Neon Genesis Evangelion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Dafttechno:
Behold, a fanfic with an appreciative Shinji http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3371159/1/Chicks_Dig_Giant_Robots

'Behind the two girls, Shinji continued giggling like a ten year old girl. "Heh heh heh, boom, heh."'

I immediately thought of Beavis and Butthead. Oh, man, a crossover fic with that would be glorious. I can just imagine it.

xscoot:

Grey Carter:
Dear god, I never realized other NGE fans were so funny.

I agree, the fans are hilarious. You on the other hand...

Oh, I'm just kidding. You're vastly better than some of the other stuff Escapist has put out. I still remember Game Dogs. Ugh.

I am wounded.

Grey Carter:

I am wounded.

I'm sorry, you basically set yourself up for this:

http://imgur.com/sdf4z

Actually shinji did good not to hit any of that...

Someone once said some very wise words:

"never stick your dick in the crazy"

And all three of them where batshit crazy...

Bwaaahahahah!! So true! XD

Boudica:
How can you pass up the opportunity to woo a submissive cutie?

On an unrelated note, how comes someone put that hottie on a website called "fugly"? Insecure males much?

So....the entirety of Evangellion was really just a long, convoluted plan by Gendo to help Shinji get laid and be a mecha pilot?

Interesting.

Scrumpmonkey:
Its simple. Kill the Batman After watching numerous 'deep' Animes (Tenchi Muyo won't man up either) i have come to the conclusion that Japanese males in Anime just don't like women. Like at all. They also whine about it. ALL the time.

In the west we call this the "Shut up and fuck her in the ass" hypothesis.

Infernai:
So....the entirety of Evangellion was really just a long, convoluted plan by Gendo to help Shinji get laid and be a mecha pilot?

Interesting.

Scrumpmonkey:
Its simple. Kill the Batman After watching numerous 'deep' Animes (Tenchi Muyo won't man up either) i have come to the conclusion that Japanese males in Anime just don't like women. Like at all. They also whine about it. ALL the time.

Yeah but what happens afterwards.... *makes the cross sign*

Jeebus... and the manga isnt any better either...

darksakul:

Only thing Shinji Ikari needs is Noah Bright (from MS Gundam) to "Bright Bitch slap" the emo out of him. Alternatively Kamina from Gurren Lagann with his Motivational fist would work as well.

Well, I think Anno finally watched Gurren Lagann before making the second Rebuild movie:

OT: I loved pretty much all of NGE, but I still found this comic hilarious.

rhodo:
Bwaaahahahah!! So true! XD

Boudica:
How can you pass up the opportunity to woo a submissive cutie?

On an unrelated note, how comes someone put that hottie on a website called "fugly"? Insecure males much?

You think that grandpa muscle moose is attractive? To each their own I guess, but did you look at his lifeless, only thought in his head is, "did I remembers to wipe," face? Or were you distracted that the old-timey phone receiver stretching out of his smooth happy trail region? I guess I must be insecure because that's what a man should look like.

Infernai:

Interesting.

Scrumpmonkey:

It takes Guts YEARS before he can trust someone enough to engage in any kind of relationship, let alone a romantic one. Even now he still has trouble trusting people, and every now and then the demons resurface and he ends up harming those he cares for the most.

Okay, so this is funny, but.

"Hey son, I want you to risk your life to pilot this robot and fight Lovecraftion horrors. And I'm entrusting you to a super hot alcoholic chick, she's twice your age but probably has the hots for you anyway. There's also this redhead to treat you like shit, I hope you enjoy sadomasochism! Not uncomfortable yet? well I went ahead and cloned your dead mom, too! ;)"

And oh yeah! theresthisthingthatsgonnacausetheendoftheworld! Bye!

Now, I'm not the biggest Eva fan, and I agree that Shinji's a brat, but I do not envy his lot in life.

Shiro No Uma:

You think that grandpa muscle moose is attractive? To each their own I guess, but did you look at his lifeless, only thought in his head is, "did I remembers to wipe," face? Or were you distracted that the old-timey phone receiver stretching out of his smooth happy trail region? I guess I must be insecure because that's what a man should look like.

I'm sorry; I didn't notice any of that. I was too busy admiring those rippled muscles. :P

I WISH ugly men looked like that.

sumanoskae:

Okay, so this is funny, but.

"Hey son, I want you to risk your life to pilot this robot and fight Lovecraftion horrors. And I'm entrusting you to a super hot alcoholic chick, she's twice your age but probably has the hots for you anyway. There's also this redhead to treat you like shit, I hope you enjoy sadomasochism! Not uncomfortable yet? well I went ahead and cloned your dead mom, too! ;)"

And oh yeah! theresthisthingthatsgonnacausetheendoftheworld! Bye!

Now, I'm not the biggest Eva fan, and I agree that Shinji's a brat, but I do not envy his lot in life.

WOAH!! Evangelion's been out for how many years? And only now I discover that chick was actually the clone of Shinji's mum. Shocking!! o.O So why was she cloned?

I do love the series, but you kind of missed the part where:
'O, hey, and she's basically a clone of my mother' bit.

Shinji was inside in mom, more then once.
;3

Eric the Orange:
I like big red haired guy with no name. Ima call him fatty red head.

I call him Caineghis.

animehermit:

Infernai:

Interesting.

Scrumpmonkey:

It takes Guts YEARS before he can trust someone enough to engage in any kind of relationship, let alone a romantic one. Even now he still has trouble trusting people, and every now and then the demons resurface and he ends up harming those he cares for the most.

True, however Guts does have a VERY good reason why he takes a long time to trust others. But the fact remains that as opposed to say Tenchi, Guts actually does, at one point become romantically involved and ends up becoming sexually intimate with some one. I don't deny he still has problems, especially now given what's happened but, at one point, he was able to open up and allow himself to care for another person in a way Shinji and Tenchi havn't been able too.

hazabaza1:
I think that in the end, Gendo really ended up caring more about his daughter, Lizzie.

I want to punch you...

As if I didn't ALREADY have enough to read!

Are you going help me make time for this?! HUH!?

Infernai:
True, however Guts does have a VERY good reason why he takes a long time to trust others. But the fact remains that as opposed to say Tenchi, Guts actually does, at one point become romantically involved and ends up becoming sexually intimate with some one. I don't deny he still has problems, especially now given what's happened but, at one point, he was able to open up and allow himself to care for another person in a way Shinji and Tenchi havn't been able too.

Except Tenchi doesn't get intimate, because... I really don't know (well, I do). With Shinji I can understand it; he's fucked up. But why Tenchi refuses to answer the avances of the many female companions - which he obviously cares a great deal for, otherwise he wouldn't risk his life saving them all the time - is baffling. And he's clearly not asexual.

Ah, to be a good Eva fan you really have to be able to laugh at it a bit, the SYMBOLISM! fans are more than a little crazy.

I don't know what people go into it expecting, but apparently "Catcher in the Rye as a monster of the week show" is not it for most people.

I think most of the contention over the show comes from people trying to watch it without a good understanding of the history of the mecha genre and how Eva was attempting to be a deconstruction of the characters and plots that had come before. Though I suppose the show giving no hint of what's going to go down until episode 12 or so doesn't help...

For the life of me I was never able to piece together what the hell was supposed to be happening in the show...it was one of those animes that felt like it expected you to have read the manga.

Now I will admit that my complete disinterest probably had a lot to do with my utter disdain for all of the protagonists (save Misato...I got her...I would fucking drink too if I had to deal with all this bullshit) and I feel like the show cut-off midway through the storyline (didn't see any of the follow-up movies)

So maybe someone can help me out here. There was some sort of event called 'second impact' that is constantly referenced but no one explains (but somehow unleashed these 'Angels') Why is it the second impact? When was the first one?

Also to Eva pilots need to be insane, or is that for giggles?

Also, for the life of me I can't recall the 'fapping' scene or the...primordial ooze or something? The hell is that about (more interested in the latter)? Does Shinji really kill everyone...because I don't remember that. Anyone gotta link?

This has always been my theory on Evangelion:

If you needed therapy before watching the entire series, you won't by the end of it.

If you didn't need therapy before watching the entire series, you most certainly will by the end of it.

"The me that is the me that I see is different than the me that other people see me as being when I see myself as me therefore the only me that really matters is the me that I wish myself to be because I'm me and don't care about the other me's that other people see me as."

Yeah....FUCK the last episode. :P

Gah, I thought this was about 3.33 coming out :(

xD This made me laugh, although, I'll admit, I do love me some Eva.

Combine Rustler:
And I haven't even seen Yojimbo and Rashomon.

Rectify that, as soon as you're capable of. Your life is diminished by not having seen those.
As to the comic: Heh.

senordesol:
For the life of me I was never able to piece together what the hell was supposed to be happening in the show...it was one of those animes that felt like it expected you to have read the manga.

Now I will admit that my complete disinterest probably had a lot to do with my utter disdain for all of the protagonists (save Misato...I got her...I would fucking drink too if I had to deal with all this bullshit) and I feel like the show cut-off midway through the storyline (didn't see any of the follow-up movies)

So maybe someone can help me out here. There was some sort of event called 'second impact' that is constantly referenced but no one explains (but somehow unleashed these 'Angels') Why is it the second impact? When was the first one?

Also, for the life of me I can't recall the 'fapping' scene or the...primordial ooze or something? The hell is that about (more interested in the latter)? Does Shinji really kill everyone...because I don't remember that. Anyone gotta link?

The scenes in question are from 'End of Evangelion', the movie which serves as a 'new ending' to the series in place of the one from the show.

Also, 'second impact' was the catastrophe which nearly eradicated humanity. The reason they are fighting the angels is to prevent 'third impact', which will finish the job. Thats the basic gist of it. As for 'first impact', at one point I think it was what killed the dinosaurs, but apparently that was retconned, so... yeah.

Pandora92:

I'll just leave this here.

(Not that I mean anything by it, but I always think of this image whenever someone makes the usual complaints about Eva.)

Amen.

Sushewakka:

Combine Rustler:
And I haven't even seen Yojimbo and Rashomon.

Rectify that, as soon as you're capable of. Your life is diminished by not having seen those.
As to the comic: Heh.

Is it really now? A devout christian might argue that my life is diminished by not having read the most important deeds and teachings of Jesus Christ, and my literature teacher is on the same opinion about not having read Crime and Punishment. A philosophy major would probably say the same about Nietsche's writings. And yet I got a gut feeling that this doesn't make one fucking ounce of difference with regards to how "good" or "meaningful" my life is.

... the fuck did I just say all that for? Must be the late night crazies...

K84:
-stuff-

Back in the day (I mean way back), pre-teen girls would get married off to old men and for them to have kids shortly after marriage. This was a common and accepted practice.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, or any act at all. You likely only feel that it's wrong because that's part of your societal mores.

SmarterThanYou:

senordesol:

The scenes in question are from 'End of Evangelion', the movie which serves as a 'new ending' to the series in place of the one from the show.

Also, 'second impact' was the catastrophe which nearly eradicated humanity. The reason they are fighting the angels is to prevent 'third impact', which will finish the job. Thats the basic gist of it. As for 'first impact', at one point I think it was what killed the dinosaurs, but apparently that was retconned, so... yeah.

Hmm... okay...

Do they ever explain what this 'catastrophe' was? Was it an asteroid? Because everything seems more or less back to normal in the show...aside from the angels running around and retractable cities.

Now it's been years since I've seen it, but I also seem to remember some sort of...something (I think it was a dead angel) nailed to a cross that Shinji's dad seemed to be all about...do they explain what the hell that is in the movie?

Basically, I guess I'm wondering if there's any value in looking that movie up (anyone know if it's on Netflix streaming?) or whether its just yet more of an already hackneyed narrative.

Combine Rustler:

Is it really now? A devout christian might argue that my life is diminished by not having read the most important deeds and teachings of Jesus Christ, and my literature teacher is on the same opinion about not having read Crime and Punishment. A philosophy major would probably say the same about Nietsche's writings. And yet I got a gut feeling that this doesn't make one fucking ounce of difference with regards to how "good" or "meaningful" my life is.
... the fuck did I just say all that for? Must be the late night crazies...

It was intended to be an hiperbolic expression of the excellent overall quality of said films, particularly Rashomon. Kurosawa is an outstanding filmmaker, rivalled only by Sergio Leone. If you want actual quality movies, watch those.

Infernai:

Shinji is a 14 year old boy in the beginning of the series, he's a 14 year old boy at the end of the series. Significant change doesn't all of sudden happen on it's own. The Trauma that Shinji undergoes takes years to overcome, even with therapy.

Guts is about 14 at the start of Berserk, it takes him a long time to open to Caska, years even. It's simply not realistic to expect so much from a someone who's gone through with what they have.

SadakoMoose:
Hey son, I want you (an untrained civilian teenager) to enter into combat with creatures beyond human comprehension with the power to level cities. Oh, and you're going to have to breath liquid oxygen. Don't worry, it only FEELS like you're drowning!

Hey son, here's a sexy older woman who's SUPPOSED to be kind of like a legal guardian, but she's sexually attractive! Have fun sorting that one out with your crazy hormones!

Oh, and here's a mentally traumatized German red head that hates you and is hitting on an older man. She saw her mom hang herself when she was like 5 or something! Oh, and I think she hates you, did I say that already? Good luck with those damaged goods!

Oh, and here's this kind of anemic looking cute chick that never expresses any emotion whatsoever! She's totally blank, can't feel anything, and is colder than Vanilla Ice on a glacier! Good luck getting warmth out of this!
Oh and, btw, I'm still not going to treat you with any kind of warmth even though I'm literally your only parent. It's almost like I don't see you as a son at all! Boy, won't you be surprised...

You've pretty much summed up all my issue's with the characters. Yeah Shinji is a whiney bitch at times but jesus christ, look who he has to work with! I honestly give him credit for not flat out fragging Asuka and Rei during a mission.

The only one I can feel some pity for is Misato, granted she's a mess as well but I can atleast trust her to have my back if I need help.

To me Asuka and Rei are just revolting human beings (and that'a fething stretch with Rei) besides Gendo in the whole damn series...

If ya'll want to read about giant robots I would advise you to go read "Titanicus" by Dan Abnett, there's some proper bloody giant robots in that story.

senordesol:

Hmm... okay...

Do they ever explain what this 'catastrophe' was? Was it an asteroid? Because everything seems more or less back to normal in the show...aside from the angels running around and retractable cities.

Now it's been years since I've seen it, but I also seem to remember some sort of...something (I think it was a dead angel) nailed to a cross that Shinji's dad seemed to be all about...do they explain what the hell that is in the movie?

Basically, I guess I'm wondering if there's any value in looking that movie up (anyone know if it's on Netflix streaming?) or whether its just yet more of an already hackneyed narrative.

Well if you want further explanation you won't find it in the movies, for the most part anyway. I recommend finding an article or essay written about it. Evangelion is about depression and the actual plot only exists to be about that theme. In the show he learns to overcome this depression and stop caring what others think of him. In the movie he doesn't and ends up in an abandoned wasteland, an outcast from everyone else. All this is tied together with a lot of crazy imagery.

Casual Shinji:

Infernai:

Except Tenchi doesn't get intimate, because... I really don't know (well, I do). With Shinji I can understand it; he's fucked up. But why Tenchi refuses to answer the avances of the many female companions - which he obviously cares a great deal for, otherwise he wouldn't risk his life saving them all the time - is baffling. And he's clearly not asexual.

The answer to this one is that Tenchi is a fucking terrible show.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here