Forum Upgrades

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Forum Upgrades

The Escapist presents a newly updated forum look.

A few weeks ago, we gave our homepage a pretty big makeover. Today, we're extending that upgrade to our forums. Much like the rest of our redesign, we've left the core functionality untouched while repositioning some of the features so they're easier to use.

We've also added some fancy new upgrades for our users, like increased avatars and an extra badge. Standard avatars have moved from 75x75px to 85x85px with 120kb size limit, while Pub Club members have grown from 100x100px to 115x115px with a 250kb size limit. We've even expanded our badge count, meaning you can now have your favorite five forum awards on display instead of four. You can still access your avatars via your profile, where you can also add your fifth badge by clicking on the "Badges" tab and pressing "save order."

If you need some time to get used to the new forum style, don't worry. For now, you can still toggle back and forth between the old and new at the bottom of each page.

We hope you enjoy the latest upgrade to our site and, as always, please let us know what you think!

Thanks,
The Escapist Staff

image by wwardy

Do we need to log in and out to get the new layout to load? Seeing the old one still.

EDIT: Just answered my own question. Holy crap this is going to take some getting used to.

I.... Don't know if I like this or not. After 6000 posts done in roughly the same design, it's a bit startling.

Again I have to ask WHY?
Or did you guys have too much time in between NOT posting links to your content?

It's grey. I approve.

Though it does look kinda weird, but it matches the other changes you've been doing.

Not sure If I like this new format over the older, though there doesnt seem to be that much difference.

They are getting worse every time!

Please, Escapist! Please just stop.

This feels like it was designed at the turn of the century.

Fappy:
Do we need to log in and out to get the new layout to load? Seeing the old one still.

It should be working ASAP, sorry for the delay!

Nasrin:

Fappy:

It should be working ASAP, sorry for the delay!

Poor intern :(

Well at least we can toggle back to the old one since I can't stand your new one. Sorry but that's how I feel.

DVS BSTrD:
Again I have to ask WHY?
Or did you guys have too much time in between NOT posting links to your content?

While we're happy to hear your feedback and encourage you to provide it, please make sure that your criticisms remain respectful. We work very hard to do you a service.

We've improved the functionality of the forums, fixing buttons that didn't work and whatnot. Otherwise, the only difference is color and your ability to have larger avatars and more badges. We made these changes because we considered them to be an improvement, of course.

I like the look of it, but I would have preferred it if the reply and quote buttons had stayed where they were. It's going to take a little while to get used to, kind of like when it's the new year and you keep writing last year's date.

Took a few log ins and outs, but it's working properly now. :)

Not sure how I feel about it just now, but I think I could get used to it well enough. I'm keeping the new look at any rate.

DVS BSTrD:
Again I have to ask WHY?

I'm a bit curious on what your complaint is, mind explaining?

What?

Oh, the 'new forum' update?

*Yawn*

Us elite Pub Club members have had it for a while now.

So last week.

Ehhhh not really loving it, I was used to the old layout and the new one doesn't seem to improve anything, so I don't see why this was needed.

Edit: In the interest of constructive criticism I realized I should actually list my complaints

- I don't like the poster name being in a separate box from the avatar, it was momentarily confusing and now I simply find that it doesn't look as good.

- Ditto for moving the quote/reply/edit buttons to the top of the post, they were very noticeable and clear where they were, why move them?

- Biggest nip-pick of the bunch, but I just think avatars now look slightly off, not sure if its because they are larger, or because there is more empty space around them.

- in fact I just think the big-ass shiny grey bar is generally ugly the old layout felt much smaller and more sleek, the new one seems to be made to make everything unnecessarily large like whoever designed it had poor eyesight.

- Not a complaint, but with a fair number of people hating every update (some being not very nice about it) I'm starting to
a. wonder why the escapist staff hasn't just gone "fine you don't like change? then we will just never change anything. happy assholes?"
b. feel sorry for whoever is in charge of visual design

Daystar Clarion:
What?

*Yawn*

So last week.

PubClub memberships were so 2010.

Hmm...I think I am going miss the blue.

On a more serious note, it annoys me a bit that quote sections have such vague lines now. Difficult to see if it is a quote or a post. And the user info section could use a line that separates it from the actual post part of the post.

One thing which has never really been altered which I wish it would be, is the posts of banned and suspended members. Because of the grey filter that gets added to them it becomes rather tiresome to read them, which is a pain when you try to follow a conversation between forumites like me and banned/suspended ones. Why not just add the gray filter to the user section, but keep the post area clean?

CJ1145:

I cannot hit that toggle fast enough.

Did Ray Charles help or was it Stevie Wonder?

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:
What?

*Yawn*

So last week.

Yeah, I mean, who likes custom titles anymore, right?

Don't be sad Fappy, I'm sure you like your lame ass normal title.

Fappy:

Sounds like the "Master of Magnet" is a bit envious.

Oh yeah, I went there.

EDIT: As I said last week, I love the updated look. It's so sleek.

Plus, five badges. Everybody loves badges.

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:
What?

*Yawn*

So last week.

Yeah, I mean, who likes custom titles anymore, right?

Don't be sad Fappy, I'm sure you like your lame ass normal title.

I'm not sad... I'M ANGRY!!!!

EDIT: I have free hand to choke you too Z!!!

Hjalmar Fryklund:

On a more serious note, it annoys me a bit that quote sections have such vague lines now. Difficult to see if it is a quote or a post. And the user info section could use a line that separates it from the actual post part of the post.

Check your browsing options. The new forum layout takes those options into consideration.

ThyNameIsMud:

Hjalmar Fryklund:

Check your browsing options. The new forum layout takes those options into consideration.

Thanks, I didn't know where to find them.

Hjalmar Fryklund:

ThyNameIsMud:

Hjalmar Fryklund:

They're also the gear that's at the top of the page. :)

FalloutJack:

CJ1145:

I cannot hit that toggle fast enough.

Did Ray Charles help or was it Stevie Wonder?

If you would care to voice constructive criticism, that might help us better understand why you don't appreciate the change. But there's no need to be a jerk.

I for one like it.

But I'm sure there will be plenty of folk who'll bitch about it until they're blue in the face.
Such is the way of the interwebs.

May I suggest that the nameplate part of the bar above every post be blue? I like how the buttons on the right-hand side light up blue, but I feels too bland with so much grey.

EDIT: It is especially bad for staff posts. The orange on grey looks icky.

I guess it's time for some in depth constructive criticism, Roger Ebert style!

I like it.

ThyNameIsMud:

Hjalmar Fryklund:

ThyNameIsMud:

They're also the gear that's at the top of the page. :)

Oh right, I forgot about that. Sloppy lil' me...

While the forum certainly match the rest of the website but it kind of werid seeing the time of the post being on the bar now instead of below the avatar. Other than that this will take time getting used to or not.

Some guy mentioned that I could toggle back to the old (better) format, how do I do that?

I like the new look. Very sleek without killing functionality. However its very, very, grey. I'm going to go fiddle with settings. I hope there is a color option. One more thing that is probably only affecting me. I have a 4x3 monitor and that extra badge pushed the page slightly off the monitor. I don't like vertical scroll bars. Minor issue I know, I will just zoom out and get used to it....

It's all too big.

I don't need half-inch thick lines defining where one post ends and another begins (and in another colour? Come on), I don't need the avatars to be any bigger and I certainly don't need to know any more about you people.

I know I'm probably in a minority but I don't care what badges people have earned, I never read their 'witty' forum tags and I barely even glance at the avatars anymore. Anyone with a small sized avatar now just looks silly with all the blank space surrounding them, and without an increase in text size the bigger avatars look weird sitting in between tiny little text more suited to the smaller box sizes.

My overall impression is of too much blank space doing nothing but distracting me, and of the posts now being pushed a little further over. This is in no way an indication that I want those things to be bigger though. If I cared enough about people to check their badges or their description bits or their names and avatars I'd go to their profile.

My secondary impression is of 'unnecessary.' The old layout worked perfectly fine, was pleasing to the eye, uncluttered but equally not rolling in emptiness and most importantly the focus was on the posts. It feels more and more like I'm supposed to be looking at the people making these posts, or completely irrelevant information like when the post was made. None of this is necessary or even wanted for me to engage in a debate with someone. I don't need to know who they are, I need to be able to read their argument without their 'funny' little gif getting in the way.

Make the lines dividing posts smaller and less obtrusive (change the colour to be lighter.) Put all the useless information like date and time posted to the very far left and in tiny font, make the boxes containing information thinner so they don't intrude onto my reading of people's posts and for god's sake stop trying to push that whole badges thing? Anyone who genuinely cares about their badges is the sort of person who tries to get them, and that makes them annoying (posting in dozens of different forums just to get the 'I've been in lots of forums' badge, making irrelevant topics so they can eventually one day get the 'I made a thread people actually looked at' badge) I won't say the badges system is entirely useless, I'll just say that it doesn't and has never added anything to my enjoyment of this site, and in fact on many occasions has annoyed and distracted me from enjoying this site.

On a related note, why is it that now whenever I see the 'site changes' news topic I get ready to make my case, be ignored (because we all saw how many real changes were made the last time they did this), and spend another two to three months avoiding the Escapist until they make drastic changes to pull it halfway back to being decent? I liked the old layout before all that drop down menu nonsense, why can't we go back to that? Yeah, I'm still sore over that.

I like the new look so far.

Also, might I suggest adding a poll or something so people who like it are more likely to respond as people who are happy tend not to comment.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here