Zero Punctuation: Half-Life

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Half-Life

This week, it's time for that game.

Watch Video

That was really unexpected, and I found it quite enjoyable. Especially that line at the end. That made me smile.

Now that made my day. I must say I enjoy the retrospectives more than some of modern title reviews.

Mortamus:
Now that made my day. I must say I enjoy the retrospectives more than some of modern title reviews.

because alot of games today are shit :P

One of the best vids you made thus far Yahtzee,well done good sir,well done!

I have forgotten the day where I laughed so much.

Well at least we know now that Yahtzee doesn't like it just because of nostalgia.

It's also good to see Yahtzee not-so-subtly reaffirm his status as the alpha nerd.

We weren't blinded by Nostalgia
We were blinded by SCIENCE!

Excellent game, i didn't finish it because the version i got from steam kept crashing every five minutes but i still liked it a lot.
I actually liked the jumping puzzles too, it gave a sense of desperation and vulnerability, even if they were quite frustrating but lots of rocket jumping practice in tf2 has made crouch jumping second nature :D

This also brings to mind a quote from the Prince of Persia retrospective about what happens when you take one good thing and ruin it:

"Never stick your dick in a pudding. It might still be good pudding, and you could spend all day explaining that but no ones going to eat it, because you STUCK YOUR DICK IN IT."

IDK, I was never able to get into Half-Life. I've only briefly played it once at a friend's place. Maybe I should go back and give it another try sometime.

Also thanks so much for that image Yahtzee. >__<

To answer your question, Yatzee, I think Freeman is regarded as an icon in the Half-Life universe just for surviving all the shit went down in the original game. We're playing an incredibly resourceful and intelligent person who managed to see the end of a disaster before suddenly disappearing off the face of the planet.

I'd, frankly, hail anyone who pulled something like that off as the next Jesus.

Still just about the best game I've ever played.

i actually liked the first half like over the second. i felt it had better pacing

Well, I found the "Freemans Mind" Version of Gordon most interesting - he simply declares that everyone else went crazy and that the universe tries to kill him for no reason other than being "awesome".

Also, there might be some glad to hear (yes, I am talking to you two guys) and several who might forgot about "Black Mesa", the fan-made remake, featuring an enhanched version of Half Life without chaning much of the basic gameplay (Health Pick ups, no iron sight except for the Revolver, better visuals,...) without sacrificing anything what was good.
There was even recently a leak of a video of a very recent build of the mod (4 to 5 weeks old). It has been taken down from YT since then, but someone else downloaded it beforehand and uploaded it. You can get it here. (Check the rest of that threat to find a Q&A about that video a bit earlier on)

And yes, HL1 did age well except visually. Nobody can really deny that it looks pretty bad nowerdays (but there are worse looking games, which came later), even the HD Models kind of save it a bit from looking like absolute ass.

Yeah, I still think the Half-Life series is mediocre at best and boring at worst lol.

Sorry, Yahtzee ;D

Seriously? Nothing else to review this week?

Anyway. HL was great for its time. Today it kinda sucks, but it still has its moments and it's still a BAZILLION times better than that shit of a sequel.

Anyway, now Yahtzee has opened a flood of requests to critique old games.

Why not check out Mafia? One of the greatest games of all time. Or MDK2. Or Doom. Or whatever.

"Counter Strike. Game of choice for the first generation of realistic military shooter Gutter Cunts, who's hate filled whims now dictate half the fucking industry."

Well said Yahtzee. Well said.

I liked seeing the old game reviewed. I hope to see more 'classics' up next!

Azex:

Mortamus:

because alot of games today are shit :P

OT: This got me thinking, I never finished half life 1 as a teen, should be interesting to do the same thing as Yahtzee and see if it holds up.

Yahtzee. Next time you do one of these you should do Killer 7.

We all know what Gordon Freeman is really like thanks to Ross Scott (look up Freeman Mind on Youtube).
I shouldn't be suprised that Yatzee like the game despite the flaws he had pointed out.

Great... now theres going to be fawning over half-life for the next two weeks...

Though, now that Ive watched Freeman's Mind, thats what I will constaqntly think of Gordon Freeman as... and I do feel the slight urge to try them again...

fenixkane:
Yahtzee. Next time you do one of these you should do Killer 7.

Did he kind of do Killer 7 for the No More Heroes review?

I'd like a review of Earthbound but I'm not holding my breath for it.

1nfinite_Cros5:
To answer your question, Yatzee, I think Freeman is regarded as an icon in the Half-Life universe just for surviving all the shit went down in the original game. We're playing an incredibly resourceful and intelligent person who managed to see the end of a disaster before suddenly disappearing off the face of the planet.

Techincally, so did Breen, and he's regarded as the almighty Judas.

jmarquiso:

1nfinite_Cros5:

I think we're onto something here.

I got Half Life in the Steam summer sale. Haven't got very far so far. I've found myself dying. A lot. I obviously suck at the whole retro PC FPS thing.

Maybe Valve will take notice and at long last release its next installment of Half-life. You know the one, the one we've all be crying and craving and begging for since 2008. That's right; Half-life: Citrus Bazooka. Come on, Valve! Hurry the eff up!

Two years ago I decided to replay Half-Life once more to see if it stood the test of time. It totally did. Visually it's ugly, with it coming out right at the time of the awkward transition between 2D and 3D (the high-res models helped a bit here), but it's still an incredible game. It starts slow, but once the accident happens and you have to escape the game gets you and never lets you go.

Its nice to see that Yatzee didn't bash the shit outta the game to annoy all that the valve fans here.

I still hate Half-Life 2 and this sounds to be very similar if a little better. But after hearing his comment about Half-Life 1 coming out when he was 15, I had to check the release date. This game was definitely ahead of its time, but I feel that the source Engine was the real accomplishment, not the game.

1nfinite_Cros5:

jmarquiso:

1nfinite_Cros5:

I think we're onto something here.

That's because Breen sold out.

jmarquiso:

1nfinite_Cros5:

What would that make Barney, Kleiner, and Vance? I find Vance the most amazing, as everything that went on in the first game was like a horror movie, and he was the only black guy. I think that's quite an accomplishment to survive that as a black man. Though I can understand Gordan getting the Jesus status as he did survive it, take out most military and alien forces and destroyed the controlled leader of the aliens. And he only became big in Half-Life 2 after he had taken out a few hundred soldiers, he was just well known among his friends because he was a genius and he kicked some ass. And the beard, that is his claim to fame.

Didn't actually watch the video yet, but whoa...

I didn't believe my eyes when I saw it on Google Reader.

"Eat science!" needs to be a t-shirt. Get on that, Escapist. Now.

I've tried to play this game many times but always lose interest the second the soldiers show up.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here