The Big Picture: Batman Revisited, Part 4

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Batman Revisited, Part 4

Batman & Robin join in on the fun that is MovieBob's Batman retrospective.

Watch Video

well, let's also be honest: nipples on the Batsuit are stupid. Also, Batman was originally a far darker protagonist in the Golden Age. In the SILVER AGE he was campy like in the show and in the Schumacher movies but going to his roots he was supposed to be a bit more gritty and grim than the average superhero much like the Dark Knight Returns (not its sequel though) or the Nolan movies. Albeit Bob Kane was pretty much a hack whose worst ideas were edited by Bill Finger and Batman did STUPIDLY use a gun in the beginning, but that's how things are. Heck, in the Silver Age Batman was pretty close to being canceled

Anyway, B&R will always be a stupid movie.

Well that's the end of the Batman quiery.

And I actually had more of a problem with the Cat suite, as it was a LOT harder to miss than the Bat nipples.

I loved this movie when I was a kid. It was only when I grew up that I decided it was a horrible, horrible movie to defend myself from the backlash of my peers, the same ones that think all the other crappy movies we watch when we were little are still great because of nostalgia. I wouldn't be able to sit through the movie now that I'm older but I can say the same thing about a lot of other movies from the days of old.

I actually never really thought about comparing it to Street Fighter. Makes sense though.

I'm just going to come out and say it. I freaking loved Batman and Robin. One of the funniest damn movies I've ever seen. Laughed pretty much the whole way through. The whole thing is just absurd, and I find it hilarious. Bat nipples, Arnold Schwarzenegger wearing polar bear slippers and making horrible ice puns, fantastic troll logic... just comedy gold.

Batman and Robin is one of my favorite Batman movies to watch.

I like Batman & Robin. It's campy, it has a ridiculous script, it has hilariously over-the-top acting, it has puns, and made some of the most ridiculously nonsensical changes to the suits of all time. So I firmly believe that it was "So bad it's good", even today.

Woah woah woah, watch what you say about Street Fighter The Movie or Bison will decent upon you, LIKE LIGHTNING!!

Also, Batman and Robin is a film I still enjoy watching. Because it's funny, corny and just a fun movie to watch.

Plus it has ARNOLD as Mr.Freeze.

Oddly enough, for a long time I thought Batman returns was the worst of the 4 films, simply because I enjoy watching the Schmacker films far more.

Never knew the movie was considered bad, because of gay undertones...
I just thought it was bad, because it sucks.
And honestly, I undertstand why a Batman movie should not be gay in any way.
Having Batman turn gay, or making him seem gay in any way brings with it horrible implications about his relationship with all the robins...

Poison Ivy sure got me hooked on the movie when I was a teenager...still would if I didn't resent watching its horrid puns, camp, and nonsensical vomit.

THE BAT CARD! SUPER VENUS FLY TRAP! NEON TATTOO BIKERS! ALICIA SILVERSTONE DOING ANYTHING!

And good god those puns. ugh.

i hope rises review doesnt have any spoilers, including minor ones. 1st time ive actually cared enough.

as for batman and robin i didnt have a problem with it as a kid but i didnt really like any of them above just watching it coz it was on tv (probably for the 1st time).

Harry Knowles didn't like Batman and Robin you say? Heh, well the studio must not have flown him to the set, given him a private showing and otherwise kissed his ass like the studio behind the American Godzilla movie did because he couldn't stop gushing over that piece of garbage.

Sorry I know it's off topic but I've spent a sizable amount of time in Austin TX and have a rather large distaste for the Ain't It Cool News founder. Oh the stories I could tell . . .

I love Batman & Robin, its just a hell of a lot of fun to watch and get mad about. Who can resist Arnies ice puns? Anyone who gets mad about it watches it in the wrong mind set, its VERY clearly not trying to be serious or even good so you might as well love it for what it is.

Actually most people who I talk to like it, the only person who didn't picked up a copy of The Dark Night Returns once and thus see himself as huge comic fans. (He thought there was only one Robin, but I digress.)

Um, I never saw the gay tone you bring up and the film still looks stupid with nipples and asses proeminently featured. And Catwoman would only be comparable if Catwoman's suit had plastic always-hard nipples protruding from her suit.

Honestly, its the soundtracks that I remember most about Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Mainly that I thought they were really good.

minnull:
I loved this movie when I was a kid. It was only when I grew up that I decided it was a horrible, horrible movie to defend myself from the backlash of my peers, the same ones that think all the other crappy movies we watch when we were little are still great because of nostalgia. I wouldn't be able to sit through the movie now that I'm older but I can say the same thing about a lot of other movies from the days of old.

^---- THIS

Also, from how Bob said "What I think of [Dark Knight Rises]", I think its pretty safe to assume hes seen it already in which case I say "CURSE YOU MOVIE BOB AND YOU INTERNET CELEBRITY PRIVILEGES!!!!!!"

Heres hoping "Rises" is a good movie. Not looking for another Dark Knight, just something I can enjoy.

i'll admit i've never thought Batman and Robin was the vilest thing out there (thank you Saw films), but for me personally, i put it almost on par with Batman Forever. It was Carrey's performance that elevated it higher, and i admit i prefer the gothic stylings of the Burton Batman films (plus it started something that affects me to this day, lol).

Besides, i think Keaton got it best on the acting of being Bruce Wayne.

"What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!"

Nope, I don't give a **** about the costumes being gay or whatever. Never did. It's just a dumb movie.

I have to disagree on the casting. I think the actor choices were pretty good.
Arny as Freeze and Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy were great choices. It's just the execution that was terrible.
I also really dislike the overall plastic-y look of everything and the studio sets are among the worst I have ever seen.

Aiddon:
Also, Batman was originally a far darker protagonist in the Golden Age.

For like 8 months when he was a thinly-veiled rip-off of The Shadow, before they decided they wanted a piece of that sweet Superman readership and gave him a kid sidekick?

Aiddon:
In the SILVER AGE he was campy like in the show

The comics were way campier than the show. At least in the show there wasn't any time travel, alien invasions, or people being transformed into talking monkeys.

Aiddon:
but going to his roots he was supposed to be a bit more gritty and grim than the average superhero much like the Dark Knight Returns

The Dark Knight Returns was not about bringing Batman back to his "roots". It was a deconstruction of the character and his millieu, and intended to be a contrast to and satire of the iconic presentation of Batman, not a template. DKR is kind of impenetrable to someone who's never picked up a Batman comic. Without some previous understanding of the Batman character and the DC universe, DKR is just Dirty Harry in a funny costume.

I still don't get why so many people want Batman to be such a dark, serious character when his central concept will always be ridiculous: he's a billionaire who dresses up like a bat so he can punch a clown.

The one reason I hat Batman and Robin is because it ruined Bane. It turned him from an intelligent super criminal who could outwit Batman and broke his back into a lumbering overweight bodyguard. Even worse, people now think that's how he truly is and I just hope that TDKR changes all that

It's kind of funny how much people seem to like this movie. Above me I'm seeing that there are more comments saying they liked the movie then not. Sometimes I think that everyone hating this thing is more a result of it not being cool to like it.

As for myself, I've always loved Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. They are stupid funny, and have enough action to keep me entertained. And unlike a lot of people I know, I don't seem to have a severe alergic reaction to bad puns.

And seriously, if I were a guy who could only survive in sub-zero tempatures, required a special suit just to live around normal people, and was crazy enough to go on a crime spee using a freeze ray as my main weapon.... HELL YEAH I'd be using stupid puns to make the most of the ice theme!

Calibanbutcher:
Never knew the movie was considered bad, because of gay undertones...
I just thought it was bad, because it sucks.

A lot of younger males will use the term "gay" as an epithet for anything that doesn't fit their particular definition of "badass" or "manly" without really intending homophobia. So a guy in a tight black PVC bat costume can get into extended bear-hugs with sweaty thugs and that's okay, but add some neon lights and nipples on the suit and all of a sudden it's "gay".

Calibanbutcher:
And honestly, I undertstand why a Batman movie should not be gay in any way.
Having Batman turn gay, or making him seem gay in any way brings with it horrible implications about his relationship with all the robins...

There is no more of a link between homosexuality and child molestation than there is between heterosexuality and child molestation.

As stated in comments above: I loved Batman and Robin. Mr.Freeze was the best part with all his ice puns, I love puns.

Falseprophet:

I still don't get why so many people want Batman to be such a dark, serious character when his central concept will always be ridiculous: he's a billionaire who dresses up like a bat so he can punch a clown.

To be fair, he's an equal opportunity puncher of all people with mental illnesses, not just clowns.

Tim Burton's Batman was cool. Adam West's Batman was cool. The Schumacher films were neither one thing nor the other. Dark and camp is not a thing. George Clooney is way too self aware to be camp and too cheery to be dark. The movie clunks along from one ugly scene to the next. So-bad-it's-good camp classics need to be easy to watch. This was not.

Am I the only one who thought Arnie as Mr. Freeze was the best thing in the film?

I watched B&R when I was about 13-14yo. Before that I watched the Burton movies on the tv. I thought they were scary and I didn't even get half the story, but I thought they were cool as hell. Mind you before that I haven't even read Batman comics, I only watched the West series (which I was really into, but was a lot younger then and even that I took for a serious action show).
I kind of liked Batman Forever when I first saw it, but even then I remember thinking it lost it's edge.

The whole gay "vibe". I honestly never even noticed and I think it's one of those things that you don't notice but then somebody talks about and then you can sort of see it, but I still don't really see it.
Gay or not, nipples are freaking stupid, it's just bad design with no point to it whatsoever.

And now that I even get all the puns, maybe it's just that I'm not American or something, but this movie is still not "stupid funny". On the other hand I never thought Flash Gordon was that kind of movie either, sure it's camp and some things are silly but there's so much ideas and imagination behind it, while in B%R they almost went for "let's make it so kids like it", while I'm pretty sure that wasn't the whole point of Flash Gordon.

When I was a kid I enjoyed this movie because I always got a kick out of mr. freeze. Arnold made a great one and the puns were hilarious.

I liked robin growing up. I also figured because batman barely talked to ladies or rarely had a girl to rescue, that robin was kind of a lonely-guy-comnpanion-even-if-not-going-outish friend. Even as a little girl not understanding culture or gay referances totally, I thought that was a refreshing change of perspective on a hero.

Goodness, I'm glad superman didn't look that way! He looks like a messed up x-man villian!

I knew it.

Hmm, so B&R was fun, campy, had awesome Ahnuld Ice Puns and Uma Thurman....
AND gave us MovieBob to enjoy?

Liked the movie, loving it now.

Aiddon:
well, let's also be honest: nipples on the Batsuit are stupid. Also, Batman was originally a far darker protagonist in the Golden Age. In the SILVER AGE he was campy like in the show and in the Schumacher movies but going to his roots he was supposed to be a bit more gritty and grim than the average superhero much like the Dark Knight Returns (not its sequel though) or the Nolan movies. Albeit Bob Kane was pretty much a hack whose worst ideas were edited by Bill Finger and Batman did STUPIDLY use a gun in the beginning, but that's how things are. Heck, in the Silver Age Batman was pretty close to being canceled

Anyway, B&R will always be a stupid movie.

While I will agree that bat nipples are stupid......

I do believe that your use of the term "originally" is misplaced. Case and point May 1939's Detective Comics #27

Also, if you read about Bob Kane's original concept for Batman, he was wearing red tights....

Bill Finger, did however convince Kane that a darker look would be best, but overall the original batman was still fairly campy.

Also, I was a little kid when Batman and Robin came out, and despite the fact that even I could recognize the camp, I still enjoyed the film.... Though I can see why adults at the time would not enjoy it....

Calibanbutcher:

I'm pretty sure gay men can be around boys without molesting them.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here