No Right Answer: Most Disappointing Television Channel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This video reminded me why I'm in love with the BBC and why my radio is used more then my TV for broadcast entertainment. Hearing whats happened to Sci-Fi is disappointing because even though you can't watch the channel directly, you can see sci-fi's original programming on other channels and DVD and I've loved a lot of what they've made (Stargate, Eureka, still on the fence about Alphas and Warehouse 13).

Sci Fi is most disappointing, MTV is just Snookie-Beaver.

medv4380:
Glad MTV won. Not only is it Disappointing, it is also a contagion. I blame it for the fall of the History Channel and The Learning Channel.

I agree that the History Channel's losing its way, what with Ancient Aliens, and Pawn Stars (which has some historical discussion, but that's stretching it), and the blue-collar working shows, but mind explaining how that's related to MTV's nosedive into suck?

nexus:

Drazi:
History Channel.

Sir, Ancient Aliens.

At least it's not as much of the "Jesus & Hitler Marathon Channel" it used to be.

So, is that an improvement from how it used to be?

Hmm... quite a conundrum... on the one hand, I don't feel that MTV had any promise to begin with, so it couldn't really "disappoint", per se. On the other, SyFy still has some slight remnants of Sci-Fi left, what with Eureka (until last Monday at any rate), Warehouse 13, and Alphas, so it hasn't become complete crap. Definitely a tough one.

Gotta say that MTV is definitely the biggest loser in this regards. The math is quite simple, really.

Say what you want about SyFy, but (with the exception of wrestling :P) they're still about SyFy stuff.

MTV, as was pointed out, has utterly lost the very core of it's premise: the music. All that's left is a bunch of crap.

I will say, though, that SyFy lost a LOT of points with me when they gave up MST3K over to Comedy Central. That was just the worst move they could have possibly pulled off.

Darth_Payn:

So, is that an improvement from how it used to be?

Yes it is. At least Ancient Aliens (was) interesting. I'd say they stretched it too far and pull everything out of a black hole in their ass to keep it running though.

The first few episodes were based around rather old, and famous stuff like Chariots of the Gods. So it was really nothing new, and if you weren't privy to that paradigm it was no doubt very interesting.

It broke up what was once the "Revisionist History Channel, Neo-Con Marathon Special" that happened to air during "the wars". You can still catch History stuff at times, but I don't watch TV anymore, so I do not care. Pawn Stars or whatever it is, can go away.

So yea, it was better to a degree, for a time. It was at least stimulating, where "Hitler & Jesus" marathons was not, and was in fact disturbing. It was only there to reinforce the good & evil paradigm in our binary little world, so less people would question the war.

Kitsune Hunter:

amaranth_dru:

Kitsune Hunter:

True also he's a massive shit stirrer, watched Jersey Shore a year ago whenever it was a guilty pleasure, but I assumed Snooki was dumb, because of some of the stuff she says, now I'm starting to think, why did i watch that crap in the first place?, that's time i'll never get back

TBH, I've never watched the show, other than the weird crossovers I've seen on various TV shows like WWE and Comedy Central's Roast. I refuse to watch "Reality TV" mostly because I have enough reality in real life and don't need simulated, scripted reality.
Which brings me to the OP Video, why argue about SyFy/MTV? They're both absolutely horrid now, though Syfy is generally better in regards to content it still is a far cry from its origins (as is MTV). I don't think you can even call MTV by its original name since there isn't much music anymore.

True, SyFy is better as MTV just shows reality tv nowadays, the lowest form of entertainment while SyFy at least shows anime and where else can i watch good bad movies like Nazis at the Centre of the Earth

Also, the argument against the b-rate movies SyFy produces... well, Sci-Fi movies have been either absolute gems, complete flops or b-rate cult classics. SyFy seems to have jumped on the 3rd with a passion and while they are ridiculous and cheesy, that seems to be the point. SyFy knows the movies they produce suck, but still put them out anyway. That takes a certain type of balls to do. I do miss the old days of SciFi, because thats where I first discovered Anime, long before DBZ was brought to Cartoon Network. SciFi had Tenchi and after seeing an episode I walked straight to Blockbuster Video and rented their whole anime section, starting with Akira, Record of Lodoss Wars, Fist of the North Star (which I played the NES game and had no freakin clue there was a movie or what anime was in the 80's). On SciFi I also later caught Iria, Robot Carnival (which confused the hell out of me more than the first horrible dub of Akira), Orion, Tank Police, Macross Plus (The Movie, later I bought the series and found it to be a better cut...) Vampire Hunter D (the second reason I love anime) Demon City, Fists of Fury, Macross 2, Appleseed, Battle Angel, Battle Arena Toshinden, Roujin Z, Lilly C.A.T., and Street Fighter II the Movie. There were more but I can't really remember them all.
Suffice to say that SciFi had a much better programming list in the 90's than it does today, but I also realize that Anime is niche and doesn't draw ratings.
As far as WWE is concerned, well... I can't say much because I love it in all of its cheesy scripted male soap opera-ness. I made a promise to my great-grandfather when he was on his deathbed to watch pro-wrestling whenever I could and held true to that promise. It gives me a window to enjoy past times with a man I highly respected and loved, and I have a lot of respect for those guys having wrestled in backyard and indy promotions in my youth. It might be "scripted" but it takes athleticism, talent for ad-libbing on the mic during promo's and a lot of body language and crowd control techniques. One might think they're all steroid using freaks but in reality they do employ heavy drug-testing policies and also offer to help any/all previous employees with drug/alcohol addiction by paying in full for rehab. WWE also has a great initiative to raise awareness for anti-bullying with their Be A STAR program, have granted more Wishes for Make-A-Wish Foundation and are a huge morale boost for all US soldiers (any current servicemen can get free tickets to any of their shows). Also these guys and gals are amazing athletes and hard workers. 300+ days on the road doing house shows and 3-4 televised or streamed shows/PPV's isn't easy. RAW itself is coming up on their 1000th episode, currently holding the record for longest running TV series EVER. Plus (even though I could care less about the bullshit that is Twitter) WWE tends to rule the Twit-space during their broadcasts/PPV's. All in all even if you don't like pro-wrestling, it would be wrong to denigrate these people and their hard work and success.

I think the single biggest letdown of a channel has to be G4. This station does not even try, and has not for years. Back when TechTV was still around there was a solid small collection of shows (of them, only Extended Play or X-Play survived).

Every single time I go to my friend who has cable and check it out it's "Cheaters" or "Cops" with an occasional "Ninja Warrior". Where is the technology and where are the video games? It does not even need to be expensive to add some content of some merit. I'd be glad to see couple people sit around and discuss the industry (trends, etc.) than Cops...

It is just depressing to see something that could have been great be so wasted and utterly pointless. Does anyone watch G4? Even its target audience?

SciFi was disappointing.
MTV was devastating.
Discovery Channel was desecration.

Father Time:
I was going to do a topic like this for your contest. Unfortunately I didn't have the time. So where'd you get the idea for it?

Someone suggested something similar, I think it was like, "tv channel that has stooped the lowest for ratings." we took that idea, and boiled it down to what we ended up going with.

Reason #1 that Sci-Fi changed to...what it changed to was this: poor literacy can be copyrighted.

Also, anyone who thinks Jersey Shore is representative of the people of the Garden State should be shot at dawn. In the genitals.

Darth_Payn:

medv4380:
Glad MTV won. Not only is it Disappointing, it is also a contagion. I blame it for the fall of the History Channel and The Learning Channel.

I agree that the History Channel's losing its way, what with Ancient Aliens, and Pawn Stars (which has some historical discussion, but that's stretching it), and the blue-collar working shows, but mind explaining how that's related to MTV's nosedive into suck?

The reality show contagion started with them with the Real World. From there things like Pawn Stars and Kate plus 8, and all the other toxic reality television started on MTV and just spread.

honestly i gotten to the point of i only watch shows on internet like kamen rider or super sentai or some other tokusatsu that is randomly out there. heck i even been re-watching some old anime from the 80s and 90s just to past time. but yes as a person that grew up with MTV and these other channels that have just turn to fail because network still think if one channel is doing it lets do it too attitude still works, which is why we have so many stupid pawn shows or other stupid reality shows like those retarded repo shows "don't get me started on those stupid things reality my butt" i feel they all have gone down the hole to the point of no return.

Syfy has its faults (original movies and ghost shows) but it still has some science fiction what with Eureka (ended on Monday but still), Warehouse 13, Lost Girl (I guess its more fantasy really), Haven, Sanctuary, and Alphas. Not all of it is great, but I'll be damned if I don't love Eureka and Warehouse 13. Alphas is pretty good too.

Firefilm:

Father Time:
I was going to do a topic like this for your contest. Unfortunately I didn't have the time. So where'd you get the idea for it?

Someone suggested something similar, I think it was like, "tv channel that has stooped the lowest for ratings." we took that idea, and boiled it down to what we ended up going with.

That was me.

Whatever happened to mtv, discovery, and history channel?
They used to be so awesome, i used to LEARN things from history channel and discovery. Godamit! Why can't we have nice things anymore?!

(awesome captcha: what is this word backwards: rorrim)

Alphas is the only good show of Syfy sense Eureka is done.

As awful as SyFy has become, it still brings me Eureka and Warehouse 13. If only for that it tops MTV. At least in my eyes.

As for just about everything else....well, I don't need to explain myself, do I?

I would add that History is quickly becoming the most disappointing channel, what with it's disgusting obsession with "dangerous" jobs, rednecks, monsters/ghosts/aliens, and eccentric item sales.

Discovery is starting to do the same too, sadly. I almost had my "last straw" when they advertised their new special "Mermaid: The Body Found".

I mean...really Discovery? Really?!

RJ 17:
I will say, though, that SyFy lost a LOT of points with me when they gave up MST3K over to Comedy Central. That was just the worst move they could have possibly pulled off.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's backwards. MST3K was on KTMA for a year, then moved to Comedy Central for 6 seasons before moving to SciFi. SciFi wanted the show to run arc plots during the host segment, but dropped the ball by showing episodes out of order.

Personally, I think SyFy's been the greater disappointment because it started off as little more than a re-run station and grew into something truly wonderful, funding and making its own shows and helping to renew shows that were being cancelled by other stations. Little by little, they've moved away from the premise of showing good science fiction and fantasy. ...And, really, the wound is a little fresher with SyFy. I don't think I've seen anything good on MTV since they stopped airing Sifl & Olly, so I'm pretty over that station.

Attercap:

RJ 17:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's backwards. MST3K was on KTMA for a year, then moved to Comedy Central for 6 seasons before moving to SciFi. SciFi wanted the show to run arc plots during the host segment, but dropped the ball by showing episodes out of order.

Yup. Sci-fi was MST3ks final resting place. I remember that day all to well. With that riff of horribly cheese 60s Italian movie. Couldn't have been a better movie to save for last.

And THAT is why Sci-fi was the most disappointing.

Father Time:

Firefilm:

Father Time:

That was me.

Well then I guess you are awesome and your ideas are awesome. Deal with that, I dare you.

As a counter to music videos, I submit to you Losing My Religion by R.E.M. and Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye.

Both of them are great songs but their music videos are pretentious weird and stupid. I think watching them is less enjoyable than listening to the song without them (not majorly so, but the difference is there).

See for yourself.

Firefilm:

Father Time:

Firefilm:

That was me.

Well then I guess you are awesome and your ideas are awesome. Deal with that, I dare you.

Hey man I'm not awesome, my mother told me I sucked. You're the one who's awesome. The nerve of this guy.

In all seriousness I'm glad you did it. I was planning on doing MTV vs. TLC. Never thought of doing Syfy but I didn't know they were airing wrestling.

Urameshi13:
Reason #1 that Sci-Fi changed to...what it changed to was this: poor literacy can be copyrighted.

I'm kind of surprised it took 3 pages for someone to mention this. The reason Sci-Fi changed its name is because of trademark/copyright (I always confuse the two) considerations. "Sci-Fi" as a brand would have been impossible for them to protect in court.

As others mentioned, SyFy may have some sucky programming, but at least they're still trying with shows like Warehouse 13 and Alphas (though I've never seen either), and their B-movies (if you include fantasy and horror into a "sci-fi" umbrella).

Another thing to consider is that it seems younger demographics have more disposable income then they did in the past, so you see a dumbing down of content as well. A really good example of this is Nickelodeon. Will we ever again see shows like "Rocco's Modern Life", "Ren and Stimpy", "The Adventures of Pete & Pete", or even "Invader Zim"? You have to go to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim for that kind of stuff now. Of course, maybe I'm just a bitter old guy.

You damn kids, stay off my lawn!

Remember when TLC stood for The Learning Channel now it is just shows about parents exploiting their children in pageants and dance competition and a bunch of shows that show how funny and weird people are in the southern states

SyFy still has Lost Girl. That's minus 3 points on it's own.

Okay, I'm probably going to light a fire with this but I have to say it.

MTV is doing what is has been doing since it started up all those years ago: Mocking popular culture. It takes that which is popular and runs it through a meat grinder, lampooning it so perfectly that we apparently can't tell that what we're watching is a parody anymore.

Think about it. Go back to the good old days of MTV and think about how it mercilessly attacked popular culture with its programming. When I think of MTV, my mind goes animated and Aeon Flux, Ren & Stimpy, and Beavis & Butthead come up. Satire of dystopia, satire of cartoons, satire of MTV. Yes folks, MTV didn't even take itself seriously.

MTV evolved as television has changed. The Real World (a show so fake, they had to give the title an antonym) came along to mock the reality show and with it came Flavor of Love (how do you mock reality-based dating? With Flavor Flav, of course), Jackass (because Candid Camera and its many incarnations needed to be shown where they'd wind up), and the program everyone loves to hate, Jersey Shore.

Look closely, everybody. You're being mocked. You're being shown parodies and exaggerations of people that are so incredibly bad that you can't help wincing and thinking, "This has to be real. There's no way someone would act that stupidly for pay."

They do. They are. And people lap it up because it makes them feel better about themselves. "My inlaws may be crazy, but they're not bat-shit insane like the folks on that show." "Okay, my girlfriend is demanding but she isn't Snooki." "Sure, my brother's an asshole but he ain't no Situation."

It's a script. It's a character. This is not reality; This is people taking the piss and being paid handsomely to do it. MTV has always done this. They did it with their first video, "Video Killed The Radio Star", and they've been doing it ever since. They're at the top of their game, continuing to cut down culture with big broad swipes, and are doing such a good job that other stations ape them in the hopes of earning the money and respect they have. Of course, it doesn't work because MTV doesn't take itself seriously and has the presence of mind to write a script for its shows.

The rest of television has no such excuse. One by one, channels have fallen prey to reality-based programming because it's cheap to make and because people like watching other people acting stupidly on television. Why spend millions on a series that might flop in a week when you can spend a few thousand putting a camera in a convenience store with an angry man behind the counter who will cheerfully insult everyone unfortunate enough to step in the front door? Even if the show flops, you'll still make money just by getting the thing to air. And if you get a hit? Cue large piles of money walking up to your door to ask you how you did it and if they can invest in it or in the next one.

Syfy managed to hold out as best they could, but making movies, even TV movies, is expensive. So they knuckled under and brought in wrestling, a nice solid cash cow that they can milk for years to come, and thirty-one flavours of paranormal reality television(dear gods, an oxymoronic pun). In that, I think Syfy came off as the more disappointing but, really, there wasn't much of a contest.

Syfy sold out like the rest of television. MTV sold out because what they've been selling has always leapt off the shelves and that's Satire: hot, fresh and often still bleeding around the edges.

Dissapointing? Discovery. Listen, it's still 100x better than the MTVs of the world, but oh my how it has fallen. It went from a channel that promoted learning, curiosity, science, etc to cheap reality tv garbage. 'Up next on Discovery, Ice Road King Crab Whale Trucks: Alaska'. Tsk tsk.

I love this show, it's among my favorite on The Escapist, but you should try to switch up your format for an episode or two. You can do a lot of interesting stuff with this show, like an entire debate which is just spit takes or each debater has 2:30 to debate their point uninterrupted. Another good idea might be to switch out the water for something more interesting to keep things fresh. Try to stray a bit out of the routine once in a while.

As for the debate itself, I agree that MTV is much bigger than SyFy (wow, that IS a stupid name) and that it kind of permeates into other channels.

They changed their name to SyFy because you can't copyright sci-fi.

Sci-Fi should have won for one reason:

cancelling

Mystery Science Theater 3000

"We'll ditch our highest viewership show because NBC executives don't get it."

Vigormortis:
Discovery is starting to do the same too, sadly. I almost had my "last straw" when they advertised their new special "Mermaid: The Body Found".

I mean...really Discovery? Really?!

Oh my god, my brother was glued to that one. So stupid. The Future is Wild and Alien Planet were cool and all, but crappy CG mermaids on handycam footage? that's just not even trying.

If I could nominate one channel that fell the furthest I might say The Disney Channel. Seriously, it was a premium channel once, scrambled and everything just like Playboy.

What did they show that was worth charging extra for? Cute movies from the 50's and 60's, that's power. Now, they are basically throwing knockoffs of Saved By The Bell at the public, hoping something sticks.

Also G4 was a lot better when it was TechTV. The Screensavers, Big Thinkers, Call For Help was okay, even Robot Wars (sigh)

I'm almost ancient so I've seen the very first years of these networks, the height of their popularity and their decent into mediocrity. So I'm going to have to say Sci-Fi was the bigger let down.

M-TV has always been hostage to what is popular with the pre-teen to teen movement of the moment. My parents and their generation found M-TV just as pointless and stupid as post-teen adults do today. The saving grace for M-TV was that some insanely talented acts put out some well made videos and M-TV was the only place to see them. Now music videos can be found all sorts of places so M-TV isn't really needed for music as it once was.

Science fiction, now that's a fairly rare breed. The geeks might have inherited the Earth and superhero movies might make more money than some nations, but it hasn't translated into a great wealth of sci-fi and fantasy TV shows. We still need a place that can gather 24/7 geekdom under one TV station.

The problem is one that is seen time and time again. A network will start out with a shoe string budget but people who are passionate as hell over music, science fiction, history, cartoons, or video games. With limited resources these passionate people will find a way to put out some fantastic stuff. But when things look profitable the parent company will gut the network in the hopes of making something so bland and generic that it will appeal to everyone. When that fails the station becomes cheap reality TV and cheap re-runs.

Honestly it's gotten to the point where there are just not enough new and interesting TV shows for me to have cable. Too many nights each week I couldn't find anything new on worth watching on any of the cable channels.

Professor James:
If they ever revisit this one, I think we can almost all agree that it should be cartoon network vs G4TV. I think this matchup will be even closer since probably more people watched cartoon network but it seems like g4tv had a bigger fall.

Cartoon Network wouldn't work because there are plenty of people here and across the web that seems to enjoy shows like Regular and Adventure Time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here