Jimquisition: Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

VeneratedWulfen93:
I don't argue anymore. I love my console, simple. If I could game on a PC then I would but I just can't be bothered. Xbox 360 has my favourite exclusives and I love RPGs which i prefer on consoles. Probably the main reason is the fact that no one I know plays PC, all my friends are on 360. I knew one person who converted to PC. He stopped talking to everyone and I never saw him since. PCs are better though, just can't be bothered or end up leaving my friends.

I'm a die-hard pc user, but this post makes sense.

Stick with your friends + games you like.

It's a good video but the thing is...I think it's a couple of years late. I noticed this back in 2008/2009 when I went from the Xbox 360 to the PS3. I remember being able to pop in Xbox360 games and go from there but setting up my PS3, I remember having a lot of down time waiting for all of the system updates and, for my games to install. I couldn't skip anything either and each game took between 10 to 25 minutes to properly install on the hard drive. It was like that for every single PS3 game I got too which really annoyed the Hell out of me and ultimately drove me away from the system. I don't encounter this so much with the Xbox 360 but the lack of free online multiplayer is very noticeable and, annoying and, stupid but I haven't really wanted to play a game online in a long while anyway. The problem comes from the fact that a lot of Xbox 360 games which do trumpet their multiplayer from the tops of every rooftop have very limited (if any) split-screen multiplayer options. Also the lack of bot matches this generation is something not even worth mentioning at this point...stupid current generation of games, driving me back to games from last gen.

He's right. Let's burn all our consoles and stick to the PC. Everyone pinkie promise!!

Know all those viruses/adware you can get that really fuck up your console?
There's no "better" way to play games. And it's fucking stupid that people seem to feel there's a way people should be playing.

For me, I just enjoy the community on PS3 more. Xbox is full of teens that just yell and scream about noobs and racial slurs, and the PC community is full of elitist snobs that hate people who are new to playing games or assholes just looking for exploits to help them win. Played Hero Attack on SC2 alot before I got D3, and the level of contempt for those who just started was ridiculous. There was no aid, no help offered, no hints. Just GTFO, noob. And it's been that way for a long time. PS3 network? No one cares. There's some good-natured ribbing. Sometimes you get someone angry. But most of the time, people are really just there to play the game.

Although I do miss trolling people on XBL whenever I was playing coop with my buddy.

Because Ps3's and Xbox 360's also have games with always on DRM systems for offline games. Yessiree, that sort of DRM is just chock full on the consoles.

Yeah, no. You refuse to acknowledge the PC's inherent flaws, instead living in a fantasy world where the PC doesn't have any of those gaping flaws like DRM, compatability issues or a need to upgrade constantly among others.

Scrumpmonkey:

The Almighty Aardvark:

And everyone who owns a console is going to be able to find a PC at even a fraction of that value? Just a year ago I spent a couple of weeks looking on Newegg for a computer that could run most PC games and I could not find one that could run a Skyrim level game on lower settings for under $1200. Which, including warranty, taxes and everything else probably costs at least $1400. And that's on LOWER settings.

gphjr14:
If it wasn't for the cost of constantly upgrading the hardware I'd be more inclined to use my PC for gaming.

Terminate421:
So now you bought a game you cannot use unless you spend more money to UPGRADE the PC.

ಠ_ಠ not this myth again. Seriously folks. This shit gets OLD. I can run Skyrim on custom high (some settings tweaked/modded) on a PC from early 2009 that cost me 600. Not being able to find something for under $1500 (1000) is just pain baffling.

I could knock you up a system for 300-400 that would beat the pants of Skyrim on med/high. Infact Scan (UK supplier but still an example) is selling a system that has 100% of bits you would need (including HDDs, Disk Drives etc etc) for 500 that is actually very high end. So if you bought a 100 GPU that's a full high end system for 600. That took me all of 30 seconds.

I'm starting to think PCs are cheaper in the UK because my comp is just over a year old and set me back just over a thousand USD (not counting the HD that failed after a year and needed to be replaced, a decent mouse ect.) but is a piece of garbage that cant manage medium settings on anything nice looking.

Yeah, I have to agree with this video's premise as well. And this coming from a guy who isn't a PC gamer (I have 1000+ hours of TF2 logged...on my Mac). I will buy/build a gaming rig over buying a console in the coming years because of this. The convenience factor has been obliterated. The cost of the new consoles will likely be in the ballpark of what a moderately good gaming PC will cost.

I see just one advantage for consoles nowadays, really: The used market. And that advantage is negated or severely mitigated by the better prices and extreme sales.

Oh...and motion controls...I guess. If you're into that.

And think of some of the advantages people tend to overlook: Namely, the staggeringly colossal back catalog of games. People think of the PC for intense graphics. I think of it as a library of great games throughout all the years.

SonOfVoorhees:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Boom. I win. Great PC game with meh graphics.

I disagree with that statement, you can say it's easy to just hook a PC into the TV and play it like that, but that's still not easy or accessible. I have no idea what kind of wiring is required or how to do it (I'm technologically inept, I admit it, and so are a lot of gamers) and I also have no idea what kind of controller works for PC or how it works. It's just way simpler with a console. Besides, a stationary PC would take up half my apartment so even if I wanted a gaming rig, I still can't fit one where I live (I'm writing this on a laptop).

Great episode, great points, but should be worth pointing out that if you're the kind of person who is overwhelmed by PCs and PC gaming, and just wants to spend $200 on a machine that plugs into a TV and that's the end of it, you have every right and are completely justified in doing it. The "consoles are bad PCs" argument only works on purely objective merits; once you mix in personal, subjective opinion and circumstance, the whole thing falls apart slightly.

trollpwner:
Well, might as well add something to kick off the inevitable shit-storm.

*ahem*

P.C. gamers, could you please note that consoles are bad now, not because of weak processing or worse controls, but because of how they are being used by publishers. Therefore, they are not inherently evil and wrong, as some elitist minority jerks seem to insist.

They are inherently old though. GO GO GADGET WII U!

I'm a PC gamer not because I have a lot of money, but because I don't. 12 years ago I bought DVD-ROM, and moved my PC to living room cause it was cheaper then buying DVD player (region free was a bonus), and I never looked back since. Whatever new technology was pushed out afterwards, it was always cheaper to upgrade then to buy new gadget. DTS, 5.1 speakers, Blu-ray, and especially AAA games would have been out of my reach if it weren't for good old PC. I didn't have 425GBP for PS3 when it launched (although I did buy one a couple of years ago for my son), but I did have 150GBP for new processor, RAM, and graphics card that would put my PC way out of reach of the Spider-man branded usurper...
Right now we have a decent PC, with wireless keyboard, mouse, XBOX controllers hooked to a 51" TV and 7.1 speakers delivering an all round entertainment experience that would otherwise cost thousands of pounds.

P.S. also this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introducing-the-digital-foundry-pc

Everyone knows PCs are better in every conceivable way, it's just some people are willing to tolerate dealing with the bullshit that consoles are starting to come with for the perceived notion of convenience.

They think console = easy because that's how it's always been. They don't know any better, or are basing their assumption of PCs = convoluted and difficult on experiences from years ago or from shoddy hardware some store clerk told them was a "Great deal!".

I can understand not wanting to take a perceived risk of something infinitely better when chances usually come with a pretty high price tag of a couple hundred dollars.

That's exactly why I sold my Xbox 360, only a year after a friend sold it to me at a bargain, I was beginning to think, a few months later, "Uhhmmm... the graphics suck, the thing is maddeningly noisy (old model without installing to HDD), I'm not even slightly impressed by Xbox Live, it's a fucking pain in the ass to even use Messenger with the controller, the "play your own music in game" service is a bad joke and I just can't do anything that I already had on the PC, why should I keep this piece of shit?... well... there's Halo... and Gears of War... and expensive XBLA games...".

IMHO, a console is just not worth it, it's just a shitty PC and the games are so freaking expensive (seriously, any new game here costs like $71 US dollars, even freaking Mario Galaxy 2), I only had like 16 games on the Xbox (8 in disc, 8 XBLA), against 300+ PC games... and growing.

Yes, a PC is expensive and sometimes it's a pain to get some games to run, old & new, but I just think that it's completely worth it, also I definitely can afford it's much lower prices in games, also, I don't get to pay for shitty services like Xbox Live.

And yes, I love to play PC games (especially Skyrim) with a wireless Xbox 360 controller, connected to an HDTV and me sitting on a couch.

Oh yeah, i can connect controllers to my laptop, except most of them are pieces of crap, with shitty d-pads, that becomes more shittier after 1 month of using it. Of course theres always that driver for PS3 controllers i can use, but most of the games wont recognize it.
So yeah, PCs are pretty crappy consoles. So i just use it for whatever genres its good at and, while i just stick to other genres on consoles.
Also, i cant play any console exclusives on PCs can i? Ofc this goes the other way as well, which means the whole point of this video was to create a flamewar again.

Monxeroth:
Im kind of late to the party, is the consolefag shitstorm here yet?

Totally not flame-bait

OT: I'd like to be a PC gamer but I lack the sufficient funds to be one. You could say to me "But you can buy one that runs games very cheap" but I'm one of those people that would say "If I can't run every game on ultra mega supreme settings what's the point?". I must have all the power.

SonOfVoorhees:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....these things are not important. Making the graphics better with a mod dont make the game better. The game is what it is, the story etc can not be changed. Each to their own i guess. Just buy the games you love to play and you will be fine.

you are wrong there mate. ^^ some people do care about the graphics, but far from all. why do you think minecraft sold that well? why do you think most multiplayer games for pc still have players playing them? Also you were complaining about mods, now take a look at minecraft again.. have you seen the mods for that on the pc? have you taken a look at the new and popular mod for arma II dayz? i don't think the people playing dayz give a shit about the graphic.

Also "gaming" pcs are a lot cheaper now than they used to be since consoles are holding back graphics. ^^

Plutar:

Jim Sterling:
Xbox 360 and PS3 Are Just Very Crap PCs

They were cheaper, easier to use, more convenient.

Last I checked, consoles were still cheaper than gaming PC's.

Not really.

If you actually mean a dedicated gaming PC, then yeah, that's much more expensive than a console, but if you're talking about a PC that came play games at the same level that consoles can, then you can get a PC like that for around $400. Hell, the PC I have right now is a $650 laptop, and it can play Metro 2033 and Crysis on high settings.

Consoles might be a bit more affordable than PCs now, but not by much, and especially not if you consider how much extra you're spending on console games vs. PC games.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but another reason I'm delaying getting a gaming rig (aside from not knowing enough/being poor) is being able to move it. I go to college fairly far away from where I live, and moving a gaming rig just doesn't seem as feasible as throwing my xbox in an old laptop bag.

Just throwing that out there. Consoles are still smaller.

The Rainmaker:
I disagree with that statement, you can say it's easy to just hook a PC into the TV and play it like that, but that's still not easy or accessible. I have no idea what kind of wiring is required or how to do it (I'm technologically inept, I admit it, and so are a lot of gamers) and I also have no idea what kind of controller works for PC or how it works. It's just way simpler with a console. Besides, a stationary PC would take up half my apartment so even if I wanted a gaming rig, I still can't fit one where I live (I'm writing this on a laptop).

There's a normal cable that you plug into your monitor. There are ports for this type of cable in most HDTV's nowadays so you use that. And most new PC games are compatible with xbox360 controllers. If you have a wired one you just plug it into USB. If it's wireless you can buy an adapter. Easy peasy

ZeZZZZevy:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but another reason I'm delaying getting a gaming rig (aside from not knowing enough/being poor) is being able to move it. I go to college fairly far away from where I live, and moving a gaming rig just doesn't seem as feasible as throwing my xbox in an old laptop bag.

If you're a true gamer you drive your baby all the way! Jk I know what you mean. My school is 2-3000 miles away from my permanent address. I have a gaming rig for my breaks, and I don't regret buying it one bit. All the video editing I wish I could do on my laptop I can do while on breaks. Same with getting off to insane graphics. It works out pretty well actually, since I think I'd flunk out of school if I had my gaming rig with me

GAunderrated:

Not G. Ivingname:
There is ONE benefit to gaming on consoles.

ONE and ONE alone.

Consoles are cheaper.

Oh, the games aren't for sure, but consoles now are very cheap, it isn't hard to find a 360 that costs less than $100, while you will be hard press to find any computer that will play modern games at all for anything less than $400.

Besides that... yeah, nothing wrong with being a PC gamer. :)

Only on the hardware are consoles cheaper. But after you buy a 200 dollar console and several games through the years you will easily pay 50% more with a console than on a PC with steam sales.

True.

Not to mention we are also got a lot of free-to-play games, some of them even are good. :P

the doom cannon:

ZeZZZZevy:

If you're a true gamer you drive your baby all the way! Jk I know what you mean. My school is 2-3000 miles away from my permanent address. I have a gaming rig for my breaks, and I don't regret buying it one bit. All the video editing I wish I could do on my laptop I can do while on breaks. Same with getting off to insane graphics. It works out pretty well actually, since I think I'd flunk out of school if I had my gaming rig with me

I just choose to sleep less to fit in more gaming time, and that's seemed to work out fairly well. And I figure I might as well wait until I have a permanent address to buy a PC, just so I can be up-to-date when I actually have time to use it :P

So the moral of the story is that each system has their merits but publishers are squandering the consoles benefits to ape pcs? Got it let's move on to the next issue.

major_chaos:

I'm starting to think PCs are cheaper in the UK because my comp is just over a year old and set me back just over a thousand USD (not counting the HD that failed after a year and needed to be replaced, a decent mouse ect.) but is a piece of garbage that cant manage medium settings on anything nice looking.

US pricing confuses me. To be honest i am an enthusiast user and find it easy to find good parts and maintain them. The build i have is actually relatively old (parts date from late 2008) but it still runs like a dream.

I admit for non enthusiast users finding a workable build and not getting ripped off can be hard work.

It's good to get this out there once again, because it's the thing that has been irritating me for a while now. I have always been a Jack of All Trades player - I play everything. Every console, every handheld, and a pretty rockin' PC.

The best argument for PC > Consoles, in my opinion, is the community. Even when a company has stopped supporting a game, the fan community at large will support it. Take a look at Vampire the Masquerade: Blood Lines. The release version of that game is garbage, and even when company behind it stopped supporting it, fans came out with a patch that made it infinitely better.

That's the kind of thing you'll never see on a console. Yes, with a console you can put a game right in and start playing, but not always. Sometimes there are massive day-one patches, DLC to redeem, and of course there are later patches to polish up the game that should have been finished when it shipped. And of course once these games are old hat, there may still be problems with them.

I think the age-old PC vs Console argument is more of a Freedom vs Convenience argument.

ForensicYOYO:
If I want to play all my PC games with a controller do I have to set the button controls every time?

I prefer a combination of products to solve this nuisance.

DS3Tool/Motion n Joy

and

Xpadder

Toss in a blue tooth dongle and your ready to go with a PS3 controller, wireless, on your PC... plus customization profiles for games with shit native controller support... such as, I dunno... Limbo for PC... Add a Track Ir and your in it to win it... as they say.

Output HDMI to the TV, download a copy of Last Remnant and enjoy!

SonOfVoorhees:
Also i think its easier to cheat on games on PC than a console.

Funny you should say that, considering PC is the only platform where you can still play pretty much any COD game released before Black Ops without finding a cheater in every lobby.

SonOfVoorhees:
PC gamers care more about graphics and physics than the actual game....

No they do not.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4131-The-Beautiful-Irony-of-PC-Gaming

(I'm starting to like Jim again. He has me covered on everything.)

As someone who enjoys games on all platforms, I've been using my PC lately for less serious gaming while my consoles are for the "real" gaming. That's probably because most of my favorite games/series are console exclusives.
It's all about the games and the majority of ones I enjoy aren't available on PC. I won't count emulators because if I were to get a physical copy, it'd be easier and more enjoyable for me to just play it on my console.

Vausch:

Diegolomac:
Well, in... erm... "developing" countries like Brazil it's impossible to have quality pc gaming because a good pc here costs almost 4 months salary for the average person. A console costs a bit less than one month so it's a lot more acessible, even though it's still freaking expensive.

If this person works for minimum wage 15 hours a week, yes they would take 4 months to save up enough to buy a good PC.

tautologico:

Diegolomac:
Well, in... erm... "developing" countries like Brazil it's impossible to have quality pc gaming because a good pc here costs almost 4 months salary for the average person. A console costs a bit less than one month so it's a lot more acessible, even though it's still freaking expensive.

Not really, a PS3 costs around R$1000, for this price or a little more you can build a good gaming PC (without the monitor). However, you'll probably need to have a PC anyway, so the real price is what is needed to upgrade a common PC to run games (which usually means a graphics card and maybe a new power source), which costs much less than a console.

Also, even if you spend a little more building the PC, you'll get the difference back and more just by buying games much cheaper. Console games are becoming less expensive here in Brazil, but it's still much better to buy AAA games in Steam sales than buying the console version.

I bought Assassin's Creed I for 6 dollars, ACII for around 10 dollars. Mass Effect 2: 12 dollars, Bioshock, 6 dollars, and so on. The cheaper you'll find the console versions of these old games on stores here is about R$50, which is about 4 times more expensive than I paid for the PC versions. And even newer games come down in price in just a few months, compared with the pricing of games in stores here which is crazy (Dragon Age 2 is old and it's still priced around R$200 in most places, unfortunately it's not available on Steam anymore but even on Origin it costs about R$50).

Alright, I stand corrected. Maybe it's just because I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere where everything is more expensive than it would be on a big city. But still, I have a below average vaio laptop that I bought online from Sao Paulo for R$3000 less than 6 months ago (and it was a promotion, the thing was almost R$4000 when I checked a couple of months later), and an Xbox360 that cost me around R$1000 two years ago, plus around R$280 for a second controller and a hard drive. And yeah, my laptop runs stuff like Portal 2 on medium settings without many problems, but I put Witcher 2 on windowed mode in the lowest resolution and lowest graphical settings, so it occupied about a fifth of my screen, and it still ran with about 10 fps.

I prefer Consoles, Origin (and you know that Activision etc will have there own origins as soon as EA prove its a money pit) and stuff like the Diablo 3 launch fiasco soured me to real PC gaming. Even with a Red ring and the odd in game bug I've spend less time and money fixing or trying to debug my PC than I ever have my xbox, Mass effect goes in, Mass effect plays. Now that same with on the PC recently made me want to murder a fucking owl and send it to whom ever Designed Origin.

The problem I have with PC gaming is that while its all well and good if you actually get how to Mod, Debug, Fix hard/software issues, If you don't, or at least can't be bothered to fix/tinker with your games, It's a nightmare.

Spending five, yes FIVE hours recently trying to get Diablo 3 running on my PC only to find that all it really needed was the 8th reinstall was not a fun time. I know you CAN fine tune a PC or at least get a good rig going for cheap with limited know how but you need ZERO know how for the vast majority of Console gaming, Put disc in play game is about it. there are times when playing WOW or something, I come home from work, turn on the PC and get some problem and then spend 30 or so minutes chasing down some silly problem when all i want to do is prove how overpowered by shaman is. I can't even remember the last time i had this issue out side of a PS3 Installing screen (fuck that with a spade btw)

Also Lovefilm game rental doesn't exists for PC, thats a biggie for me, I pay like 10 a month and get 2 full retail including brand new (MW3 on launch day says hi) games a week to play. This is why I love Mr Xbox. But still, PC gaming is better if you can be arsed or for some games (MMOS/RTS etc on consoles are worse than mega pony aids) but my point stands.

Oh and is it me or every time I see someone saying consolefag or non ironicly say golden PC master race I feel a weird sense of pity more than anger or w/e. Poor people.

Foolproof:
DRM, compatability issues or a need to upgrade constantly among others.

personally I use cracks to bypass DRM, I don't even know what a compatibility issue is anymore, and I haven't upgraded in 3 years.

Verkula:
Oh yeah, i can connect controllers to my laptop, except most of them are pieces of crap, with shitty d-pads, that becomes more shittier after 1 month of using it. Of course theres always that driver for PS3 controllers i can use, but most of the games wont recognize it.

You wouldn't buy a $10 gamepad for your xbox, right? To me anything above 30€ is pretty decent and more reasonable than 60€ (almost 100 friggin bucks) for a 360 controller.

irishda:
and the PC community is full of elitist snobs that hate people who are new to playing games or assholes just looking for exploits to help them win.

Wow, you went from reasonable to Full Metal Hater in a second. SC2 has to be one of the most elitist games ever, of course you will find elitism there. Same thing with the DOTA genre.

You can't judge a "community" (hate that word when it's applied to gaming) that is composed by people who won't actually meet each other.

Let's imagine you like Metal. You can't expect every metalhead to be instantly friendly to you. Specially if you like Metallica and they like Megadeth (or whatever). Then trying to meet some fans that constantly insult each other and expecting friends is not going to end well. Hope my analogy got trough.

The Rainmaker:

Most modern TVs have PC inputs (DVI or VGA). Most modern video cards have HDMI out (or have converters packaged with them.) Ether way you can use an TV that isn't an old CRT as a computer monitor. A dedicated computer monitor will be better of course, but it works. By brother uses his Sony Bravia for his TV, PC and 360.

SonOfVoorhees:
Also i think its easier to cheat on games on PC than a console.

Yes, consoles let designers control your experience and if they don't want you to cheat, you won't. I am wondering how much longer people are going to put up with being told how to play.

Right now I am playing Final Fantasy XII. I know that there is alot of grind and if I find that I am not up for it when the time comes, I can Gameshark it and get some levels, license points or just infinite HP/MP. Will I do that? I don't know but the option is nice to have.

Now, if I wanted to Gameshark Final Fantasy XIII (which is also grindy), I couldn't because cheat devices on the PS3/360/Wii would just be patched out.

Danial:
Spending five, yes FIVE hours recently trying to get Diablo 3 running on my PC only to find that all it really needed was the 8th reinstall was not a fun time.

So it's automatically your PC's fault. Surely there was no human error of your own and no responsibility on Blizzard's part.

You find it sad that people use the term "pc master race", I find it sad when people use computers to excuse their own lack of knowledge. Come on, nobody is forced to have all the knowledge in the world - but that's no reason to blame other parties.

Valid arguments from both Jim and from the gaming community, but here's something I just want to note

I just don't like PC gaming for one major reason...because it's on my computer.

I have two jobs right now, both of them requiring me to use my PC as my biggest tool, and I'm also a full time student so a vast majority of my studying and assignments are done on the PC. Aside from the fact that I like to just mess around on the internet...I spend enough time on the computer as it is.

The last thing I want to do is have this thing that already sucks up so much of my life also be my primary source of gaming, one of the hobbies I have specifically to get myself away from the computer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here