Escape to the Movies: Ice Age: Continental Drift

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ice Age: Continental Drift

Contrary to popular belief this is not the sequel to Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift.

Watch Video

MovieBob:

Contrary to popular belief this is not the sequel to Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift.
>

Yes. But it would be an..... interesting watch.

Personally i think all CGI sequels (barring the inevitable exception of Pixar) tend to fall into the "We just want to make an OK fun movie with these characters" trap. Shrek a noteable example of this.

It seems like they just don't plan for a sequel, or if they do they plan for a cash-in. Maybe if someone with a bit more vision and a studio that didn't mince all its properties down to the most easily digestible mass market pulp perhaps we could see a nice series of CGI films that have a consistent tone and story arc ala Toy Story.

Huh, short episode this week. But it's all good. After all, the big guns are rolling in next week.

Short movie, short review short on criticism, short comment.

As much as I dislike moviebob I had to watch this and see what he felt.

I feel that Blue-Sky has only made 2 good movies in their entire existence:

Ice Age and Rio. All the sequels sucked horribly from what I have seen and their other movies like Robots only made money through mcdonalds toys. Ice age I rewatched and while I liked it, it did feel extremely barren for a movie. Its supposed to be set in an icy wasteland but then it feels like its desert for half of the movie. Rio was fucking awesome for its clever use of character humor and the extraordinary amount of colors.

Who else did not understand the two cubes and the "fingers crossed" thingy?

How do you manage to be both too Manny and not enough at the same time?

Hellskull:

I KNOW!
I thought Movie Bob was a Nintendo die-hard.

A continental break-up separates a family of prehistoric animals? ...huh.

Anybody else having déjà vu?

Loved the first Ice Age, but it was a film where sequels weren't needed. Unfortunately, Dreamworks doesn't believe that, as seen with the Madagascar sequels and the 3rd and 4th Shrek films (I loved Shrek 2, maybe even more than the original).

But still, next week is Dark Knight Rises, and I will be watching the review after I see the film in the evening. Really cannot wait.

You could almost say that these movie writers are going down....

a slippery slope!

Like this joke.

Hellskull:

Movie Bob is referring to this. I'm in wait-and-see mode myself.

I kinda want to see a cross over with Bob and the Cinema Snob from TGWTG. It's probably been asked before and I'm another tear in the rain, but it would be interesting. Though I was waiting for him to bring up the Simpsons short that was apparently playing before this film.

So, no surprises here. Like Bob, I enjoyed the first one. The sequels...not so much.

It's too bad that this one isn't as great as the first one... oh well
Hopefully, Bob will be MUCH more invested in next week's release 8DDDDDDDDD

What's funny is that in the last episode of his other show, The Game Overthinker, Bob pondered on the possibility of new hardware outside the big three in the gaming industry. He said "probably not". And then the Ouya happened.

Talk about bad timing.

DVS BSTrD:
How do you manage to be both too Manny and not enough at the same time?

There's a special circle in hell for puns that bad, DVS.

OT: You can't really expect Bob to make a legitimate show out of another Ice Age movie, especially since they don't have some big discussion topic to hang on to. At least with the Shrek movies people could talk about why or why not they should make more movies. With this, it's obviously just for the purpose of being a lazy sunday family matinee, and you can't really do anything deep with that.

Beyond The Female Saber Tooth Tiger I forgot what this was about....

Also

Thanks for the reminder I still need to donate $99 bucks or so on a Ouya.

Suddenly The Dark Night Rises is worth looking forward to now, is it Bob?

Still no iron sky?

I loved the first movie, it was the movie where I thought that Blue Sky was a worthy competitor to Pixar, but after a few more movies... well, I liked Rio and I also liked the other Ice Age movies... so yeah, lots of wasted potential. Oh and then there was that robot movie too.

I'll still watch this though, at least it's better than anything Dreamworks has ever done this year. Or last year. Or ever.

Scars Unseen:

Hellskull:

Movie Bob is referring to this. I'm in wait-and-see mode myself.

SWEET! Good that I read the comments or I would've went crazy cuz of not knowing. Just took a look at it and I'm hyped as well. YAAAY for Bob! :D

OT: Meh I'm not much for series like this. I'm one of those simple minded ppl who just watch these for momentary fun and then skip to something else. Sorry for being lame, but that's just how I am. :)

Nothing else came out? What?

Hasn't Brave been out for a week and a half? I know my local theater is showing it tomorrow, I have plans to go see it.

Why haven't we gotten a review for that one yet?

aegix drakan:
Nothing else came out? What?

Hasn't Brave been out for a week and a half? I know my local theater is showing it tomorrow, I have plans to go see it.

Why haven't we gotten a review for that one yet?

You may be less-than-happy to find out that MovieBob already reviewed it.

Mullahgrrl:
Still no iron sky?

I don't think Iron Sky has had a US release, which would put a bit of a hamper on a US movie critic doing a review of it.

EDIT: All right, looks like it might have had one showing in San Francisco, California, which I don't believe is anywhere near where MovieBob lives.

OT: Yeah, when I saw a preview trailer for this the only thing I could think was "Why is this a thing?" It doesn't really have any reason to exist, does it? Was there any call for another Ice Age movie?

Captcha: Too late. Again, well played, Captcha.

If there was nothing interesting to watch then why not Project X?

I found it rather interesting.

Personally I just think these movies are the only way Ray Romano gets to have a career anymore.

YOU KNOW BOB, WE'RE STILL WAITING FOR YOUR BRAVE IF YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT HAVING ANYTHING TO REVIEW. Since, you know you skipped it COMPLETELY for bloody Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and all.

But, whatever you want to do eh?

EDIT: Son-of-a-bitch.... he did review it. Welp, my point is utterly moot now, sorry please move on.

Iron Sky Bob, Iron Sky, I can almost garantee that it is funnier than this new Ice Age.

Really liked the first movie, mostly ignored the sequels, but "voiced by Jennifer Lopez" has officially killed this franchise for me.

Robert... what happened to Brave?

Man, I remember the first Ice Age. That movie was great. Shame it went this way.

Man, I forgot how good the first Ice Age was. Shame how pretty much all good animated films (minus Pixar stuff, but maybe not really these days) seem to get this treatment. (I.e., Shrek...And uh, I guess just Shrek.)

Casual Shinji:

Land Before Time? And that movie had a ton of shitty sequels too!

Didn't the Ouya people get like 4 million dollars or something crazy like that?

Wow, shortest Escape to the Movies ever. Is Iron Sky out in the U.S. yet? I remember the 1st Ice Age well enough, not really the 2 after that. Did Scrat the acorn-hungry rat have any bearing on the plots of those movies. On the plus-side, Peter Dinklage! I just know Bob will S#*^ himself with joy over Dark Knight Rises next week. I know I will!

Soviet Heavy:

Casual Shinji:

Land Before Time? And that movie had a ton of shitty sequels too!

Bingo!

I wouldn't know about the shitty sequels though, since I only ever watched the first movie because the sequels seemed so shitty...

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here