Jimquisition: I Hate Videogames (Because I Love Them)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I Hate Videogames (Because I Love Them)

Those who love videogames deeply enough will learn to hate them.

Watch Video

I have a friend who's convinced that she's not supposed to criticize any sort of art because she thinks it makes her a jerk. I'm showing her this video. I don't know if she'll be able to get past your initial crudeness, but thank you so much for articulating this so well.

Finally someone said it! BF Bad Company 2 for pc had free dlc until Vietnam. That was a pratice I supported. Expected the same in BF3 and it did not happen. Do I hate BF3? No. Yet I'm not pleased by this pratice.

I prefer to think of it a little differently, I'm not mad at a certain game...I'm just disappointed.

Good episode and while some would call loving and hating something the basis for a unhealthy relationship, I'd call it rational.

This man speaks what we all know to be true.

Love means never having to say you're sorry.
If you're a publisher that is.

I personally loved this video. I can't wait to see how he wraps it up next week or if we'll get another 3 part series. :)

Well at least EA support gay marriage, at opposition of Chick Follley or whaterver is the name of that fastfood chains (they don't exist on my area pardon my ignorence....)

Kind of how I feel about Bethesda, their games are brilliant such as Skyrim and hopefully Dishonored will be good, but i hate their bias against the PS3 and not releasing Dawnguard for the PS3.

Also on a short side note, love the hat Jim

There's the particular concern, however, that supporting a game you love whilst criticizing its marketing smacks a bit of--albeit unintentional--hypocrisy.

The inherently modular nature of the business allows for certain aspects of a game to vary in quality, but by supporting that game you support -every- aspect of it, regardless of who did what right.

Now, from a pure gameplay standpoint, this isn't necessarily a problem; developers love their games, and they'll make every effort to improve upon what works (Ideally), but this doesn't quite apply to a game and it's business practice.

Using day-one DLC as an example, we'll call upon Mass Effect 3, which is a decent game, but even if you criticize the implementation of day-one DLC you're still approving it through your wallet, and the marketing team can very easily not care about the game beyond it as a product--so as long as they make money off of it what reason do they have not to continue practising it?

Talvrae:
Well at least EA support gay marriage, at opposition of Chick Fil-A or whaterver is the name of that fastfood chains (they don't exist on my area pardon my ignorence....)

They don't exist in my area either, Boston has banned them.

Great video Jim! I swear, you've really come into yourself lately.

Although I fear your attempts to tell people not to mindlessly defend certain games will be ignored by those who need to hear it most.

I was expecting you to do the Chinatown bit, "I hate them! I love them! I hate them! I love them! I hate and love them!"

Or maybe the Gollum one, "We loves our precious yes we do. No we hates the precious!"

Thank you for not going obvious.

I hate the must love it all mentality that most people have. I've experienced with Whedonites most, but other fan groups are just annoying.

Marohen:
There's the particular concern, however, that supporting a game you love whilst criticizing its marketing smacks a bit of--albeit unintentional--hypocrisy.

Yep, and that'll be part of what I talk about next week.

Some of the same arguements we heard in the video about Diablo 3 and it's god awful launch. I'm glad that he expanded on those arguements in this video.

Marohen:

I wouldn't say so. I mean, no rational person would call you out for saying "I love game X except for gameplay/story bit Y", so it makes even less sense that you'd do it for something as utterly insignificant as its platform or publisher.

I think it's called constructed criticism. Too bad nobody can take it anymore

Great does not equal perfect and perfection isn't possible.

There will always be a way that something can be improved, pointing out imperfections does not equal hatred (even if the internet says otherwise). Love your games, but demand that they keep raising the bar so that we can play even better games in the future.

Marohen:

Is it though?
I mean, loving something doesn't mean you have to love every single thing about it or you don't really love it.
That's sort of like saying that you can't really love someone if you complain when they fart.

OT: Really liked this one, I think many people now have a love/hate relationship with games themselves and game business..
There are great aspects and then shitty ones, doesn't mean I don't still love games.

EDIT: Had to edit that twice because I type like a moron now.

Constructive criticism, a term most fanboys don't seem to comprehend.

You'll need more than one video on it to explain it to some people out there Jim.

templar1138a:
I have a friend who's convinced that she's not supposed to criticize any sort of art because she thinks it makes her a jerk. I'm showing her this video. I don't know if she'll be able to get past your initial crudeness, but thank you so much for articulating this so well.

I think, unfortunately, this sort of video only speaks to the choir and is unlikely to manage any converts.

Kitsune Hunter:
Kind of how I feel about Bethesda, their games are brilliant such as Skyrim and hopefully Dishonored will be good, but i hate their bias against the PS3 and not releasing Dawnguard for the PS3.

Also on a short side note, love the hat Jim

Technically its not their biased against ps3 since PC is also getting it. It's their biased FOR microsoft's money. ;)

How dare Chick-Fil-A support the idea that traditional marriage should be between a man and a woman, truly they are bigots of the highest order *sarcasm.

So much truth pouring from this video...
the sad thing is that you actually have to spell it out for people, considering what a basic and simple concept it is:
You're allowed, nay, encouraged to criticise what you love.

I just recently had a discussion with a friend that on the internet (though not exclusively), you aren't allowed to sit on the fence. That you HAVE to choose a side and shun the other, no matter how much common sense dictates that this practice is FUCKING STUPID.

I've been saying this for a while, and it's nice to see someone make a video about this train of thought.

I bought SSX new because the online pass wasn't needed to play. I bought ME3 used with a free online pass I got from a friend because of the opposite practice. I'd like to think I can steer companies in ways I want by using my money as a carrot. You make your games in a way I like, and I give you a sale. If you don't, I'll fuck you over.

Same with Ubisoft. I bought Rayman Origins and Lumines for the Vita because they were awesome games, and I still might down the line get the latest Driver game because I really liked how it played. However, I refuse to buy ANYTHING Ubisoft makes for the PC because of their hideous online DRM practices. Bethesda's games I buy years later for cheap and only on the PC because it's only the modding community that makes their games playable, sometimes literally.

Again, you don't have to boycott an entire goddamn publisher because of what they do. Hell, boycotting EA or Activision is going to make you miss out on a lot of really good content. If you have that kind of dedication, then by all means. But don't have a cry and say you'll never buy anything from them, then break that promise a month later. Be selective... if a game was made with practices that you don't like, then don't buy it, but don't miss out on good games that were made with good intentions simply because you don't like the publisher.

Now if only I could do something to change a few other practices publishers are frequently using now through my wallet, but I don't see how I can. How do consumers change the practice of using MetaCritic or sales quotas to hold an IP hostage? Those are practices I really want to see die, but not sure how I can make a difference... which is a shame.

Funnily enough, I am more outspoken against games that I like than those that I don't. Those that I generally dislike I tend to just put out of my mind. Whereas the ones I like I normally criticise out of frustration of them not being as good as they could've potentially been.

Also, the HD version of the video doesn't seem to be loading...

Hatchet90:
How dare Chick-Fil-A support the idea that traditional marriage should be between a man and a woman, truly they are bigots of the highest order *sarcasm.

Who said that? I certainly didn't. I said their chicken tastes like hating gay people, and that the hating of gay people smells like fucking shit.

I stand by that claim. It has been lab-tested.

Problem with some of Jim's statements is that they are wishful thinking. If publisher sees that all complaints about practices that it took to make more money do not result in diminishing income it will not stop using them because that will cripple the cash flow. If they listen to complaints about always online DRM, Day one DLC and similar practices and stop doing that their income will diminish. Product abandonment due to dissatisfaction caused by such practices, obviously, is not equal to potential losses from complainers. In other words, if they listen to demands they would, effectively, shoot themselves in foot.

That means, as long as you buy games, they will continue to do what they do because they would lose money doing otherwise.

Marohen:
The inherently modular nature of the business allows for certain aspects of a game to vary in quality, but by supporting that game you support -every- aspect of it, regardless of who did what right.

Yes, this... Which is why I'm not buying EA games right now.

It does raise a question that I would hope Jim might answer in his next video. Obviously, Sterling has some modest pull as a professional critic, at least to the point that there's a chance someone at a major company might see one of his videos or read one of his articles, if perhaps not revise their policies based on Jim's views.

As a consumer, by the point I've told a company that I'm not buying their games and why, and followed through on that, and maybe vented about some of the more appalling aspects of their policies to my "friends" on Facebook, I've pretty much done everything I can to make them register my displeasure. Little as that is, I realize. What else am I going to do, start another useless, whiny internet petition? For their part, EA has all but posted a mission statement that reads "Scream louder, your suffering gives me warm fuzzies."

Zachary Amaranth:

templar1138a:

I think, unfortunately, this sort of video only speaks to the choir and is unlikely to manage any converts.

You may be right, but I've known this girl since middle school (twelve years ago). She used to hate my guts and tried to make my life miserable. The main reason I was able to tolerate her was because - unlike most of my other bullies - she actually had a brain. In fact, I viewed her as a challenge for my wit.

We're friends now because she apologized for how she behaved. Unfortunately, I've since discovered that she doesn't use her brain like she used to. She has her head in the clouds, believing in manifestation and saying a bunch of crap that centers around counting her blessings. Honestly, I liked her better when she was trying to make my life hell. I hope I can convince her to start thinking again.

Hatchet90:

Uh, yeah. When you say you deserve more rights than other human beings, for whatever reason, that makes you a bigot.

Also, Jim's forum icon is Mysterio? Awesooooooome!

Ashamed to ask but, what's the game with that redhead dressed in blue? Bioshock 2? Fallout?

It always hurts most from those we love.

I totally agree. The way people seem to think you can't have mixed feelings about stuff is ridiculous. I was once called a Minecraft fanboy and berated for it on Youtube for a reason I can't even remember. I said one positive thing about the game and then when I got attacked for liking something I replied by explaining how I don't even play the game that much, yet I was somehow still a mindless sheep worth insulting endlessly. But it was on Youtube, so fuck that retard.

Also, "Namcy Banders". Hilarious. Although I didn't really like Enslaved much. It was okay. I had some fun with it and it had it's good points, but I think when I played it at the time I was trying to convince myself it was better than it was because of Andy Serkis. But I later looked back at it and realised how fucking retarded and crap the story was, and how the gameplay wasn't so brilliant either.

Hatchet90:

They are against homosexual couples being allowed to benefit from the advantages of being married. Eg spousal medical benefits, insurance, etc.

Bigot : a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own

Sounds pretty accurate.

carnex:

That means, as long as you buy games, they will continue to do what they do because they would lose money doing otherwise.

Sry Jim he is right.

Stop buying games is the only way to stop EA, Activision and Ubisoft.

Ubisoft even hacks into your browser, evidently.
Stop supporting those companies, do not buy their games.

Thats the only way to beat them,
if you Jim really love video games,
say that people shall stop buying them.

There just is no other way.

with regards

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password: