Spider-Man's Knickers

Pages PREV 1 2

I just finished Spec Ops: The Line the other day, and maybe it's because it's fresh in my mind, but I think that game probably had the best use of damage over time on the character models I've ever seen in a game. Certainly it helped with making the characters vulnerable, which helped to make them seem even more badass, but it was the thematic connotations that I liked.

When I played through Arkham Asylum, The clothing damage was actually somewhat disturbing. I always saw batman as untouchable, a highly skilled badass in every sense of the word, a legend that strikes fear in the hearts of criminals everywhere. But then as the game went on, I saw he was human and vulnerable. It was very effective.

Anyone else really NOT want a spider-cheeseburger?

SonicWaffle:

Zachary Amaranth:

SonicWaffle:
I dunno about the scarring thing - remember how well that worked in Fable 2? Absolutely nobody gave a shit, and half the time they were covered up by clothing or armour anyway.

Not to mention, half the players were like "Holy shit! That looks awesome!" Which defeated Molyneux's supposed point.

Molyneux had a point beyond "check out what I can do, bitches!"?

I'm as surprised as you are. Considering the fact that death didn't mean crap in the game, that most of the time any scars you may of earned wouldn't be visible anyways, and that there seemed to be a glitch (or not) wherein all those scars you earned pretty much got wiped clean...

Not to mention that any "negative" effect said scars had on your appearance was countered quicker than an EX Shoryuken countering an idiot jumper by just equipping a piece of clothing...

Yeah. Did fit in with the rest of the game though! A bunch of pointless, unchallenging nonsense!

Yahtzee, actually using the word "badass" to describe a character? Well, this is new.

Freedom Fighters did it quite well too. There were several significant stages in the game marking your transition from fresh-faced plumber to war-weary fighter. By the end of the game the protagonist's clothing is torn, patched and things like coats are added as winter comes. Over the course of the game he picks up all sorts of scars and his hair grows to his shoulders. In spite of everything, you could see that it was still the outfit he started the game with.

Shame it didn't last very long, and the story was basically Red Dawn in New York. Pretty good fun though.

And then there was the Mass Effect franchise, wherein positive thoughts of puppies and sunshine actually did away with the main character's scars.

cursedseishi:
Yeah. Did fit in with the rest of the game though! A bunch of pointless, unchallenging nonsense!

I didn't actually hate the game, and I did finish it, but I can certainly remember parts that challenged me.

Playing the arena in co-op for instance, or the shooting range, or figuring out how to get those dman demon doors open.

It wasn't exactly fun, but it wasn't a total cakewalk either.

Rayne07:
And then there was the Mass Effect franchise, wherein positive thoughts of puppies and sunshine actually did away with the main character's scars.

Or, if you wanted to play a douchenozzle, advanced technology could get rid of your scars for a price. One wonders why Garrus kept his fucked-up face, in that case...

Only problem I've got with Yahtzee's comparison is that the villains for Spider-man are actually a serious threat. I haven't played the new game, but a huge juggernaut with a rhino horn, lizard-people, and someone who can control electricity certainly stack up better than a guy playing in a refrigerator, a clown, and a hippy plant lady. Oh, you have a problem with a comparison? We'll throw in a midget with an umbrella and lawyer with skin issues. Makes it much more scary.

I would love to see a game that explores Batman being a psychopath who is beating up a bunch of innocent people on their way to their real jobs. It would explain how everyone gets out of Arkham all the time... every clown batman sees is the Joker.

The 'Choppington' bit made me double take, seeing as that's the name of the town/village (its kind of vague) I live in XD

Teoes:
That could work in quite well with Yahtzee's idea of reverse levelling (starting off at "max level" and gradually choosing skills to lose as you progress to increase challenge in the game) from an Extra Punctuation waaaay back.

That's a crazy idea. It'd have to be opt out, but it'd be a lot of fun for fans looking for a challenge.

The closest I can come to relating to this article is the blood from Dragon Age. Which was annoying, both visually and plotwise. They go through this entire spiel about how Dark Spawn blood kills people, then you walk around half the game with it lathered all over you. What happens when you get some in your mouth? This is probably why they made Leliana out to be an archer.

It could work, but it'd be a lot of fuss over who wants it/doesn't want it, what to do with busty female heroes, etc.

hydroblitz:
When I played through Arkham Asylum, The clothing damage was actually somewhat disturbing. I always saw batman as untouchable, a highly skilled badass in every sense of the word, a legend that strikes fear in the hearts of criminals everywhere. But then as the game went on, I saw he was human and vulnerable. It was very effective.

I saw it as showing he was out of the comic-book glory days of his adventures, when he could maybe take a hit or get his suit torn, but once he'd won he could go home to the Batcave and just get fixed up. Even when Bane snapped his spine that one time, Batman just went home and chilled in a wheelchair till he was okay again. Not in Arkham City, though. He was stuck and had to see it through to the very end before he could get refreshed.

And yet you dismissed it when Fable 2 did it, because "not everyone gives a shit". Am I missing something?

Trishbot:

Batman never had hot, intimate, inter-species alien sex with me.

Speak for yourself. >.>

I do enjoy games where you get battle scarred. That's why I've always been a fan of status effects.

Another thing that comes to mind is Alone in the Dark:
It had costume damage, but it was impossible to take seriously (like a lot of things in Alone in the Dark) because A: Carnby would develop these wounds if he even brushed up against one of the ridiculously named enemies, and B: The wounds all look more like sliced ham than battle damage.

Oh, and the Walker thing sounds interesting. Damn, I need to get around to Spec Ops: The Line.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here