Zero Punctuation: The Amazing Spider-Man

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Yahtzee should do Slender, its a free horror game for pc.

I know this won't happen, but I'd like to see Yahtzee's take on the new Kingdom Hearts game. He might hate to all hell, but it's not like there's much else that came out recently, and at least the gameplay in the newer Kingdom Hearts games has tended to be more fun and innovative.

Isn't it great where the videogame industry is now?
"We're doing a Spiderman tie-in game"
"Wow, I've got some great ideas"
"We don't want your ideas, just clone that Batman games all the kids seem to love"
*hangs head*

GonzoGamer:

Balkan:
Why awlays New Yourk ? Why there is no spider-man in LA for example ? Arent there enough skyscrapers ?
Probably Prototype 1 is the better spider-man game than spider man .

Except Prototype was actually a Hulk game.

Actually I think Prototype was the test-tube baby of Hulk and Venom.

Balkan:
Why awlays New Yourk ? Why there is no spider-man in LA for example ? Arent there enough skyscrapers ?

Because for the most part Spiderman the comic is set in New York. I agree there could be a bit more variety considering his occasional World Tour jaunts.

I've been waiting for a review of this for a while since it looks interesting. I think I'll still get it. It's a shame the web-slinging doesn't require the precise timing, I really enjoyed that part. Still, it's free roam and the swinging looks cool so I'd like to get it.

I found this to be one of the funniest vids of yours in a fair while :D

CronoT:

Caffeine_Bombed:

CronoT:
Since the beginning of video games, expecting a movie tie-in game to suck is like expecting the sun to rise. It just happens, and there's very little we can do to stop it from happening.

There are some exceptions. I really enjoyed Constantine on the Xbox. And the incredibly violent Wolverine Oranges tie-in!

Both of those were comic books long before they were movies. They had a very large and deep canon to draw from. They didn't have to rely on the movie for the story or for the hyped up publicity.

GoldeneEye007 is usually trotted out as the exception to the rule, but most people either forget or conveniently omit that the movie came out about 3-4 years before the game.

Uhh yeah but so does Spider-Man and a lot of movie tie-ins. And the two examples I gave were both made to tie-in with the movie releases, both sharing the same main plot and character likeness. I'm just saying there are several exceptions where the developers could give a shit.
As for Goldeneye, granted it was released 2 years after the movie, but that was because the developers decided to make it for the in-development 64 console rather than the SNES.
The thing with Goldeneye is it was a big step for first-person shooters in general and I think most of it's praise comes from that rather than "this is a great movie tie-in."

It's all fairly pointless anyway as I'm sure most of us will agree that movie adaptations are far more horrendous than some game adaptations... _

Uhg...its time just make a game that's either hard or plays itself, if it plays itself you will sell more of them desu...

Balkan:

Wolf Hagen:
Seemes Defenatly like a QTE Fest. <.<

Why do they keep doing that? In case we mess up the artists Stile?

Bad developers! Bad! ;P

Seriously ? You are telling me that just because he was never in any other city , that means that he cant be ? Its a fictional character , a they can just write it on paper and bam , he is there .
There isnt anything sacred about this paper-thin character .

It's more about the Artists Stile on the Game Developers side.
You know. Patienly watching their Pre rendered actions to the QTEs instead of mashing the mooks into the scenery.

Thats kinda bad.

I honestly don't care about costume changes and such. But hey you know, It's a game. Games have controllers for that. :D

I really hate when games automate actions that I want to be doing. It's the same issue that I have with cutscenes in many games. I want to DO the cool things, not watch them. It's that simple.

Jman1236:
Free advice yahtzee, never provoke the wrath of moviebob. Also when are you going to do a ps vita review, both Metal Gear collection and Gravity Daze are out so you something to review.

What's MovieBob gonna do? Whine and complain that Yahtzee is the worst thing to happen to gaming since the "entitled" fans of Mass Effect 3 "demanded" a better ending for the overpriced and falsely-advertised turd they paid for?

MovieBob's opinion goes roughly as far as I can throw him.

Lordofthesuplex:
Wait did Yahtzee just complain about the game having a "location warp" system in the game? Great now you've given a reason to say you're inept at this job for reasons that aren't Nintendo related, Croshaw. Namely the fact that you're just looking too desperately for things to complain about even if its stupid.

There's a term for that showing up in game reviewers' videos: "Irate Gamer" syndrome.

Well considering that it's Spider-Man (who lacks warp capability last time I checked), it does kind of make more sense for that to NOT be there. If you're playing a Spider-Man game and don't actually want to, ya know, be Spider-Man (web-swing from location to location) then you're doing it wrong. It's sort of like buying a FPS and then being disappointed that you can't run up to your enemies and take them down with your awesome kung fu skills. You're missing the point of the character. Spider-Man web-swings from place to place, and you're going to get more immersed in a game that lets you embrace the character than a game that lets you skip out on it.

I know that such functionality typically exists for convenience, but there are situations where "convenient" gameplay added to the wrong sort of game has a negative effect on how well it fits the setting. For example, regenerating health in a FPS where you are not a super-soldier with self-repairing nano-robots in your bloodstream, but rather are just an ordinary human, sort of detracts significantly from my belief that I'm just an ordinary soldier on the frontlines of a battle when I can just suck my thumb behind cover to fix the gaping bullet wounds in my legs and chest. Now there are folks who will defend to the death that regenerating HP is better than a health bar and health packs (rather than just being two different ways to approach the problem), or that it's more realistic (it's really not), but it's hard to argue that it doesn't significantly remove logic from the equation when an ordinary soldier with no special features can take 50 rounds to the chest provided they hide behind a wall for several seconds every 5 hits or so. You could argue it's more convenient than finding health packs scattered around a field, or locating a medic in your troop to help you, fair enough, but I'd still point out that such things remove you from the character.

Yahtzee referenced Bob Chipman. My life is complete.

Oh god, how I would love it if he finally did Metro 2033 in this dry spell. I want him to destroy my favorite game of all time...

Is it weird or sad that I totally forgot what alt+tab does?

So a fast travel system in a Spider-Man game is bad, but not having a fast travel system in (I think it was) No More Heroes, is just as bad?

Funnily enough, Spiderman 2 was the only Spiderman game I've ever played.
Having seen what has come after that, I never want to play another one either.

If they kind-of fused Prototype 2 with Spiderman 2 you'd have a great game.
Good mechanics (Spiderman 2)
Good monsters (Prototype 2 & Spiderman)
Good graphics (Prototype 2)
And then all you'd need is a decent story... Ehhh.

canadamus_prime:
Wow, it seems some developers have really forgotten how to make video games.

Why ? Because Yahtzee didnt like the game ?
You should thank his for thinking instead of you .

Balkan:

canadamus_prime:
Wow, it seems some developers have really forgotten how to make video games.

Why ? Because Yahtzee didnt like the game ?
You should thank his for thinking instead of you .

No *insult removed*, I'm perfectly capable of thinking for myself. My observation was based on what Yahtzee said about the video game, specifically the part about pressing the button to make Spider-man go where you want him to go and the bit about being a gnome riding on Spider-man's shoulder, not because he didn't like it. I don't really care about what games Yahtzee likes and doesn't like, after all he's disliked a few games that I did like so there ya go.

MegaManOfNumbers:

Lordofthesuplex:
Wait did Yahtzee just complain about the game having a "location warp" system in the game? Great now you've given a reason to say you're inept at this job for reasons that aren't Nintendo related, Croshaw. Namely the fact that you're just looking too desperately for things to complain about even if its stupid.

There's a term for that showing up in game reviewers' videos: "Irate Gamer" syndrome.

Woah, settle down.

He's complaining that there is a system in the game that turns the obviously "interactive experience" into an "uninteractive one". (Yes I know uninteractive isn't a word)

Also:

Skyrim has a location warp system.
ASM has a "I'm-too-lazy-to-play-the-game" button.

You sure? Because the way he described it reminded me more of the typical warp system implemented in games.

Yahtzee you have GOT to play Slander it's a free download game but fuck it it's scary as shit
it's just what you wanted a truly TRULY scary game

Lordofthesuplex:

MegaManOfNumbers:

Lordofthesuplex:

Woah, settle down.

He's complaining that there is a system in the game that turns the obviously "interactive experience" into an "uninteractive one". (Yes I know uninteractive isn't a word)

Also:

Skyrim has a location warp system.
ASM has a "I'm-too-lazy-to-play-the-game" button.

You sure? Because the way he described it reminded me more of the typical warp system implemented in games.

Have you even seen the game?

The web rush mechanic is only slightly similar to the traditional warp system.

And by "slightly" I mean almost completely NOTHING alike.

drewboyo:
Yahtzee you have GOT to play Slander it's a free download game but fuck it it's scary as shit
it's just what you wanted a truly TRULY scary game

Its stops being scary by the second run through the game and even then its a very, very, very short game that can be completed within about 6 minutes if you know what you're doing. While I understand the game has gained quite a cult following, We shouldn't be telling Yahtzee to play a 6 minute long game and then try to make jokes on the few gameplay elements it brings to the table.

In short, Yahtzee doesn't take requests, if he did, he would have already reviewed the crap joke games like QWOP or Happy Wheels.

Balkan:
If you are a boring mother fucker who uses only one power , then sure , it will be repetitive .

Mmmm...Strawman.

The real limits in the game are the limits of one`s imagination.

But that's the same for ANY game, including any Spider-Man title, so that's kinda meaningless.

What you're really saying is "I chose to take a bland grindy game like Prototype and make it good, but I lack the imagination to make another game good."

MegaManOfNumbers:

Yes, but it's in first person, so it's immediately IMMERSIVE. Therefore, win.

Zachary Amaranth:

MegaManOfNumbers:

Yes, but it's in first person, so it's immediately IMMERSIVE. Therefore, win.

Ah. Wha. Huh. WAT.

Let me describe my feelings towards this comment in one picture:

MegaManOfNumbers:

Let me describe my feelings towards this comment in one picture:

Sorry, yeah, I wasn't being serious. It can be hard to tell with text only, but I was making a joke out of the constant misuse of the word "immersion."

Darth_Payn:

Overseer76:
I can't tell you how many games I've had to taken returns on from parents because it was "too hard". Activision must be striving to produce the ultimate "can't-fail movie-tie-in cash-grab screw-the-quality" game ever.

And that costume is seriously horrendous. It's far too busy and I have a hard time believing that Peter would design such an overblown, over-tweaked monstrosity on his first try. Daredevil had better fashion sense even in his first costume (the brown and yellow one) -- and he's blind!

Hah! Good ones, about Activision and costumes. Now I'm wondering if a Daredevil game can be good. He can't play THAT different from either Spider-Man or Batman, can he? He sounds like a balance between the two.

Heh. The Daredevil game would be first-person (of course), with a blank screen (except for the HUD, cause ya gotta know how many punches you have left in you), and occasionally the "sonar pulse" from the movie would emanate from your character as you navigate the rooftops of Hell's Kitchen. Take that as a parody if you will, but I'd play that game. As long as Rocksteady doesn't mind us ripping off of Arkham City in the process...

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here