Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 17 NEXT

Seems to me that the problem is not the consoles themselves so much as how they are forced to be used by the corporations who make their games. It's hardly the 360's or PS 3's fault that EA, Activision, etc. require DRM and the like. I for one can't afford a gaming PC, much less a good one that will keep me up to date for the few years, which is why I like my console games. Also I find that I actually enjoy the community more on the console games simply because I find that PC gamers take the games more seriously than console players. That's just my experience though, and may or may not be yours. Yeah on XBOX Live you get 12 year old racists who are enthralled with the ability to swear and not get smacked around for it, but that is why I love the mute feature :)

TLDR: I like console gaming because my experience is that the community is more laid back, I also can't afford a good PC and don't blame consoles for what the publishers make them do any more than I blame my car for going fast when I hit the gas pedal.

4RT1LL3RY:
My sister isn't a PC gamer, but I showed her Diablo 3 and got her into it. Shes playing it fine on her $450 laptop at 1366x768 and medium-high graphics with 50+ fps. AMD APU's are very nice for low budget gaming on laptops and desktops.

Depending on what you do PC gaming makes more sense to certain people. Every CS major I have meet at college has or does currently game. If you are going to need a nice computer its only an extra $150 to make it able to game great.

Console gaming being "cheaper" is kind of a bad argument though. You spend less upfront but spend more in the long run on games. With PC gaming prices actually drop on games. I have a library of games on steam worth nearly $1000 and only spent about $400 total. About $200 of it was spent on day of release games, the rest was massive sales in summer and christmas.

Really? No.

I own 14 games for my PS3. 3 of them bought at $60, the rest used for between 15 and 40. My PS3 cost me $300.

My PC cost me $600 (Monitor included). It was purchased 3 years ago. It cannot run any current AAA titles. Skyrim will not run on it. Crysis... yeah no. Battlefield? No. I bought 2 games at $60, and the rest were around 10 to 15.

Cost analysis? Console was cheaper, and can actually run games from this year.

I will admit, I am primarily a PC gamer, because PC gaming is just easier; in large part thanks to STEAM. And when I got my own gaming rig my 360 started to gather dust pretty quickly.

That said, console's have one major advantage over PCs.... Split-screen multiplayer. Now, most of my friends that game are like me, they have pretty good gaming rigs, and know the ins and outs of a computer better than most (the folks I hang out with mostly have degrees in IT or Comp Sci) But unless we decide that we want to do a LAN party for some special occasion, more often than not when we get together in person, it is just much easier to boot up a console and play a split9-screen game like Halo, Star Wars Battlefront or castle crashers ( yes I know this is not split-screen)

But if you ask me THAT is what the console has over the PC, interactive couch play. And if the console is going to survive beyond this next generation, THAT is what it needs to get back to, be the tool we use to actually spend face time with each other like in past generations.

Because lets be honest, PC has won the online multi-player battle simply by not charging an extra $50 a year to use.

OH YEAH, and I should mention to whomever made the call to kill SW Battlefront 3...... REALLY STUPID move DUDE/DUDE-ET

major_chaos:

Scrumpmonkey:

The Almighty Aardvark:

And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200. Which, including warranty, taxes and everything else probably costs at least $1400. And that's on LOWER settings.

gphjr14:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.

Terminate421:
So now you bought a game you cannot use unless you spend more money to UPGRADE the PC.

ಠ_ಠ not this myth again. Seriously folks. This shit gets OLD. I can run Skyrim on custom high (some settings tweaked/modded) on a PC from early 2009 that cost me £600. Not being able to find something for under $1500 (£1000) is just pain baffling.

I could knock you up a system for £300-£400 that would beat the pants of Skyrim on med/high. Infact Scan (UK supplier but still an example) is selling a system that has 100% of bits you would need (including HDDs, Disk Drives etc etc) for £500 that is actually very high end. So if you bought a £100 GPU that's a full high end system for £600. That took me all of 30 seconds.

I'm starting to think PCs are cheaper in the UK because my comp is just over a year old and set me back just over a thousand USD (not counting the HD that failed after a year and needed to be replaced, a decent mouse ect.) but is a piece of garbage that cant manage medium settings on anything nice looking.

Yeah, you must be making some poor decisions for parts I suppose. I built a rig as recently as 6 months ago for someone, only about 600 bucks and it is a decent gaming machine. It handles most out there at medium-high. I am in the US also, not a UK user here.
In fact, I am trying to sell a gaming machine right now for only 500 bucks, that will beat up most games out there now.
It is much easier now though, because all games are designed with consoles in mind, meaning that the specs needed are so much lower than what is out there for hardware. You can really lowball it nowadays and still run all games.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Really? No.

I own 14 games for my PS3. 3 of them bought at $60, the rest used for between 15 and 40. My PS3 cost me $300.

My PC cost me $600 (Monitor included). It was purchased 3 years ago. It cannot run any current AAA titles. Skyrim will not run on it. Crysis... yeah no. Battlefield? No. I bought 2 games at $60, and the rest were around 10 to 15.

Moral of this story: Don't buy walmart computers.

My PC cost me $700 with the monitor, is 3 years old, hasn't been upgraded in any way since I bought it, and it plays every game on full on high or ultra settings at 60+ FPS.

Sorry your analysis is wrong.

Captcha: i love you

Clive Howlitzer:
snip

What qualifies as "poor decisions"? If "didn't have nearly enough patience to buy it one piece at a time and assemble it myself so I bought it custom built from Ibuypower" counts than yes I guess I have, but other than that I don't know what I did wrong, and I still don't get how people are making good PCs for $500 when right off the bat it's $200~ for windows and $150~ for a decent graphics card.

Jim Sterling:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

There was once a time when consoles had something that PCs didn't have. They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient. They dominated the market because they dominated our need to be lazy and catered to. Then this generation happened.

Watch Video

I too reminisce of the good old days of ANY other generation of console. hell, I prefer my old Sega master system to the bloated consoles of this generation. I admit that through the evolution of technology digital rights have become an important concern for publishers (although it should be for the bloody designers but that's a rant for another time) and there should be DRM and i also admit that games are now far bigger than they were and downloading patches and DLC are a necessary evil, however patches day 1????????? DLC day one??????? they should be part of the fucking game (ESPECIALLY when its part of the core game!!!!!!!). when I see this gens consoles i feel like they were trying to perform cunnilingus (or fellatio if that's your thing) on PC's but due to... i don't know just being blind to what makes PC gaming good, they aimed to low and sucked all the shit out of PC gamings ass-hole.

the biggest argument for PC over console is that consoles control what you can and cannot access online (mods, etc). while true that usually its not console gamers cup of tea to go and find mods, the decent thing for consoles to do while it makes you wait for download progression, verification from a server or stopping you from playing because Bethesda cant get their act together is to allow you to find something else to do or find some way of fixing publishers mistakes and no; going onto Youtube doesn't count. PC had it first :P

it is true that consoles are cheaper than PC's (IN GENERAL) however, if your already going to splash out on a PC for work or whatever, doesn't it seem like a sensible idea to add the cost of the console you want to the purchase of a better PC? OK if this isn't the case for you skip to the next paragraph, but for people like

malestrithe:
Knowing that I can play the game whenever I want will keep me coming back to the consoles. As soon as the console go bye bye, I will get a Tablet to play games on.

Sorry, but I use the PC to conduct my business. I need to keep them separate in my mind. I will not play anything more complicated than Facebook games on a PC.

WFT???? honestly i know what you mean, seeing my skyrim icon on my desktop makes me drool while doing my thesis but your an adult. act like it. self control is hard but please for the sake of all our people you and others like you need to stop and think "are consoles trying to turn me, the consumer, into a punching bag filled with money? are they going to continually abuse me like some unwanted pet? they are? well I'm not going to buy their product then. I have a perfectly good PC at home."

whenever I buy a console game I feel like I've been robbed of my time. i know that all games are just massive time sink but i don't want to sink my time into installing and un-installing retarding software to play resistance 3. The most horrifying thing about this is the consoles ALLOW publishers to do this? console publishers have the power to turn around and say "WTF how much installing? what the hell is this crap for? if valve can do it you cant? no no no its all wrong go and watch Jim Sterling u mongoloid". but instead of spanking publishers they want to put their arms up any soft hole of their consumers to pull out as much currency as possible (or to use us as puppets).

oh and the argument that u can still trade in console games is dead. when the publishers of the consoles want to kill its one saving grace you cant use it as an argument. I'm sorry but no.

I used to believe that consoles would always be able to put up a fight against PC gaming but I'm sorry consoles have castrated themselves and are out of the running. PC > console

P.S if they get it right with the next gen of consoles I will run through the streets butt naked and doing cartwheels. oh and hell will freeze over and Riccitiello will commit seppuku for trying to justify DLC on day one of a game launch

NameIsRobertPaulson:

4RT1LL3RY:
My sister isn't a PC gamer, but I showed her Diablo 3 and got her into it. Shes playing it fine on her $450 laptop at 1366x768 and medium-high graphics with 50+ fps. AMD APU's are very nice for low budget gaming on laptops and desktops.

Depending on what you do PC gaming makes more sense to certain people. Every CS major I have meet at college has or does currently game. If you are going to need a nice computer its only an extra $150 to make it able to game great.

Console gaming being "cheaper" is kind of a bad argument though. You spend less upfront but spend more in the long run on games. With PC gaming prices actually drop on games. I have a library of games on steam worth nearly $1000 and only spent about $400 total. About $200 of it was spent on day of release games, the rest was massive sales in summer and christmas.

Really? No.

How much did your console cost you with TV included? yeah that what I thought.

EDIT: And yeah, the PC you bought three years ago suuuucks, not a reflection on the platform.

Jim Sterling:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

There was once a time when consoles had something that PCs didn't have. They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient. They dominated the market because they dominated our need to be lazy and catered to. Then this generation happened.

Watch Video

I too reminisce of the good old days of ANY other generation of console. hell, I prefer my old Sega master system to the bloated consoles of this generation. I admit that through the evolution of technology digital rights have become an important concern for publishers (although it should be for the bloody designers but that's a rant for another time) and there should be DRM and i also admit that games are now far bigger than they were and downloading patches and DLC are a necessary evil, however patches day 1????????? DLC day one??????? they should be part of the fucking game (especially when its part of the core game!!!!!!!). when I see this gens consoles i feel like they were trying to perform cunnilingus (or fellatio if that's your thing) on PC's but due to... i don't know just being blind to what makes PC gaming good, they aimed to low and sucked the wrong hole.

the biggest argument for PC over console is that consoles control what you can and cannot access online (mods, etc). while true that usually its not console gamers cup of tea to go and find mods, the decent thing for consoles to do while it makes you wait for download progression, verification from a server or stopping you from playing because Bethesda cant get their act together is to allow you to find something else to do or find some way of fixing publishers mistakes and no; going onto Youtube doesn't count. PC had it first :P

it is true that consoles are cheaper than PC's (in general) however, if your already going to splash out on a PC for work or whatever, doesn't it seem like a sensible idea to add the cost of the console you want to the purchase of a better PC? OK if this isn't the case for you skip to the next paragraph, but for people like

malestrithe:
Knowing that I can play the game whenever I want will keep me coming back to the consoles. As soon as the console go bye bye, I will get a Tablet to play games on.

Sorry, but I use the PC to conduct my business. I need to keep them separate in my mind. I will not play anything more complicated than Facebook games on a PC.

wtf???? honestly i know what you mean, seeing my skyrim icon on my desktop makes me drool while doing my thesis but your an adult. act like it. self control is hard but please for the sake of all our people you and others like you need to stop and think "are consoles trying to turn me, the consumer, into a punching bag filled with money? are they going to continually abuse me like some unwanted pet? they are? well I'm not going to buy their product then. I have a perfectly good PC at home."

whenever I buy a console game I feel like I've been robbed of my time. i know that all games are just massive time sink but i don't want to sink my time into installing and un-installing retarding software to play resistance 3. The most horrifying thing about this is the consoles ALLOW publishers to do this? console publishers have the power to turn around and say "WTF how much installing? what the hell is this crap for? if valve can do it you cant? no no no its all wrong go and watch Jim Sterling u mongoloid". but instead of spanking publishers they want to put their arms up any soft hole of their consumers to pull out as much currency as possible (or to use us as puppets).

oh and the argument that u can still trade in console games is dead. when the publishers of the consoles want to destroy its one saving grace you cant use it as an argument. I'm sorry but no.

I used to believe that consoles would always be able to put up a fight against PC gaming but I'm sorry consoles have castrated themselves and are out of the running. PC > console

P.S if they get it right with the next gen of consoles I will run through the streets butt naked and doing cartwheels. oh and hell will freeze over and Riccitiello will commit seppuku for trying to justify DLC on day one of a game launch

All I have to add to this is my gaming rig (probably worth around £400-500, without the extra hard drives which you don't need)can play any game on high, bet your thinking yeah yeah well yeah if that was all I used it for then I would be an idiot but here's the thing I use my rig for EVERYTHING...

Here's a small list of some of things I do;

* Web browsing/instant messaging
* Word/Excel/Powerpoint/etc. for uni
* Running virtual machines for Oracle and SQL Server for uni work
* Running forensic programs and carrying out forensic investigations (more uni work)
* Building and Compiling Programs for uni
* Carrying out tech support on friends computers both onsite and remotely
* Gaming
* Watching TV (have TV adapter)

There's just a few things I do on my rig but here's the my point, I would still need that £500 computer + peripherals for university and then a gaming rig + tv on top of that? No thanks I'll just use my computer.

What was the video/trailer used in this vid? The science fiction one at the end.

Oh god you know whats sad? with all the controversy surrounding tomb raider ass creed and anita sarkeesian I actually miss these debates or whatever you call em! I really do. :.( gods we were so innocent once. lmao

Alexnader:

thanatos388:
Um...pcs are expensive and require upgrades to the pc itself to play new games. They are still a bigger hassle. That outweighs anything a pc can do as most gamers wont spend 15000 dollars to have higher definition graphics that add fuck all to the game itself.

Lets not forget the amount of money saved in the long run by using a PC. I can save $30 on a pre order for a new game compared to getting the console version from the same store. (ozgameshop.com). For games that I'm not buying on release, I could get 2-3 of them for the price of a single console game (steam). Then there's the cheap indie/classic games of which you can get 6 for the price of a single console game.

As for upgrading, I view PCs the way I view a really good jacket. After the large initial purchase it should last ~3-4 years with a little care before there's a little fraying around the edges. It should still work after more than 6 years but I wouldn't take it anywhere fancy. You can also spruce it up a bit whenever you want (this is where the jacket metaphor falls short) and extend its life. I've never had to upgrade or make notable changes on a game by game basis. If you set it up right the first time it'll be good to you for a long time.

For anyone who has the capital for a relatively large initial investment, PC gaming is the best way to go for those who play a variety of games with high frequency. For those who only pick up the occasional game every couple of months and just want to sit back once or twice a week and play games then I still feel consoles beat PCs. However as Jim was saying, consoles are losing some of that convenience advantage.

I'm starting to notice that gamers are very similar to the industry where the majority only want short term investments. Much less "risk" and you pay a premium for it. PC gaming is cheaper in the long run as my first post uses a real life example where my cousin has less games than me over many years but has paid over 500 bucks more.

Consoles still have their uses, but with more bloatware being added to them, I am seeing a steady decline in my desire to buy games for them and with a 28% drop in game sales in april I believe, it shows that I am not alone in this thinking.

At least on a console, when I'm in the process of starting up the game; I don't have to worry about some BS clause in the agreement terms for this software that gives them my permission to install disturbingly intrusive malware for collecting data from my PC.

Because of console simplicity; even if Sony was actually getting away with that; there's fuck-all of interest or any kind of dark secrets or browsing activity to be found on my console.

Khanht Cope:
At least on a console, when I'm in the process of starting up the game; I don't have to worry about some BS clause in the agreement terms for this software that gives them my permission to install disturbingly intrusive malware for collecting data from my PC.

Because of console simplicity; even if Sony was actually getting away with that; there's fuck-all of interest or any kind of dark secrets or browsing activity to be found on my console.

true but heres the difference; sony (or even MS on xbox) wont ask ur permission, you've already agreed when u purchased the console. they'll just take it cos in their eyes ur just using their property, not u owning a product they made.

Having been a PC gamer and a console gamer, allow me to say this: PC gaming is no better or worse than console gaming because like beauty itself, it is very much down to the viewpoint of the individual.

Personally, I find the console to be more convienient than the PC. I just pop in a disc and away I go. Personally, I have found that the PS3 is the console that takes forever to update and patch things, the X-box does take about 20 seconds for a big patch. I can imagine that PC patches are slightly quicker than even this.

Jim's gripe is with the speed of the PSN and using that alone as a strawman for all consoles. That's what I call lazy journalism. I've seen better journalism from Samantha Brick of the Daily Mail.

Price-wise, the PC and consoles are fairly comparible. PCs themselves are expensive and require expensive upgrading - but the games are cheap. Consoles are relatively cheap, but the games are more expensive. Six of one and half a dozen of the other, as it were. The question is how many games does can one person afford (or even want) come payday - and that will vary from person to person. People will buy what suits their pocket more and the platform that they and they alone - want.

What Mr Sterling has done has done is not only gloss over this simple economic fact of life, but he has rode roughshod over the choices so many people have made just because they made a different choice to him. This is pure arrogance and laziness on the part of Mr Sterling.

And finally, when it comes to DLC and the murky depths of doing business with the publishers - I will agree with Mr Sterling. The publishers are a bunch of ammoral shysters looking to con people out of their money like snake oil salesmen with all flash and no substance.

The only thing I can suggest to Mr Sterling is to try and avoid the game altogether for a few months and pick up a second-hand copy of the game to offset the cost and write to the publishers explaining - not whining - about why he's done this. A few thousand of these letters or e-mails like this would be very difficult to ignore for any publisher and their shareholders. Certainly much harder for the publishers to ignore by venting our spleens on forums away from them. Don't expect them to come to us - we have to go to them.

The reason why I use consoles is their price and the fact that they have rentals. Also, excluding the Xbox which is a piece of shit, they are way more durable than PC's. Pretty much any PC that I have owned in the past has had some sort of hardware malfunction on average every year, forcing me to spend more money on it when I don't want to, in order to replace that faulty ram stick or hard drive that inexplicably pissed itself or motherboard that blew its fuses. PC hardware is offensively low quality (not performance, quality). On the other hand, my fat PS3 has had zero problems in the last 6 years, and neither has my Wii.

FelixG:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

4RT1LL3RY:

Really? No.

How much did your console cost you with TV included? yeah that what I thought.

EDIT: And yeah, the PC you bought three years ago suuuucks, not a reflection on the platform.

As a matter of fact, my TV was $30 (Goodwill store).

And the fact still remains I bought a PC that the average person owns, and now it doesn't play games through no fault of my own. I bought the a console the average PS3 owner owns, and it runs games. Simple isn't it?

antman890:

Khanht Cope:

true but heres the difference; sony (or even MS on xbox) wont ask ur permission, you've already agreed when u purchased the console. they'll just take it cos in their eyes ur just using their property, not u owning a product they made.

CITATION NEEDED, or this is conspiracy bullcrap.

Kroxile:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Really? No.

Moral of this story: Don't buy walmart computers.

My PC cost me $700 with the monitor, is 3 years old, hasn't been upgraded in any way since I bought it, and it plays every game on full on high or ultra settings at 60+ FPS.

Sorry your analysis is wrong.

Captcha: i love you

I call BS. A graphics card that can run today's stuff runs about $160. OS is anywhere from 100-200. Processor is at least $110. So I'm guessing you're fudging your numbers.

EDIT: Decided to use Newegg for prices

Average Processor: $171 (Low of 139)
Video Card: $233 (Low of 159)
Sound Card: $60 (Low of $39)
Case: $78 (Low of 35)

That's over $700 right there on average. So yeah, I'm calling BS.

SonOfVoorhees:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.

Holy unfounded generalisations, Batman!

We like the tech aspects, sure. Nobody can say that having a game look worse is a good thing. That is not what PC gamers want, though. Go have a look at the top selling items on steam for example. What's that, it's ARMA II? I wonder why that is...

Oh right, DayZ. That really shoddy looking mod with bad physics and loads of bugs, but great gameplay.

Poisoned Al:

MrDeckard:

1) The PS3 is the only console that isn't convenient. With my 360, I can pop in a game and be playing within seconds.

2) Consoles (at least in my experience) are far more reliable. No dicking around with settings. VERY few crashes. Will always run the game.

> 360, doesn't crash.

SEEMS LEGIT!

I have a 360. It's a crash happy pile of crap you lying fanboy scum!

I'm really not sure how to even respond to something like this...

First of all, I said that IN MY EXPERIENCE. This has nothing to do with YOU'RE experience.
Second, I NEVER said that my 360 "doesn't" crash. I said very few crashes.
Third, nice 4chan green text and 9gag meme response you got there.
Fourth........ really? Is even one iota of your post the least bit serious? Because if it is, I think you're on the wrong forum. And if it isn't serious..... You sir, need to lurk more.

JET1971:

TwiZtah:

The Almighty Aardvark:

And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200.

snip.

Sorry i didnt want to scroll up but I am backing you here...

less than 30 seconds at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108938

less than 2 minutes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883203766

Someones argument holds water like a bucket made out of window screen.

Nice grabs... from the re-furbished section. Some people like to have their stuff new so they're not on the hook if the memory card decides to melt (true story). I can find you 70 and 80 dollar consoles on Craiglist. And I would trust them the same as a refurbished PC.

kurupt87:
What was the video/trailer used in this vid? The science fiction one at the end.

The live action one?

From the budget, insignias, ship design, and the fact the largest vessel is labelled UNSC Infinity, I'll say from the Halo franchise. Most likely Halo 4.

You're lucky I spotted your post in the midst of all the screaming and ranting.

meh, call me when J-RPGs will come to PC. As it stands now all me favourite games this gen are ether console exclusives or works just fine on console. PC just don't have games for me to justify 500-600$ PC buy.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I call BS. A graphics card that can run today's stuff runs about $160. OS is anywhere from 100-200. Processor is at least $110. So I'm guessing you're fudging your numbers.

EDIT: Decided to use Newegg for prices

Average Processor: $171 (Low of 139)
Video Card: $233 (Low of 159)
Sound Card: $60 (Low of $39)
Case: $78 (Low of 35)

That's over $700 right there on average. So yeah, I'm calling BS.

Here's a cheap ass mid-high gaming rig. Under 700 ( Note it's a pre-built one, if you build it yourself it's even cheaper. )

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h2/N19h7m4r3/?action=view¤t=59cb6b3f.png

System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case (default choice, options available)
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
- CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 3.60GHz Processor
- Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset (AM3+) Motherboard
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drives: 1TB HDD
- Graphics Card: AMD 760G Onboard + MSI HD 6850 1GB
- Sound: 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
- CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler

A decent 24" monitor also only starts at 113.99 Inc VAT/TAx
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-063-AC&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

You're easily going to get a cheaper system than that if you spend about 1 hour searching the internet on what and how to assemble a PC.

Also if you don't have/or want a monitor you can just plug it into a TV with an HDMI or VGA cable.

My favourite Jimquisition by far.

I couldn't agree more :3

The only argument im hearing from people who disagree with this is that you need to spend loads of money for a good pc and then dick around making sure it works on your rig, comparability issues. WRONG. And you sounding like old Apple Mac Switch ad's. Stupid. Either your pc is old or you've just got it years and years ago and are wondering why it will not play the latest games.

I built a rig 4/5 years ago for around 400/500 have no idea where some of you morons are getting 1500 from, dont need a fucking overpriced Alienware. And during that time i upgraded the graphics card once in order to keep up. And it was only a mid level rig id say and it lasted 4/5 years about the same life span as a console, ive prob spent far less on games and parts combined as my consoles counter parts. The cost of 3 brand new ps3/360 games will get you a good graphics card. So the cost argument is not working. Games have a far better and longer life span on pc then consoles. Good example of this is Counter-Strike 1.6 came well over a decade ago and is STILL played by legions of players.

Simply put. Build yourself a pc really does not cost you the earth, your saving yourself alot of money in the long run. If i can do it anyone can, it really is not rocket science.

AstaresPanda:
The only argument im hearing from people who disagree with this is that you need to spend loads of money for a good pc and then dick around making sure it works on your rig, comparability issues. WRONG. And you sounding like old Apple Mac Switch ad's. Stupid. Either your pc is old or you've just got it years and years ago and are wondering why it will not play the latest games.

I built a rig 4/5 years ago for around 400/500 have no idea where some of you morons are getting 1500 from, dont need a fucking overpriced Alienware. And during that time i upgraded the graphics card once in order to keep up. And it was only a mid level rig id say and it lasted 4/5 years about the same life span as a console, ive prob spent far less on games and parts combined as my consoles counter parts. The cost of 3 brand new ps3/360 games will get you a good graphics card. So the cost argument is not working. Games have a far better and longer life span on pc then consoles. Good example of this is Counter-Strike 1.6 came well over a decade ago and is STILL played by legions of players.

Simply put. Build yourself a pc really does not cost you the earth, your saving yourself alot of money in the long run. If i can do it anyone can, it really is not rocket science.

I have to agree with this, not to mention that computers have far far more uses than a console.

It's amazing how many people tend to forget that. In this day and age everyone in a developed world uses computers, so why do people think you need to have a BSc to be able to even assemble one?

You have the internet and all the parts come with detailed pictures in step by step instructions for people to assemble it all.

Lately I've been feeling the very same way as Jim. I always loved consoles for their ability to simply work. Put the game in, it worked. That's becoming less and less the case, and everything on consoles is becoming more annoying, the games are less innovative and more expensive, and it doesn't seem like things will be getting any better going forward.

As for the cost analysis, this gen I've had a PS3 ($350, 60GB near-ish to launch) and Wii ($150) with battery packs ($20), needed a DualShock3 ($60) to replace the SixAxis, plus a large new HDD ($100) for PS3, and my PS3 broke down last month and is being repaired by Sony right now ($130). Over $800 total.

If I had dared to add a 360 into the mix, I'd be up and over the cost of my moderately powerful $1000 PC I bought a few years back. It's not the hottest thing around, but I sprung for the extra bit to make it last--I'm hoping a full decade, like my previous one. It runs all the latest games, better than on consoles, and unless I want to do super anti-aliasing, I don't see a pressing need to update anything on it any time soon. I fully expect it to be a reliable machine for years to come.

Between Steam and GoG sales, I haven't spent more than $10 on almost any game, which I most certainly can't say for PS3/Wii. With a 360 controller plugged into it, I can hardly tell that I'm not on a console, except that everything looks better, loads faster and doesn't have half-hour installs. Add in the far greater variety of games on PC, while consoles are continuing to narrow their focus more and more to the lowest common denominator, and it makes me unable to get excited in any way for the next generation, which I would have never imagined happening at the start of this gen. The publishers have ruined consoles.

I'll probably be sticking with a reliable PC from now on. I have almost every older console system and can still play around with those, and PC gets so large a percentage of console libraries that, yeah, next-gen consoles can just disappear for all I care.

I couldn't agree more. With consoles like the N64 and PS1 as well as the Sega Genesis and Super NES each system looked and sounded different while having a different feel about them. Now they are all the same. Cheap computers in cheaper cases.

tbth given most of you are supposedly in that consumer bracket that the marketing men love to death (18-30ish males with no "responsibilities" yet) i'm always surprised people don't actually have both (personally i have 3 PCs and 9 consoles)

anyway there are a lot of rumours about MS doing with xbox live what they always wanted to do with it (making it cross platform and having the same games on Windows and their Direct X living room box) and them and sonys next consoles being upgradable so tbh i suspect in the med to long term the lines are gonna get pretty blurry.

as for the price argument...well its a pretty false one considering how much they are screwing as much as they can out console gamers for online content. wringing you dry for stuff that used to be free (or still is "on PC") is basically their main business strategy for dealing with the fact the hardware is sold at a loss.

but ye it was the beginning of the end for real "solid state" console gaming where "things just work" out the box as soon as they got high bandwidth internet and hard discs. loads of gaming commentators said so at the time but it seems few remember...and for a technical pov the have always been "crap PCs"...and they will always probably always be "crap PCs" considering every single part in them will be sourced from the PC industry from now on...

PS. oh and anyone who EVER suggests consoles will surpass PCs in capability at some point should be slapped to death with their own lower intestine just for being an idiot.

Magmarock:
I couldn't agree more. With consoles like the N64 and PS1 as well as the Sega Genesis and Super NES each system looked and sounded different while having a different feel about them. Now they are all the same. Cheap computers in cheaper cases.

I remember a very amusing PC Format article nearly a decade ago about how to destroy your current computer and make it more like the recently released Xbox ( original ). Even then they were lacking compared to a modest PC.

My last console was the PS2 and I break it out only when the GF and I feel the need for some old school DOA and Soul Calibre.

Other than that, she has a €450 laptop for some games and I have my work/study/gaming system.

The two most expensive PC parts I had ever bought in my life (Graphics card GTX 680 and Hazro 27" IPS LED monitor) will last me years and thanks to amazing 3-5 year warranties will easily last until the system actually needs to be replaced.

The rest of my system was under 700, and thanks to the CPU's built in GPU even if the GTX 680 dies I can easily continue to work as I wait for the RMA process to get done.

Am I late to the shitstorm?
No? Anyway; Don't worry Jim; As soon as new generation of consoles will be realeased you'll be able to laugh at those POOR and GAMELESS Pc gamers again! That is until that generation will become even more overloaded with money-gathering/gaming-killing features, which will result in the next dawn of PCGMR...

But seriously: From what i've understood, Mr. Sterling points out that major problem of this generation of consoles is that it shares with PC's flaws that used to be associated with the latter? I don't think that makes this platform war really necessary. Oh, wait: platform war... necessary... Nevermind.

what jim said is true, consoles dont have as many advantages as they used to have.
however, they are still cheaper than a PC if you exclude bullcrap like xbox live fees (which is still rather negligible for me because i can get it ~50% off online compared to the german retail price for a 12 month subscription).
i got my PS3 slim with a 120gb HDD and uncharted 2 for 235€.
my PC, which isnt exactly super powerful but still kinda decent, cost me ~600€.
on my PS3 i might have to install games like on my PC but i dont have to worry about hardware. every game released in this generation will work on it.
if i want to play new games on my PC i might have to shell out an extra 100 bucks for a new GPU just so that the game wont look like utter shit and runs at a decent framerate.
unlike PC games i can also sell console games again after im done with them. most german stores that buy used games dont buy used PC games.

at this point i really just use my PC for smaller indie titles and older games that i want to play again and i use it to stream movies to my PS3 because it has more than enough power for that to run properly.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here