Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Total Recall

A few good ideas, but not as good as the original.

Watch Video

That's a tad sad, because I was really hoping to at least have a better movie than the original.

What a shame, I was really looking forward to seeing this.

I guess the schwartz really wasn't with them. All I can say about this film is: Thanks for the mammaries.

And your accent was coming through wicked thick in this review Bob.

bout what expected: not too original with very little surprise the usual modern movie formula

Dat accent kicking in there a bit, ey?

MovieBob's Boston accent started to come out a bit when he said Arnold Schwarzenegger. Incidentally, I never saw Total Recall, but I DO remember it had a girl with 3 boobs in it. I think...

:-(
That's too bad. Was hoping to go to the movies this weekend.

Yeah - pretty much what I expected from having seen the trailers.

I was and still might watch this movie. There's nothing better on, and no, I'm not into that new Batman movie.

i kinda figured it was gonna be 'not good'

Before watching the review: The first one was good? I mean, it's not bad for sure. But to call it good ...

After: I can kinda see your point. It plays itself too much like a serious movie in your eyes, wasting a lot of what made the original movie so much fun to watch. But, to be honest, that's my complaint about the original movie. That it doesn't take itself serious enough and has to resort to typical 80's and 90's futuristic and sci-fi sillyness.

typical. Also, I realized that last year we got a crappy remake of an Arnold movie (Conan) and we got a crappy remake of one THIS year. And let's not forget we're also getting remakes of other Verhoeven flicks like Robocop and Starship Troopers (the latter of which is being played straight for some baffling reason)

I can't believe they spent $200 million on this; that's money they won't be getting back

Bobs accent peaking out through out the review made it all the funnier to listen too. Really, who DIDN'T know this was going to be shit? I mean really, how can you remake an old movie like this and have it stand up anywhere near the original.

Oh man I competely forgot that this film come out that soon already? Well from the sound of the review it look like it was the best that I forget about it anyway despite they kept that "character" in the remake judging from the scenes you used.

C'mon Bob, we all know Spiderman was fantastic.

Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.

Aiddon:
typical. Also, I realized that last year we got a crappy remake of an Arnold movie (Conan) and we got a crappy remake of one THIS year. And let's not forget we're also getting remakes of other Verhoeven flicks like Robocop and Starship Troopers (the latter of which is being played straight for some baffling reason)

When remaking a Verhoeven flick, whoever's directing it will have to come at it from a drastically different angle. Simply retelling the story (as this new remake seems to be doing) just can't compete Verhoeven's batshit-campy sensibility. Not counting Hollow Man, that movie sucked.

I had a feeling that it wouldn't be so good. It's too bad the original film's effects are so dated but it is a great telling of that story all the same.

MB202:
MovieBob's Boston accent started to come out a bit when he said Arnold Schwarzenegger. Incidentally, I never saw Total Recall, but I DO remember it had a girl with 3 boobs in it. I think...

That's why the first movie is one of those films that will always stand out. The 80's used boobs to sell movies but Total Recall was the only one to say I'll see your two boobs and raise you a boob.

SirPlindington:
Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.

I believe he did a while ago.

wait...so Bob has a Boston Accent?

At first I thought he was trying on a weird Australian accent since it kicked in just as he mentioned Australia. But then it kept happening, so I was a little confused as to what was happening.

Shame about the film. I was hoping that they were attempting to make it really different from the Arnie film by removing Mars in an attempt to make it fairly original. Stupid me for thinking that Hollywood could do something original.

Holy boston accent on a stick! Anyway i recorded total recall a couple weeks ago so now i guess i should go around to watching it....

Hmm.. despite the fairly negative review, I didn't really hear anything that turned me off of being really excited to see this movie. as has been said before, I think one of the weaker aspects of the original movie was that it didn't often take itself seriously enough (and Arnold wasn't really believable as your average ordinary guy, partly due to his larger than life career to that point in time). Great to hear that Beckinsale is one of the best parts of the movie though. I really could, and probably would, watch her in anything.

I wanted to see this despite whether or not it sucked. But since it truly is just a wannabe of The Original Movie I'll have to pass. Especially since my Ouya pledge is taking up a large amount of money & next month I'm buying TTT2 & maybe Windows 7 Ultimate. (Because I prefer the startup menu over Windows 8 Start Screen.)

Can anyone really take this review seriously? (I mean, even on a Bob level of any seriousness). He admits that he's a massive fan of the original, so there's no way that he would ever give it an objective analysis of what works and what doesn't. Obviously Len Wiseman is no Verhoeven, but lashing out at Farrell for being used as a straight man and simultaneously loving the Arnold flick (Arnold never was much of an actor) is hilarious.

That's so disappointing. I was hoping to see it today. :(

I was actually really hoping about this one. The ideas are solid enough it could have worked.

Too bad it didn't. Ah, well, I'll probably still see it when it comes to DVD just to see.

BTW, this review was like taking a trip to Bahston.

The Gentleman:
That's a tad sad, because I was really hoping to at least have a better movie than the original.

Im not surprised, as cheesy as the first one was, this remake would never have worked.

Li Mu:
wait...so Bob has a Boston Accent?

I think he first used it in one of his Big Picture videos while back...

Also, Bob, we know you love Mario, and you were super excited when they revealed the Toonoki suit. Now Luigi has his leaf powerup turn him into a fox. But very few people are going to care outside of Mario discussions.

Bob's accent was coming through a bit in this one, especially when he said Schwarzenegger.

One thing I've noticed about this movie from the trailers and stuff is that it seems to think that in the future 90% of the human race is 25 years old. That really puts me off for some reason.

I would pay good money to hear Bob say "Schwarzenegger" in varying levels of Bostonian...

Oh...I thought this was gonna be a retro review or something. But it's a remake. Oh, Hollywood...still running out of ideas, I see.

scott91575:

SirPlindington:

I believe he did a while ago.

Really? Where?! I must see it!

Too bad Total Recall wasn't that good. At least it wasn't like the LAST remake of an Ahnold flick (2011 Conan, for those fortunate enough to have forgotten).

Also, Luigi is a fox? I'm calling Game of the Year now.

bob is biased, and from Bohston got it.

Ok I can tell Luigi is a fox. what did people think he was? did they think he skinned Tails, and only kept one?

EDIT: after reading this weeks intermission I would like to clarify the first 3 words of the post. I can Bob biased based on him spending the first quarter of the review talking about how the original version of the movie was "the shit", and then spending the rest of the review saying that this remake is "shit". this shows a direct disdain for the remake before he even started talking about the movie that he was going to.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here