Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Grey Carter:
The "R" Word

"Reverse"

Read Full Article

I have... few words...

What the Flying Blue F***?!

!

Ohhhh, I get it. He's wearing a helmet to protect himself from angry people!
Wait, no. Errr...let me backpedal a bit here...

I'll admit it took me a minute to piece it all together :P

Maybe I'm just obtuse, but what are we supposed to take away from this?

That even when going backwards, Chrystal Dynamics is still the first across the finish line?

Is this a reference to a comment by someone at Chrystal Dynamics, or a some newsworthy fact that involved them?

EDIT: having read the title of the article posted above, the comic makes perfect sense. Ah, the importance of knowing the context.

See I might have got the joke if I had any ability to remember development studios (and if I had gotten any sleep last night). In other words: clever comic, I are teh dumbz.

I actually got that. Now I know how Captain America felt.

I didn't get it at first, but then I didn't bother to remember the Tomb Raider Dev, much less knew about either the original statement or the response.

unacomn:

I bet Cap would hate that new Oz movie coming out soon.

azukar:
Context. Don't read if you don't want the joke spelled out.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-29-controversial-tomb-raider-scene-is-close-physical-intimidation-not-rape

You're welcome.

it probably would be better not to say anything

but I agree...there was no "rape" and the whole thing was an over reaction

Raider? I just met her!
And then they made the new Tomb Raider.

Captcha: fairy tale

Now this is how I like my jokes: with the punchline left to the imagination, and with the assumption that I'm in the know. SMUG!

Vault101:

azukar:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-29-controversial-tomb-raider-scene-is-close-physical-intimidation-not-rape

You're welcome.

it probably would be better not to say anything

You really don't see how watching a girl get the shit beat out of her for five minutes might upset some people? And there may not have been rape, but don't pretend that guy's true intentions weren't ABUNDANTLY clear.

Crystal Dynamics just pussied out by pretending it wasn't.
"Gah RAPE? How did you every come to THAT conclusion?" Just showing that THEY'RE the ones who aren't mature enough to address the subject.

Inane zero tolerance rant'o'babble at least the whole controversy is. Half the ones bitching are whack ass crazy.

Having had my fill with game 'controversy' im doing my best to just avoid this mess...

... F IT!

It looked like Lara was about to be raped so why wouldn't I want to protect? Oh wait, I don't have to, SHE OWNED THE SCUMBAG REGARDLESS, AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

I don't even underst... I don't... *sigh* its completey right to be annoyed at Crystal Dynamics for being wimps but why is this an argument at all? I can see how people might be uneasy but... a situation like the one Lara went through in the vid sets her up as a far stronger character then most protagonists. And as it being used souly for the purpose of fetish fluff, I don't think so but thats just me I suppose.

This all could have been avoided if they had just stuck to their guns and said, "Yeah, that might be what these psychopaths have in mind. Go figure." Law and Order: SVU can go into intimate and shocking detail on rape on a weekly basis and everyone is fine with it, but even the hint of sexual misconduct is just not okay for something as childish and immature as video games, apparently.

God it really sucks when the only company to show any backbone recently is fucking EA.

DVS BSTrD:
]You really don't see how watching a girl get the shit beat out of her for five minutes might upset some people? And there may not have been rape, but don't pretend that guy's true intentions weren't ABUNDANTLY clear.

"Gah RAPE? How did you every come to THAT conclusion?" Just showing that THEY'RE the ones who aren't mature enough to address the subject.

nope...she was going through a difficult situation...male protagonits get the same amount of crpa thrown at them

and yeah his intentions were clear...but in that situation its not surprising, makes sen sense in context

plus she bit his ear off...

Thankfully azukar gave some context. Now it makes sense to me.
Of course, I neither knew that Crystal Dynamics is developing that game, nor did I know that they changed/corrected their official position on that... issue.

Vault101:

DVS BSTrD:
]You really don't see how watching a girl get the shit beat out of her for five minutes might upset some people? And there may not have been rape, but don't pretend that guy's true intentions weren't ABUNDANTLY clear.

nope...she was going through a difficult situation...male protagonits get the same amount of crap thrown at them

and yeah his intentions were clear...but in that situation its not surprising, makes sen sense in context

Not usually within the first 5 minutes of the game.

I never said it was surprising, I was upset that Crystal Dynamics didn't have the balls to admit what it was: So much for gritty modern reboot if "Rape is not in our vocabulary." Hey the Republicans called, they want their oblivious white-bread family values sensibilities back.

Her going all Mike Tyson was the only part of the trailer I liked.

azukar:

You're welcome.

Thanks, read this earlier this morning. Didn't make the connection. Felt confused. At least now I get what was going on here. Probably still need more coffee though.

I know I can't be the only one that noticed the Shooter Guy lyrics at the bottom...

JaceArveduin:
I know I can't be the only one that noticed the Shooter Guy lyrics at the bottom...

*brofist*

OT: Professional backpedaling at its best.

I like how, even though they're backpedaling, they're still winning the race.

A comment on any publicity being good publicity by any chance?

Vault101:

Ron Rosenberg (crystal dynamics executive producer): And then what happens is her best friend gets kidnapped, she gets taken prisoner by scavengers on the island. They try to rape her.

Vault101:
nope...she was going through a difficult situation...male protagonits get the same amount of crap thrown at them

Kotaku: Karl, do you think that a male protagonist in that same situation would have- do you think the scavenger would do the same thing, rubbing his hand against his thigh?

Karl Stewart (crystal dynamics global brand director): No, of course not.

Sorry, this is not some blown out of proportion thing which people have made up from visual cues. Ron Rosenberg actually said a bunch of crap in interview and now his company is trying to back-peddle out of it and generally failing, hence the joke.

Incidentally, do male protagonists have this kind of crap thrown at them?

Ron Rosenberg: We wanted to make a girl that was somewhat familiar, yet had a special quality about her - something in the way her eyes look and her expression in her face that makes you want to care for her.

Sorry, I think I need to puke.

They're going backwards? They've crossed the line?

I hate it when I don't get the joke. Somebody will explain it to me and, instead of laughing, I'll be saying "ooooh, now I get it.. I guess it's pretty clever".

No lulz for uncle RAM I guess....

This would have been a lot more funny if they did this just after the Tomb raider rape thing, because I had to read a few comments before I got the joke.

Fappy:

unacomn:

I bet Cap would hate that new Oz movie coming out soon.

They are remaking Oz? Really? Well, good luck I guess.

Wait! I know!
Someone find out how many "classic" movies+ TV shows they're are (C+T), how many board games (And dice games. Yahtzee! No really. No joke.) ((B+D)), add them together ((C+T)+(B+D)), multiple them by 3 for prequels&sequels (((C+T)+(B+D))(3)), and then divide the final number by how many of these movies they release a year (Y). Then we will know how many years until everyone will have to make something new (N).

So, (((C+T)+(B+D))(3))/Y=N!?

Or maybe it will never ever ever ever ever end. (Count the evers to get one "Ha.")

Also, good comic today! Funny.

Ever notice how it's generally always people who don't play games and thus would never buy and/or play the game in question that are always at the forefront of these controversies?

...I don't get it. He's back peddling...but he's in the lead...yeah I'm lost.

And on a different note, can we freaking drop this? Yes the guy was a sleaze ball who probably fucked up the entire game because people refuse to let go of what a single douchebag said even though everyone else is saying that he's full of shit, yes rape is something that happens to women and trying to deny it is simply ludicrous, and yes there was never any rape in the trailer (probably because he says that the guy ATTEMPTS to rape her and doesn't get very far and she kills him so can someone please tell me what the big fucking problem is?). You know it's funny, when we were all complaining about Mass Effect 3 we all got called entitled whiners but I haven't seen a single person complaining about Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed 3 get called that. Funny.

I love the fury on this CD's face XD such furious and deliberate backpedaling

I think the point is they're backpedaling so hard they could win a bike race just by facing the wrong direction.

I'm more surprised by the fact that this is still newsworthy. So Crystal Dynamics are busy backpedaling from a single moment in the trailer, the whole of which I thought portrayed a much more realistic take on Lara Croft than ever before.

I mean, prior to that reboot, Croft was more or less flirting with Bayonetta's levels of ridiculous self-assertion and yes, some men can be very literal assholes to women in real life. So I don't really consider the reboot as being something like a rape simulator or a means to objectify a defenseless woman - seeing as we clearly see her defending herself, and successfully, at that.

I might be looking at this from the wrong angle, but I just don't get all the hoopla. Raise red flags about Hitman Absolution's Battle Nuns, I'll agree to that, but not for something as realistic and still optimistic as this.

Vault101:
nope...she was going through a difficult situation...male protagonits get the same amount of crpa thrown at them

Hey Vault! How's it going?

Response: I'll disagree that male protaganists get the same amount, volume, and consistency of "crpa" thrown at them as Laura got in that trailer. :p[1]

I will say that I don't have a problem with it, per say, but they are walking a difficult line. And by difficult line I mean they could easily just be ramping up the drama and making it a bad game. And I will not play it if it's a bad game, regardless of the subject matter.
although I'd probably need it to be a really good game to personally even want to play a game with that type of grittiness.

[1] e.g., I've never seen a male character get [attempted]raped in a game, I've never seen a normal human male character get impaled by a crowbar/eaten by a beartrap.

Then again, I've never seen EITHER in a game before, so yeah.

Nice one. Shame i had to peek through comments to get it.

I personally don't see this reboot as an inprovement since we are going from one extreme concept to another. There is no subtlety to it. It stands like a thorn and naturally disturbs people.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here