No Right Answer: Best U.S. President Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best U.S. President Ever

President Obama is cool and all, but there used to be an aura of larger than life greatness to U.S. presidents. This week the boys dive into which president worked his mojo the best.

Watch Video

I think it was kind of obvious it was gonna be Abe vs Teddy. But hey it a good match up anyway. =p

2 things that could have bumped the Teddy Roosevelt argument: 1: He gave a 45 minute speech AFTER BEING SHOT! He didn't even have the bullet removed later. 2: Said of him after his "death": "Death had to take him sleeping, for if he had been awake, there would have been a fight."

No love for JFK or George Washington?

What about the very first man, George Washington?

He was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War and later became the First President by Unanimous Decision. He even presided over the convention that drafted the Constitution.

Without George there would be NO Lincoln or FDR. Though I'm surprised Kyle didn't bring up the fact that FDR served Four, yes, FOUR, terms, which caused the Constitution to be amended to only allow the Two that there is today.

So much flame bait, but hell, why not.

Psst, they're both Republicans.

Uh oh. Let's see here. Chris sided against Batman and won and sided against Teddy Roosevelt and won. Also sided against Dr. Who. Now all he has to do is side against Tesla (and win) to become the most hated person on the internet.

Qitz:
What about the very first man, George Washington?

He was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War and later became the First President by Unanimous Decision. He even presided over the convention that drafted the Constitution.

Without George there would be NO Lincoln or FDR.

that is true and after him John Adams and Jefferson etc...

but I gotta say FDR,Truman,Eisenhower,JFK and JBJ was a good string of great modern presidents that lead us after WWII and early years of Vietnam War.

also Lincoln's four children died, his wife went to an insane asylum, and he suffered a depressed breakdown. and he carried on

CAPTCHA: old codger

Uh oh...I haven't even started typing and the Captcha's already getting snarky on me. And why are the Captcha words rocking back and forth as if trying to hypnotise me?

Anyways...I just have to say the fact that Abe Lincoln wrestled surprised me. Although...this does bring a certain politician we had here in Minnesota. You guys should know which one.

Teddy also managed to ditch the Secret Service to spend a few hours in a submarine at sea. It was kind of a big deal in the early 1900's.

FDR is automatically FTL because of Japanese interment camps and court packing threats. Truman was a little bitch who instead of backing the Vietnamese backed the French(First rule of modern warfare, NEVER BACK THE FRENCH) which led pretty directly to the Vietnam war. Eisenhower agreed with FDR to work with the Russians instead of letting Patton steamroll them out of Europe which led to the cold war. JFK was utterly bankrupt as a human being and cheated on his wife every chance he got and was killed before anything but the Cuban Missle Crisis could occur. Don't even get me started on LBJ.

In any case, the answer is obviously Washington, original American Badass.

I personally would rather pick the other presidential Roosevelt, FDR. But Lincoln and Teddy are fine choices as well.

Forget running on the same bill. We need to time travel and have them fight in a match.

Grover Cleveland

He was the 22nd AND 24th President. No other president got 2 numbers.

Just finished watching if I don't see the Photoshopped twenty five dollar bill of Teddy and Abe in a wrestling ring by next week, I'll lose all faith in the internet.

Against Abe: he may have freed the slaves, but he also revoked the protections of the Constitution in the north and allowed military tribunals to hang American citizens on hearsay. (Which was found unConstitutional after his death)

When it comes to working the Mojo? JFK worked his mojo into Marilyn Monroe. 'Nuff Said

But this isn't about Mojo this is about badassery it seems. I would have to go with Teddy. Abe was awesome and everything but Teddy was quite the badass.
But what about Jackson; he was a bit of a d-bag (so was Teddy, just ask the Indians; that's right you can't because you probably don't know any) but he was also a serious badass.

Nicolaus99:

Not really flamebait because I'm pretty sure that most people know that the Republicans were the liberal party while the Democrats were the conservative party back in those days.

OT: Must resist urge to paste my AP US History essay on why Lincoln is the best president. I will say that while Lincoln is a superior president, Teddy was a far more badass one.

Chris' shirt was awesome!

You forgot to say Teddy is so strong he beat up malaria!Also he was pretty good in Arsenic and Old Lace the best movie of all time.

EDIT: related to malaria. When he threw the strike to attack malaria in Panama it was so strong it separated North America from South America. That's why there is a canal in Panama now.

TR fought in a war HIMSELF before he was president.

W sent OTHER people to war for no reason while he was president. (AND he went AWOL from the National Guard during Viet Nam.)

There's no friggin' comparing those things!

Lincoln's the obvious shoe in because, you know, Lincoln. JFK's up there for the space program, if nothing else. Washington, 'cause, you know, Washington.

But Teddi? I mean, obviously the man was a total badass, but this wasn't "most badass president", this was "best president". How about the other Roosevelt, who brought us out of the Great Depression and led us through World War II? The only President in our history to serve more than two terms, and he served FOUR, after which Congress said, "We can't handle so much awesome," and legislated that no one would ever be able to replicate his feat.

Also, you guys should totally do a "worst US president" episode.

Nicolaus99:

The values of Democrats and Republicans switched at FDR (FDR ushering in the modern Democrat party, and the Republicans taking something approximating their current stance to oppose him).

Thus, if they were to identify with a modern party, they would both be Democrats.

Although, actually, wasn't Teddi a Bull Moose? I seem to remember him getting kicked out of his party, and he said, "I'm the forerunner of the BULL MOOSE PARTY! WHO'S WITH ME!" And the people were with him.

*Wikipedia* Oh, it was only nicknamed the Bull Moose Party. Official name of the party?

Progressive Party.

So, yeah, Democrat.

Nicolaus99:

Except back in Lincoln's day, the Republicans were the liberals and the Democrats were the conservatives. The parties have seen nearly a complete ideological switch since then.

As far as current politics are concerned, Lincoln was a democrat.

Just sayin'.

Awesome episode, and I was ready to be disappointed in you guys for going off the usual debate material.

On that note, though, this episode needs a follow-up for best *Fictional* US President.

FUN FACT: Abraham Lincoln mastered in law and became a lawer without attending a post-secondary school.

FDR would have been a better choice for a debate, but TR makes it fun. :)

Gonna have to go with Lincoln for my vote. As for everyone saying George Washington, you realise that he was a huge racist and when it came to war, mercy was never his strong point.

Judge fails for taking idiotic logical fallacies to be worth points. Bad judge! *whacks with newspaper* You don't do that anymore! On topic, Lincoln was a good president, and Teddy was easily one of the most badass presidents, but I'm just gonna leave this one here:

James. K. Polk.

In one term, accomplished all of his goals, ended a war, seized Oregon from Britain and the Southwest from Mexico, started naval academies and a separate treasury, was an outstanding orator, and came up from out of nowhere to be the strongest candidate, even against the incumbent. Boom.

Hmmm... couldn't care less if I tried.
I guess as long as they do not invade other countries they are good presidents in my books, but there is a fat chance of that happening :-)

Just going to point this out, not because it's important to the debate, but because it's mildly interesting. The Canadians don't have Queen Elizabeth II of England on their currency, they have Queen Elizabeth of Canada. Physically the same person, but leagally and politically two different people.

Neither, F.D.R was the best president.

Am I the only one who caught Kyle's George Carlin reference at the end?

Great video to prove how little some of us Americans know about our own history.

BehattedWanderer:
James. K. Polk.

In one term, accomplished all of his goals, ended a war, seized Oregon from Britain and the Southwest from Mexico, started naval academies and a separate treasury, was an outstanding orator, and came up from out of nowhere to be the strongest candidate, even against the incumbent. Boom.

Well, he did end a war, but only after starting it. Other than that, yeah, he did those things.

But best President ever? James Madison.

He started the war that brought together America from a collection of like 15 or 16 states, and made them a nation in more than name, his major rival political party, the Federalists, managed to self-destruct itself, which propelled the US into the Area of Good Feelings, and he brought backwoodsmen like Andrew Jackson and officers like Winfield Scott from nobodies and next to nobodies to people known all across America as Heroes. Plus his chosen successor, James Monroe, and his Secretary of State, John Quincy Adams, created the Monroe Doctrine.

So, in closing: James Madison,*in comic book guys voice* Best. President. Ever.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put away my inner APUSH student.

Bill Nye the Zombie:

BehattedWanderer:
James. K. Polk.

Well, he did end a war, but only after starting it. Other than that, yeah, he did those things.

Well, yeah. You don't take the entire American Southwest from Mexico without a fight. But really, a three year war, over and done with a clear victory and cessions of land to the victor, ending on reasonably diplomatic ground, opening up the road for a second transfer of land a few years later? Haven't seen that quite some time.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here