GinxTV: The Last Of Us Preview

The Last Of Us Preview

The Last Of Us promises a different take on the post-apocalypse.

Watch Video

I think the important thing to remember here, the thing that sets The Last of Us apart from the slew of other zombie games, is that it's core themes revolve around the characters' need to survive and not the visceral joy of slaughtering hoards of undead.

It sounds fantastic. If the character interactions are anything like those of Uncharted fame then I'll be one happy customer. I trust Naughty Dog implicitly on this one.

This is probably going to be the title that gets my to finnaly get my PS3 fixed.
super stokked

if this is an improvement of what uncharted was this can only be good

The Last of Us: the game we thought Dead Island was going to be.

I didn't see a single new/innovative thing in the preview. Not one :(

5liver. I'm not going to list them, but there were quite a few.

Anyone else really hope that this game delivers on it's potential?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is one of the few games which I plan to pick up at launch day. I fell in love with this game as soon as I saw the gameplay trailer. Apocalyptic world, interesting protagonst-duo and grey morals? Sign me up, please.

Also, voice acting is spot on in this game.

This looks like a beautiful game (nature reclamation is so rarely depicted in zombie apocalypse games) and the main characters sound well written. I'm hoping for good things from The Last of Us.

This game looks awesome. Bummed it's a PS3 exclusive - I may just finally have to buy one.

This game is relevant to my interests. I totally trust Naughty Dog on any sort of creative endeavor they wish to make.

ThaBenMan:
This game looks awesome. Bummed it's a PS3 exclusive - I may just finally have to buy one.

It would be nice if Microsoft and Sony could come together. They would be able to make a great console and Network. No more exclusives! I have a PS3 but there are a few XBOX games I want to play such as, Metro 2033 and Halo.

I was a little "hmph" about the main character being a Black Market trader but... if you need a believable guy who can brawl and protect an elderly girl in a Post-Dead, he's quite a good candidate.

You mentioned Boston in the review, but clearly all the footage and images so far are of Pittsburgh PA. Will they both be playable locations?

A shiny quarter says Joel ends up doing a mandatory storyline sacrifice to save Ellie...

So the game is about a fungi apocalypse? Well I can say that is somewhat original. The game looks good overall but the girl reminds alot of Ellen Page in Juno. I might get it but I'm not entirely sure.

Wait, this is a zombie game? Last I ckecked, zombies didn't use guns.

Daaaah Whoosh:
Wait, this is a zombie game? Last I ckecked, zombies didn't use guns.

The zombies in this game are the... ah, 'mushroom men' as I've heard them called. You know, the ones with the huge fungal growths all over their faces?

5ilver:
I didn't see a single new/innovative thing in the preview. Not one :(

I was impressed they shot only 5 rounds while testing, more emotional development, looks to be even better graphics than uncharted and the kid adds to the mix better than your partner in, say, Resident Evil 5

I trust Naughty Dog with this and i`m glad they moved on to something else. Uncharted3 was great but somehow it didn`t grab me like the previous two games. Without the little extra content like unlockable player models and cheats it felt rushed and after finishing it i didn`t felt the need to buy it and still haven`t.

This game just sounds and looks awesome and i`m sure it will be another good reason to have a PS3.

OldDirtyCrusty:
I trust Naughty Dog with this and i`m glad they moved on to something else. Uncharted3 was great but somehow it didn`t grab me like the previous two games. Without the little extra content like unlockable player models and cheats it felt rushed and after finishing it i didn`t felt the need to buy it and still haven`t.

This game just sounds and looks awesome and i`m sure it will be another good reason to have a PS3.

I agree 100% I have my plats in the previous two because I loved them very much. After playing around on Uncharted 3 at my local Game Stop I decided two was enough for me. It did feel rushed.

This game however seems very exciting and I'm sure their work on it is probably why Uncharted suffered "a little" loss of attention.

Proverbial Jon:
I think the important thing to remember here, the thing that sets The Last of Us apart from the slew of other zombie games, is that it's core themes revolve around the characters' need to survive and not the visceral joy of slaughtering hoards of undead.

I don't intend to sound rude at all, but how is this different from Left 4 Dead 1&2?

I played a couple hundred hours of each L4D game and what you said is precisely how I would describe them.

Can you help me understand what sets them apart?

Kunzer:

Proverbial Jon:

I don't intend to sound rude at all, but how is this different from Left 4 Dead 1&2?

I played a couple hundred hours of each L4D game and what you said is precisely how I would describe them.

The Last of Us is about the main characters' need to survive.
Left 4 Dead is about the visceral joy of slaughtering hoards of undead.

Why do I separate these games so? Can both statements not apply to both games? I believe not.

L4D is a co-op game with minimal narrative elements and an emphasis on armed combat. In L4D you don't "survive" you just kill loads of zombies and hope to be alive at the end of it. That is not the same as survival. The game wants to you have fun by mowing down a pack of undead. It provides you with plenty of weapons, chances to restock ammo to full capacity, in other words the game gives you the best possible chance to survive in any given environment.

TLoU is a narrative driven game with an emphasis on survival. You appear to have a limited amount of ammo/weapons and have to think carefully about how you use them. You're a team of two, one arguably weaker and more vulnerable than the other. Avoiding encounters seems preferable to tackling problems head on. The game appears to give you the absolute worst possible chances of survival at all times.

L4D as a franchise appeals because it gives players a chance to fight many opponents at a time, selling the joy of combat. TLoU thinks differently, it's trying to convince you that combat is very much a bad thing and should be avoided if you wish to succeed.

I could argue semantics all day long in trying to convey my point but I think the major differences are really all down to the games' thematics, dependant on whether your a story driven kinda player or one who values the gameplay more highly.

Meh, it's still zombies; just fungus zombies as opposed to chemical, viral or voodoo zombies.

Proverbial Jon:

Kunzer:

Proverbial Jon:

The Last of Us is about the main characters' need to survive.
Left 4 Dead is about the visceral joy of slaughtering hoards of undead.

Why do I separate these games so? Can both statements not apply to both games? I believe not.

L4D is a co-op game with minimal narrative elements and an emphasis on armed combat. In L4D you don't "survive" you just kill loads of zombies and hope to be alive at the end of it. That is not the same as survival. The game wants to you have fun by mowing down a pack of undead. It provides you with plenty of weapons, chances to restock ammo to full capacity, in other words the game gives you the best possible chance to survive in any given environment.

TLoU is a narrative driven game with an emphasis on survival. You appear to have a limited amount of ammo/weapons and have to think carefully about how you use them. You're a team of two, one arguably weaker and more vulnerable than the other. Avoiding encounters seems preferable to tackling problems head on. The game appears to give you the absolute worst possible chances of survival at all times.

L4D as a franchise appeals because it gives players a chance to fight many opponents at a time, selling the joy of combat. TLoU thinks differently, it's trying to convince you that combat is very much a bad thing and should be avoided if you wish to succeed.

I could argue semantics all day long in trying to convey my point but I think the major differences are really all down to the games' thematics, dependant on whether your a story driven kinda player or one who values the gameplay more highly.

Okay. This paints a much clearer picture for me, thank you.

I would point out that the way in which you use the word "survive" is the manner in which I use the term "Scrounge".

A video game that forces me to scrounge for supplies & ammunition is pretty much the last form of challenge in video games for me. (I enjoy this challenge very much)

When balanced with great care, surviving in a world where you must scrounge up just enough to eke by is a very enjoyable game experience.

Also, I definitely prefer a game with rich storytelling. I'll definitely be looking into TLoU.

Thanks, again.

A game with emotion without Photorealism oh for the love of god, the world must be ending.

On topic though, this looks awesome... I'm just sad I might actually have to buy a PS3 seeing this... but I'll hold off to the very last minute to what some of the reviews that come out after release before deciding that (might even try it at a mate's place before risking it)

Al.

Anyone else having a ton of flashbacks to Dead Island trailers? Perhaps the lesson there should be remembered--until you play it, take the trailer for a grain of salt. I think some people could end up very disappointed again.

Naughty Dog are not pioneers in storytelling they just aren't. I don't always watch Ginx unless its something I'm interested in but do they always kiss arse? I see every preview for every game kiss arse nowadays.

Pessimism aside this does look very good, wait there's zombies now? Whatever I don't get sick of a trope I get sick when people misuse it. This looks very good, and that fungal idea is very interesting.

I believe Jim will be looking into this game... The Walking Dead speaks for my opinion and his, I think?

Draxz:
I believe Jim will be looking into this game... The Walking Dead speaks for my opinion and his, I think?

Ohhey, I forgot what my icon was, aha!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here