Our Little Pony

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

"You are 6s trying to be 9s" is just a really horrible thing to say. 'I'm going to insult your appearance then I'm going to call you out for being attention seekers who are trying to feel prettier than you actually are.' I would not associate with someone who had that kind of attitude.

This seems completely inaccurate!

Why would girls be hitting on nerds? /sarcasm.

I thought you were being serious until i clicked on the petty little tit link.

You WERE being serious. Sarcastically.

uhohimdead:

Toilet:

uhohimdead:

pretend to be into something just to get subjected to sexual harassment? i doubt that highly

it's not fun for either gender

Actually the idea of getting sexually harassed by a group of women engorges my sexual organ.

Even if it was someone grossly unattractive, the ego boost still happens.

that's still doubtful you would welcome harassment... if you don't expect it and you are caught off guard you will feel bullied and put down. no one likes that, not even you.

I dunno, it might depend on the person really. I know I wouldn't have reacted like the guy in the comic, It's impossible to say for certain until you are in the scenario though.

Geez, really..?

Are we going to keep villifying men in general because there are halfbrained fuckwits out there who don't know how to behave properly?

I'm a biker, I drive a motorcycle and I wear a padded leatherjacket most of the time when I'm outside. I also happen to be bald because I'm just that lucky and since my face doesn't appear valid unless I have a beard, I look like "one of those types" who carries a weapon and will kill anyone who fucks with me. This is the look I get from every single person I pass on the street. I haven't even hit anyone, as an adult, I'm a borderline pacifist.

Yet I keep getting judged by everyone.

I also don't know what exactly I want to keep doing with my life, I'm not goal oriented, nor am I capable of planning for the future, but because I'm a man, this is expected of me. I have to take charge, otherwise I'm weak.

I can't have a polite sit-down with people and work out problems, because that makes me weak as well.

I can't be in a relationship and be a gentle, thoughtful person, because that's not attractive or respectable for a man.

The point is that men are subjected to just as much bigotry and prejudice as women and on top of that we're expected to suck it up because we're MEN. Note, that I don't necessarily mind that, I work at getting better at all of it, but I'm worried that I'll turn into a mean and spiteful person and hurt people along the way.

Having thought about all that, I actually find the comic extremely offensive, because it's genderbiased towards men and even worse, this feeling I have about it and this statement is instantly invalid, because of my gender.
Some will probably think that because of the irony of this comic, it serves me right to feel what some girls or women feel when being harrassed, again because of my gender.

Here's a fucking solution for all of you people so committed to welcoming women to being nerds and allow them to enjoy games, cartoons and comics as much as us men, while defending them with reverse genderbias comics:

Don't welcome them, don't allow them anything and don't defend them. They don't need it, because they're people and the only thing you're doing by giving this attention is singling them out as someone inferior that needs "our" help.
Stop giving the issue attention.
If you see someone giving girls a hard time, don't be a hero and stand up for the girl, instead question the offender and his or her motives and why they're being like that.
Point out to them that they're being dicks.

If the intention of this comic is to be a sarcastic reminder, then I loathe it. I absolutely hate it. If it's satire, then fine, I respect that, but it's no better or different than the assholes at cons throwing cosplayers leers and lewd comments and that's what pisses me off, because it's only making it worse. People, like me, take offense. Less intelligent men will go off on a rant about being singled out again, instead of thinking of the whole gender issue going both ways, and will just stoke the fires.

So either men, like me, have the right to feel offended by this, or women will have to suck it up just as we do, not because they're a different gender, but because they're people.

Gender is only as big an issue as we make of it, by giving it attention the way we do.

I *really* hope that whoever reads this gets the point and sees it for what it is.
Now excuse me while I go punch a random person, first one being the person who comments this and misunderstands the message.

JayBlanc:
Oh dear god the amount of people commenting who failed to get the REALLY OBVIOUS POINT.
I wonder what would happen if someone posted "A Modest Proposal" to the Escapist...

HA. I read that! ^.^

That would be an interesting social experiment.

Geo Da Sponge:
snip

I agree with you on every point you have made thus far so rather than reiterating your points, I am just going to post my support.

Also, I am surprised by the number of people that didn't get the comic, though I suppose that for people who aren't familiar with some of the current gender issues in our geek culture the joke wouldn't be so clear.

Scrumpmonkey:

Glass Joe the Champ:

Yal:
I am beginning to suspect this entire comic may be fiction.

Wow, brilliant work there Sherlock. :P

Basically, the comic is making a point about male geeks who respond to females at Cons, particularly attractive ones that defy the usually "geek" stereotype, with unwarranted hostility.

The point they're making is this: How would you feel if you liked something stereotypically girly like My Little Pony and everyone harassed you or thought you were an attention whore because of it? That's how girls often feel when they show up at cons, despite being genuinely interested in nerdy stuff.

Yeah, the comic's drenched in sarcasm and satire, so it's a bit hard to understand.

This isn't helped by the fact that there is a majority male component to the 'Brony' community. There is also the fact that they are actively looking to welcome more female fans to make the community look a little more well adjusted and so don't function like a 'typical' convention crowd.

I'm not saying the point isn't valid or even cleverly made but it would have worked better with a gaming convention setup rather than a pony one. It just seems a little... off in its current form.

There is also the fact that any male 'Brony' who was sexually 'harassed' by three women dressed as part of the mane six probably wouldn't mind. Like at all.

I agree with this. It took me a long while to actually get the point of the comic because the point was completely deflected by the fandom involved. After I did get it there was a very long "ohhhh, I get it" moment, but that was followed by a "that...didnt really work" moment too.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, wait I'm not sorry because are just that wrong to the point of it being insulting even, I couldn't possibly disagree with your statement any more then I am, nothing is better then Sexy Mudcrab.

Carter, I think you should be much LESS subtle. There is a sweet spot to this kind of comedy, making the satire TOO deep not only confuses people and makes them misunderstand, but also detracts from the comic impact as people spend too much time trying to figure out what you're really trying to say.

And being someone who just got back from Otakon, I have to say that between MLP, Adventure Time, and Homestuck, it's hard to tell it's an anime convention anymore. And there was a pretty incredible amount of female MLP cosplayers. I've never seen that much of a problem with sexism and such. But it is occasionally grating for professional models who admittedly know little about the material cosplaying. But it is a pretty tiny issue that isn't worth writing Internet articles about (then again there doesn't seem to be an issue small enough to get mad about).

Scrumpmonkey:

uhohimdead:

Scrumpmonkey:

What are you talking about? MLP conventions are basically one big pit of horny, available females. Why do you think MLP is so popular? The show? Pfffttt.

I have the sneaking suspicion that many convention places are being rapidly booked due to misconceptions about forceful MLP themed foursomes.

this guy is wrong on so many levels...

Wrong as in factually incorrect, or wrong as in sick in the head? Because i can plead guilty to both.

On a side note other places to meet attractive, single and and downright assertive women include; Star-trek conventions, LAN parties, Games Workshop and Pokemon TGC competitions. If you can't get laid at an Pokemon Card Game Regional then there is no hope for you. Its like an orgy on steroids. They just won't take no for an answer.

Really?! This is an out rage! My poor fellow bonies been treated like little more than meat // Something must be done at once to stop all those horny, available females!

On an unrelated note, does anyone know when the next MLP Con is? I'm asking for a . . . friend

-M

Rainbow "Hannibal" Dash gives me a strong A-Team vibe. But maybe it's just me...

People like what People like.
But Harrasment is something I will not take happening to me or any other victim.

Torrasque:
In fact, where can I find attractive girls cosplaying well? I'd pay to see that.

Could post more, but of the ones I've seen these two are the best (in my humble opinion, that is.)

Whoa... the more I read into all the related articles around and all the forums comments, the less I understand about the problem displayed. (brain melt) "Hur Dur.."

Edit : Oh! Now I get it. Gee, I'm slow...

level27smartass:

Yal:
While I have heard people speculate that bronies don't really like the show, they're only after the attention, I didn't think this was the sort of attention they meant.

I am beginning to suspect this entire comic may be fiction.

Well see I for one use to ironically embrace as it would make people angry to hilarious a degree Upon watching it further it grew on me and many other people. Take for example the /b/ rebellion after image macros of ponies started pop up mods start handing out bans skittles. which made those who hate ponies rejoice, where bronies came back with full force. Bronies magnged to beat the 4chan mods and anti-brony lurkers into submission. Which ended with us getting our own /mlp/ board. The actions of moderators actually made people who like the show stand up for it which is pretty cool.

You were given /mlp/ because everybody hated you and wanted you gone, it's not some victory mark.
Not that it worked, ponies are still everywhere and we hate it even more. Don't see how that helps your cause.

Is the one dressed like Rainbow Dash Erin?

Revolutionaryloser:
I mean, if you're a woman and you don't even know what Rainbow-Dash's eye colour is, you have no business attending cons.

... or animating DJ ponies. Sibsy, I'm looking at you, damn it.
Personal preference be damned, they are RED!

Has anyone made fanart of sexual molestation Fluttershy yet?

On second thought, I rather not know.

The third panel, that girl with the purple hair. I feel violated by that smile, I may need counseling.

Great comic, although I find my faith in humanity dips every time I hear about people acting like idiots.

Immsys:
The third panel, that girl with the purple hair. I feel violated by that smile, I may need counseling.

Great comic, although I find my faith in humanity dips every time I hear about people acting like idiots.

I'm quite surprised you have any faith left after... well, any given day. Does it replenish with sleep?

oh god, it starts all over again....

I see what the point the original article tried to get, in spite of the flailing failure of his wording. He is upset that when he goes to a con or gathering, he expects to find people gathered because they share interests and help promote and enjoy the geek culture. Instead he often gets pretty faces in sexy outfits that know nothing of the culture, the interests and who's sole purpose is to stand there and look pretty. He sees that them as showing a low self esteem approaching people who would give them attention, the geeks. They are a group that is often seen as hard up for attention and give it easily over a pretty face and sexy body. The implications from this are insulting, as it pretty much makes a case that these women who do this do so because they are playing the stereotype of the geek for their own esteem. I can understand why he'd be pissed and a little frustrated when in a place where he seeks to hang out with people of his own cloth, he instead finds them being taken advantage of in a fashion.

I've heard a lot of complaint about this, and I have heard a lot of people misunderstanding his points. From what he describes, he is not expressly talking about hired booth babes or models. He is not talking about fans or people who enjoy the material. He is solely talking about those that dress up, go to the con and thrive off the attention.

The main problem is actual women like that are pretty rare overall, so his complaint either seems a pet peeve at best, or open to inflation to include more people or sorts. And the complaint misses any hint of cause or propagation and instead centers on the facet of annoyance he can actually grasp.

Now, I find there is a small nugget of worthy discussion in all of this. The cons and like are marketed heavily, and sexual marketing rampant. Booth babes, art, costumes and the like all push this idea, play towards the sexy and pander to the stereotype of the awkward male geek unable to get affection elsewhere. I personally think this in turn funnels back into the community and breeds the asshole class that the "pony" comic was satirizing. Worry about the few attention hungry women out there seems pointless, missing the real reason or issue for something that is obvious.

I don't see the original article's writer as trying to say women need to prove themselves. He doesn't propose any test or say women can't join until they answered 50 questions. I don't see him as misogynist, trying to create a secondary class or treat women differently. All I see is a guy frustrated by why he sees and feeling like there is a hand hovering over his culture, swooping down and abusing it for personal gain. In his eyes it is these women who do it for the attention. Myself, I think it is more the marketing agencies and mass consumerism aspects that are so bold because of the culture, and which in turn influence the culture. Presenting women as a piece of meat will have some assholes treat them as such. Presenting them as representations of icons of the culture (say, dressing up in a cosplay of a character), will have some people assume they are at least familiar with it, and treat them as such. Finding out they just wanted an excuse to have people stare at them and pay them compliments though would likely piss people off.

Loop Stricken:
I'm quite surprised you have any faith left after... well, any given day. Does it replenish with sleep?

I wish. To be honest, I started with a lot. Don't worry I'm just as cynical as everyone else now though, damn you interwebz.

Smilomaniac:
-snip-

I like what this man said. Stop treating one side different then the other for the gender difference. Don't go out of your way to welcome them because the difference, don't alienate them because of the difference. Don't make a deal about gender one way or another.

I wonder how, if presented gender neutral, the original article would have been received. If his complaints were not about 6 of 9's but merely about not-fans taking advantage of fan's interest for personal gain, whatever that would be....

Heh, it's funny because practically no one gets it. You've got to remember Grey, SARCASM DOESN'T WORK OVER THE INTERNET. Stop trying, you're just confusing them.

No offense though. I still thought it was pretty funny myself.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
"You are 6s trying to be 9s" is just a really horrible thing to say. 'I'm going to insult your appearance then I'm going to call you out for being attention seekers who are trying to feel prettier than you actually are.' I would not associate with someone who had that kind of attitude.

This, a thousand times this. The attitude that guy displays reeks of projection, and it's sadly something I see way too often.

I can understand why some people would have this mindset. Growing up as a nerd is tough, at best you're just socially alienated and at worst your bullied. That's something that often defines nerd culture, that sense of being an outcast, and finding comfort in comics and games. Resentment towards the "cool kids" is something that should go away as you mature and find your place in the world, but for some that doesn't really seem to happen. When these individuals see what they consider "normal" or "cool" people taking part in their culture they feel threatened.

Part of me can sympathize with that because I too was one of those geeks that spent more time playing Pokemon and Magic the Gathering than Basketball while growing up, and I was often picked on because I was shy and quiet. The thing is I know better than to take that out on others, and a lot better than to make a blatantly sexist rant and accuse people I don't even know of being shallow attention seekers. This guy doesn't deserve your anger so much as your pity.

runic knight:

I like what this man said. Stop treating one side different then the other for the gender difference. Don't go out of your way to welcome them because the difference, don't alienate them because of the difference. Don't make a deal about gender one way or another.

Thank you so much, you have idea how much it means to me, that the first reply I get is one of understanding.

And now on Slowpoke News...
OMG THE TITANIC TOTALLY, like, SANK!

But, seriously, I think SOME people think it's 'okay to hate because I was bullied'.

Get over yourself, you're not THAT important.
If you wanna 'combat bullies', find a more mature way of doing it.

I understand the comic's joke- but things like these do happen (rarely, or somewhat not as often).

When I went to Anime Expo I went as Sasori from Naruto Shippuden. Because I brought a puppet I could control without anyone knowing how I did it as it sat on my shoulder- they were stunned. A girl came up to me and wanted pictures. She was pretty cute actually, and kissed my cheek before moving on with her own sight seeing.

Only brought that up because I would of thought things like these never happened. They can but.. yeah lol. Loved how this was drawn out by the way and Cigar Smoking Rainbow Dash Girl is basically a really cool character might want to use her as an Avatar even lol.

runic knight:

Smilomaniac:
-snip-

DOUBLE SNIP

Thank god you came along and clarified that. I was almost positive I had his post down and I really did want to comment on such a thorough out post, but last thing I need is a random biking dude face punching me for misinterpreting his ideas. That being said, I must say I quite agree with it. Gender differences are only really there when you make them there, for better or for worse. I say just be kind to everyone and treat people you meet with equal respect regardless of them being a dude or dudette. You're bound to make more friends that way and save yourself a lot of trouble.

OT: I got the gist of the "6 to 9" article guy, but he really, REALLY fumbled his words. You can't really go on a major rant about girls looks only to say "I only care about your mind." Maybe ranting instead about people who feign interest in something to take advantage of others would have come off as less sexist and a bit better to get behind, but what's there is there.

Good job on the comic too. Good little bit of satire to go along with a rather interesting subject. It took me a good two reads or so to see that Rainbow Dash chick was actually a chick though. That cigar really threw me for a loop.

Well setting aside what the comic is about, I would in its stead like to comment on the art style.

Twilight panel 3 is well weird with the lack of features of a "real" face. Creepy, but Fluttershy panel 4 is by far the worst due to the no cheeks mouth she has. That one I've an actual issue with. Mostly because it scares me, but also because it feels like cheating the drawing. "I'm terrible at explaining things so take with salt if you'd be so kind".

Now if you'll excuse me, and these fine ladies. We're off to see the artists corner. Good day sirs and ladies.

I'm a little ashamed to say that it took me a while to "get" what the strip was trying to say. The way I see it, it's about four things:
a. It sucks that bronies receive the abuse they get
b. It sucks that some people judge/harass others by their gender, particularily when they claim to be fans of something geeky.
c. For reasons described above, it's an awful thing that genuine fans get passed off as attention whores
d. Somewhere, a pathetic excuse of a human being has thought to herself that Sexual Harrasment Fluttershy is a genius idea for a cosplay just because bronies will HAVE to pay attention to her.

Tiger Sora:
Well setting aside what the comic is about, I would in its stead like to comment on the art style.

Twilight panel 3 is well weird with the lack of features of a "real" face. Creepy, but Fluttershy panel 4 is by far the worst due to the no cheeks mouth she has. That one I've an actual issue with. Mostly because it scares me, but also because it feels like cheating the drawing. "I'm terrible at explaining things so take with salt if you'd be so kind".

Now if you'll excuse me, and these fine ladies. We're off to see the artists corner. Good day sirs and ladies.

Panel 3 Twilight looks like it's supposed to be vaguely troll-facey. Not sure what's up with Fluttershy. She kinda looks like a muppet.

Somewhat valid art criticism aside, I'll take panel 1/6 Twilight out to a nice dinner any time.

level27smartass:
May I say that I have never been sexually harassed by Flutter Shy but in such case I would in fact welcome it open arms.

This.

Really if human fluttershy existed who wouldn't want to just give her a hug? d'aww....

jcb1337:
People still watch that show? More so over, girls actually watch that show? Everyone I knew who was or is a fan of MLP was a male between the ages of 16 and 33. But I can still see you what you did there.

Hey I am a girl and I like the show a lot! As far as harassment goes it is sadly a darker side to conventions. I had a friend that cosplayed Nico Robin and her boyfriend almost murdered a guy for trying to take pictures up her skirt. As far as geek cred goes, it doesn't matter if you are a boy or girl, when you go to a con it is because you want to be around people who like the same thing and possibly expand your circle of friends with a common interest...nothing wrong with that. Anyways, people should be kinder and less pervy at conventions. Remember: Friendship is Magic! :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here