The Big Picture: Worlds Within Worlds

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Worlds Within Worlds

That show you like doesn't really exist.

Watch Video

My mind!

It's been blown!

Some people have too much time on their hands :D

Dear Moviebob

You watch too much TV.

I think I can only say "We need to go deeper."

That blew my mind and confused me.

Uh, yeah, Welcome to the internet!

Holy shit
the funny thing is I once made a similar chart connecting Video games, Movie, TV, Literature, Comics and several other universe.
It got so massive that it took over ten sheets of printer paper to map it out.

Everything is connected and everything is cannon

Now we just need an Infinite Crisis for EVERYTHING.

Eerie, Indiana? Wow... that came out of left field.

Ohhhh! So that where that joke that it's all created by an autism person came from! Also man Tomy has one hell of imagation if he apparently created all that.

Of Course all TV shows arn't Real! They're TV Shows!

Am I a bad person if that didn't really blow my mind? It's not too surprising that you can link loads of TV programmes together via actors and pop culture references.

Also yes, apparently lots of people have waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands :P

Well, now I'm just interested in more of McDuffie's point about how comics continuity is too rigid and what should be done about it. Okay, what Aquaman does might make meaningless an old Sandman issue, but why is that a bad thing, and what did he propose instead?

SOMEONE!!!! has way too much time and old shows on his hands

Mortamus:

Nah, we can take care of this the easy way.

My head, it hurts....
I really would like to see where he was going with this in terms of comics' continuity. Next episode I suppose?

Super Hero Static Shock, woo woo!

But... Twin Peaks does exist, right? ;_;

ANImaniac89:
Holy shit
the funny thing is I once made a similar chart connecting Video games, Movie, TV, Literature, Comics and several other universe.
It got so massive that it took over ten sheets of printer paper to map it out.

Everything is connected and everything is cannon

But since it was just in his head it can't be cannon.

Can it?

Obligatory Inception image:

OT:... actually I have nothing to possibly say, as my mind is reeling from all that still.

Well the thing is, with Comic book publishers there's usually a preset limit on how much you have to connect.

But when it comes to the connects in the Tommy Westphall Universe: Nothing ever ends.

That was pretty damn awesome. I looked up the site and was surprised to find The A-Team or Columbo do not fall in Westphall's Mind. I haven't done extensive reason, nor have I seen all of the episodes, but you'd think that with how long those series ran, that they'd have some crossovers at some point.

Mortamus:

Surely we'd need to start with Crisis on Infinite Shows. At the very least it'd give TV networks an excuse to do nothing but reboots of old shows. Then we can watch people argue over the internet as to whether or not the pre-crisis Alf was superior to the ludicrous post-crisis retcon, or is the new Fresh Prince's origin story really that fresh?

er de da er my head hurts!

moviebob, where do you find these things!

mrblakemiller:
Well, now I'm just interested in more of McDuffie's point about how comics continuity is too rigid and what should be done about it. Okay, what Aquaman does might make meaningless an old Sandman issue, but why is that a bad thing, and what did he propose instead?

Reading McDuffie's original essay, I think his point is basically "relax--don't flip about over minor deviations from established canon if the result is a good story." So in your example, if someone wrote a great Aquaman/Sandman crossover that maybe contradicted some minor thing established in an earlier story, then cut them a little slack.

That actually did blow my mind. Wow. Since some of these series had video games, comics, and films based on them, I wonder how far we can go if we include those in the Tommy Westphall universe.

There is only one logical conclusion, Westfall is God.

Goddamn, that is mind blowing. If I ever find myself working in and maybe even creating television in the future, every show I create will be the product of Tommy Westphall's imagination.

Oh dear, I think I've gone cross-eyed...

So... what about that Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where they insinuated that maybe the entire show was took place inside the head of a girl locked inside a mental institution? That's some Inception sh*t right there ^^

Also, somewhat related. This is partially why I'm not too bummed over the rights to X-Men not reverting back to Marvel any time soon. Being part of the larger continuity always kind of undermined the whole idea of that franchise.

I, for one, welcome our new imaginative overlord.

From the Simpsons into Family Guy, and then thanks to Seth MacFarlane and his shameless inability to innovate, EVERYTHING THAT WAS EVER IN THE MEDIA EVER INCLUDING THE INTERNET. Done.

Aliens...
Star Trek...
Doctor Who...

Christ, that kid has one of a imagination...

As entertaining as it is, the connections get a little... flawed... after a while.

I mean, you might as well say that St. Elsewhere takes place in Boston, therefore any show, book, or media that includes Boston is part of Tommy Westphall's imagination.

In fact, since Boston exists in our world, I assume that anything that takes place in our world or references it is part of Tommy Westphall's imagination. Two degrees of seperation for every piece of media based around Earth, problem solved.

Here's a creepy thought: The Mythbusters did a cameo on an episode of CSI. Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman are real people. Ergo, we are also imaginary.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here