Trailers: Dishonored - Daring Escapes Trailer

Dishonored - Daring Escapes Trailer

In Dishonored there are so many different ways to run away.

Watch Video

Can I just say how happy I am to see trailers featuring actual gameplay? It's a very rare thing to see a developer actually showing off its game, and not its animation department.

I still think the protagonist is hopelessly overpowered. This game is going to be pathetically easy.

Level layouts and visual design look good though.

Zhukov:
I still think the protagonist is hopelessly overpowered. This game is going to be pathetically easy.

Im pretty sure the protagonist doesnt have access to all those powers at once, and we're also not seeing the limitations (for example how many of those fancy sleeping darts does he have? how many times can he use magic long jumps?). I think this game may be a lot more balanced than you think, but only time will tell I guess.

Zhukov:

Well the protagonist basically made a pact with the devil, so divine powers are a given, on top of that I think most of these demos are done in god mode.

I doubt that at the start of the game, without levelling up, you can chain posses three guys in a row, maybe one, two but after that your entire mana bar is drained.

There was a different demo where you could see a single possession draining almost 1/2 of your mana bar, meaning of course you couldn't do what was done in this video. Time will tell though, you could be 100% right and the game will be a joke with players wading through it.

How far off of the gold build do we think this gameplay footage looks? I am somewhat of a graphics whore and I can't get over how ugly it looks.

I don't know, maybe I need to watch a HD version of the trailer, but while the game looks really fun and probably awesome, it also looks really, really fucking ugly. I don't know that I'll be able to get past that.

Is there much else to say about this game other than "Want"?

Zhukov:

Don't forget trailers like this often make it look easy and give the person demoing unlimited access to their ammo and other abilities. They want to make everything look smooth and easy to perform.

Waaghpowa:
Is there much else to say about this game other than "Want"?

Yes. The words "really badly" after want. oh and I in front of want to please the grammar nazis.

StBishop:
How far off of the gold build do we think this gameplay footage looks? I am somewhat of a graphics whore and I can't get over how ugly it looks.

I don't know, maybe I need to watch a HD version of the trailer, but while the game looks really fun and probably awesome, it also looks really, really fucking ugly. I don't know that I'll be able to get past that.

It's definitely pushing its own aesthetic over photo-realism, so I wouldn't count on it radically changing.

Dishonored is looking to be a pretty good game. I am loving the look of the possession power.

Was that fish possession, along towards the end?

Wheres the escape that he goes "WRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!" and shoots lightening out of his eyes, cutting everyone within 45 miles in half?

But im pretty "hyped" for this game i guess. It looks like a nice change of pace, which is exactly what the market needs. More single player. Less space marines.

Susurrus:
Was that fish possession, along towards the end?

Yes. Yes it is. It's also possible to summon a swarm of rats to attack and distract enemies and then possess one of the rats.

The more I see of this the more I'm looking forward to it. However, I am wary of another bioshock so I'm determined not to get too excited just in case it sucks.

when i saw the first trailer, i had mixed feelings about it. but the more i saw of it that you have ways like in deus ex HR, if you want to kill everyone or be sneaky, t more attention from me.
now, after seeing this, im actually looking forward to this game.

damn, and AC3 is not far away either.

Zhukov:

To describe DXHR to someone, Jenson would sound overpowered

You play as Adam Jensen, he has these blades that come out of his arms, and he can turn invisible. He's super strong, able to throw stuff even as large as a vending machine with ease, can jump really high, fall from any height without dying, he can see through walls and he has this bomb type device that kills everyone near him.

Or prototype

You play as Alex Mercer, he can shapeshift his body into different weapons, able to slice people in half, rip helicopters out of the sky, throw tanks and even run up the side of a skyscraper.

Both of these protagonists seem hopelessly overpowered from what I've just described. And maybe in other games they would be. Soul Calibur would be a much shorter game if you played it as Mercer, but in their respective gameworlds the characters feel just powerful enough to overcome the obstacles in their path.

I'm sure when the final game does come out, there will be a lot more challenge than what we've seen in the trailers.

WaysideMaze:

Zhukov:

To describe DXHR to someone, Jenson would sound overpowered

You play as Adam Jensen, he has these blades that come out of his arms, and he can turn invisible. He's super strong, able to throw stuff even as large as a vending machine with ease, can jump really high, fall from any height without dying, he can see through walls and he has this bomb type device that kills everyone near him.

Or prototype

You play as Alex Mercer, he can shapeshift his body into different weapons, able to slice people in half, rip helicopters out of the sky, throw tanks and even run up the side of a skyscraper.

Both of these protagonists seem hopelessly overpowered from what I've just described. And maybe in other games they would be. Soul Calibur would be a much shorter game if you played it as Mercer, but in their respective gameworlds the characters feel just powerful enough to overcome the obstacles in their path.

I'm sure when the final game does come out, there will be a lot more challenge than what we've seen in the trailers.

Both those protagonists were hopelessly overpowered.

I played DE:HR on the hardest difficulty and I still had to handicap myself (pacifist, no cloak, no heavy weapons, don't abuse melee) to make it challenging.

Mercer somewhat less so, but the disguise ability basically broke the game.

However, in the case of Dishonored, I'm not going off out-of-context written descriptions. I'm going off actual gameplay demonstrations, both this and the 'Golden Cat' walkthroughs. My conclusion is that the protagonist is ridiculously overpowered and the game will subsequently be pathetically easy regardless of difficulty setting. It still looks like fun and I'll still buy it, but I'm calling the utter lack of challenge right now.

Zhukov:

Both those protagonists were hopelessly overpowered.

I played DE:HR on the hardest difficulty and I still had to handicap myself (pacifist, no cloak, no heavy weapons, don't abuse melee) to make it challenging.

Mercer somewhat less so, but the disguise ability basically broke the game.

However, in the case of Dishonored, I'm not going off out-of-context written descriptions. I'm going off actual gameplay demonstrations, both this and the 'Golden Cat' walkthroughs. My conclusion is that the protagonist is ridiculously overpowered and the game will subsequently be pathetically easy regardless of difficulty setting. It still looks like fun and I'll still buy it, but I'm calling the utter lack of challenge right now.

I guess we're just in disagreement then. I thought both of those protagonists were just powerful enough for the games. Maybe you're just better than me :P

I'm guessing for the trailers they really want to demonstrate all the powers in the game, so are using some kind of god mode. Either that, or using the powers more liberally since they know they don't have to save mana potions (or whatever this games equivalent is) for later on.

I think I'm just a hopeless optimist though, I love me some assassination/stealth games.

Sorry. double post

kouriichi:
Wheres the escape that he goes "WRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!" and shoots lightening out of his eyes, cutting everyone within 45 miles in half?

But im pretty "hyped" for this game i guess. It looks like a nice change of pace, which is exactly what the market needs. More single player. Less space marines.

God-Emperor... Corvo is basically an Eversor assassin!!! I need this even more.

The more I see of this game the more I want to play it.

I can't wait for this game to be released.

This footage was already looking awesome. As soon as I saw you can possess (and actually move with) fish, I thought "Sold!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here