No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Moviebob tries to scoop us this week by talking about Knightfall, but we one-up him by bringing in death of Superman. Which comic book death holds the title of worst?

Watch Video

Death of Cpt. America in Civil War. Only major comic book hero killed solely to get a dig in at an American political movement that incidentally has been completely non-violent. Not to mention the enshrinement of the 2nd amendment is at complete odds with the idea of registering super heroes because they're "dangerous".

Why are you ignoring me Chris and Kyle! I just want to be your friend.
Also I like the way you guys confuse me about comic book stories.

Knightfall: Why are there so many "Supervillains"?
Why are there so many "Supervillains"?
The brochure said there'd only be a few "Supervillains"
This is a terrible Death of a Superhero

Death of Superman: Same as above, just replace 'Supervillains' with 'camera angles'

HOWEVER! Worst death ret-con goes to Captain America.

I think all comic book deaths are lame, because of the fact that they always come back, it just gets redundant after awhile...

except for the Ultimate Universe, where spiderman actually died and it was flippen awesome.

isn't the worst death kinda aunt may since that kicked off one more day?
yeah and the death of captain america in civil war was stupid.

death of peter parker and mary-janes marriage?
not an actual death, but i'll use any excuse to bash one more day

I think superman was deader than batman because batman was at least conscious

Only thing I could think about during this debate was that Marvel needs a Blackest Night type thing to happen.

TheFederation:
death of peter parker and mary-janes marriage?
not an actual death, but i'll use any excuse to bash one more day

I think for a lot of people the character of spiderman died that day.

esperandote:
I think superman was deader than batman because batman was at least conscious

That was kind of their point. Batman wasn't really 'dead' at all, making it a worse comic-book death then superman, who was kinda-sorta-not-really dead.

Why does batman win? Because the Batman always wins, even at losing.

I really have no otherwise input of "deaths" of the comic book universe.

Jean Grey should win this one.
She actually dies everytime, drama follows, and comes back.
And don't tell me Hope Summers is not in some way a reincarnation of Jean Grey...
But her deaths are just gimmicks.

Batman's "death" was a long, drawn-out affair where both the man and the idea of batman were slowly destroyed...before being slowly rebuilt.

Superman's "death" was an excuse to issue a lot of press releases and introduce a few new, minor characters. There's no buildup, just a convenient plot device (Doomsday) that shows up to get him out of the way until...poof, he's all better after the new Superman that no one liked sacrifices himself.

Christ fellas if you're gonna discuss The Death of Superman how can you do that without bringing up this video from the director of Chronicle going on one hell of an enjoyable rant about Superman killing death?

Spider-man's "One More Day" killed the character for me. It's the only event where the very CORE of the character (great power, great responsibility) was butchered so painfully and miserably.

But, um, guys... Batman was JUST "killed" a year or so ago. Dick Grayson took over as Batman (and he was awesome at it), but Batman himself was catapulting through a thousand lives from the dawn of time or something to be reborn and reincarnated into a new form in modern day... or some crap like that. Seriously, Grant Morrison is like Alan Moore's level of crazy, only without the misogyny.

My personal worst comic book death was actually Azrael. Despite his low points in "Knightfall", Azrael was an awesome character who had an awesome series (for the first 50 issues), but it ended with him "dying", but no body was found. They teased his return for years and years... only for them to give him a throwaway death confirmation in Blackest Night.

Grr.....

But....if the reason that Chris won was cos Batman didn't really die....well doesn't that make it the worst death? As in it's bad because it's not impactful at all?

Oh i don't know, i kept loosing track of which of the guys was arguing for or against in this one!

mcnally86:
Why are you ignoring me Chris and Kyle! I just want to be your friend.
Also I like the way you guys confuse me about comic book stories.

How are they ignoring you? Did you ask to be friends on Facebook or something? I'll go beat them up if you explain your reasoning. Heck, I'll beat them up anyways.

Xanthious:
Christ fellas if you're gonna discuss The Death of Superman how can you do that without bringing up this video from the director of Chronicle going on one hell of an enjoyable rant about Superman killing death?

That video makes me happy

post="6.384448.15258048"]Knightfall: Why are there so many "Supervillains"?
Why are there so many "Supervillains"?
The brochure said there'd only be a few "Supervillains"
This is a terrible Death of a Superhero

Death of Superman: Same as above, just replace 'Supervillains' with 'camera angles'

HOWEVER! Worst death ret-con goes to Captain America.[/quote]

Yay for family guy reference!

Lian Harper. Cry for Justice pissed me off so much.

Thor's most recent death(how many times has he died now?) was pretty stupid and barely worth the effort.

Batman's "death" was also dumb, although it did lead to Nightwing becoming Batman and that turned out pretty well so that kinda balances out.

Captain America's "death" was like Bat's, expect he got replaced by the guy with the worst sidekick name ever.

So you choose a character who didn't die and then decide his death was the worst because he wasn't as dead as the other one? :D

Fun episode though

I actually liked Knightfall... it built up the events that deposed Batman for a time and didn't actually kill him so it was less ludicrous when he returned, plus it spend enough time on him putting himself back together and showing how his successor bollocksed things up that it felt credible that he could and needed to return.

I think Captain America gets the worst death, at first it seemed really promising, he's killed abruptly after failing to secure continued freedoms for super humans, the shock wave of his death is felt throughout the world, the man he was opposing, Iron Man, falls out of favor leaving a huge gap to be filled. In the absence of having someone as iconic as Captain America, the nation turns to a madman to become the head of the Avengers and the national defense force overall, simply because he got a lucky shot in during an invasion.

Then they needlessly bring him back, saying that the gun he was shot with was actually some kinda time travel device or something moronic like that and he's stuck inside his past self until he can break free from his previous memories. The story was horrid and he obviously should have been left dead. I love the character but I think killing him sent a really strong message, leaving him dead would have made the universe seem a bit more real, more uneasy, if you can kill Captain America than you can kill anybody (except Spider-Man and Wolverine, of course).

Correct me if I'm wrong, I mean I don't read comic books, but wasn't the Death of Superman meant to tie into the death of one of DC's, and Superman's in particular, head writers?

Oh, how about all the characters that have been killed off in Marvel's recent big events solely for the reason that Marvel seems to think it can't be a big event if someone doesn't die.

K84:
Jean Grey should win this one.
She actually dies everytime, drama follows, and comes back.
And don't tell me Hope Summers is not in some way a reincarnation of Jean Grey...
But her deaths are just gimmicks.

Should have gone with one of her 11 deaths in one comic. It took place over two pages in the comic.

Everyone misses the point of Doomsday (at least, the original point, until he was returning every five issues...). Doomsday was the villain Superman had to punch... because there was no other way to defeat him. There was nothing intelligent Superman could do against him, because Doomsday would smash through it. Doomsday was the one creature Superman had to physically fight, no taunts, no tricks, nothing...

Oh, and a big point you missed about both deaths... they were always leading up to #500 (of two different comics, but #500 nonetheless).

I don't oppose you comparing Superman's Death with Batman's for worst, but WHY did you pick "Knightfall" when Batman doesn't die, but is merely out of commission for a short amount of time? If you want to go with his death, Bruce Wayne/Batman dies at the hands of Dark Seid in Final Crisis' "Batman RIP." Not only is that the true death of Batman, it is still worse than Superman's because they still brought Bruce back in the most convoluted ways possible, rather than let Dick Grayson keep the cowl in his stead, and let the legacy of Batman move on. This argument is a total fail for not even using a real death-story for Batman. Shame.

Drowning in air quotes...

Again, Marvel glasses in a DC debate. :P

I read Death of Superman, and absolutely loved it purely on the basis that Superman dies. I really hate him.

HOLY SHIT!. I have those exact same super hero cups.

kiri2tsubasa:
Lian Harper. Cry for Justice pissed me off so much.

Thank you. Apparently she doesn't exist in the reboot either. In fact it seems that entire Titans team doesn't exist in the reboot.

I don't think I'm liking the reboot.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 51590)