Escape to the Movies: Total Recall

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Wait its "Against the Rules" to compare a remake to the original?

Lies....and Bullshit...

If you go and remake a movie...and the old one had a good standard and was awesome...then damn straight you can...

The 'lens flare' thing made me laugh a lot harder than it had any right to.

AlwaysPractical:
On the topic of Colin Farrell in serious/sad roles, has anyone seen "In Bruges"?

Colin Farrell is really amazing in that one and I won't say a bad thing about his acting after watching it. Have to completely agree with Bob, he's just not being cast right.

Make up your mind Bob, do you have an accent or not.

I'd stick with not.

As i thought, generic sci fi movie. Although i am getting fed up with the over the top choreographed fight sequences in every movie. Its getting boring. Best fight in a movie was in Versus, just because the main character was using boxing. Boxing zombies. Heehee.

Is there some escapist insider joke I'm missing about the reviewer's accent..?

Bob I love your stuff but please minimize that accent for your videos.

gardian06:
bob is biased, and from Bohston got it.

Ok I can tell Luigi is a fox. what did people think he was? did they think he skinned Tails, and only kept one?

EDIT: after reading this weeks intermission I would like to clarify the first 3 words of the post. I can Bob biased based on him spending the first quarter of the review talking about how the original version of the movie was "the shit", and then spending the rest of the review saying that this remake is "shit". this shows a direct disdain for the remake before he even started talking about the movie that he was going to.

This is stupid. He is showing disdain for the remake because he watched it and didn't like it. But you are a scrub and a scrub likes to shout out "bias!" whenever someone disagrees with them.

Mygaffer:

gardian06:
bob is biased, and from Bohston got it.

Ok I can tell Luigi is a fox. what did people think he was? did they think he skinned Tails, and only kept one?

EDIT: after reading this weeks intermission I would like to clarify the first 3 words of the post. I can Bob biased based on him spending the first quarter of the review talking about how the original version of the movie was "the shit", and then spending the rest of the review saying that this remake is "shit". this shows a direct disdain for the remake before he even started talking about the movie that he was going to.

This is stupid. He is showing disdain for the remake because he watched it and didn't like it. But you are a scrub and a scrub likes to shout out "bias!" whenever someone disagrees with them.

I never said that I disagreed with Bob I said that he showed direct bias, and basically even stating it himself "...one of those things that my generation overstates the awesomeness of..." (4:56), and "...the last great action movie of the 80s, or the first great action movie of the 90s..." (4:58). I felt that this remake didn't fail as a remake which was the first jump that even bob made I felt it failed as an action movie. its cases like this that I would like to bring up Bob's own "Star Wars Episode 1: 13 years later" review where he talks about how nostalgia can cloud opinion, and then leads to undue disdain.

And jumping at me because I disagreed with bob, and state a reason for it that you go and call a "scrub" I can respond with similar, but I wont sink to that level I will just point you to Jim's video for this week

I thought it was good, not great. If I had to choose one to watch again, I'd pick this over the original. This one had a good cyberpunk/film-noir vibe, that repeatedly recalled Bladerunner and not in a bad way, and that alone made this movie immersive. Add to that decent action, serviceable acting, and hot female leads, and it is easily worth a watch if you are a science fiction fan.

My only wish is that they condensed the action more and filled it with more characterization and story, as with the sci-fi greats of yesteryear.

Also I'm not sure they got the physics of the "Fall" right. If it was in free fall to the center of the earth, with some mild added lift bringing it back up to the other side, there would be zero gravity for half the ride and weak gravity for most of the rest of it, which we didn't see.

SirPlindington:
Your accent came out really strong here. I wish you would do entire episode with your real voice. I think everyone else would agree.

I wouldn't for one. I can't stand the accent, no digs against him, but it just doesn't flow well. Made this review hard to sit through because of the constant shifts back and forth.

I'd rather there be no accent, but if you have this sort of back and forth thing going on... Just stick with one.

As for the movie, the original was pretty awesome. It didn't seem to be actively trying to be serious. This one? The trailers just reeked of "Look I'm Jason Bourne! I mean, LOOK I'm Jason Bourne... FROM THE FUTURE!"

Hey Bob, what's with the Southie twinge here and there? =P

DVS BSTrD:
I guess the schwartz really wasn't with them. All I can say about this film is: Thanks for the mammaries.

And your accent was coming through wicked thick in this review Bob.

I thought it was quite inconsistent, myself. Like he was trying to force it sometimes, and forgot others.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:
I guess the schwartz really wasn't with them. All I can say about this film is: Thanks for the mammaries.

I thought it was quite inconsistent, myself. Like he was trying to force it sometimes, and forgot others.

Well the genuine accent only really comes out on the ahhhs (Rs) unless they're at the beginning of the word. It was hilarious when I went to San Francisco and I told people I was from Massachusetts: Always asking me to say "Pahhhk the cahhh in the Hahhhvid yahhhd".

DVS BSTrD:

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

Well the genuine accent only really comes out on the ahhhs (Rs) unless they're at the beginning of the word. It was hilarious when I went to San Francisco and I told people I was from Massachusetts: Always asking me to say "Pahhhk the cahhh in the Hahhhvid yahhhd".

Trust me, I'm aware of the Boston accent. And the general Mass one. I was born in the state and spent a solid chunk of time in Boston and Cambridge because my Dad was obsessed with the Boston music scene. While my own accent is muddled by my Vermont upbringing and Maine ancestry, I do know my Boston talk. I still hear people say "pissa" in my nightmares. And the less said about "Retahhhhhhhhhhhded" the bettah. Err...BettER.

It still sounds inconsistent in this video, even knowing the rules as you have laid them out and having grown up with the accent.

Then again my girlfriend is from the South, and she only says "The YAY ter" 9 tmes out of ten....

Pahhk the cahh on Mahhz fuh sum cwohfee owh cleeeeems. Hahhvud yahhhd. Towdul Rekawll.
Fuck, I love your accent, Bob.

Bob's just dead wrong on this one, Total Recall was awesome. The dystopian future reminded me of Blade Runner, the sets and effects were beautiful, and the action was superb. Farrel was sympathetic, Jessica Biel was endearing, and Kate Beckinsale was bad-ass and smokin' hot in equally large measure.

I'm not suggesting this is high-brow cinema, but it is the most fun I'd had at the movies since The Avengers. I'll probably go see it again on the big screen, in fact.

The painfully bad fight scenes in The Dark Knight Rises really made the phenomenal action in TR stand out, for me.

Woah woah woah Bob, Ted an "awesome movie" and Batman "disappointing"???

Bob got all Bostonian on us again. :)

Wow, as someone who lives in Australia as soon as you said that the movie portrays the Australian region as being poor and the Britain one as being rich, I was like "Mother Fuckers"

You know, I liked it. It had all the over the top lens flares, cool costumes, and well designed worlds that I love in Sci-Fi.

Wow, glad to see other people noticing Bob's Bah-sten accent. I noticed that it wasn't constant, either. Does he normally try to tone it down, which is why it was a lot more obvious this time?

Way too fahgettable!

Didn't even know you had that accent back there. Seems the only people who aren't embarrassed by their accents in a professional setting are the British.

It's been stated ad nauseum, but Bob, your Bostonian is showing.

As for the actual review, I didn't really expect much from this movie, but it's good to know I haven't missed much by not rushing out and seeing it.

ace_of_something:
The 'lens flare' thing made me laugh a lot harder than it had any right to.

Seems like Bob's been munching off the Plinkett jokes.

Wow, never noticed Bob's accent before this review. It's kind of rough to listen to.

Magmarock:
Wow, as someone who lives in Australia as soon as you said that the movie portrays the Australian region as being poor and the Britain one as being rich, I was like "Mother Fuckers"

You gotta admit though, it's more clever than the more obvious choice of USA as the rich swanky superpower, and some country the U.S. is at war with being the poor worker's colony.

minuialear:

Magmarock:

You gotta admit though, it's more clever than the more obvious choice of USA as the rich swanky superpower, and some country the U.S. is at war with being the poor worker's colony.

No I don't think it's clever at all. I don't think anything about remaking a classic Schwarzenegger movie is clever at all. The idea that someone has made a story where Australia is poor and dirty and where the UK is reach and clean just shows that some American guy spent two minutes reading up on Australia history and thinks he's been clever about it. It's so god damn offensive that it isn't even funny.

Magmarock:

minuialear:

Magmarock:

No I don't think it's clever at all. I don't think anything about remaking a classic Schwarzenegger movie is clever at all. The idea that someone has made a story where Australia is poor and dirty and where the UK is reach and clean just shows that some American guy spent two minutes reading up on Australia history and thinks he's been clever about it. It's so god damn offensive that it isn't even funny.

I didn't say it was clever in general, nor did I say the idea of a remake in general is clever. Just that it's more clever than doing the typical "USA wins and is better than everyone else" cliche.

I'll also say I think you're completely over-reacting to the conceit by being "so god dam offen[ded]" by it, considering it's not like they spend the entire movie (or any part of the movie, for that matter) talking about how great UK/UK imperialism is. Did you get this worked up about District 11 in Hunger Games?

minuialear:

Magmarock:

minuialear:

I didn't say it was clever in general, nor did I say the idea of a remake in general is clever. Just that it's more clever than doing the typical "USA wins and is better than everyone else" cliche.

I'll also say I think you're completely over-reacting to the conceit by being "so god dam offen[ded]" by it, considering it's not like they spend the entire movie (or any part of the movie, for that matter) talking about how great UK/UK imperialism is. Did you get this worked up about District 11 in Hunger Games?

Yeah I probably am over reacting. I'm not angry at you at all, I just can't believe they remade this. I mean what's next Robo cop Conan (oh wait they did that) Hollywood is really pissing me off.

He's probably right about Total Recall, but every time Bob praises The Avengers, doubt creeps into my mind...

Bob (and everyone else who thinks that 1990s movie was the best) are you looking through nostalgia glasses again?
I personally liked this movie better than The Dark Knight Rises
(Total Recall is the only movie I paid to watch twice this year)
Really, 1990s movie was ok, but not great
[dodges]
I said not great, STOP THROWING ROCKS AT ME!
New movie is solid science fiction movie that MAKES SENSE (something that most science fiction movies often forget) and it is as interesting as 1990s version.
By my account this makes new version at least by one point better
(not to mention better melee scenes)

P.S. Anyone else thinks that Kate Beckinsale reminds Sandra Bullock in this movie.
P.P.S. What makes me scared is Robocop remake. While Total Recall was outdated movie, Robocop1 mostly is still up to date (thematically and even technologically). So I don't see the purpose of the remake. But to be honest, if new Robocop is as at least as good as new Total Recall, then I will check it.

Scrustle:
Bob's accent was coming through a bit in this one, especially when he said Schwarzenegger.

One thing I've noticed about this movie from the trailers and stuff is that it seems to think that in the future 90% of the human race is 25 years old. That really puts me off for some reason.

Heh, I dident notice until now. Youre right though. I guess that is why it reminded me so much of "in time".

frizzlebyte:
Wow, glad to see other people noticing Bob's Bah-sten accent. I noticed that it wasn't constant, either. Does he normally try to tone it down, which is why it was a lot more obvious this time?

He tried one without toning it down and every comment was about his accent, just like now. So he started to tone it down again, I guess the internet is not ready. BTW is it not called a dialect?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here