Zero Punctuation: Inversion

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Inversion

This week, after the surprise of Spec Ops: The Line, Inversion has us back to being able to judge a game by the cover.

Watch Video

I really hated this game. I thought it was going to be a unique gem after the TomSka video but it just became another repugnant shooter. Anyway, thanks for your input Yahtzee.

Be ye video game? or be ye checklist?

That's going on my imaginary list of "best things Yahtzee said".

Maybe it's called Inversion because Russel Davis/Davis Russel's favorite desert is Upside Down cake?

Ha! That ending really got me!

Anyway, does anyone mind spoiling that plot twist for me? (In tags, natch.) I mean, after that, it's not like I was going to play it anyway.

EDIT: never mind, I found out and it makes sense.

If you want spoilers, go to this forum.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/977455-inversion/63049549

I'm surprise he didn't talk about the crazy plot twist near the end of the game that turns the whole game into a giant MINDFUCK!!!!!!!

I hate it when a game promises you Cadbury creme eggs and then doesn't deliver. Not even those mini creme eggs. Damnit.

Did we just get Fresh Prince'd by Yahtzee?

It's gotta be Russel Davis. And maybe it's actually about the writer/producer of Torchwood and the whole game is what goes on inside his head.

If the fact that a game has guns in it makes me reconsider a purchase, there's too damn many shooters in the market :/

Fresh Prince is timeless!

Hmmm..Prince of Bel-Air: Sands of Time.

Sorry, trying to think of something better than a boilerplate shooter.

And you'd like to take a minute just sit right there to tell us how you became the prince of a town called Bel-Air?

then youre grinding up the model airplane components to help beef up the glue.

charliesbass:
I really hated this game. I thought it was going to be a unique gem after the TomSka video but it just became another repugnant shooter. Anyway, thanks for your input Yahtzee.

Wait there was a Tomska video about this game? When was this?

To quote Lord Humongous:

"Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror."

trollpwner:

Anyway, does anyone mind spoiling that plot twist for me? (In tags, natch.) I mean, after that, it's not like I was going to play it anyway.

That's a bit like Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom then, but in that game you can start figuring out the twist by the end of the first "generation".

The only thing I'd ever seen about this game was the cover art. I guess it was one of those games that the publisher was embarrassed by. Who was the publisher anyway? And no, I'm not going to Google it, because I don't really care.

On another note, Fresh Prince: The Game. Somebody make that right now.

I think this was released during E3. You can definitely tell that the publisher just wanted to get this out there without anyone noticing.

Zachary Amaranth:
Fresh Prince is timeless!

Hmmm..Prince of Bel-Air: Sands of Time.

Sorry, trying to think of something better than a boilerplate shooter.

I wanto play that NOW. Get on it, Ubisoft!

The V Man:
To quote Lord Humongous:

"Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror."

But what then will Yahtzee gripe about? Good to see him back spewing his hate bile on cliche'ed malarkey.

So they basically borrowed one mechanic from Half-Life 2, another from Prey, didn't implement either one very well, and called it a day?

Falseprophet:

trollpwner:

That's a bit like Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom then, but in that game you can start figuring out the twist by the end of the first "generation".

It's remarkably similar to Phantasy Star III. But yes, in PSIII there was some foreshadowing before the big reveal at the end. Wasn't there a village in the second generation where elders told the whole story? I'm not quite sure. I'm surprised anyone remembers PSIII.

It's sort of like

but without the gripping plot and amazing visuals and proper use of super powers.

So, boring.

There's only one thing worse than a game that rips off elements form elements from other games and that's when they do it all wrong.

...and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Brisbane.

In Rugby 'wickshire born and raised in my bedroom I would spend most of my days. Shootin' all clickin' all and relaxing all cool when my parents they were up to no good! Started making trouble for my neighborhood! I stopped getting dinner and that made it abundantly clear I said "I'm moving by myself in Australia, Brisbane."

I booked on a jet and when it came near I thought what's with this is a giantic falick with straight veins! If anything I could say that this plane was bland but I thought man forget it yo home to Brisbane!

I pulled up to a house with major jet lag and said yo pops, smell ya later! I looked at the internet I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of The Escapist.

(I tried)

Wow, that Fresh Prince joke caught me off guard!

Yet another dreary, soulless shooter to avoid then? Yawn. I think this year's E has shown us all the games we really should pay attention to.

For some reason, the gravity mechanic described here makes me think back to Destroy All Humans, and the psychokinesis power. God, I want to play that game again now. That's how such a power should be implemented. I remember bouncing enemies off every solid surface I could find, or if I was outside, flinging them high into the air before blasting them with the desintegrator ray to see if I could vapourise them before they hit the ground. Ah, good times.

Oh, and the time I beat a government agent to death with a cow. That was fun too.

This just in: Generic Game is a Generic Pile of Generic Crap.

It's a Namco Bandai title. I'm almost not surprised.

Random berk:
For some reason, the gravity mechanic described here makes me think back to Destroy All Humans, and the psychokinesis power. God, I want to play that game again now. That's how such a power should be implemented. I remember bouncing enemies off every solid surface I could find, or if I was outside, flinging them high into the air before blasting them with the desintegrator ray to see if I could vapourise them before they hit the ground. Ah, good times.

Oh, and the time I beat a government agent to death with a cow. That was fun too.

What I enjoyed doing was placing the farmer' wife on the roof of a shed next to a lake while she was still alive, then jumping up to have her scream "MY GOLLY, LITTLE GREEN MEN!!!" and run in the opposite direction, only to forget that there was a lake there, drop off the building and drown.
Fun times.

OT: So they just took that one gravity shift thing from PREY, except took out the acid launching shotguns and implemented cover, as well as a physics gun of sorts that has lost almost all efficiency?
*insert snoring sounds*

Once again, ideas from Half Life 2 are used horribly wrong.

tautologico:

Falseprophet:

trollpwner:

It's remarkably similar to Phantasy Star III. But yes, in PSIII there was some foreshadowing before the big reveal at the end. Wasn't there a village in the second generation where elders told the whole story? I'm not quite sure. I'm surprised anyone remembers PSIII.

Time to pull out the Genesis and dust off those cartridges.

And i even believed that it might be good after watching some scripted gameplay footage, what a fool i was.

We need a fresh prince game, like right now.

daxterx2005:
We need a fresh prince game, like right now.

There could be a minigame of seeing how far you can throw Jazz out the door!

This is why I watch this show, in order to find out whether or not I'll like the games. Problem is, half the time I just don't buy the games he reviews and just pick up whatever cutesy XBLA game is cheapest. Like for instance, I'm playing Minecraft. And that's about it.

I don't know why but beefing up glue sounds great!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here