Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

synobal:
What happened your voice or accent for this video? You had this I dunno lisp or something going on, made me think of Barry Kripkie from Big Bang theory.

It might be that Bob's watched Yahtzee's latest video, saw it as throwing down the gauntlet, and accepted the challenge by letting his native Boston accent off the chain. Last time I remember him doing that was his Big Picture episode, "Continanity Rebooted".

Okay I know we shouldn't love Bob for a gimmick which actually isn't a gimmick but ACCENT YAY YAYAY

On the topic of Colin Farrell in serious/sad roles, has anyone seen "In Bruges"?

SirPlindington:

FelixG:

SirPlindington:
Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.

I wouldn't, his accent is annoying as hell

I suppose it can it get kind of grating, but I meant more for the novelty of it. To each their own, though.

Now that I think and listen to it a bit more again, I think it was the fact that it was bouncing back and forth that was most annoying, half a sentence in one accent and the second half in another can be like nails on a chalkboard xD

SirPlindington:

scott91575:

SirPlindington:
Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.

I believe he did a while ago.

Really? Where?! I must see it!

The Shutter Island review for one, since that was set in Boston, or directed by a Bostonian, or something. It was definitely related to Boston somehow.

Somebody actually uses the highly plausable model of Australia surviving a major disaster intact due to the relative isolation? YAY! The same person uses some twisted form of logic to say that Great Britain also somehow survived? BOO! A giant elevator between the two? AWESOME! Having the low class people in Australia? What the hey; it's how we started anyway!

Sorry bob but I just might check this one out.

I just saw it, and it was pretty meh. The action scenes were as generic as you can get them, and nothing really "popped" I liked a few shoutouts to the original flick, but really, the original's better, but lacks the eye candy of whoever played the 3 bobbed whore (seriously, she was hot), Kate Beckingsale and Jessica Biel, who REALLY needs more work. Still, if you've nothing better to do, find it at the discount theater like I did. I wound up yawning and forcing myself awake through some of those action scenes, though.

One day someone will make a movie when Australia TAKES OVER THE WORLD. They shall have kangaroo chariots and ze American shall do their bidding! >:)

Or even better - New Zealand, cheaper to make movies there and nobody hates NZ.

Aiddon:
typical. Also, I realized that last year we got a crappy remake of an Arnold movie (Conan) and we got a crappy remake of one THIS year. And let's not forget we're also getting remakes of other Verhoeven flicks like Robocop and Starship Troopers (the latter of which is being played straight for some baffling reason)

I can't believe they spent $200 million on this; that's money they won't be getting back

Starship Troopers is one that actually should be remade but with a greater adherence to the book. At the very least, it will make for a more interesting movie.

Futuristic Australia? In the midst of civil war?! Sorry Bob, undomesticated equines could not stop me from watching this movie.

Sorry, but if there's no Mars, then there's no point.

Why?

Because then there's no "GET YOUR ASS TO MARS!!!"

The only thing this remake did was it made me watch the original two more times and read the original once again, thanks for that.

I like Bryan Cranston, but like Michael C. Hall in Gamer, it's casting pearls before... mainstream PG-13 folks.

I think it's a shame we cast the fog of stupidity over Total Recall, The Thing, Predator and pretty much any random movie these days.

I actually do want to credit this movie with one achievement.

It made me go back and watch the old movie again. It suddenly made me appreciate just how fun, crazy and actually kind of smart it was after watching how it could go horribly horribly wrong with a really bad sci-fi action slock like this remake.

I won't call it anything else cause it is just a remake. It has a few new ideas but about 60% of it comes from the previous movie and the rest of the movie lays on the super action hero stuff to thick for it to remain questionable reality or realistic dream.

Sad to see Hollywood so bankrupt it's starting to cannibalize it's own 90's catalogue. There is no reason to watch this now. Should just netflix it in a few months when it gets cheaper.

AxelxGabriel:

Why?

So true, the concept of a secret agent on mars with the mind fuck that all of it might not be real was what made the movie good. By taking away the space aspect and taking its self too seriously makes for a boring movie that you dont even question if this is all in his head.

Sad that it turned out as generic as it looked.

SirCannonFodder:

SirPlindington:

scott91575:

I believe he did a while ago.

Really? Where?! I must see it!

The Shutter Island review for one, since that was set in Boston, or directed by a Bostonian, or something. It was definitely related to Boston somehow.

I've just watched it, and as far as I can see, there wasn't any context for it. His accent just surfaced a lot. It was still fantastic having most of the review in that voice, though. Added a lot, I think.

Movie bob vs Boston Bob.

Whoever wins, ...reviews movies and pop culture?

So Pat Tatopoulos falls on his face AGAIN!

And I can't be more glad!

So the movie turned out EXACTLY as it looked in all the previews? Noted, and I can't fathom why anyone is surprised. It was pretty obvious how things were going to play out, especially if you are familiar with how good the first movie is. There is simply no way to translate that into the travesty of modern day cinema.

I just got back from seeing the movie, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes, the continuous homages to the original film were fast and occasionally furious, but they didn't do much to detract from the movie, except maybe the three-titted hooker. Still, it was a funny gag.

I would say this film was like a visual metaphor of a roller coaster. The tension and pacing builds as you reach the crest, with a decently paced action scene in the place of the downhill plunge.

Also, while the setting was difference, the consequences for failure were the same as the original. To quote Carlos Mencia, if Quaid fails, "Everybody dies!" Also, while some people might try to read into the class disparity of the setting as yet another "We are the 99%!" commentary, the class disparity angle has been used in the distopian apocalypse scenario so many times, it's like reading it out of the instructions lego building set. It just IS. Deal with it.

All that being said; yes, what will be remembered most from this movie will be the bits taken from the first film, and the over-the-top action and chase scenes, which is about 90% of the film. But, really, when you've taken that trip across the country, the things you remember most are the bits that happened on the road and around it.

In conclusion...is it worth $10+ to go see this movie? Eh, probably not, unless you're a fan for some other reason. Is it worth seeing for $5-$7? Very much so.

AxelxGabriel:

Why?

Yeah, but they could have used "Get your ass to Oz(Aus)!"

MortisLegio:

To be fair if they're basing Starship Troopers off the book instead of the movie it should be pretty good. The movies were supposed to be a satirical take on the book so if they made one that was serious (with its powered armor, and nuclear bombs) then it should be interesting.

Unfortunately the book SUCKS; it's boring, depressing, and disgustingly jingoistic. Its themes have not aged well and its not one of Heinlein's best. Playing it straight would be bland at best or give unfortunate implications at worst.

Hi Bob, liked your review but the movie isnt as bad as you make it out to be - just as long as you dont go into it with any expectations. I agree though that it got a bit boring in spots but it had better pacing then most movies of this genre generally do. IMHO watch this at the cinema or not at all, I'm betting that it will lose alot of punch on the small screen when its comes to DVD.

I was hoping for more not surprised just wish they would have gone smart not action like it sounds they did. Will probably see it anyways out of curiosity to how it compares to the original although not necessarily in theaters.

Soooo... If I'm a godless heathen and have never seen the original, is the remake ok?

I might see this in about two weeks...

...two weeks...

...Two wEEks...

...Twwwwwooo Weeeeeeeeeeeks...

I'd rather watch an episode of Sea Quest while playing Splinter Cell...too much is not enough Ironside.

I'm going to hazard a guess that this particular episode was composited of an unusually large number of takes, and thus the varying levels of accent.

No problem with the content of the review itself, however- I'm hearing "boring" out of a lot of other critics' mouths as well, so I'd hardly leap to call it a case of bias.

Aw yeah. Boston Bob is back. I think you should contrive a reason to do a split personality character just to make use of that sexy accent and your broadcast voice.

Nice video but there's one thing I disagree with luigi isn't a fox he's a kitsune look it up and you understand.

I have to say, Bob's list of what summer movies were great, flawed, and terrible made me most skeptical towards the rest of the review.

I love the Boston accent slips. I really shouldn't but I do.

I went to see this yesterday, as usual completely disregarding Bob's assessment, and it's not a bad movie. However, nothing about it is good enough to justify it's existence. It doesn't do anything significant better enough than the 1990 version to make it worth watching. It's just more expensive, and not quite as fun. If this looks good to you, I highly recommend that you watch Arnold again instead.

Unnecessary remakes are becoming a depressing trend.

Strain42:

Aiddon:

Strain42:
I didn't see the most important of questions addressed in this movie.

Does the remake have the 3 boobed chick?

...Seriously, that's all I wanna know.

Yes, but you don't see full frontal with her. That's another stupid thing is that they made this a PG-13.

That made me happy...and then angry...and now just angry :P

I'm gonna go now. The internet is no place to be randomly angry over trivial matters.

Pallindromemordnillap:

Aiddon:

Strain42:
I didn't see the most important of questions addressed in this movie.

Does the remake have the 3 boobed chick?

...Seriously, that's all I wanna know.

Yes, but you don't see full frontal with her. That's another stupid thing is that they made this a PG-13.

Oh what? Bullshit! Thats the only thing anyone really remembers about the original. Why would you do a thing like that?

I don't know what movie Aiddon saw, but the 3-boobed chick is in there, and yes they give you a frontal shot.

I am not at all surprised.
No, I take that back. The fact that there is an elevator shaft straight through the planet surprises the hell out of me. I cannot Flat What hard enough.

Also, to be fair, the First Class sequel is, as far as I have heard, simply subtitled Days of Future Past. I'm cynical enough to assume the plot will be completely unrelated.

Also also:

DVS BSTrD:
I guess the schwartz really wasn't with them. All I can say about this film is: Thanks for the mammaries.

And your accent was coming through wicked thick in this review Bob.

Yeah, this is the most his Boston accent has ever come out in video...

Not nescessarily a bad thing btw...

Moviebob, please choose an accent and stick with it! Who do you think you are, Kevin Costner in "Prince of Thieves"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here