Miracle of Sound: Hengsha (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hengsha (Deus Ex: Human Revolution)

Dark streets and whispers cold.

Watch Video

the opening sounds a bit like something from a horror game, not an action game not dues ex...

also this was oddly more of an instrumental song today.

Another one without much lyrics? Not that I have a problem with it, but it seems that your songs are getting less and less lyrics.
Oh well, it's probably just a coincidence, since I highly doubt that a person such as you, Gav, would be running out of lyrics.
Anyway, another great song. Thanks.
Also, I keep hearing the melody from "The New Black Gold". Is it on purpose or just a coincidence?

You continue to show that you have a knack for writing instrumentals. That said, the lyrics came in for their 1 part and I was reminded of The New Black Gold, not that I'm complaining as its still one of my favorite songs.

Awesome song, very electro house feel that definitely fit the game. Awesome all around, and you continue to show us that there is no genre you won't venture into.

The last scene reminded me of the deadly AC unit or whatever that was from the movie The Rock. I may have to try dropping things on guys now. I wonder if the Devs left any unbolted down pianos lying about...

Good stuff. Not as good as new black gold, but that hardly means it's bad.
Would have liked more singing though. I really love your layered style, it's so unique and awesome :D! But branching off every now and again is still good.

VeryOddGamer:
Another one without much lyrics? Not that I have a problem with it, but it seems that your songs are getting less and less lyrics.
Oh well, it's probably just a coincidence, since I highly doubt that a person such as you, Gav, would be running out of lyrics.
Also, I keep hearing the melody from "The New Black Gold". Is it on purpose or just a coincidence?

Actually, I'd say that most of the songs from Level 2 have been a lot more varied and complex lyrically than a lot of the songs in level 1 (eg, compare Mind of the Bat with Joker's Song, Sovngarde Song with Khajiit Like to Sneak, or Brothers of the Creed with Shadows in the Moonlight), so I'd say a few lyricless songs are fair trade-off (especially since they're still damned good songs).

I quite liked this one, really reflects the difference in atmosphere between Hengsha and Detroit (if New Black Gold stands in for Detroit). Also, maybe it was because I was so wowed by the leaked beta and played the hell out of it, but I thought that when you left Detroit for the first time it kind of marked the point where the game started reducing the number of choices you had, which matches the reduced number of lyrics compared to NBG.

A little short and light on lyrics but that's not bad or anything. Like what GeneralTwinkle said, would have liked more singing, you have a knack for lyrics but I understand if you gotta give your voice some time off.

Overal great song and glad to see you keep things shaken up like you do.

dalek sec:
A little short and light on lyrics but that's not bad or anything.

GeneralTwinkle:
Would have liked more singing though. I really love your layered style, it's so unique and awesome :D! .

phoenixbeast:
That said, the lyrics came in for their 1 part and I was reminded of The New Black Gold, not that I'm complaining as its still one of my favorite songs.

VeryOddGamer:

You know, with how well the particular criticisms people have of this song match up with the criticisms people had of Hengsha, I can't help but feel it might have been intentional, ala the disjointed feel of You Died, the dissonant music styles of Zombie Holiday, or the cluttered end of Shadows in the Moonlight.

SirCannonFodder:

dalek sec:
A little short and light on lyrics but that's not bad or anything.

GeneralTwinkle:
Would have liked more singing though. I really love your layered style, it's so unique and awesome :D! .

phoenixbeast:
That said, the lyrics came in for their 1 part and I was reminded of The New Black Gold, not that I'm complaining as its still one of my favorite songs.

VeryOddGamer:

You know, with how well the particular criticisms people have of this song match up with the criticisms people had of Hengsha, I can't help but feel it might have been intentional, ala the disjointed feel of You Died, the dissonant music styles of Zombie Holiday, or the cluttered end of Shadows in the Moonlight.

People... people criticised hengsha?
But that was the best place in the whole game! It was a little hard to find your way around, but that just added to the overall feel of it.
What were the criticisms?

Looks like Gav is starting to move more and more into prog territory. Now all we have to do is wait for him to make a 3 minute song with a 10 minute breakdown followed by a two minute song. (Now I must go listen to King Crimson)

And another awesome song! Love the little reference to The New Black Gold with the vocal melody.

Nice thematic callback. :)

While not a big fan of the techno-ic music style, I liked the self-referential thing you did in there in the middle.

Eh, not really my thing. There's a nice Asian sound of it though, and I loved the callback to Black Gold.

GeneralTwinkle:

People... people criticised hengsha?
But that was the best place in the whole game! It was a little hard to find your way around, but that just added to the overall feel of it.
What were the criticisms?

From what I remember, that it was too short, wasn't as explorable as Honk Kong or Detroit, and wasn't as different from Detroit as Hong Kong was from New York.

So...can we get an Okami song now? ._. Pleeeaaaaase.

I like the Deus ex stuff, but i feel it didn't really need a second song. Black gold did the game justice on it's own. While i understand Mass Effect getting multiples, that made sense because there were a lot of things going on with it. To give another example, Red dead Redemption doesnt need another song despite the it being my favorite one.

My point being, if we are going to get songs for games that have been out for a while now, can we get songs for different older games that don't already have a song for them.

Here's hoping for Okami and Shadow of the Colossus! :D

Your song have been feeling a bit experimental lately. Are you trying to tell us something, Gav?

This is probably my favourite song you have done all year, I do love electronica so this was right up my alley. :)

It's nice to see you branch out and do stuff that's not as lyric-heavy as you usually are. This is some damn fine electronica.

cricket chirps:
Shadow of the Colossus! :D

Mother of God, yes. Please listen to him, Gav. Shadow of the Colossus has one of the most epic, emotional game soundtracks ever, and a song inspired by it would be perfect to cap off this new trend of yours.

It's nice but I still prefer A New Black Gold. The lyrics in that song just spoke to that games atmosphere and the whole Augment crisis. It really grabbed you. I might just not like this song because I'm not the biggest fan of instrumentals.

The instrumentals are nice, but dammit Gav, we want to hear your sexy voice more D:

Very Deus Ex, very Hengsha.
Freakin' luv it.

A song about Deus Ex:HR and it's awesome? HELL YEAH! :D

It does fit Hengsha really well considering how that place is in the game, and the bit after the credits make me laugh. Oh the shenanigans that were pulled in that game!

Now I really want to play it again...

I was really surprised at how much you managed to cram into so little song-time, as it this song has so many different aspects of the game, including Chinese aesthetics, a subtle quiet with underlying menace, a sweeping piano accompaniment which captured the breadth and epic scope explored by the game, and a fast paced techno beat for the up-close franticness of some of the combat. The lyrics work well as a nice nod to New Black Gold, but I love that you've done an instrumental for this, as the game really does ask for an atmospheric and great song, like 'Beauty Bleak' for Fallout 3. I will no doubt be obsessed with this song for the next fortnight.

SirCannonFodder:
Actually, I'd say that most of the songs from Level 2 have been a lot more varied and complex lyrically than a lot of the songs in level 1 (eg, compare Mind of the Bat with Joker's Song, Sovngarde Song with Khajiit Like to Sneak, or Brothers of the Creed with Shadows in the Moonlight), so I'd say a few lyricless songs are fair trade-off (especially since they're still damned good songs).

You hit the nail on the head there. This year I'm trying to focus on the quality over the quantity as my lyrics got a fair bit of criticism last year. Lyrics are the hardest part of writing the songs for me. There will definitely be more instrumental work in the future so that I have time to make the ones with lyrics really good :)

RTR:
Your song have been feeling a bit experimental lately. Are you trying to tell us something, Gav?

If by 'tell us something' you mean 'listened to a bunch of people who felt I didn't experiment enough' then yep, you're right :D

Nice instrumental song. The few lyrics there were sort of came out of the blue for me, since I don't usually look at the lyrics before watching the video. But, yeah, that was nice.

Cool song.

Good with the instrumental. Dark, eerie, not predictable. I'm not a huge fan of techno, but this had enough hook without the bass drum being annoying.

Not sure about the light vocals part, didn't seem to fit. I would actually recommend more effects on the voice to sound more robotic/tech heavy for the few lines.

Also: Anything with a sitar gets bonus points!

Keep up the good work sir.

lax4life:
Looks like Gav is starting to move more and more into prog territory. Now all we have to do is wait for him to make a 3 minute song with a 10 minute breakdown followed by a two minute song. (Now I must go listen to King Crimson)

You sir, are a genius! You also have great taste in music, and hopefully just had a glimpse into the near future.

VeryOddGamer:

I thought I heard that bit from "New Black Gold!" A little odd he's doing mostly instumental now, isn't it?

Fiz_The_Toaster:

It does fit Hengsha really well considering how that place is in the game, and the bit after the credits make me laugh. Oh the shenanigans that were pulled in that game!

Hey now, New Black Gold was great!

Darth_Payn:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Hey now, New Black Gold was great!

Wait, no!

I didn't mean it as it's a bad thing, I really liked New Black Gold! D:

OH GOD, I'M SORRY GAV!

Why is it that any songs about DE:HR that you do turn into gold? First the new black gold (Which inspired me to get PubClub; see my custom forum text!) and now this! Keep up the great work!

PureIrony:
It's nice to see you branch out and do stuff that's not as lyric-heavy as you usually are. This is some damn fine electronica.

cricket chirps:
Shadow of the Colossus! :D

Mother of God, yes. Please listen to him, Gav. Shadow of the Colossus has one of the most epic, emotional game soundtracks ever, and a song inspired by it would be perfect to cap off this new trend of yours.

He has a very good point if you're planning on doing another song that is heavy on the instrumental side and less on lyrics. It would fit well with either of my previous reccomendations ^^'

doggie015:
Why is it that any songs about DE:HR that you do turn into gold? First the new black gold (Which inspired me to get PubClub; see my custom forum text!) and now this! Keep up the great work!

And you sire may never post again. You have "999" posts.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here