Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

mrc390:

The Hungry Samurai:

mrc390:

If this is even true, you got COMPLETELY ripped off on that PC. Two years ago I built my PC for about €650 (had to buy everything, couldn't recycle a monitor or a case or some ram. Also had to buy windows 7) and I'm running Skyrim on high settings, it works perfectly fine. Can also run Crysis on high, which is still one of the best looking games of this generation.

Your PC costs twice what the most expensive model of 360 cost 7 years ago when it launched.

Build me a PC using only tech from seven years ago, at the prices they would have cost you seven years ago. Spend only €325.

Now make it run Skyrim.

I think you're forgetting the fact that on top of having cheaper games and being technically better in every way to its console brethren, it's also a fucking computer. If I hadn't spent the extra money on the graphics card and a fancier CPU it would have been about €400-500 so when you think about it, I only spent about €150-300 on my above average gaming rig.

Im sorry but Im gonna talk in USD for a moment because i dont know the exhange. So PC games on average are about $10 less than their console counterparts (assuming you arent talking about Wii games.) If the average gamer buys 10 high profile titles like Skyrim a year the PC gamer has saved about $100 a year.

Last I checked a high quality PC costs anywhere from $2000-3000 especially if you don't have the know how to build one on your own.

In 2005 The Xbox launched, and you could buy a core system for $300

In 2005 you buy a $1000 PC and buy a $300 Xbox. Seven years later you have saved $700 in cheaper PC games, HOWEVER there is no chance in hell that after 7 years with no upgrading, that your PC is going to run games properly with today's System requirements. My Xbox however is still providing a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience.

I understand that PC gamers get more freedom to play, but to say its cheaper is just ridiculous.

The Hungry Samurai:

mrc390:

The Hungry Samurai:

Your PC costs twice what the most expensive model of 360 cost 7 years ago when it launched.

Build me a PC using only tech from seven years ago, at the prices they would have cost you seven years ago. Spend only €325.

Now make it run Skyrim.

I think you're forgetting the fact that on top of having cheaper games and being technically better in every way to its console brethren, it's also a fucking computer. If I hadn't spent the extra money on the graphics card and a fancier CPU it would have been about €400-500 so when you think about it, I only spent about €150-300 on my above average gaming rig.

Im sorry but Im gonna talk in USD for a moment because i dont know the exhange. So PC games on average are about $10 less than their console counterparts (assuming you arent talking about Wii games.) If the average gamer buys 10 high profile titles like Skyrim a year the PC gamer has saved about $100 a year.

Last I checked a high quality PC costs anywhere from $2000-3000 especially if you don't have the know how to build one on your own.

In 2005 The Xbox launched, and you could buy a core system for $300

In 2005 you buy a $1000 PC and buy a $300 Xbox. Seven years later you have saved $700 in cheaper PC games, HOWEVER there is no chance in hell that after 7 years with no upgrading, that your PC is going to run games properly with today's System requirements. My Xbox however is still providing a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience.

I understand that PC gamers get more freedom to play, but to say its cheaper is just ridiculous.

that comparison doesn't hold up though, since you can't compare a high end pc (and 2000-3000 usd is less "high and" and more "badshitting insanity" already btw) to the weaponized toasters that are consoles.

a six-seven year old pc will still run nowadays games. of course with graphics cranked way down and looking like crap. i.e., on xbox level. most games nowaday on consoles run on what is usually minimum settings in the pc version.

if you bought a pc in the 300-400 euro range when the xbox launched, you had a machine that could easily outperform it.
that was true in the beginning of it's life cycle already.(the GPU they are going to put in the new xbox was already just middle class a year back when it came out. in another year and half when it will be in the launched 720, it will be easily outperformed even by the cheapest pc's)
now later in a consoles life cycle this becomes more and more true. after a year or two you can already assemble a PC for the price of the console with many times it's power. current low-budged pc's for the price of a new retail xbox are about 10 or so times as fast.

the lack of know-how doesn't fly either, everyone who can read a web page and plug a square shaped thingie in a square shaped hole can do it. hell, i assembled my first pc without major issue when i was completely drunk (not even kidding, long story xD ) without any prior technical knowledge or help. it's THAT easy.

Kathinka:

a six-seven year old pc will still run nowadays games. of course with graphics cranked way down and looking like crap. i.e., on xbox level. most games nowaday on consoles run on what is usually minimum settings in the pc version.

No...no they won't. Mine is only 4 years old and despite updating a lot of stuff it won't run most games. The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000). Telling me that a 7 year old one would fair better is just ridiculous. At the end of the day my Xbox 360 will still play an Xbox360 game regardless of when that game came out. I can't say the same for PC games.

Also aside from price there are other advantages of consoles. We don't have to put up with online only games. The fiasco that is Diablo 3 wouldn't happen on consoles.

DRM? Pfft no, the game has to work on the consoles so adding other crap to prevent that won't fly. They might add additional content for 1st hand sales or limit multiplayer to online only, but that's it really (though granted that can be a big thing if multiplayer is the game's main selling point, but there are plenty of games where it isn't).

What about not having to put up with shitty EULA's? Have you read Steam or Origin's EULA's? You would have thought we lost some kind of war with the crap they throw in. Because console games have to work as physical games they aren't able to do crap like that anywhere near as easily. However online games can easily be sold as "services" rather than a product, which allows for these kind of exploits.

Valdus:

The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000).

Wait, what? You are doing something horribly wrong if you think it'll cost you thousands of pounds to upgrade. Hell, building a PC from scratch to run current games shouldn't have to cost that much.

Static Jak:

Valdus:

The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000).

Wait, what? You are doing something horribly wrong if you think it'll cost you thousands of pounds to upgrade. Hell, building a PC from scratch to run current games shouldn't have to cost that much.

100% correct! Where the hell are people getting this BS from that a decent gaming system is $1000 or over it. Also the exhange rate is 1-1 when it comes to commodities like pc electronics.
As a GPU in the states costing $450 will cost you £450 here.

I've posted this before but here it is again

The rest of that system's specs

System Specification
- Case: Antec 300 Gaming Case (default choice, options available)
- Power Supply: OCZ ZS 650w PSU
- CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-4 Quad Core 4100 3.60GHz Processor
- Motherboard: AMD 760G Chipset (AM3+) Motherboard
- RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
- Hard Drives: 1TB HDD
- Graphics Card: AMD 760G Onboard + AMD HD 6850 OC 1GB
- Sound: 7.1 Channel Sound (On-Board)
- Optical Drive: OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black)
- CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler

Or for an extra £97 you can get an AMD HD 6970 OC 2GB card.
Even with that Upgrade its only £683.95 INC VAT (Currently on Special.)

Well under 1000 and it'll play any game out there at 1080P resolution.

I've watched the whole video now, but I am certain that despite Jim's utter brilliance and godlike oratory skills, there will still be wretched infidels who will insist on perpetuating their filthy lies and misinformation, like how you can't get viruses on a MAC, or have your Credit-Card stolen on a console ...because you have to enter it using an on-screen keyboard like in one of those old-school RPG's where you entered your hero's name.
Because, you know, hackers can't just read it off the database ...unless it's in F*CKING plaintext.

Yes, operating a PC is slightly more difficult than just playing on a console ...what with interminable install-times, serial-keys to enter, zero-day content updates and bug-fixes to download ...oh. What's that? Consoles have all those things too? AND you don't have a mouse and keyboard to help enter those keys?

I rest my case.

If there's one thing I hate more that humanity itself, it the PC elitist douchnozzels who feel the need to trumpet their imagined superiority over everyone else.

PCs were in a rut until game consoles started inheriting all the worst aspects of PC gaming: install times, zero hour patches, etc.

I used to be a PC gamer, playing such classics as Starlancer and Tachyon: The Fringe on the old junker of a rig my father gave to us youngins'. And you know what? I never want to go back to those days.

Do you want to know why? Two words: System Requirements. With consoles, I know for a fact that if I pop a game into that slot, it's going to work. Every. Time.

I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year, I don't have to fuck around with the settings just to get the damn thing to work, I don't have to worry about the game suddenly not working because of some bullshit copy protection, and I can rent any game I want through GameFly, which has saved me untold amounst of cash.

SonOfVoorhees:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.

and of course that is why The Binding of Isaac, Minecraft, Terraria, World of Goo, and all of the like are all so VERY popular on the consoles, while no real pc gamer would ever bother with such ugly things. Clearly PC gamers are far too obsessed with graphics,

Valdus:

Kathinka:

No...no they won't. Mine is only 4 years old and despite updating a lot of stuff it won't run most games. The updates needed to make it run more games would cost me thousands of pounds (not dollars, so when I say thousands I'm talking a fair bit more than $1000). Telling me that a 7 year old one would fair better is just ridiculous. At the end of the day my Xbox 360 will still play an Xbox360 game regardless of when that game came out. I can't say the same for PC games.

Also aside from price there are other advantages of consoles. We don't have to put up with online only games. The fiasco that is Diablo 3 wouldn't happen on consoles.

DRM? Pfft no, the game has to work on the consoles so adding other crap to prevent that won't fly. They might add additional content for 1st hand sales or limit multiplayer to online only, but that's it really (though granted that can be a big thing if multiplayer is the game's main selling point, but there are plenty of games where it isn't).

What about not having to put up with shitty EULA's? Have you read Steam or Origin's EULA's? You would have thought we lost some kind of war with the crap they throw in. Because console games have to work as physical games they aren't able to do crap like that anywhere near as easily. However online games can easily be sold as "services" rather than a product, which allows for these kind of exploits.

well, my friend built her pc six years ago with a budged of 400 euro, and she is playing skyrim and battlefield 3 with me, so i don't know what you did wrong. she doesn't even have to put settings in bf3 on minimum. and if you need 1000s of pounds to update your system, then your retailer is ripping you off. you can make a dop of the line system for less. so sorry if i don't take your pc-knowledge very serious.

i agree with the shitty drm and the other stuff. it isn't such a big deal for me personally since in my there is no legal problem with simply applying a fix to that. i do that with pretty much every game with annoying drm, especially that ubisoft bullshit and such.

similar thing about EULAs, outside of the u.s. they mean pretty much jackshit, legally.

They are still easier to use and more convenient; I really don't see the point of this video at all. They attract children and a lot of other bad mannered people leaving a nicer environment on the PC. Now of course there are still a lot that get through but it's better than it would be if they didn't exist.

Kathinka:

well, my friend built her pc six years ago with a budged of 400 euro, and she is playing skyrim and battlefield 3 with me, so i don't know what you did wrong. she doesn't even have to put settings in bf3 on minimum. and if you need 1000s of pounds to update your system, then your retailer is ripping you off. you can make a dop of the line system for less. so sorry if i don't take your pc-knowledge very serious.

i agree with the shitty drm and the other stuff. it isn't such a big deal for me personally since in my there is no legal problem with simply applying a fix to that. i do that with pretty much every game with annoying drm, especially that ubisoft bullshit and such.

similar thing about EULAs, outside of the u.s. they mean pretty much jackshit, legally.

The vast majority of PC's from 7 years ago had single core processors which can't even start a lot of games today like Dawn of War 2.

Phoenixlight:
They are still easier to use and more convenient; I really don't see the point of this video at all. They attract children and a lot of other bad mannered people leaving a nicer environment on the PC. Now of course there are still a lot that get through but it's better than it would be if they didn't exist.

Kathinka:

The vast majority of PC's from 7 years ago had single core processors which can't even start a lot of games today like Dawn of War 2.

Dawn of war 2 easily runs on a single core CPU. Today you can run ANY game on the market with a 2.4GHZ dual core CPU.

Well, I bought a High End PC right before the xbox launched. It cost well over 2k $ and was obsolete in a year. Then I bought a console and never looked back.

One thing console fanboys don't seem to realize, is that times have really changed, and you're no longer required to pay such large amounts of money. Just last year I bought a ~600-700$ PC(and it's actually pretty overpriced where I live, the Xbox cost around 500$), pre-built and it was cheaper than the sum of its parts. It plays everything on high without the framerate going lower than 40fps (although I have to admit that I don't have a 1080p monitor, just 1680x1050.

Sure it's expensive, but you NEED a PC in this day and age. Adding two hundred bucks to your existing one is the same as buying a console, except in the end, it's cheaper. System requirements aren't that harsh either. I spent more on videogames in 2011 than on a gaming PC.
My friend bought a 300$ prebuilt and it was also fine. He has no problems whatsoever with Skyrim etc.

Edit: I actually didn't expect my PC to even be a gameworthy rig. I just took the cheapest 'gaming' labelled PC, showed it to my friend if it will run Starcraft 2 and LoL.

It did.

Phoenixlight:

Kathinka:

and dawn of war isn't a console game either, it's a pc exclusive and hence it makes sense that it takes a bit more to run

Machine Man 1992:

I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year

Ugh...does anyone actually believe this crap? Even when told countless times and even shown that it isn't true, people still spread this bull.

Really, while we're at it, PS3 has no games, 360 dies of RROD within days and there are no such thing as girl gamers...

For me the main benefit to consoles was system link and split screen. Most console multiplayer games don't have this option anymore, or at least it's reduced.

SonOfVoorhees:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.

I don't buy good tech just to get better graphics. I buy it to get smoother framerates and load times so the game is more enjoyable. Once you go 60 fps, you never go back.

I think by now many people have quoted you to comment on your BS so I'll just keep it short. I love great graphics, but gameplay always comes first. I feel PC offers me the best gameplay because I can choose which form of input I will use, and the smooth framerate actually makes the game easier to control. Advanced tech offers more than fancy visuals alone.

If PC gamers cared more about graphics than the the actual game, then Minecraft wouldn't be one of the most popular games this generation.

Static Jak:

Machine Man 1992:

I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year

Ugh...does anyone actually believe this crap? Even when told countless times and even shown that it isn't true, people still spread this bull.

Yes. It is true. I've seen it. It's cheaper to stick to consoles. you're the one spreading misinformation.

Captcha: pay the ferryman. My computer wants me dead.

Machine Man 1992:
If there's one thing I hate more that humanity itself, it the PC elitist douchnozzels who feel the need to trumpet their imagined superiority over everyone else.

PCs were in a rut until game consoles started inheriting all the worst aspects of PC gaming: install times, zero hour patches, etc.

I used to be a PC gamer, playing such classics as Starlancer and Tachyon: The Fringe on the old junker of a rig my father gave to us youngins'. And you know what? I never want to go back to those days.

Do you want to know why? Two words: System Requirements. With consoles, I know for a fact that if I pop a game into that slot, it's going to work. Every. Time.

I don't have to spend a thousand dollars to buy a gaming rig that's going to be obsolete in a year, I don't have to fuck around with the settings just to get the damn thing to work, I don't have to worry about the game suddenly not working because of some bullshit copy protection, and I can rent any game I want through GameFly, which has saved me untold amounst of cash.

Can you explain to me how you believe PC was in a rut... it doesn't make any sense to me considering how we've had steady graphical improvement solid exclusives and the Steam come since this console generation began

Machine Man 1992:

Static Jak:

Machine Man 1992:

Yes. It is true. I've seen it. It's cheaper to stick to consoles. you're the one spreading misinformation.

Many people have posted possible builds and specs that prove you wrong, while you provide nothing. While yes, the people purporting $200 gaming PCs lied, the others spoke the truth with facts and you back up your argument with nothing

I don't know how to quote 2 people properly, as I'm relatively new to this forum, but heres specs posted on the same page that prove you wrong
System Specification

I give up. The PC elitists here are delusional if they really think they could have bought a PC 7 years ago for less than $1000 that will run Skyrim as good as a 360.

Yes I get it, I can buy a gaming rig that plays everything high quality for 600 dollars.....for the next 2-3 years. Its never going to be cheaper.

There is no superior gaming medium. It's a cycle. The console launches and for awhile it's innovative and high powered, they get old and the constantly updating tech of PC's overtake them, then a new gen of consoles comes out and provides another set of high end features at a low cost for PC's to catch up to and overtake again.

Watch a few years from now all this hubris is going to be replaced with envy at the specs of the next gen. (Wii U doesn't count. Nintendo seems to think they can just stop trying and collect checks. They may be right)

The Hungry Samurai:
I give up. The PC elitists here are delusional if they really think they could have bought a PC 7 years ago for less than $1000 that will run Skyrim as good as a 360.

Yes I get it, I can buy a gaming rig that plays everything high quality for 600 dollars.....for the next 2-3 years. Its never going to be cheaper.

There is no superior gaming medium. It's a cycle. The console launches and for awhile it's innovative and high powered, they get old and the constantly updating tech of PC's overtake them, then a new gen of consoles comes out and provides another set of high end features at a low cost for PC's to catch up to and overtake again.

Watch a few years from now all this hubris is going to be replaced with envy at the specs of the next gen. (Wii U doesn't count. Nintendo seems to think they can just stop trying and collect checks. They may be right)

I don't think so considering xbox will be rumored to be using the HD 6670 which is an entry level card for about 75 dollars that can't produce anything near some of the medium class rigs of today. Console Graphics, unless they become upgradable, will never rival PC because even at the start of a new generation as they are based off of weak graphics cards. If the next generation costs $600 dollars at the beginning (The cost of the PS3 at launch) it can be bested by a PC for little more than $200 dollars more. See link

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_2000/

And that PC may come down in price by next year due to the components being surpassed. (And steam sales vs. $60 boxed releases will eventually make up the difference)

clippen05:

The Hungry Samurai:

I don't think so considering xbox will be rumored to be using the HD 6670 which is an entry level card for about 75 dollars that can't produce anything near some of the medium class rigs of today. Console Graphics, unless they become upgradable, will never rival PC because even at the start of a new generation as they are based off of weak graphics cards. If the next generation costs $600 dollars at the beginning (The cost of the PS3 at launch) it can be bested by a PC for little more than $200 dollars more. See link

And that PC may come down in price by next year due to the components being surpassed. (And steam sales vs. $60 boxed releases will eventually make up the difference)

The key word here is rumored. Even if the next console isn't graphically amazing, there are still many other places that it can innovate that PC's can't.

For example, think about what consoles can do with controllers. Things like the Wii controller and even subtle things such as the Six Axis motion control or vibration in controllers would have never came to gaming, because developers will never find making games utilizing these features profitable, without those features being standard.

If the Next gen of consoles takes things like the Kinects motion controls and touchscreen technology and makes them standard input methods, it will open up a whole new set of experiences for casual and hardcore gamer alike, and that's something the hyper customizable PC gaming world just can't make happen.

Until about two months later when they take the tech, hack it and mod it into their PC's

Stop trying to say PC or console gaming is superior and just accept their symbiotic nature and get over it.

The Hungry Samurai:

clippen05:

The Hungry Samurai:

The key word here is rumored. Even if the next console isn't graphically amazing, there are still many other places that it can innovate that PC's can't.

For example, think about what consoles can do with controllers. Things like the Wii controller and even subtle things such as the Six Axis motion control or vibration in controllers would have never came to gaming, because developers will never find making games utilizing these features profitable, without those features being standard.

If the Next gen of consoles takes things like the Kinects motion controls and touchscreen technology and makes them standard input methods, it will open up a whole new set of experiences for casual and hardcore gamer alike, and that's something the hyper customizable PC gaming world just can't make happen.

Until about two months later when they take the tech, hack it and mod it into their PC's

Stop trying to say PC or console gaming is superior and just accept their symbiotic nature and get over it.

Oh wait, the same stuff is developed for PC without need for console investment

http://live.leapmotion.com/about/

Touchscreen technology... Windows 8

If anything, console gaming is a parasite, not a symbiotic relationship as developers will make their games graphics for the lowest common denominator: Consoles, and then port it to PC; we get worse things because of consoles outdatedness.

munx13:

Dawn of war 2 easily runs on a single core CPU. Today you can run ANY game on the market with a 2.4GHZ dual core CPU.

I've tried it before and it wouldn't even run and after looking into it I found that single core CPU's are not supported so no it can't easily run on a piece of shit CPU. Just like other modern games (BF3 for example) single core CPUs won't do. Also you won't be able to run a lot of games very well if at all on crappy dual core CPUs.

Machine Man 1992:

Static Jak:

Machine Man 1992:

Yes. It is true. I've seen it.

No it isn't, you're just spreading crap.
If you were ever an actual PC gamer you'd know full well a PC, especially one as overpriced as over a thousand dollars, would not be outdated in a year. It's beyond ignorant to ever believe something like that.

Like I said, just another stereotype just like how we had the whole RROD exaggeration, PS3 has no games and so on.

Btw, I'm a console gamer too. Gamertag is Static Jak, PSN is Static-Jakz and Steam is Static Jak. Along with a Wii, DS and have been gaming on consoles as far back as the NES.
I'm just a gamer who happens to enjoy all platforms and would rather nonsense about any platform not be spread around like it's the truth.

I think that the next generation of consoles might just be the last generation of real gaming consoles. The sorta casual (relatively) console gaming market is going to bleed into the tablet, media-orientated style of consuming games and media. It seems like Microsoft is already going for this sorta family, media box approach with their next console.

I can imagine in a nearby feature, most gamers will just carry a powerful tablet with most of their games on it, get home, plug it into their full HD TV and play using the tablet as a controller.

I don't think PC gaming is going to be affected by this trend though, because the PC community consists of people who want to be able to tune, upgrade and customize their hardware to reach this sorta enthusiast, perfect gaming experience, and the tablet industry is not going to interest them when it comes to hardcore gaming.

No, the tablet gaming trend is going to speak to the people that today owns a Xbox, PS3 or a Wii. The kind of gamer that just wants a cheap, easy to play alternative.

The Hungry Samurai:

I don't think so. The reason the 360/PS3 can run games like Skyrim is because millions of dollars is poured into optimizing them for that specific system and cutting as much as possible to make it just about run. If you actually saw what the PS3/360 was running on a monitor it would look pretty appalling. There has been 6 years for these developers to get used to the specific hardware of a console and this is the only reason these games are possible

Not to mention they are locked at 30FPS (with dips as low as 20FPS). If you spent a few weeks modifying skyrim and tinkering with its settings a bet you could get it to run at 720p (a very modest resolution when compared to monitors even from 2006) on an 8800GTX and early core 2 processor (i.e. a 2006 build)

Now PC optimizing is not a priority for most companies and quite hard for a PC system because of the diversity of hardware and background software and so it takes more beefy hardware to run it. There is no lock-down of hardware and therefore no reason to cut to the bone on a locked-down graphical level.

If and when a new console does launch We will see titles akin to those launch titles from the 360/PS3. Remember how the original Resistance looked? Or Perfect Dark Zero? It took years before we saw games like Uncharted on consoles. The last generation of consoles NEVER looked better than the PC.

clippen05:

The Hungry Samurai:

clippen05:

If anything, console gaming is a parasite, not a symbiotic relationship as developers will make their games graphics for the lowest common denominator: Consoles, and then port it to PC; we get worse things because of consoles outdatedness.

The examples you provide only prove my point. No one would take something like touchscreens or motion controls seriously until they were put in an environment where users were forced to use them and developers were forced to make games for them, namely the Ninendo DS and WIi. Consoles make these things acceptable and popular innovations, and THEN PC developers start to put out ample amounts of software to make owning this tech worh it on other devices.

Yes PC's are superior graphically. For the thousandth time I get that. Honestly though I have 20/20 vision 1080 HD TV and I really can't tell much more of a difference at this point. Consoles are great, PC's are better but unless theyre coming out of the TV and firing live ammo all over my living room, I really don't give a crap if you have a few more digital blades of grass on your PC screen.

The Hungry Samurai:

clippen05:

The Hungry Samurai:

The examples you provide only prove my point. No one would take something like touchscreens or motion controls seriously until they were put in an environment where users were forced to use them and developers were forced to make games for them, namely the Ninendo DS and WIi. Consoles make these things acceptable and popular innovations, and THEN PC developers start to put out ample amounts of software to make owning this tech worh it on other devices.

Yes PC's are superior graphically. For the thousandth time I get that. Honestly though I have 20/20 vision 1080 HD TV and I really can't tell much more of a difference at this point. Consoles are great, PC's are better but unless theyre coming out of the TV and firing live ammo all over my living room, I really don't give a crap if you have a few more digital blades of grass on your PC screen.

it's not just graphics though. gameplay and content for games are castrated left and right to make things run somehow on consoles. like the insane destructrion and the good netcode that were both taken out of bf3 in order to make it runnable on consoles.

clippen05:

Machine Man 1992:

Can you explain to me how you believe PC was in a rut... it doesn't make any sense to me considering how we've had steady graphical improvement solid exclusives and the Steam come since this console generation began

There was this time a while back, around 2005-2006 I think, where having a PC just seemed like more trouble than it's worth.

Maybe it was because console games got more heavily advertised, or publishers believed that the PC was a dead-end platform, or the DRM was at its obnoxiousness critical mass, but whatever the case, the PC was struggling.

I can't really blame them; outside of genres that absolutely require the fine motor control a mouse provides, such as the venerable RTS and 4X genres, consoles can do just as well as PC's do on the FPS, 3PS, and hack n' slasher.

clippen05:

Machine Man 1992:

Static Jak:

Many people have posted possible builds and specs that prove you wrong, while you provide nothing. While yes, the people purporting $200 gaming PCs lied, the others spoke the truth with facts and you back up your argument with nothing

I don't know how to quote 2 people properly, as I'm relatively new to this forum, but heres specs posted on the same page that prove you wrong
System Specification

Xbox 360 (at the time I bought it): $300
Extra controller: $60
One year of Xbox Live Gold: $60
Saving time, money, and frustration Minmaxing PC parts with word-salad titles and never one having the 360 Red Ring on you: Priceless

Yeah, really not seeing any advantage here.

xorinite:
its big retailers who just want to sell you junk that goes obsolete in a couple of years.

I take offense to this statement.
Most computing equipment SHOULD, by moore's law, be obsolete in a couple of years anyway.

Machine Man 1992:

clippen05:

Machine Man 1992:

System Specification

Saving time, money, and frustration Minmaxing PC parts with word-salad titles and never one having the 360 Red Ring on you: Priceless

This argument is disingenuous. A console can scarcely do anything else besides play games while a computer is a tool that can also play games so of course it's going to be more expensive. Add in a cheap computer to that console so that you can do all the things a computer does and the price is much more even.

Also, why is it only one year of Xbox live added in?

porous_shield:

Machine Man 1992:

clippen05:

System Specification

This argument is disingenuous. A console can scarcely do anything else besides play games while a computer is a tool that can also play games so of course it's going to be more expensive. Add in a cheap computer to that console so that you can do all the things a computer does and the price is much more even.

Also, why is it only one year of Xbox live added in?

First off, I already have an iMac that I use to surf the net and trade blows on web forums. It would be a colossal waste of time and money to get rid of it in exchange for a slightly better better PC capable of running games that I can already play on my 360.

Second, I don't usually play online because people are assholes and I suck at competitive multiplayer, and buying a year's worth of Live time instead of monthly increments is more convenient and doesn't require a I use a quite hackable credit card.

Well lets compare costs. Since that seems to be the only issue Jim skimped on. XBOX 360 Now = ~$200. Let's ignore controllers, because if you really want them you can buy the exact same thing so you can use a controller on a PC. Good Gaming PC Quoted = ~$600. 6 years ago (when we bought ours, lol), the cost was $300. I'm going to assume gaming PC stayed the same, even though it didn't. That still means at least a $300 difference between the two. Consoles are still, and as far as I can tell have always been, cheaper. A big factor for those without rich parents, lucrative online shows, or better than shit tier jobs.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here