Our Little Pony

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

RedEyesBlackGamer:

00slash00:
wow, i didnt know this was happening. after years of women, justifiably, being upset over the fact that men objectify female cosplayers, females are now doing the same thing to men just for wearing a shirt with a picture of a pony on it. this is not the kind of equality we should be working towards...

The situation in the comic did not and generally does not happen. Genders were reversed to illustrate how it is wrong.

But it doesn't happen in my experience with the genders reversed, either.

I met plenty of female bronies during my last anime convention, and there was nary a hint of sexism from anyone, boys or girls.

This thread is the definition of irony.

A comic is posted about tolerance using characters from a show about tolerance, and then the trolls, haters and militant bronies show up spreading hate and making everyone look like a twat.

It seems i have to show up at some conventions. And all it takes is a pony shirt. Pretty nice.

Threeseventyfive:

A comic is posted about tolerance using characters from a show about tolerance, and then the trolls, haters and militant bronies show up spreading hate and making everyone look like a twat.

What did you expect? You're on the internet, son.

saruman31:
It seems i have to show up at some conventions. And all it takes is a pony shirt. Pretty nice.

Well, it was a red shirt, so maybe they thought the guy was cosplaying as Big Macintosh.

After all, most Applejack cosplayers are just pretty girls in cowgirl outfits, so it stands to reason that her brother would just be a dude in jeans and a T-shirt.

Pinkamena:

Threeseventyfive:

That doesn't excuse all these morons from being morons.

Here's my advice to both sides:

HATERS: You don't have to watch the show, nobody is forcing you to. Just ignore the bronies if you don't like them. Trolling people is just going to make things worse for everyone.

MILITANT BRONIES: Stop trying to bully people into becoming bronies, you're just going to make them hate you. Remember, we're here to spread LOVE AND TOLERANCE, not more hate. Stop making all bronies look like idiots.

Threeseventyfive:

The word "tolerance" didn't ever appear in MLP.

I... ehm... well... what?
Sorry, but right now, i am somewhat confused!
The comic by itself, kinda funny, i tried to get the reference, read the article, read a lot of comments, but now i have even less an idea of what this is trying to express, who is arguing with whom about what exactly and so on.
I would like to ask if someone can explain this to me, but i guess it would only leave me with all clarities eliminated.
Yeah...

Alterego-X:

Threeseventyfive:

Okay, maybe it didn't but still my point stands.

The show's entire message is about friendship. Are the radical bronies trying to be friends with non-bronies? No, they're trying to bully them into being what they want them to be.

The radical bronies stopped trying to get rid of hate using friendship and began using hate to fight the hate, resulting in a giant shitstorm of hatred from both sides.

Threeseventyfive:

Pinkamena:

Threeseventyfive:

HATERS: You don't have to watch the show, nobody is forcing you to. Just ignore the bronies if you don't like them. Trolling people is just going to make things worse for everyone.

MILITANT BRONIES: Stop trying to bully people into becoming bronies, you're just going to make them hate you. Remember, we're here to spread LOVE AND TOLERANCE, not more hate. Stop making all bronies look like idiots.

It's not gonna happen, mate. As Pinkamena so excellently put "What did you expect? You're on the internet, son." These people aren't going to change.
Fortunately, there are people, like myself, who dislike this whole Brony thing but generally keep it to ourselves.
Occasionally when I'm mad and need to vent Bronies get caught in the crossfire but I don't actively go out of my way to piss on every brony's parade.
Though if there actually was a parade outside my house I wouldn't hesitate to throw piss-filled condoms out the window. I hate parades. so loud and obnoxious...

Aw, but I like stupid sexy mudcrab - does this mean we'll never see it again? I was holding out hope... /sadness

I never did like the would-be gatekeeper types. We can all enjoy whatever we want at whatever level we want. Some -not all just some/a few- geeks may not know a character inside and out but they like to cosplay so they saw an opportunity to make an amazing costume and strut their stuff on the con floor. That to me is just another gateway to fully geeking out over a subject.

There is a difference between policing the community and ridding it of the unsavory types (i.e. the immature jerks who would be fired in real life if they spoke like they did on the internet) and people who are expressing their own inner geek.

Seriously, if I put on my jaded glasses for a minute here to me it's like this guy would get angry at the seven year old who doesn't know about the original Pokémon rather than - I don't know - try to introduce the kid to the new red/blue/green revived version that came out.

Forget "gatekeepers" the geek community is open to everyone and anyone who wants to share their nerdy side without the fear of being harassed or belittled because of their supposed 'nerd cred' or lack thereof.

*removes jaded glasses* Man I can't wait for Dishonored - mind you I think I'll wait a while until the bugs get ironed out before I actually play it. Totally think there will be a few in the first week, it is just too awesome not to have a gamebreaker - amirite?

Just wondering, besides Lara, there any other games with female protagonists coming out anytime soon? I can't really think about any right now... *eyes glaze over a little* Does Bioshock: Infinite count? Hm...

*looks around*

Wow, the mere mention of that MLP show and controversy in the same post will light the internet on fire. I knew the show was revolutionary but this is ridiculous.

Wow... Rainbow Dash has a hell of a raunchy side there.

Threeseventyfive:

Pinkamena:

Threeseventyfive:

Yes, as a wise man once said....

This world is made of.... Love and Peace!!!!!!!!!!!

*looks around*

I hope I'm not the only one who gets that.

That's not very funny! Sexual harassment against Bronies due to our incredibly attractive lifestyle is a very real thing! It's NOT a benefit that a lot of women find us irresistible!

Captcha: Be mine
Oh yes...

Threeseventyfive:

A comic is posted about tolerance...

Aaand this is where im going to stop you. This i a comic that goes about promoting tolerance by being as dickish as possible.
This comic is a slap in the face to every boy or man who has been through sexual harassment/assault, and a slap in the face that would not be tolerated if it were the other way around.
There is not a statistically significant difference in the rates of male and female sexual harassment, the difference is that men are supposed to enjoy it, because as a male you either want sex all the time or face social stigmatization. Its a problem that people cant see simply because they look away.
Not only that the whole thing is based on a straw man that the author of the article SPECIFICALLY SAID he was not saying.
Seriously if THIS is the mouthpiece of the gaming generation, gamers deserve their reputation as immature halfwits.

That's why I stick to dragons.
Nobody fucks with the dragons.

EDIT: I am sitting here, STUNNED at the multitudes of people who didn't get the obvious gag at work. Small wonder this topic reached the depths it did.

Soak:
The comic by itself, kinda funny, i tried to get the reference, read the article, read a lot of comments, but now i have even less an idea of what this is trying to express, who is arguing with whom about what exactly and so on.
I would like to ask if someone can explain this to me, but i guess it would only leave me with all clarities eliminated.
Yeah...

essentially it is using reverse satire to mock the fact that many guys view all girls at geek culture events as potential frauds pretending to be interested to reap the attention and satisfy their shallow egos. The reason it uses characters from My Little Pony is because it's something that alot of guys are into, who would most likely be horrified, if while at an MLP convention, they were accused of only being there to get chicks by pretending to be interested in the show.

first off I just wanted to say I found this image and consider it awesome....

I am a male of the species homosapien and I do watch and enjoy MLP. However I do not consider myself a brony, because I don't partake in the social aspects of MLP fandom... I just watch the show. Would I be correct in my assertion?

Alterego-X:

Threeseventyfive:

Well yes, because in reality the goal is acceptance, and THAT is the goal of MLP. But for some they need baby steps to get there, and so first comes non aggression, then tolerance, and eventually, hopefully, acceptance.

So is that cigar a thing in the cartoon or artistic license? Id watch a show with a pony smoking a giant cigar all the time.

CaptainMarvelous:
So is that cigar a thing in the cartoon or artistic license? Id watch a show with a pony smoking a giant cigar all the time.

Sorry, just a license a kid targeted show having smoking hasn't happened in a while... outside of anime.

Soak:
Yeah...

The comic has genders reversed. The idea is that (contrary to what the article says) no one should be able to tell you why and how you want to attend an event or how you "dont deserve it" or "arnt a real goer" because you dress in a way they deem is "seeking attention". They dont deserve to gatekeep conventions. Male goers usually do this to women who cosplay in skimpy outfits, saying they are there just for the attention and arnt "real" comicon goers. The article is an example of how common and stupid this behaviour is.

The idea is to highlight that no one has the right to say why you are going to an event you chose to attend or belittle you for how you went and what you wore or what you like.

Threeseventyfive:

Pinkamena:

Threeseventyfive:

This. Fucking this.

Both extremes annoy the hell out of me. Why can't people just decide what they wanna watch on TV without others telling them "you're a gay pedophile horse fucker" or "well you're a hater GTFO".

And yes, we have been called that before. Not true, but it is the Internet...

WolfCross:
snip

BiscuitTrouser:
snip

I've thought about that, but then again, this thread kinda is irony, considering some comments missed the point, some even replicating the issues. But maybe that just proves Grey Carter's point right.

However, thanks for the clarification.

So, honest question: not being completely immersed in internet culture, I have always wondered what this Brony lark is? Is it simply people who like watching My Little Pony? I googled it and there was some fairly disturbed imagery associated with the whole thing which I quickly backed away from.

Res Plus:
So, honest question: not being completely immersed in internet culture, I have always wondered what this Brony lark is? Is it simply people who like watching My Little Pony? I googled it and there was some fairly disturbed imagery associated with the whole thing which I quickly backed away from.

A brony is any adult male (or female) fan of Friendship is Magic. The girls sometimes prefer the term "pegasisters", but brony can mean both.

The disturbing images, unfortunately, is the result of a very small amount of people in the fandom being into rule 34 aka "fapping". The community calls it "clopping".

They are, like I said, a small but vocal group. 90% of the fandom absolutely hates it, or just doesn't care about it and takes the stance of "if they aren't hurting anyone, then fine".

What sucks is that the vocal minority makes the rest of us look bad. I personally hate the fact that that crap (rule 34) exists, but if they aren't hurting anyone, then fine. I just don't want to see it. At all.

There are many different kinds of bronies. Some are really into it, and have tons of music, art, collect the toys, etc. Others just enjoy watching the show and follow the websites (like myself). But the base requirement for being a brony is that you enjoy watching the show. How far you take it is up to you.

Hope that clears a few things up.

I read the hell outta Gunnerkrigg Court..

*googles*

Dammit

snowfi6916:
Snip... Hope that clears a few things up.

It most certainly does, thanks! Seems to be a surprisingly emotive subject for people.

I am just about old enough to remember My Little Pony the first time round, amazed it is still going strong!

Have fun all.

Timberwolf0924:
I read the hell outta Gunnerkrigg Court..

*googles*

Dammit

I lol'ed. Too funny =P.

Even after all this time, I still don't understand how a brony is a thing that happens...

Female Bronies, aka Pegasisters... I can understand why they're be jealous of the guys getting all the attention, I suppose, but really, come on, this is MY LITTLE PONY we're talking about! Have we forgotten about "Love & the T-word"? ...I honestly hate the phrase, but still, come on, we're supposed to be a friendly community, we all love Friendship is Magic, so why be jealous just because a certain demographic is getting more attention then you, ESPECIALLY since NEITHER of you was the original target demographic anyway! The reason why adult males get more attention is because NO ONE expected guys to like My Little Pony, let alone ADULT guys, so of course the media is going to fixate on them. That doesn't mean the guys are only in it for the attention. Again, have you forgotten WHY you're fans in the first place? Ugh... to think there would actually be controversy within a community like this.

I thought the symbolism was pretty clear... "My Little Pony is for girls, so any boy who shows up to the con must be in it for the attention and treated like an object" is the same mentality as "Games (or comics, or whatever) are just for Cheetoes addicted neckbeards, so any girl who shows up to a con must be there for attention, and therefore be objectified." It's a very intelligent and insightful comic. Also, Sexual Harassment Fluttershy is creepy and will haunt my nightmares. So thanks for that.

Man, I WISH I could get hated on like that. >8/

Moonlight Butterfly:
I'm sure there are women who exploit male geek attention to promote their modelling career. There are obvious cases like some women who were at the con to promote their salon by only wearing superhero body paint and tiny patches covering their naughty bits (They had no interest in comics by their own admission) and they complained about being ejected from the con.

BUT

there is NO WAY to separate regular cosplayers from ''geeky people'' without it turning into some sort of fascist regime and futher promoting the idea that women aren't playing video games when we are. Female cosplayers should be left alone.

It annoys the crap out of me when someone sexily roleplays a character like an underwear model that I personally see to be a tough badass but I would never think of questioning that persons 'geek cred.' If they have put the time and effort into the cosplay then they must at least care about the game on some level.

Booth Babes are totally a different matter the industry needs to get rid of them to stop promoting this boys club mentality. I know you guys like them but they personally seriously make me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome (like I'm sure some oiled hunky guy in a speedo handing out flyers would make some of you guys feel). There's nothing like being reminded you aren't the main demographic in the most skeevy way possible.

Do you know who you're cosplaying, and what property they're from? That's all that really needs to be said.

The "fake geeks" are absolutely NO better than the Booth Babes.

Dragon*Con is *filled* with posers who show up *PURELY* so they can bait the geeks -- both male and female -- into unsafe one-night-stands. And then you can go into all the "Normal" people who show up in groups to laugh at the cosplayers and con attendees. It has gotten worse every year, to the point where they've started organising their "events."

I know that feel.

Except, you know, not at conventions. Unless it's Shepardfest.

I'm sure Joker get's harassed all the time at his little horse conventions though, women just love snarky cripples.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here