Miracle of Sound: DNA (Prometheus)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

For a moment i thought "Ascendancy". Then NIN "Fragile". Alice in Chains ? Nope. Just Gavin doing his magic.
Thanks. :]

I like how it starts soft with a little bit of Blue Danube (maybe I was just remembering 2001), then a soft interlude only to go into full on industiral. It's a bit of a musical roller coaster.
Always great to see you try new things, Gav.

Superb movie and perfect music to go along with it.

Just like the movie, it was mostly haunting with a flashes of thriller.

Well done sir!

Great job with this song definitely feeling some early NIN industrial vibes with this one, awesome stuff.

I was not expecting a song inspired by a movie! Having seen the movie in question I feel that you captured it's moods perfectly with this song. This easily makes up for the last week being songless. Keep up the good work!

If Gav is doing movies now, I'd love to see him do one about Tommy Wiseau's The Room, that would be a barrel of laughs.

Loved it, incredibly professional sound - wish it were longer!

Surprising indeed, and very cool. Loved the influence from the actual film's score, and intrigued to see whether there'll be more film based songs, and what they'll be.

The Summer of 2012: So lackluster for video games, Gav can't even do another Skyrim song, and starts doing songs for movies. Sad, sad state of affairs.

Not bad, I don't mind the shift in the media of focus, but shame on you for making a bad movie seem interesting again.

Most thought you meant changing genre when you said two weeks ago you'd do something new... not a complettely new "platform" :)
2 minuter intro: check.
Dark song: check
Good song: Well done already a few 50 times or so... and still not letting us down!

Panorama:
I got this in the level 2 album off the band camp on tuesday (i think) and i enjoyed it but couldn't think what game you were going to put with it. I log in today and pleasantly surprised to see it uploaded!

Awesome work as usual please keep up the superb work!!

Wait, Level 2 is out? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED!?

SirCannonFodder:

Panorama:
I got this in the level 2 album off the band camp on tuesday (i think) and i enjoyed it but couldn't think what game you were going to put with it. I log in today and pleasantly surprised to see it uploaded!

Awesome work as usual please keep up the superb work!!

Wait, Level 2 is out? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED!?

Well it just came out on Thrusday for that Bandcamp thing, no idea when it'll be out for itunes so I'll just have to wait till I see it for sale on there.

I could really hear the NiN influence in this. I love it when you try new stuff, and really enjoyed this one.

My only complaint would be that it felt a little on the short side. Could easily see this song lasting another 2 minutes or so. I just felt like it was over as it was really getting into it's stride.

Great song nevertheless.

Oooh, it was so creepy at the beginning and then went on to be awesome.

On a related note, Michael Fassbender is super hot, am I right?

A song based on a movie?!? Preposterous! What's next, you doing a cover from a classic 1939 movie?

BehattedWanderer:

Not bad, I don't mind the shift in the media of focus, but shame on you for making a bad movie seem interesting again.

I loved Prometheus. Didn't think it was anything remotely resembling 'bad'.

Not seen Prometheus but this is an awesome song.

A approve of this change of subject matter!

Really love this song - actually liked the long build up at the start and the haunting, melancholy, creepy edge to your voice.

Haven't seen the film yet but hopefully will now that I'm back in the UK (finding a cinema in Italy with English subs - not a chance!). From what I've heard of the subject matter (and from 'alien') the song really captures the message - the uncertainty of our origin and the helplessness that comes with it.

I liked it. The vioce filtering sounded almost like it was over a radio, wich I thought was a nice touch for a space voyage themed movie. I think thematically it was a bit simple as it used only references to DNA as its primary metaphore rather then the hoard of great imagery found in some of the songs like Black Gold but it was still a nice song.

I thought this was lazy work. Gimmicky and lacking in any particular coolness factor.

I have come to expect much more...

MiracleOfSound:

BehattedWanderer:

I loved Prometheus. Didn't think it was anything remotely resembling 'bad'.

...Really? So, it didn't bug you that this is a team of scientists that don't act remotely scientific? That every decision made seems like the wrong one? Touching random alien black goos, the captain leaving his post (and people stranded without communication) to go bang the corp girl? The guy very clearly infected with an extremely aggressive pathogen decides not to go to the med bay? A girl covered in blood stumbling around draws no suspicion? Trillions of dollars and a two year-one way voyage across a galaxy based on a guess about the meaning of pictographs found in caves? None of that was bad to you?

Tone and visual effects were pretty good, though.

BehattedWanderer:

...Really? So, it didn't bug you that this is a team of scientists that don't act remotely scientific? That every decision made seems like the wrong one? Touching random alien black goos, the captain leaving his post (and people stranded without communication) to go bang the corp girl? The guy very clearly infected with an extremely aggressive pathogen decides not to go to the med bay? A girl covered in blood stumbling around draws no suspicion? Trillions of dollars and a two year-one way voyage across a galaxy based on a guess about the meaning of pictographs found in caves? None of that was bad to you?

Nope. When I watch movies I tend not to analyse their logic or plot holes too much as doing so limits my enjoyment of the simple wonder and joy of watching and investing in a story. Every story falls apart under too much analysis and scrutiny. I watch them for the lovely visuals and escapism. Same reason I enjoyed the ME3 extended cut when many did not.

Telperion:
I thought this was lazy work. Gimmicky and lacking in any particular coolness factor.

I have come to expect much more...

What exactly was the gimmick you noticed, I'm curious?

And thank god it doesn't have what you call 'cool factor'. That is something I deliberately avoid so thanks for the compliment.

MiracleOfSound:

BehattedWanderer:

Nope. When I watch movies I tend not to analyse their logic or plot holes too much as doing so limits my enjoyment of the simple wonder and joy of watching and investing in a story. Every story falls apart under too much analysis and scrutiny. I watch them for the lovely visuals and escapism. Same reason I enjoyed the ME3 extended cut when many did not.

Fair enough, I suppose. Can't argue that it might limit enjoyment, seeing as that's exactly what I was suggesting.

trollnystan:
I loved it! If this is reminiscent of NiN, as people are saying, then I should definitely look up some of their songs. A new favourite for sure!

If you love this, NIN will make you cry with awesome. Also check out Marilyn Manson to a lesser extent.

OT: Awesome, love it!

I feel tiny and insignificant now. Also, why doesn't the movie come out here until several months from now?

SextusMaximus:
If you love this, NIN will make you cry with awesome. Also check out Marilyn Manson to a lesser extent.

I disagree.

I mean, I agree on NIN, it is awesome and since this song sounds reminiscent of Trent's music, then yeah NIN will make people who liked it cry from awesomeness.

I disagree about the Marilyn Manson thing. It was somewhat influenced by NIN when Trent was actually there, in the studio. But lately, Marilyn Manson's music is... Not good at all. The earlier albums, up to and including The Last Tour On Earth, sure. Brilliant. The following ones were getting worse and worse.
It's just my opinion, tho.

Rainboq:
If Gav is doing movies now, I'd love to see him do one about Tommy Wiseau's The Room, that would be a barrel of laughs.

*log onto escapist, scanning new videos*

Miracle of Sound: The Room: It's BOWLSCHETT

0_o

bigfatcarp93:

Rainboq:

*log onto escapist, scanning new videos*

Miracle of Sound: The Room: It's BOWLSCHETT

0_o

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART, GAVIN!

Loethlin:

I disagree about the Marilyn Manson thing. It was somewhat influenced by NIN when Trent was actually there, in the studio. But lately, Marilyn Manson's music is... Not good at all. The earlier albums, up to and including The Last Tour On Earth, sure. Brilliant. The following ones were getting worse and worse.
It's just my opinion, tho.

I would tend to agree with you there. Antichrist Superstar was fantastic as it has huge input from Trent. It'll always be one of my favourite albums. I liked Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood too but then he just seemed to lose his fire a bit after that and his albums became anger by numbers, bored fake rage.

Whooooo, bombastic, symphonic industrial electro! Cool, I like it. I wonder what sort of soup you might whip up if you grab a pinch of this and an ounce of Kalros and chucked that into your creative broth. Mmmmmmm... Megatron? ;-)

MiracleOfSound:

What exactly was the gimmick you noticed, I'm curious?

Throughout the video the sound didn't feel natural. I don't know how much time you spend fixing the audio usually, but this time around the whole show seemed to consist of different kind of artificial alterations to what was a very repetitive and simple song. It reminded me of any of a thousand generic teen pop songs that have a single refrain / chorus that is heard ad nauseam. I understand that there's nothing particularly wrong with this, but it just seems very lazy to me. It sounded boring. There was nothing here that made me feel like I want to continue listening. That's what I meant with a "cool factor", but I'm not an American, nor do I live in an English speaking country. So, I don't actually know what you think when you hear the words "cool" and "factor" put together.

Telperion:

Throughout the video the sound didn't feel natural. I don't know how much time you spend fixing the audio usually, but this time around the whole show seemed to consist of different kind of artificial alterations to what was a very repetitive and simple song.
It reminded me of any of a thousand generic teen pop songs that have a single refrain / chorus that is heard ad nauseam. I understand that there's nothing particularly wrong with this, but it just seems very lazy to me. It sounded boring. There was nothing here that made me feel like I want to continue listening.

Well, I like simplicity and I like repetition, especially when they are there to build atmosphere through dynamics, (as in almost every movie soundtrack ever made) so... yeah. If you listen to the Inception music, or the Prometheus soundtrack it is all simple, repeating phrases that build and fall in their dynamics while adding small, 'superficial' changes.

Also, the song completely changes tone, sound, genre and instrumentation halfway through.

Sometimes a song I make isn't meant to be something you actively listen to in order to be fully engaged at all times... sometimes they are there to be slow burners, to suggest an atmosphere, to try and capture a little part of the spirit of the story it was written about in a subtle way :)

Jesus-fucking-Christ; Gavin does it again. You got the opening fantastically done, it certainly creeped me out enough. Intense build up to a more heavy (Industrial?) beat with "Flesh In A Frail Hide...". Very nice indeed. It makes for a fantastic trailer to Prometheus, hell, most of your songs end up being better trailers for what they're about than the official ones. My congratulations again, if you ever even see this post. :P

I just keep coming back to this song, over and over. The only other two that got me so addicted were Commander Shepard and Kajiit Like To Sneak, and they weren't this good.
Ok, the fact that I just saw Prometheus (it came out in my country this Friday) has a lot to do with this. I thought this movie was awesome and I think this song is absolutely perfect for it.
I thought it was perfect before, but only now I can appreciate it in its full extent.
You, sir, are brilliant.

Also, made this. Tagged it appropriately, of course.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here