Escape to the Movies: The Watch

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Watch

MovieBob watches The Watch so you don't have to.

Watch Video

Oh god, first 'Tower Heist' and now 'The Watch?

What happened to you Ben Stiller?

Nobody uses watches anymore, so they just phoned it in.

yellowhead:

Karma for not making Starsky and Hutch 2.

Little disappointed to hear this, as a small part of me thought this might be alright.

I guess I might check it out if it ever ends up on Netflix Instant Watch or something.

Hey Bob, not to nitpick, but that whole part about being too insubstantial to offend part...didn't you use almost those exact same words about the new Spiderman?

Soooo don't go? Yeah, can do.

A fan of the IT crowd Bob, nice

MovieBob:
The Watch

Watch Video

... Was that a Nostalgia Critic joke?

Hmmmmm, Dark Knight Rises or generic 'quirky' comedy #1,830,923?

Yeah, Batman wins.

saintdane05:

MovieBob:
The Watch

Watch Video

My thoughts exactly xD

Oh dear.......... Anyway Perfect Superman ™ is hard to do story wise... he's perfect and all powerful. I liked returns but its bland because he was pretty much all powerful. They should do Superman films based on the 90s animated cartoon series.

yellowhead:

What happened is, Ben Stiller occasionally accidentally backs into a funny performance in an entertaining movie. Disappointingly unfunny is his normal state. If you like him, you're responding to the exceptions rather than the rule.

That said, this movie has him surrounded by more consistent co-stars and the premise and trailers have me interested enough to go see it. MovieBob and I frequently don't see eye to eye. The only way he could have kept me from seeing this movie would have been praising it while revealing that it wasn't what the ads made it look like.

Oh Ben Stiller, have you ever been in anything good other than The Royal Tenenbaums?

Oh Vince Vaughn, have you ever been in anything good... ever?

And not forgetting the might boosh, Richard is that too, as the fine pimp hat wearing shaman Shaboo?

yellowhead:

Tower Heist wasn't that bad. It was watchable. It wasn't funny enough and the heist wasn't skillfully written enough to be great, but it was watchable.

That's damning it with faint praise.

luvd1:
And not forgetting the might boosh, Richard is that too, as the fine pimp hat wearing shaman Shaboo?

And he made Submarine, which is an excellent movie.

All you had to say was "Ben Stiller and Vince Vaghn" and I wouldn't be going within 100 yards of the theater.

The IT Crowd is "very funny"!? Don't get me wrong it occasionally has its moments and each to their own and everything, but "very funny", really!? I can only imagine MovieBob's head would explode if he saw actual good British comedies like Peep Show or The Inbetweeners. Hell even Not Going Out is far better than The IT Crowd! /rantover

Let me get this straight... He liked "TED" but hated "the watch" -_-

OT: I didn't need Bob to tell me that this film was crap!
I heard Vince Vaughn and Jonah Hill were in it and gave it a miss.

And don't get me started on the new Superman XP

Hrmmmm, trailers looked pretty funny, but I was probably not gonna see it either way.

Casual Shinji:
Oh Ben Stiller, have you ever been in anything good other than The Royal Tenenbaums?

Oh Vince Vaughn, have you ever been in anything good... ever?

Umm I thought Dodgeball was good, that was a Vince Vaughn, Ben Stiller movie, but the last time I saw it I was 13...

Darkplace is so good, loved that show so god damn much.

Good to know that movie's crap because my friends wanted to see it and I was guessing it was going to be bollocks anyway.

petef201:
The IT Crowd is "very funny"!? Don't get me wrong it occasionally has its moments and each to their own and everything, but "very funny", really!? I can only imagine MovieBob's head would explode if he saw actual good British comedies like Peep Show or The Inbetweeners. Hell even Not Going Out is far better than The IT Crowd! /rantover

When talking about comedy and what someone finds funny it becomes highly subjective. To prove my point I despise both The Inbetweeners and The Peep Show (like Rob Webb and David Mitchell though) It's the stile of humour that Bob finds funny, I imagine if he has a hold of The IT Crowd then he may have seen The Inbetweeners. He is a movie critic after all and The Inbetweeners movie was quite big in the UK

The only reason I can think of as to why Richard Ayoade is in this is because he owes a favour to Ben Stiller after Stiller helped get his directorial debut, Submarine, UK distribution

When talking about comedy and what someone finds funny it becomes highly subjective. To prove my point I despise both The Inbetweeners and The Peep Show (like Rob Webb and David Mitchell though) It's the stile of humour that Bob finds funny, I imagine if he has a hold of The IT Crowd then he may have seen The Inbetweeners. He is a movie critic after all and The Inbetweeners movie was quite big in the UK

I don't think Bob will have seen The Inbetweeners Movie yet, considering that it's only being released in the US in September. He may like it though, it's a least a better teen film than those bloody American Pie films

Guh, thanks (not) for reminding me of Darkplace.

Tim and Eric can be marginally amusing... at times... I guess... John C. Reilly doesn't hurt... and I'll say this, the Josh Groban tribute to Casey was comedy gold, although it required you to invest in the show enough to know who Casey was...

... but it felt like that one show opened the door for Cartoon Network to flood Adult Swim with shows that were... NOT CARTOONS! That might have contributed to my distaste for Darkplace and Boosh, but then you throw in Fat Guy Stuck in Internet, Saul of the Mole Men, Rising Son... enough already. Play some frakking cartoons on your cartoon network! You run this crud while Titan Maximum languishes in limbo? Really?

/rant over
//here come the responses about how ignorant I am about the genius of all this deliberately ironic bad TV

Just from looking at the preview for the video I was thinking "Moss from the IT Crowd Richard Ayoade? What the hell's Moss from the IT Crowd Richard Ayoade doing in a movie with Vince Vaugh and Jonah Hill? He has talent!

When I first saw the trailers for The Watch, I was convinced it would suck, but beside that point I thought that it might be trying to hit that Shaun of the Dead note, where a group of under-achieving everymen face a truly threatening and extraordinary situation, and the ensuing comedy is derived from their unfocused and deadpan approach to escaping the danger while still clinging to aspects of their ordinary lives that gave them comfort and security.

(Which for me is a more entertaining and arguably realistic reaction to something like a zombie outbreak than anything I've ever seen Romero cough up, but that's just my opinion.)

The problem is Hollywood has a very dismal, patronizing and outright insulting idea of what the American "everyman" is, characterizing them as over-exaggerated caricature of people pulled out of sensationalized media. You don't feel any kind of relation to these men because they're the kind of people you read about in the papers and decry as some kind of nut-jobs.

shinsei-J:
Darkplace is so good, loved that show so god damn much.

Good to know that movie's crap because my friends wanted to see it and I was guessing it was going to be bollocks anyway.

I know.
I'm going to have to watch that again this weekend :D

saintdane05:

MovieBob:
The Watch

Watch Video

The "We do X so you don't have to" formula has been the snowclone slogan of various products and services for quite some time now. The first time I remember hearing it was on a commercial for Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom detergent. And using it as an ironic tagline for snarky Internet critics has been around at least as long as Josh Fruhlinger's blog The Comics Curmudgeon (formerly known as I Read the Comics So You Don't Have To)

I saw one trailer for Step-Up: Revolution and have decided to consider that a film-adaptation of the Dance Dance Revolution games. As for The Watch...it has nothing to do with Discworld so I am a bit more annoyed than uninterested. I should finish reading Snuff...it will get the horrible taste of Liefeld-written-Deathstroke out of my brain.

I just realized that when I think "comedy movie" these days, I think "bad". I can't remember the last comedy I actually really enjoyed. They all seem to be stupidity-driven plots with stupidity-driven actors like Stiller, Vaughn, Farrel, and Cook, and I could usually stand watching them for only about 30 minutes before deciding that heading back to my office and getting a bit more work done would be more pleasant.

So many Hollywood comedies suck so bad. It's so depressing.

I love The I.T Crowd though. One of my favourite shows ever. Here's one of my favourite moments as a taster to those who may not have seen it:

It sucks how disproportionate a ratio there is between good comedy films and good comedy TV shows. I guess the reason for it is pretty obvious. Same reason AAA games are becoming so homogeneous.

EDIT: Another classic clip:

I was hoping to get a "Brave" review... instead I got a 4min video about a mediocre Stiller flick I never going to see anyway.

The most exciting part of the review was the "Man of Steel" picture at the end.

Didn't Richard Ayoade also make an indie film that no-one saw? Plus he was in the hit and miss Mighty Boosh. If he wasn't enough to save this film it must have been very bad.

Double post my bad

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or