Escape to the Movies: The Dark Knight Rises

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

The Dark Knight Rises

MovieBob gives us a spoiler-free review of The Dark Knight Rises.

Watch Video

Unsuprised. Trilogies almost never end well

Well at least they tried.

I was worried that it would stack up poorly against Avengers, but then I remembered that these films have basically been in a separate plane of existence compared to other blockbuster superhero films around it. Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?

I think the problem is less that they don't stack up well when compared, and more that they can't be compared. Dark Knight Rises is almost noir-lite; a gritty, muddy, dark and morally grey film, while Avengers snaps, crackles, and pops with colour, fun, humour and variety. There is no comparison! And Dark Knight Rises just could not live up to that. Not that it was trying, but I honestly believe drawing such comparisons just are not fair because they're incomparable.

Fucking called it. I and have been saying for a long time that its going to be a disappointment that doesn't live up to the previous two movies. I figured it would be good, jut not a satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy.

I didn't expect it to top The Dark Knight but I did expect it to be better than Batman Begins. But of course, this is Bob's opinion not mine. I'll decide how good I think it is when I see it.

We all knew it was impossible for it to live up to expectations. Maybe if they'd used the Riddler and Catwoman as antagonists... but Bane just doesn't come off as a top-tier Batman villain. Bottom line, they were never going to top Heath Ledger as the Joker.

I think it would have been foolish of anyone to expect this to live up to or exceed The Dark Knight. It was never going to happen. This is the unfortunate stigma that TDKR has to live with. This is pretty much what I expected and I'm definitely still going to see it. If only because I have a man-crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

It is unfortunate to hear that Bane doesn't work, If they had modeled Bane better, more after the comics, then I think it would be a much better movie. Villains are what makes Batman, clearly this is why Begins/TDK worked so much better, Hardy's Bane has no chance when stacked against Ledger's Joker and Neeson's Ra's al Ghul.

I think the Riddler would have been a much better villain...and JGL would have nailed the shit out of Edward Nigma.

What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?

It sounds interesting that he doesn't spend much time as Bat-Man, personally I always found him to be the least interesting parts of the movies, but I still like Bruce Wayne. Still it does sound like its a fun movie, and after all the pressure thats on this film, thats a pretty good result.

Plus as a very petty victory, yay Avengers topped it! :P (Thats actually something that I think was a little odd in the trailers, I kinda assumed that avengers was the most anticipated film of the year, just because its taken 5 films to get there.)

This is why I was more excited for The Avengers as there I was expecting something new (being something of a high budget experiment). In this case is was a typical example of interest (or lack of) with trilogies. Funnily enough this happens with video games most of the time but it basically goes like this:

First: What a surprise, that was good!
Second: Even better, this series is really good.
Third: I already know it's good so I can't get pumped any longer.

I'll be seeing this film tomorrow, mid day (less people hopefully) and I'll most likely enjoy it. Anne Hathaway despite the praise is my most critical point of interest being a legitimate Catwoman fan.

"Poorly paced"

Like all of them? With Batman Begins, I swear I accidentally skipped parts at the beginning because of it's pacing.

Thing I've noticed about Nolan, he sometimes has a hard time with pacing and making things over complicated as you mentioned. I thought Inception was good, but it was needlessly complicated, spending waaaaaay too much time explaining things. He also has a tendency to make things longer than they have too. I felt that Dark Knight dragged on a tad too long and could have done with being maybe 30 minutes shorter.

On that note, I'll be seeing this movie at midnight tonight. Not because I'm a Batman fan, because I'm definitely not, but so that:

1. The end of the trilogy
2. My criticism can be justified, because I hate it when people will rag on something they've never seen.

Edit: Now that I've actually seen it, all I have to say is disappointing. Again, it's poorly paced and etc like Bob said, I also found it to be way too long and needlessly complicated again. I was bored most of the movie. Bane's voice comes off as just obnoxious, and the character as a whole and the rest of the film is just predictable.

Before the film came out I told everyone at work what my predictions were for the formula for the movie.

Brood, villain doing something, brood, villain doing more of something, Brood, fight villain and

brood, final showdown. And that's basically how it went down.

On it's own, I would have to say that it's not that good a movie. Taking it into consideration that it's the final part of a trilogy, it's decent.

I haven't even seen the movie, but I pretty much expected what you said and I agree they probably should have stopped at the second one.

The Dark Knight was SO good and honestly, I actually planned not to see it SPECIFICALLY because it was so good. There was no way they could follow up on it.

On another note, Escape to the Movies a day early? This is a treat. Thank you Movie Bob.

So Bob lauds everything but one thing so that means it'll be good.

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Got you figured, Bob-O, got you figured. :D

Worse than the Avengers? Nah, can't be worse than the Avengers; that movie was just terrible. Most disappointing movie of 2012 so far. Suppose I'll see in a week or two.

So basically "this is a review of a movie you can't even see yet and I can't say my opinion on it without spoiling things"

...well this video is skipped, not the first time.

I liked Avengers and all but it was in no way as good as everyone says. It was a good 7.5/10 area movie and realistically for what it is, it is nearly impossible to be better than that. With so many characters nobody can really get any focus and therefore grow as a character. The story was also incredibly straight forward with no really surprises or shock. The reason I say all this is mostly because I have a hard time seeing batman as worse than avengers but still a great movie that was only a bit of a let down. If it is as good as Avengers sure that is cool. If it is better I can see it happening. If it is worse however I have a hard time imagining it not getting flaming terrible reviews all over the place as it would be much more noticeable in this movie than the Avengers.

I dunno I guess I will see for myself later this week I really cannot judge anything till I have seen it and dissected it shot by shot for myself.

Yeah, this review, beat for beat, is exactly what I expected it to be from moment one.

Now the movie, on the other hand, I shall see for myself this Sunday and judge from there.

Inkidu:

If he totally loves it, it's probably not that great (if not worse). Read Sucker Punch.
If he totally hates it there's a good chance that it's better than it is. Read Amazing Spider-Man.

Dude... you got to give this eqaution a name, its that good.

Andy of Comix Inc:
Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6003-Untangling-Spider-Man

Cheesebob:
What other A list non-ridiculous Batman villians could you have instead of 'Bane' though?

Victor Zsasz would be a cool villain, especially since he had a cameo in Batman Begins.

Anyways, with this trilogy ending, does this mean that Warner Brothers will finally greenlight Paul Dini's Batman Beyond script?

I haven't watched the review yet, I'll save it for tomorrow after I've seen the movie.

But speaking of that, shouldn't this review have been posted tomorrow?

Inkidu:

I despise MovieBob. I hate him a video game critic, have no respect for him as a film critic, and loathe him as a person. But Sucker Punch was a decent movie. Monumentally depressing, devoid of character development, but a good movie.

captcha: SKYNET WATCHES...

...what the... fuck...

I'm actually kinda relieved, if Nolan had tried to top the Dark Knight we may have been left with something horrible. While I'm upset that we don't get the no holds barred, blow the doors off film of the decade, at least we'll get a decent movie that can gracefully put this trilogy to rest. We all knew deep down that DK was always going to be the best, Rises wouldn't live up to it, even if it was better we still would have wanted more.

I'm just glad that it is good and that's enough for me.

Q

MovieBob:
The Dark Knight Rises

MovieBob gives us a spoiler-free review of The Dark Knight Rises.

Watch Video

Question Moviebob: When did you become a member of the Boston Online Film Critics Association? Also what kind of responsibilities does that entitle? Do you get to participate in voting for say award shows or be invited to attend said award shows?

I am disappoint. But not surprise.
Odd that despite giving her cat ears, they don't call her Catwoman.

Also, I think my captcha wants to eat some ice cream; unfortunately, it has no spoon.

Interesting that they dont call her cat woman

Hoorah for having 2 ending tidbits for us again.

I didn't like The Avengers, and this apparently isn't as good according to Bob so that means this is most likely gonna be very disappointing for me. Luckily I don't get hyped up over films anymore so this is no big deal and will still go see it without high expectations.

I have to agree with the "it probably shouldn't be compared to The Avengers anyway" crowd. Despite both movies originating in the word of comic books, they really are totally different types of films. The Avengers was very well crafted popcorn fun. DKR, and the rest of the trilogy, aren't really about popcorn fun at all. Note that I'm not saying DKR is a great movie or that it is or isn't better than either it's preceding titles or The Avengers, it's just that it was never trying to be the same sort of movie that Avengers is/was. I would think a comic book junkie like Bob would have made note of that given that he, probably more than most people, likely knows that just because something is in comic book form doesn't mean everything in that form is the same.

Anyway, solid review. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie myself probably next weekend.

Oh, and as to the pacing, that's been a consistent problem in the series if not to all of Nolan's work. I just recently rewatched Begins and was brought back to how poorly constructed the movie is in terms of it's pacing. It's also the reason why I haven't gone back to Dark Knight despite really liking the movie on my initial viewing. I absolutely loved the constituent parts but just don't have any desire to sit through it again because of how it's put together.

I was not expecting TDKR to beat TDK, but it good to know it still a good movie on it own. I will be seeing this on Friday.

I actually thought Anne Hathaway was pretty flat as Catwoman. There isn't a lot of good character development for her and it really showed. Also a lot of things flat out didn't make sense.

SPOILER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING

END SPOLIERS

I have had a feeling for a while now that this would be a huge flop. Commercially and critically. The recent Marvel films have taken the grit out of comic book films and put the fun back in. That's the main reason I had, Batman's dark tone just doesn't fit in anymore.

And I didn't think this film even needed to exist and from what I heard about it (and I tried to avoid everything I could, which was hard) it just didn't seem like it was going to be a good story. They really fucked up by not continuing on the story from the Dark Knight, instead of that 8 year gap.

It really had too much riding on it and I am disappointed to have been right it seems. But I'll have to wait to see it before I really call anything, but I'm not going to bother going to the cinema to see it.

Cheesebob:

Hush. He's a great character for Batman, but seeing as he would have had to been worked in Batman Begins I guess he wouldn't be a good choice. Hugo Strange would have been interesting, or if Nolan wanted to do interesting shifts of reality in a pseudo mode of Inception he could have used The Mad Hatter. Personally I don't think Deadshot or Zasz would have really worked well, but that's just me.
Now since Bane "may have or have not" have had connections with the League of Assassins from the first movie, why not ditch Bane and go for Talia al Ghul instead? Shit, she was a serious pain in both Batman and Bruce Wayne's life for a while there. Maybe she would have fared better as a central villain, or as a secondary like Two Face was in The Dark Knight.

Hey Bob, if you read this, can I get your thoughts on it?

Soviet Heavy:

Andy of Comix Inc:
Would you ever compare Begins to Spider-Man?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6003-Untangling-Spider-Man

You seem to misunderstand me. I mean Spider-Man as in Spider-Man, the film. Not The Amazing Spider-Man, which is a different film. It's okay. It's an easy mistake to make. Except one proves my point and the other exasperates it...

Cheesebob:

Black Mask could work, or a Red Hood character. Riddler was the obvious choice that I still think would of been interesting to go with. The Penguin as more of a concept than the cartoon version.

Though none really match up to the Joker. The only character I can think of that can really REALLY disarm the Batman is a character that appears in Kevin Smith's "Widening Gyre". But that's a little to ethnocentric.

Frank_Sinatra_:

Cheesebob:

Hush. He's a great character for Batman, but seeing as he would have had to been worked in Batman Begins I guess he wouldn't be a good choice. Hugo Strange would have been interesting, or if Nolan wanted to do interesting shifts of reality in a pseudo mode of Inception he could have used The Mad Hatter. Personally I don't think Deadshot or Zasz would have really worked well, but that's just me.
Now since Bane "may have or have not" have had connections with the League of Assassins from the first movie, why not ditch Band and go for Talia al Ghul instead? Shit, she was a serious pain in both Batman and Bruce Wayne's life for a while there. Maybe she would have fared better as a central villain, or as a secondary like Two Face was in The Dark Knight.

Hey Bob, if you read this, can I get your thoughts on it?

I heard that Robin Williams was in consideration for the role of Hugo Strange early on in production.

And instead of Talia al Ghul, they should have brought back Raas al Ghul(is that how it's spelt?) like there was rumours about for so long, he's immortal in the comics anyway. But maybe that was a bit far-fetched to the Nolan films, and it would have tied the film to Batman Begins instead of being the stand alone film that it is.
[alot of speculation in this post as I haven't seen the film, maybe Raas is in it, Bob did mention special Cameos did he not?]

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)