The Escapist Year-by-Year

The Escapist Year-by-Year

On our birthday, here's a look back at seven years of gaming goodness.

Read Full Article

To think, only the Xbox 360 was out in 2005 with Facebook games and the App store barley a glint in peoples collective eyes.

Motion controls were just starting to be a thing and smart phones were the preserve of the cutting edge.

And 3D wasn't a buzz word...

I feel so old reading this. Even though I did not join officially until 2010, I have been lurking for quite some time. Time flies by way too fast, I need to start making a bucket list.

I do like how Gabe called the PS3 a waste of time in 2007 and then went and linked Steam to it a couple of years later.

I wonder if any of those 2005 accounts are still active at the site. Besides employees obviously.

Eric the Orange:
I wonder if any of those 2005 accounts are still active at the site. Besides employees obviously.

All of them are.

Also, we removed employees from the list.

TimeLord:
I do like how Gabe called the PS3 a waste of time in 2007 and then went and linked Steam to it a couple of years later.

I was thinking the same thing. Although we all know a lot happened in that period of time and the PS3 moved on from an expensive piece of junk to a top competitor too. Only thing that didn't change was Valve's ability to be awesome IMO.

I'm an official Escapist hipster now. Exciting.

Drayvock:
I'm an official Escapist hipster now. Exciting.

*Reads the year you joined*

Wow, I rarely run into anyone who joined as early as 2008, sometimes a tad earlier like 2007... but, 2005?? ... Sir, I want to ask you so many questions now plus your Avatar suits your legacy on here haha.

OT: Ah, this was a great article which had all the best features/videos/news to come by. I was happy to see Jim's "Why Skyrim Proves The Industry Wrong" video to be part of important Escapist history. Happy birthday Escapist, I plan on staying until you and I both live no more.

Heh, I know that I was reading the .pdfs a long time ago, but I don't remember "joining" anything until the redesign of the website much later. I think I got them from a mailing list, if I remember correctly...

I miss the pdfs...they were so much more like reading a magazine, and one with intelligence behind it, rather than the usual EGM-style ones that were around then...

Happy Birthday Escapist!

If only I had joined in 2007... Ah well, Happy Birthday Escapist! Please continue to be the place I call home.

Aww...I lurked for a year before joining. I remember a lot of this stuff. Not all the early stuff, but some of it I saw after joining, so I retroactively remember it. Happy Birthday, Escapist!

Oh wow, I feel old now... And I kinda miss the PDFs... But such is life! Happy birthday, Escapist!

I miss the times of weekly issues.

It's what made The Escapist

Okay, now I just what to meet user 123456789.

I'm on a list. I don't know how I feel about that...

Fuuuck I was right when I was a teenager, 26 is old.

Gotta spend some time reading through those articles though. I vaguely remember a bunch of them.

Frybird:

Indeed. This feature only makes me weep for the drop in feature article quality and quantity, even if the site improved in other areas. I love almost all of the video content, but video content's a dime a dozen on the net. Insightful articles, not so much.

The Random One:

Frybird:

Indeed. This feature only makes me weep for the drop in feature article quality and quantity, even if the site improved in other areas. I love almost all of the video content, but video content's a dime a dozen on the net. Insightful articles, not so much.

We used to run five a week, now we run three or four a week. So while you can justifiably lament the drop in quantity, I will argue vehemently against the notion there's been any drop in quality.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here