Forum Upgrades

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Shiny update is shiny. By the looks of the comments already in this thread I'd say the ability to alter the colour of the post header bit where the username and post time/dates are would be a cool addition but everything is beautiful as it is already so colour options are a secondary thing for me.

Daystar Clarion:
What?

Oh, the 'new forum' update?

*Yawn*

Us elite Pub Club members have had it for a while now.

So last week.

Some of us have been test driving it for even longer ;)

TimeLord:
Shiny update is shiny. By the looks of the comments already in this thread I'd say the ability to alter the colour of the post header bit where the username and post time/dates are would be a cool addition but everything is beautiful as it is already so colour options are a secondary thing for me.

Daystar Clarion:
What?

*Yawn*

So last week.

You mods and your perks.

One day, I will have such power.

One day...

If your in a changing mood, mind giving an option to change the colour of group post backgrounds to white? The group I'm in regularly discusses story spoilers, and white text doesn't really work when the background isn't white.

As for the updates, I preferred the minimalistic approach, but I don't mind this one.

Daystar Clarion:

TimeLord:

Daystar Clarion:
What?

*Yawn*

So last week.

You mods and your perks.

One day...

Was it Douglas Adams that said 'Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job'?

ThyNameIsMud:

DVS BSTrD:
If you're having load issues, might I suggest putting LRL back up at 10am? It just seems like going out of your way to make more work for your servers my uploading and running three series at once. Would also help ease the load of that population explosion I've heard so much about.

And get rid of that Hell on Wheels captcha where I have to enter the release date. That wouldn't stop a spammer and it just annoys me.

Unfortunately that doesn't really address the issues for the zerg rushes we get on occasion from a news post/article/video that gets super popular. Kinda like putting a band-aid on a concussion. :P

Wouldn't having the zerg rushes spread through-out the day by changing posting times be better then having them all at once? I mean you guys hardly post ANYthing in the mornings anymore. This really seems like a self made problem.

Nasrin:

Daystar Clarion:

TimeLord:

You mods and your perks.

One day...

Was it Douglas Adams that said 'Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job'?

It's a good job that I have no such ability then :D

It either happens, or it doesn't, I'll be happy with either outcome.

I really like it bar a couple of nitpicks.

Personally I think the "Name bar" bit should be the same colour of blue as the bit with thread index, bookmark, posting guidelines etc and the gold colour for the "new" whenever a new post has been made in a thread should be red. Course this is all my opinion and besides that I love the new update guys =D

Agreeing with everyone else who's said it, the "Name bar" needs a bit more blue to it.

But otherwise, I have no issues with it, it's shiny and shiny things distract me.
Liking the new "Jump to page" box though, a neat addition.

Don't know if anyone is going to read this, but here is a random user's opinion.

Opinion based solely on memory and looking at the new style:

It might just be the fact that I have terrible memory, but with the new format in place I've sort of forgotten what the old one looks like. That's probably a good sign.

I like the fact that the envelope to interact with users is bigger than it was before.

I think I'm going to miss having the report button underneath a user's info on the left-hand side. It was just a weird feeling of "I'm gonna report this person! Woo~". However, that's just a weird thing that's probably specific to me.

I think the placement of the Post/Quote button is okay. It'll take some getting used to sure, but it doesn't strike me as terrible. Also, I do like the fact that yall (because I feel weird saying "you all") changed the "reply" button to a "post" button in order for newer users to more easily learn that in order to reply to a person directly it's best to quote them.

I think the fact that this forums update has come after the big front-page update is a main factor in deterring any sort of "RARA ERMAHGERD CHANGE IS BADDDDDD!" feeling.

With the change on the homepage I felt that as a whole the site was moving a way from having a very prominent blue color scheme, and this only seems to be a continuation of the pattern. Personally, when the change was first made I really didn't like it simply because I liked the heavy presence of blue on the website. I felt that it made The Escapist have character, if that makes any sense.

The badges thing was an oddly specific thing to change. I mean, I was really into badges when I first started, but now they're just kind of meh. It doesn't hurt though.

Overall I'm relatively okay with forum change. I know it'll probably take some time to get used to it, but I'm not particularly angry about anything.

Opinion after actually looking and comparing at the new and old format:

After looking at the previous and current forum styles the impression I get with the newer layout is that it seems to have made things appear...more organized? It's as if the old layout was very minimalistic to the point where it was fairly easy to miss a button or a feature if you didn't already know it was there. I think with the new format it's more apparent that yes, this is in fact an organized forum with a variety of functions available to the users. While some of the veterans of the site may find the change unnecessary or even intrusive (since they already knew where all the functionality can be found) I welcome the change and like the fact that functions such as the search forums button are more easily seen.

Daystar Clarion:

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:
What?

*Yawn*

So last week.

PubClub memberships were so 2010.

Yeah, I mean, who likes custom titles anymore, right?

Don't be sad Fappy, I'm sure you like your lame ass normal title.

Pfft, I'm happy to show of my status as a Nobel Laureate.

OT: Love the new look guys!

Daystar Clarion:
You mods and your perks.

One day...

And lo did Daystar decend from the heavens embuned with righteous fury and the infinite powers bestowed upon him by the gods of Escapia.

And then we threw socks at him for secret reasons.

TimeLord:

Daystar Clarion:
You mods and your perks.

One day...

And lo did Daystar decend from the heavens embuned with righteous fury and the infinite powers bestowed upon him by the gods of Escapia.

And then we threw socks at him for secret reasons.

I wish to learn of these secret reason...

But then they wouldn't be secret anymore...

A moral dilemma appeared!

Not the biggest fan, but as with every update; I'll get used to it and forget all about the old one.

To tell the truth, I hardly noticed the change. But it looks so much better with the overall flow of the rest of the site. Kudos.

These upgrades never ruin anything but they never improve anything either. Wouldn't the designing time be better spent fixing the poll-eating issue?

My only issue is the report button.

I know I'm eventually going to hit it accidently instead of the quote button beside it.

Apart form that it looks good.

Don't know if want... eh i'll get used to it.

Since I'm not a vagina I think it's cool. Things are a little easier on the eyes than they were and nothing massive has changed. My only real comment for improvement is that the profile information and, to a lesser extent, the user groups should also be updated to look like this. The old style feels out of place when it's put next to this update.

I like it.

*Leaves to dispense goodwill to the rest of the Escapist.*

I think it needs more colour in it, we already have plenty of white, adding grey doesn't really help.

I think the avatar placement might look better if it lined up with the other things on the side, or vice versa.

I think the report/flag button is looking at me strangely, I will accidentally press it instead of quoting someone.

I just noticed the change, thanks.

I have been toggling back and forth and would like to agree with the following suggestions that have been pointed out in this thread.

-Avatar should be aligned left with the texts.
-The "new" text, when there have been more posts on topics, doesn't have a very nice colour. Normal red would be nicer.
-The grey bar on top is too big and separates posts too much, making each post look like they are their own topic.
-Also, the user name is kinda lonely up there. It seems so disconnected from the rest of your profile.

I know you do not cater customers using mobile devices, but that quote button and report button are seriously too close to each other. I checked this site on my mobile and I can guarantee some misplaced reports in the future. As for getting used to having them on top of posts instead of below, I'm sure it's just a matter of some practise.

I like that when hovering over post and quote button, they are highlighted blue. If you're not changing the report button anywhere, I'd like to suggest that the button is highlighted red when hovered over.

But overall, the look matches the rest of the site much better now. One last thing, when is the toggle function going to be taken out?

I really like this new look.
The posts are separated nicely, the avatars are a bit bigger, jet not to big, the red buttons were annoying and were sticking to much out.

All in all, great change.

Ed130:

I know I'm eventually going to hit it accidently instead of the quote button beside it.

That's fine. Every post is looked at, so accidentally reported posts will simply be dismissed.

It's ugly, grotesque, hideous, and all those other negative words!

I really don't like it, I don't like the bars in between the posts

Darren716:

The bars really do need to go, they break up the forum too much.

I'm mostly ambivalent to the look. The big problem is that the overall box is...Well, big. I also concur with people who would like a little more contrast going on. Or maybe just make the bar Escapist blue.

Xan Krieger:

Darren716:

The bars really do need to go, they break up the forum too much.

+2

I dont like it. Its not a bad look, but it just seems like its taken the parts that should be as unobtrusive a part of the forums as possible and made them more noticeable.

Its form over function... It should be designed to have as little distraction from reading posts as possible. To me the new design has increased the distractions, particularly with the bar between each post.

It looks great and works badly.

Well, it's been a week. The only thing for me, is still getting used to the quote button being at the top of the post. I have caught myself several times almost quoting the post below what I want.

Already used to the rest. It looks good.

EDIT: Except (on the front page) I still think the 'Latest, Features, Videos, Reviews, News' tabs should all fade into the next when scrolling your mouse across them. Just like the seven boxes below them, that display the content, do. The snapping from one to another, when I just happen to move my mouse from the top of my screen to the bottom, is kinda annoying. But either people don't notice like I do, or even care either way. Cuz it's been that way for some time.

*sadface

To be quite honest I don't mind the change at all. I actually like it a bit. The only issue I have is that when I try to change the text size it ends up resetting to the small text. That's the only issue I have. It'll just take some time getting used to like when the last one was implemented.

Nasrin:

Ed130:

That's fine. Every post is looked at, so accidentally reported posts will simply be dismissed.

How many 'false positives' do you get anyway? I've already sent one today instead of making a quote.

Susan Arendt:

FalloutJack:

CJ1145:
They are getting worse every time!

Please, Escapist! Please just stop.

This feels like it was designed at the turn of the century.

I cannot hit that toggle fast enough.

Did Ray Charles help or was it Stevie Wonder?

If you would care to voice constructive criticism, that might help us better understand why you don't appreciate the change. But there's no need to be a jerk.

Remember Lisa Foiles? "Constructive Criticism" is a lost art.

OT: I got used to them quickly, and now prefer them for some reason.

Looks good! And I wasn't that into the other site changes initially, so..good work!

lacktheknack:

Susan Arendt:

FalloutJack:

I cannot hit that toggle fast enough.

Did Ray Charles help or was it Stevie Wonder?

If you would care to voice constructive criticism, that might help us better understand why you don't appreciate the change. But there's no need to be a jerk.

Remember Lisa Foiles? "Constructive Criticism" is a lost art.

OT: I got used to them quickly, and now prefer them for some reason.

Actually, most folks are perfectly capable of explaining what they don't like in a calm and civil way - they're the people we listen to when considering potential changes.

The only issue I have is the colour of the bars between posts. The grey just does't work for me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here