship in orbit around a contested planet, while most of your attention is focused on the PS3.

In fact, I could imagine rather epic LAN parties, where few friends would hook up few PCs and PS3s in the same room, and collectively fighting to literally take over an entire planet.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here