Neon Genesis Evangelion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Ahahha omg this was great. Exact thoughts I had when I was watching the show for the first time even as a teenager the same age as Shinji and still today after seeing the remakes. Thank god in the newer movies he seems to have a fucking ark at last and hopefully won't be moping around like an idiot in the next one.

darksakul:

Only thing Shinji Ikari needs is Noah Bright (from MS Gundam) to "Bright Bitch slap" the emo out of him.

Funny you should mention that. That actually happens in a Super Robot Wars game. It's so effective that, in a later game, Shinji actually tells Gundam SEED's Kira Yamato to man up and get over the whole not killing enemy pilots thing.

senordesol:

So maybe someone can help me out here. There was some sort of event called 'second impact' that is constantly referenced but no one explains (but somehow unleashed these 'Angels') Why is it the second impact? When was the first one?

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, this article over at EvaGeeks should (hopefully) clear a few things up: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Second_Impact

senordesol:

Hmm... okay...

Do they ever explain what this 'catastrophe' was? Was it an asteroid? Because everything seems more or less back to normal in the show...aside from the angels running around and retractable cities.

Now it's been years since I've seen it, but I also seem to remember some sort of...something (I think it was a dead angel) nailed to a cross that Shinji's dad seemed to be all about...do they explain what the hell that is in the movie?

Basically, I guess I'm wondering if there's any value in looking that movie up (anyone know if it's on Netflix streaming?) or whether its just yet more of an already hackneyed narrative.

As you can see second impact was a big ass angel waking up.

The crucified angel thing was called lillith and was the thing humanity was born from or something. I'm pretty sure they said that in the series.

I liked the movie for the good action and pure mind-fuckery in it. Its a bit more straight to the point with everything than the random philosophical episodes that happened at the end of the TV series, but it still can leave you going "What the fuck!?". Its not on Netflix streaming, but I think some people have managed to post it on youtube while avoiding copyrights somehow.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Lost all faith/interest in it really. It was disgusting, that scene. Thankfully the ending to FMA (the original, not brotherhood) brought renewed interest in the entire genre.

*twitch* Original?

I would also with whoever mentioned that Anime shouldn't be a genre, dismissing all animation from a country because of one weird scene is kind of going overboard.

OT: I was never really that much of a fan of NGE, especially after the last couple episodes. It was just such a bad way to end the series. I want to check out the later movies though to see if the new endings rectify any of that as the show did at least hold some interest to me until that point.

Oh, and Shinji, one of the hot chicks has a boyfriend already. One is a clone of your mom. And one is written of in the Book of Revelations as The Great Beast That Is Called "Dragon". So at the very least use a condom.

... and people whined about Mass Effect 3's ending... Evangelion's ending is even worse.

BTW, Shinji is a whimp and his dad is a jerk.

Hated Evangelion then. Hate it now.

Seriously, man up, Shinji. You're the worst waste of celluoid since Freddy Got Fingered.

Grey Carter:
snip

i love you man, you just summed up almost every reason i hate that show

and just to be confrontational

I'd rather have an MS-18E, that's a giant robot with class

I agree,
Gendo Ikari = likeable
Shinji Ikari = unlikeable

DVS BSTrD:
This can't be an Neon Genesis Evangelion comic.
THE ENDING MADE PERFECT SENSE!

Grey Carter:
I'm just saying that by any sane metric, Gendo Ikari is the best dad in the universe.

All that abandoning you for years, using you as a pawn in my schemes, and never treating you like a son. Forcing you to constantly hang around two beautiful women who will never sleep with you and a 'robot' I treat more like my own child than you, that TOTALLY makes up for it right?

I think Gray was just owned.

Ya the story made no sense but his hatred for his father was the only thing that did have good logic too it.

F*** yes, good one!
But seriously, i watched that like one and a half dekade ago and it is so full of symbolism and subtext and stuff and... damn i went crazy on some episodes about how they were handling their issues and breeding about their pasts... and actually that was the case on most episodes.
The only things keeping me from becoming depressed myself while watching this were the giant robots, girls and pseudo-aliens.
I mean, what's not to love about it?!

The funniest thing about this strip for me is the fact that I am nearly done rewatching the original series when this was posted.

If you ignore the psychological torture inflicted on Shinji throughout the series then the argument is perfectly valid. The fact that he never did try anything with Asuka or Rei while the world was falling apart around him just makes him seem even more unrealistic.

A friend of mine tried to get me into the series, but I just couldn't stop making fun of the whiny main character and the robots on extension cords.

I just assumed it was another one of those Japanese things

Wingy kid syndrome

Okay, this is now my favourite Critical Miss comic. "'Sup, son." and "We order them in bulk." were just damn funny. Perfect.

I like the redhead's shirt.

SupahGamuh:
... and people whined about Mass Effect 3's ending... Evangelion's ending is even worse.

Actually, people did (and do) bitch about Evas original ending. Which, I must admit, I found somewhat baffling. Though the fact Shinji was heading for a breakdown was somewhat obvious, so the ending made sense if you just figured that what you were seeing was all in Shinji's head.

These are but a few of the reasons why I avoid Anime with a passion. I have watched the first incarnation of Full Metal Alchemist, and I have watched Deathnote. The only reason I did was because a friend wouldn't shut up about them. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed both. Otherwise, what I have seen of other Anime makes me not want to watch any of them.

ThunderCavalier:
... I just now realized. Granted, the guy is still one of the most massive pricks in the universe if you look at everything else he did, but... shit.

Shinji's an ungrateful, whiny bitch.

... btw, I'd honestly accept that offer if it only offered Rei, mainly because I <3 Rei over Asuka and Misato.

No, he's just not likeable.

In all reality getting chucked into a giant robot that grants a 13 year old huge amounts of power provided he fights terrifying robots from god knows where would probably make you a jaded bitch too.

Oh, and you feel everything Mr. bot does too. So when your arm gets ripped off? Yeah. Ow.

The first thing you need to realize is that at some level Evangellion is trying to be a deconstruction (yes, its being used loosely here) of the mecha genre. Of all the things it chose to focus on, its the idea that the "average kid thrown into unusual situation" trope isn't done wrong, but the idea that the kid is going to both be completely well-adjusted to society, and maintaining it is beyond odd. Especially when you start building coincidence on coincidence.

The second thing you need to realize is that the crap about "not running away" is actually a very common trope in Japanese anime and over story mediums. No, it wasn't spoon fed to you, and the west has another way of looking at it (was it Dumbledore who talked about doing what's right, versus what's easy?) but the idea is that you have obligations and expectations, and the attempt to abandon them is catastrophic, and not just for you. The flip side of it is that sometimes you have to do some pretty crazy shit. Like piloting giant robots.

Grey Carter:
Neon Genesis Evangelion

You Mustn't Run Away

Read Full Article

As a massive fan of the original show, and the remake movies, I laughed. I laughed a lot.

I always felt for Shinji, even if he was a bit of a twat, his reasons I could at least stack up and say "Yeah, fair enough".

So......any news on Rebuild 3?

rayen020:

Also still want a giant robot.

Keep in mind that the 'Giant Robot' is more of a giant cyborg. And that anyone that pilots the Eva feels whatever damage is done to it. Giant Robots are significantly less cool once piloting one lets you know just how much it hurts to have an arm broken, stabbed in the face and have a bomb explode in your face (all of that happened in just Shinji's first time out in his new giant robot.

Kopikatsu:

K84:
-stuff-

Back in the day (I mean way back), pre-teen girls would get married off to old men and for them to have kids shortly after marriage. This was a common and accepted practice.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, or any act at all. You likely only feel that it's wrong because that's part of your societal mores.

Still happens with some underdeveloped societies sadly, but i see your point.
But, if it's all the same, i remain to believe that "sexual" interest in a 14 year old is wrong.
Even fictional ones.

Loving attentive father vs robot building, pimping father.....hmmm I'll get back to you on that.

animehermit:

Casual Shinji:

Infernai:
True, however Guts does have a VERY good reason why he takes a long time to trust others. But the fact remains that as opposed to say Tenchi, Guts actually does, at one point become romantically involved and ends up becoming sexually intimate with some one. I don't deny he still has problems, especially now given what's happened but, at one point, he was able to open up and allow himself to care for another person in a way Shinji and Tenchi havn't been able too.

Except Tenchi doesn't get intimate, because... I really don't know (well, I do). With Shinji I can understand it; he's fucked up. But why Tenchi refuses to answer the avances of the many female companions - which he obviously cares a great deal for, otherwise he wouldn't risk his life saving them all the time - is baffling. And he's clearly not asexual.

The answer to this one is that Tenchi is a fucking terrible show.

Honestly, I quite liked the show, except for the main character himself. You replace him with a piece of furniture and I'd be all over that shit.

Grahav:
Well, they are crazy bitches and you feel all the pain the robot feels in battle.

Could work well for a sadomasochist.

you smash a building and your arm gets blown to pieces inside it? ouch.

Metallgoth:
These are but a few of the reasons why I avoid Anime with a passion. I have watched the first incarnation of Full Metal Alchemist, and I have watched Deathnote. The only reason I did was because a friend wouldn't shut up about them. I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed both. Otherwise, what I have seen of other Anime makes me not want to watch any of them.

Paranoia Agent, by the late Satoshi Kon. You've never seen anything quite like it, anime or otherwise.

Honestly, the message of it was life-changing for me.

Wow, the fans of this show are quite butthurt.

I tried to watch this show, but man is it f-ing boring. Its why the game Catherine sucked ass. 90% of the population can't sit through a story with an unlikeable and idiotic protagonist. Who do we cheer for? Do we ignore everything and just watch the pretty robot fights? Its all stupid if you ask me.

There are better shows for robot battles that don't take themselves so ridiculously serious and don't have random sexual encounters that would never happen in real life ever. I think its another case of japan just being f-g weird. And not in the good way.

The Great JT:
All I will say is Giant Robot + Hot Chicks = Dad gets free pass to be distant and a dick.

throw in a unicorn and he can be evil.

Sushewakka:

Combine Rustler:

Is it really now? A devout christian might argue that my life is diminished by not having read the most important deeds and teachings of Jesus Christ, and my literature teacher is on the same opinion about not having read Crime and Punishment. A philosophy major would probably say the same about Nietsche's writings. And yet I got a gut feeling that this doesn't make one fucking ounce of difference with regards to how "good" or "meaningful" my life is.
... the fuck did I just say all that for? Must be the late night crazies...

It was intended to be an hiperbolic expression of the excellent overall quality of said films, particularly Rashomon. Kurosawa is an outstanding filmmaker, rivalled only by Sergio Leone. If you want actual quality movies, watch those.

Well all right then.

I'm pretty certain he's meant to be gay, right? That's what I got from watching the show. He likes the dick. Or maybe his dad is just an asshole and nothing he does for him will make up for how he actually feels about him. And also the giant robot is actually a living entity that causes its drivers to go insane and shit. And also the giant robot has to fight off the deadliest creatures in the universe and barely manages to do so. And also that most of those hot women turn out to be either aliens or psychopaths.

But, he is gay, right? Right?? I have all this fanfiction y'see and... I mean, right?

Why do so many people confuse "lack of any useful info" with "deep"?

Evangelion is just a lil bit deeper than Pokemon. Confusion and lack of clarification isn't equal depth.

Andy of Comix Inc:
I'm pretty certain he's meant to be gay, right? That's what I got from watching the show. He likes the dick. Or maybe his dad is just an asshole and nothing he does for him will make up for how he actually feels about him. And also the giant robot is actually a living entity that causes its drivers to go insane and shit. And also the giant robot has to fight off the deadliest creatures in the universe and barely manages to do so. And also that most of those hot women turn out to be either aliens or psychopaths.

You know, I won't lie, its an interesting idea that perhaps the one of the reasons Shinji feels so threatened by Misato and Asuka, who are very sexual beings, is that he is indeed gay and is really off put by their advances.

Well, fanfiction aside that is :p

Gordon_4:

Andy of Comix Inc:

You know, I won't lie, its an interesting idea that perhaps the one of the reasons Shinji feels so threatened by Misato and Asuka, who are very sexual beings, is that he is indeed gay and is really off put by their advances.

Well, fanfiction aside that is :p

It would also explain his ill feeling towards his dad who expects him to be someone he doesn't feel comfortable being. See, there's traction to that theory. Plus, every monster in Evangelion is phallic to some degree - except for the very last one, with which almost destroys the entire Earth: a giant, naked woman. Hmmm? What might that represent?? HMMM??

A THEORY IS FORMING.

BiH-Kira:

Evangelion is just a lil bit deeper than Pokemon. Confusion and lack of clarification isn't equal depth.

Well, it's deep in the same way a Miyazaki film, or a Hideo Kojima game, is. It's a got a simple plot and a decent cast and such, but it's very much the subject of its creator's mind and comes attached with all these strings and images and imagery and symbolism and all that which very much constitutes it as something of an "art". Deepness does, you know, become relevant by digging under the surface, right? Surface value is confusion. Digging deeper... well, more confusion, but eventually you get to the core and you know there's a story being told that wants to be told. As an artistic person, I always try to hide the "deepness" of a story... deep. You know, layer it. Straightforward story. Muddy it a little. Muddy it some more. Bury deepness under layers of mud and everyone gets their hands dirty and this is an awful analogy so I'll stop typing now

The Lugz:

Grahav:
Well, they are crazy bitches and you feel all the pain the robot feels in battle.

Could work well for a sadomasochist.

you smash a building and your arm gets blown to pieces inside it? ouch.

Ah, no. You just feel the pain, the arm stays in place. No fun dying from blood loss, and organ failure when you can die from overwhelming PAIN!

BiH-Kira:

The reason why Evangelion is so good is because none of the stuff that makes it so is obvious. You have to think about what you're watching. It's kinda like a puzzle that you have to figure out. Some people go years without fully understanding all of it. Hell I've seen all the movies and the TV 4-5 times now, and I'm not sure I even fully understand it all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here