Spider-Teased

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Spider-Teased

MovieBob offers up some theories as to who just might be the Amazing Spider-Man's next foe.

Read Full Article

It's Norm. Clearly the actor was trying to channel Willem Defoe there. And I think the "extended origin" stuff has been moved to the second movie, which is probably a good idea.

Richard Parker experimented on himself and passed the powers on to Peter? Isn't that the plot of Ang Lee's The Hulk? And wasn't that both terrible and still somehow less convoluted than THIS?

EDIT

Oh look, if I had read the last two sentences before typing I would have known I wasn't the first person to notice. Which is to say, yeah, what Bob said. Why not just do that? It was at least an interesting idea if nothing else.

What about Mac Gargan? Could be the private eye-turned-scorpion retooled for the movies.

I still say that it was Mephisto. Appears out of nowhere, makes some vague explanation, then vanishes? He's getting Parker's marriage even if he has to switch genres to do it.

I don't think he's Electro nor Mysterio or any other of those villains. This guy has to be a schemer, a master planner (hint, hint), so it has to be a big guy, not just a familiar character, but someone who is on top of things.

Now, for obvious reasons he can't be the Kingpin, so I'd vote for either Osborn, Stromm, Smythe or yes, maybe Richard Parker, to a minor degree.

But he also could be the biggest suspect of them all, the one who always stay on top of everything and everyone, the one who knows Spidey's life more than himself: none other than... Stan Lee!

I'd say the Spot but that likely makes no sense since he's not really a schemer. So that said, since the movies seems to take a number of pages from 90's Spiderman, I'd go with Judas Traveller.

Although what they might do is combine Richard Parker and Ezikiel, which could be interesting if done right.

For the record, the videogame tie-in confirms that Pete (his blood, specifically) is the key to the whole human-animal hybrid superpowers thing, and what can prevent people from mutating Lizard-style after the procedure.

They also play Lizard as an ally of ambiguous loyalty. I don't know how much of the game's continuity they'll keep in the sequel, but I bet if these elements were signed off by Sony for use in the game they're not the key part of the plan for the next film.

Instead, Norman Osborn gets name-dropped a lot but he never actually shows up. So... yeah, that.

Oh, incidentally, Mendel Stromm also shows up in the game. He... doesn't end well. Not confirmed dead, but heavily implied. So it wasn't him. They do talk a lot about Michael Morbius as some sort of right-hand man for Osborn and it doesn't pay off in the game, but man, that would be frickin' bizarre baddie selection.

Podunk:
What about Mac Gargan? Could be the private eye-turned-scorpion retooled for the movies.

Sorry, addendum. Scorpion is also in the videogame. He's not Gargan, though. Also Rhino, Vermin and Iguana. That's a bunch of animalistic villains they allowed Activision to use right away, so I'm assuming they were also not in the plan for the film versions.

I'm guessing that the guy didn't look big so it couldn't be the Kingpin.

For all the legitimate ill press this movie has been getting from some folks I have to admit that I'm surprised that they managed to show a degree of restraint in one area.

Everything I've seen about this film, from it's "dark and gritty" overtone to it's evil corporate super science and big reveal of Parker's Super Scientist parents almost seemed to be tailor made for fast tracking Venom into the story by way of botched experimentation.

Specifically hinting that Venom is the the end result of one of the shady bits of super science OsCorp had the Parkers working on.

Maybe I'm assuming too much because that was more or less the route they took in the Ultimate Spider-Man comic.

Now I know this was The Lizard's movie and bringing Venom into it would have pulled the focus away from that, but I would still have expected it to be mentioned or revealed in an end of film stinger as sequel bait.

Most likely the Green Goblin, that coupled with the fact that Gwen Stacy is the lead love could lead to a very dramatic climax.

aguywhoknowsaguy:
I'm guessing that the guy didn't look big so it couldn't be the Kingpin.

I'm not sure they could, anyway. Doesn't Fox still own the movie rights for Kingpin?

Didn't it establish earlier on in the film that Dr Connors was suffering Willem Defoe style schizophrenia? I assumed it was just him having an argument in his own mind.

Perhaps I saw it wrong, but I thought the shadowy figure was missing his left arm (eg, a reflection of Connors?). Just my two pence...

I don't get Bob's love of all the worst parts of comic books. Giving Electro a more believable origin story than being an electrician who was hit by lightning while holding some power cords would be "sad"?

It reminds me of how during his review he expressed displeasure with the tendency of adaptations to roll character origins together. The least believable part of typical comics canon is that so many people undergo weird freak events that give them super powers, and all around the same time so they can fight each other. In movies its especially bad; what are the chances that Peter would have been bitten by the spider around the same time that, unrelatedly, Dr. Connors accidentally became the Lizard?

The best thing about comic book movies is that they can ignore and avoid the stupidest parts of actual comic book worlds, and I think Bob's a little too close to the originals to evaluate some parts of these movies.

Now this is nerd commitment. Having so much anger and disgust for a film, Bob still must explore the lore threads brought up. I salute you sir.

You know, if it is Electro acting as someone's go-to-guy I hope they don't give him that ridiculous costume.
Look at it! Its like it epitomises the Silver Age
Maybe they should make the lightning-bolt star thing a tattoo on his face. Or go the Spectacular Spider-Man route and just make the lightning his face altogether

If I cared in the slightest bit, I might have been intrigued by this, but I intend to make no attempts to see any movies in this version of the Spider-Man franchise. Not even on Netflix or on TV.
This version of Spider-Man can fuck right off.

Bob, you missed the most obvious choice. Hat? Trenchcoat? Seems to come and go unseen. Classic identifiable yet vague Spidey villain? Corporate spy (among other things)

How about the Chameleon?

Pallindromemordnillap:

Look at it! Its like it epitomises the Silver Age

This is a problem... why, exactly?

You're all wrong!!!

I have the script's final draft right here and it clearly states that our mysterious figure is none other than The Question following up a lead on the Girl Scout/aglet conspiracy!!

RJ Dalton:
If I cared in the slightest bit, I might have been intrigued by this, but I intend to make no attempts to see any movies in this version of the Spider-Man franchise. Not even on Netflix or on TV.
This version of Spider-Man can fuck right off.

At least it's not "Miles Morales"

KeyMaster45:
You're all wrong!!!

I have the script's final draft right here and it clearly states that our mysterious figure is none other than The Question following up a lead on the Girl Scout/aglet conspiracy!!

No, that's silly. This is a spider-man that has far more realistic characters! He's clearly following up a lead on if the light in your fridge really does go off when you shut the door. Now that's a real conspiracy!

OT: I'm going with Norman Osborn. I think he's going to be the shady mastermind that controls everything and is using 'I'm dieing' as a front to hide his real motives. Also, I thought it would be more interesting if the shadowy man had given Dr. Connors a vial of that green goo before he left. It would have let them bring back the Lizard later and also could have been used in a sort of moral dilemma to develop the character. Do I use this and escape as an animal or serve my time as a man?

I read about an interview with Rhys Ifans where he says that the guy at the end was not Normon Osborn, but a representative from Oscorp. I think they need to do the Green Goblin as a villain for the sequel, also have him played by William Dafoe because there is no other Green Goblin I don't care what anyone says.

I put my money on Osborn himself. They really need THE big villain to be introduced in the next movie if they are going for a trilogy here. I'm surprised he didn't make an appearance in the movie. They could have introduced Osborn in the first movie. After Spidey and Lizard wreck shit up, Osborn could be so angry that he wants to take care of Spidey himself. He becomes the Green Goblin in the second (maybe at the end) while Spidey fights some other Villain in the movie (with the whole Cross species thing, i'd go for Rhino or Scorpion) and in the third he goes after Spidey himself as the Goblin and kills Gwen Stacey...

I really doubt they'd bring back any of the other villains from the old spidey trilogy, so Doc Ock is out...as well as Sandman plus Venom...

Goblin is important enough to Spider-man's universe that they would be stupid NOT to include him...

If it actually turns out to be "The Jackal" (I highly doubt that, but you never know), i'm boycotting the movie for resurrecting that horrid shit...

Why not Kraven the Hunter?

maybe the Hobgoblin?

This topic should have had a poll too. ;)

The sequel tease annoys me in crappy movies like Green Lantern, but excites me in good movies like the Marvel Cinematic canon. I hate the idea of a crappy movie teasing the idea of a sequel, like they're so sure THIS crap is going to be successful enough to warrant one. I guess it doesn't bother me much in the Marvel Universe canon because I knew they were going to at LEAST see things out to The Avengers, so it's nice to see some inter-movie continuity. I'm probably viewing this the wrong way, like whether the movie turns out good or bad, they want to hype people up with foreshadowing and extra bits to those who pay attention. Too bad if the movie sucks, it's a pointless endeavor.

The film tries hard not to suck, it has its moments but is the worst of the new marvel films since Spidey 1(or is equally as bad as 3 just in different ways).

What ever they do I hope they make him a geek again and not some drop out loser type...it makes no sense.... he is not Eddie Brock............

Won't be Stromm, I doubt they'd adapt the Clone Saga since it's getting plenty of hate for not having Spiderman be a 50 year old pastiche of a geek, Electro seems unlikely since they seem to at least be following a theme of genetic manipulation enhancement etc (seriously, played the game first and the movie at least follows a good line thematically, not that Bob's gonna accept that line of reasoning), I... kinda want to say Chameleon too but not sure. Cos Morbius would be cool, but it'd just make the Twilight comparisons more justified.

It depends on the line they take after this, I doubt they're going to have serious plot revelations in the second movie and the third's going to be "Catch your Girlfriend, Spiderman" with an amped up Osborn so... if Sony have the balls to kill Gwen off that'd be an interesting third movie. More interesting if they find actual goblin DNA to cross Osborn with, even if it'd jump the shark.

My Money is on Professor Warren, but that's only because I want them to make the most convoluted monstrosity of a plot for the audience.

I must say, I absolutely love this article:

"The Amazing Spider-man is a God awful piece of shit movie that I hate with every fiber of my being.....

..... Hey, let's speculate who the villain in the next movie is, guys! I have a few theories already!"

Oliver90909:
Didn't it establish earlier on in the film that Dr Connors was suffering Willem Defoe style schizophrenia? I assumed it was just him having an argument in his own mind.

Perhaps I saw it wrong, but I thought the shadowy figure was missing his left arm (eg, a reflection of Connors?). Just my two pence...

i believe that the conversation was indeed in his head but that it was with a person that actually exists if you get me. and if thats the case then either norman osborn or ezekiel but if it was with an actual person its gotta be electro, after all the lightning striking when the person entered and exited the room. and if thats the case it seems electro will be an old man which is...actually preety cool.

See, that's an example of terrible storytelling right there. They should not be allowed to get away with elaborating plot points in the video game. If your movie needs extra material to be fully explained it has failed.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here