GinxTV: Assassin's Creed 3 Preview

Assassin's Creed 3 Preview

Take a good long look at the upcoming Assassin's Creed.

Watch Video

I'm sincerely going to miss Assassin's Creed if this really is the final installment, while the multiplayer is not my favorite to play, the series is so much fun to play. I'm not really pysched about playing on a ship for some of the game but it looks interesting enough and should be fun sneaking aboard one and taking people out.

Those bits with naval battles do look quite awesome. Maybe it's time for some quality pirate game? Something about Sir Francis Drake, perhaps? Ey devs', what say you?

Ship Battles! Just what a good game needs to summon the NJROTC kid in me!

Call Me Jose:
I'm sincerely going to miss Assassin's Creed if this really is the final installment, while the multiplayer is not my favorite to play, the series is so much fun to play. I'm not really pysched about playing on a ship for some of the game but it looks interesting enough and should be fun sneaking aboard one and taking people out.

We know that it's the end of Desmond's story, but Ubisoft have said that they still have plans for the franchise beyond this game. We just need to wait and see what form that will take.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Call Me Jose:

We know that it's the end of Desmond's story, but Ubisoft have said that they still have plans for the franchise beyond this game. We just need to wait and see what form that will take.

The had some comics that the games could carry on the story of.

I'm willing to try this installment of Assassin's Creed as long as Ubisoft isn't going to give me a mountain of bullshit with the PC version. I liked AC2 but I grew tired of the other games because of Ezio.

whats this about multiple attackers at a time?

dangerous firing squads?

tactic?!

preposterous, AC baddies should line up for counter attacks like they're told, not actually be challenging because who wants to play THAT?

/angrily puffs pipe-smoke

Could be fun, although still far too much "Kill da Ebul Redcoats" going on. Didn't see a single rebel...excuse me, "patriot"...getting the ax. And all the tree branches in the world don't match parkour in the Colosseum or Sistine Chapel.

I love this series, so yeah, Ubi's got my dollar unless I hear it's flat out terrible. But honestly, they would have been far better off with the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars. That was where the real action during that time period was happening. Could you imagine a level set in the Notre Dame Cathedral during the Revolution?

Mouse One:
Could be fun, although still far too much "Kill da Ebul Redcoats" going on. Didn't see a single rebel...excuse me, "patriot"...getting the ax. And all the tree branches in the world don't match parkour in the Colosseum or Sistine Chapel.

I love this series, so yeah, Ubi's got my dollar unless I hear it's flat out terrible. But honestly, they would have been far better off with the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars. That was where the real action during that time period was happening. Could you imagine a level set in the Notre Dame Cathedral during the Revolution?

I was thinking that except there is a part where the assassin is jumping off a wall after a fleeing rebel officer. I'm sure we will have our share of killing Americans. Ubisoft has only been showing off Boston which was held by the British for most of the war so it makes sense that there haven't been much rebel killing, have faith.

Dear Escapist,

This was an advertisement, not a preview.

Sincerely,
Me

90sgamer:
Dear Escapist,

This was an advertisement, not a preview.

Sincerely,
Me

Welcome to gaming journalism. Praise a game, call it the best thing ever until it comes out. Then you can hate it.

If it is from EA, you must hate it or else you will be accused of bribery.

Colonial Wubs

That is all.

No its not.

I would probably be penalized if that was the case.

So here's more.

Scottish people must be flattered by this game, they are depicted as what appears to be the games Heavy Weapons guy.

I love Assassins Creed!

Oh HELL yeah! Can't wait for ACIII any longer!

Personally I'm looking forward to the alternative ending where England wins the war...

Waaghpowa:
I'm willing to try this installment of Assassin's Creed as long as Ubisoft isn't going to give me a mountain of bullshit with the PC version. I liked AC2 but I grew tired of the other games because of Ezio.

I personally think Connor looks like a much less interesting character than Ezio, who at least had that awesome Italian accent (even though it was fake, no less). But I suppose time will tell... It all depends on how well his character is written, really.

Ogargd:
Personally I'm looking forward to the alternative ending where England wins the war...

Haha well keep looking, because it's not in this game.

Maybe it's time for some quality pirate game? Something about Sir Francis Drake, perhaps? Ey devs', what say you?image

Welcome guy and nice to meet you

This looks pretty interesting, the bit about the naval battles in particular.

This isn't really related, but I've always wanted to play a game where you can control a variety of man of war vessels in a 18th to early 19th century setting. My ideal thoughts for this would be a silent hunter type game, with period vessels instead of submarines, seeking out enemy merchant vessels and men or war on the open seas.
I know that Assassins Creed 3 won't have that, but by including ship to ship battles it has given me one more reason to look forward to this game.

I've always been an Assassin's Creed fan, and despite the serious blow to my faith in the series that Revelations was to me, I gotta say I'm really looking forward to this one.

Looks amazing. As long as can kill Americans as well as the English then it will be fun. ;-)Like that you can run through buildings, i wonder if that is all there is or can you run through the whole house?

Why the hell can't it be October soon? Next week perhaps.

Sad thing is, and its also a weird mix of the rage that this game has generated, I'll be in London watching the New England Patriots play at Wembley stadium. My how things have changed since 1776.

liking the overall look of the game but the whole tactics behind "dodge hoards of shooters with parkour power" seems a bit dodgy

RJ 17:
I've always been an Assassin's Creed fan, and despite the serious blow to my faith in the series that Revelations was to me, I gotta say I'm really looking forward to this one.

Agreed, though this was hardly a preview, just the "already released footage" cobbled together!

SacremPyrobolum:
Colonial Wubs

That is all.

No its not.

So here's more.

Scottish people must be flattered by this game, they are depicted as what appears to be the games Heavy Weapons guy.

The Glasgow Kiss Connor got off that Scottish soldier(Highlander? Guard? Didn't recognise the uniform) was the best part of the whole video :)

I can already see where the story is going of course, regardless of what Ubisoft say, they aren't going to jeopardise their income in America by portraying the "patriots" as anything other than super-duper awesome, and the Brits as moustachioed silent-movie baddies. They'll throw in one or two token Templar-affiliated "patriots", but they'll only be Templar-affiliated because they're not True Pure Sons of The Revolution, and the main thrust of the story will be to equate the "patriots" fighting against the evil oppressive Brits in the past with the Assassins fighting against the evil oppressive Templars in the present. And don't try and deny it, you buggers have got form; the latest asshattery is Fallen Skies, in which they have recast the Brits as evil aliens who kidnap and enslave children.

I really can't grasp why they didn't go with the French Revolution, it was far more interesting, and since the main target of your ire would be rich pretentious French noblemen fighting to retain control over the masses, as opposed to a childish tantrum over a tax dispute(come on now, all in good fun :P) with ludicrous amounts of patriotic fervour attached to it even today, they could have just told their story without having to pander.

i'm looking forward to it. they really tried their hardest to murder my interest in the series with a blunt knife, with revelations... or the fall... or the multpiplayer... or the facebook game... or the movie (please god, no) but damn, ACIII does look worth playing at least;D

This installment looks very interesting but I have been let down badly with the first two. I love the story very much and they both looked great but they were so very easy. Difficulty factor is a huge attribute I look for in a game. There were virtually no consequences for my mistakes from my experience. I didn't die at all in the first Assassin's Creed and I bit it six times in part two, four of those times were from platforming and the other two was from combat. What I'm saying is, I didn't find these games challenging at all and it's a shame. Why not spend all that money making them into computer animated movies instead... because that's what the were to me.

Magichead:

SacremPyrobolum:
Colonial Wubs

That is all.

No its not.

So here's more.

The Glasgow Kiss Connor got off that Scottish soldier(Highlander? Guard? Didn't recognise the uniform) was the best part of the whole video :)

I can already see where the story is going of course, regardless of what Ubisoft say, they aren't going to jeopardise their income in America by portraying the "patriots" as anything other than super-duper awesome, and the Brits as moustachioed silent-movie baddies. They'll throw in one or two token Templar-affiliated "patriots", but they'll only be Templar-affiliated because they're not True Pure Sons of The Revolution, and the main thrust of the story will be to equate the "patriots" fighting against the evil oppressive Brits in the past with the Assassins fighting against the evil oppressive Templars in the present. And don't try and deny it, you buggers have got form; the latest asshattery is Fallen Skies, in which they have recast the Brits as evil aliens who kidnap and enslave children.

I really can't grasp why they didn't go with the French Revolution, it was far more interesting, and since the main target of your ire would be rich pretentious French noblemen fighting to retain control over the masses, as opposed to a childish tantrum over a tax dispute(come on now, all in good fun :P) with ludicrous amounts of patriotic fervour attached to it even today, they could have just told their story without having to pander.

Well it's obvious why Ubisoft didn't do the French Revolution isn't? Pandering to the Americans is more profitable than pandering to anyone else. Never mind the fact that the French Revolution was probably the most important events of the early modern era and the themes one can draw from the French Revolution (Liberté, égalité, fraternité, Deceleration of Rights of Man and Citizen) are far more relevant to the Assassins Creed series than the the American war for independence.

It's all about where the money is i'm afraid. But don't worry, it's more than likely our grandchildren will be playing video games where you're an assassin in 1940's China butchering the evil nationalists for the glory of the Chinese Communist Party. History's written by the winners isn't it?

That all said, looks like they've put some effort into improving the gameplay which is good and the sea-battles add on looks awesome. If it's not too one sided in it's historical narrative i might just play it.

Edit: I'm being deliberately flippant here- and yes this doesn't explain why they set previous assassins games in Renaissance Italy and Constantinople. The point behind my tirade was that Ubisoft give a lot of concern for the American audience because they have the most money- even if this means diluting the narrative quality of the whole franchise.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here