How to Hate

How to Hate

One approach to taking down the menace of the week in your local playgroup.

Read Full Article

I am officially retiring the Craterhoof deck, undefeated.

Steve Butts:
I am officially retiring the Craterhoof deck, undefeated.

Just as long as it goes away...

After reading this I went back and looked through my White/Red deck, and I think it could handle the Craterhoof deck pretty easily, considering I have so many options to stall and that it would have to keep dealing with attacks of its own.

Oblivion Rings, Giestflames, Fiend Hunters, Mirrian Crusaders, Due Respect etc.

I could also side in Arc Trail and Spirit Mantle some early f-u.

But if I knew someone was going to be playing Craterhoof, I'd bring my B/W Venser lockdown.

"I play Craterhoof Behemoth".

"Mana Leak".

"Fuck you".

Paragon Fury:
After reading this I went back and looked through my White/Red deck, and I think it could handle the Craterhoof deck pretty easily, considering I have so many options to stall and that it would have to keep dealing with attacks of its own.

But if I knew someone was going to be playing Craterhoof, I'd bring my B/W Venser lockdown.

"Mana Leak".

"Fuck you".

Haha! I hadn't actually accounted for Arc Trail. Taking out an Archdruid and a mana elf on turn 2 is pretty sweet.

I do have to say, though, Mana Leak has been a bit lackluster in my testing. Unless they've got the ideal draw and are going for broke on turn four, they'll too often have mana to pay for Leak on turn five or later. I found Dissipate a better option, and I'm doing some more testing with Rewind to see how that fares, though it may be too slow to be reliable.

The major problem with just countering Craterhoof is the army of 2/2 or bigger elves that you still have to contend with, thanks to the Archdruids. You will have access to DoJ, though, so between that and a suite of counters, you might fare pretty well against Craterhoof. :)

Spellskite can totally ruin the pump from the elf.

Encaen:

Paragon Fury:

"Mana Leak".

"Fuck you".

Haha! I hadn't actually accounted for Arc Trail. Taking out an Archdruid and a mana elf on turn 2 is pretty sweet.

I do have to say, though, Mana Leak has been a bit lackluster in my testing. Unless they've got the ideal draw and are going for broke on turn four, they'll too often have mana to pay for Leak on turn five or later. I found Dissipate a better option, and I'm doing some more testing with Rewind to see how that fares, though it may be too slow to be reliable.

The major problem with just countering Craterhoof is the army of 2/2 or bigger elves that you still have to contend with, thanks to the Archdruids. You will have access to DoJ, though, so between that and a suite of counters, you might fare pretty well against Craterhoof. :)

I actually don't own any DoJs.....my U/W uses Venser and spells for Infinite Bounce + Stonehorn Dignitary = Opponent never has a combat step from Turn 5 on. I usually just keep doing that until Venser has enough to get his Badge, at which point I'll just use my reserve of creatures and spells to survive one turn, and then go back to bouncing Stonehorn and exiling something every turn.

Its a bit harder to win with, but I've had people and friends tell me its incredibly frustrating to play against, even if you do wind up winning against it. I think my R/W is still better, but the B/W is fun. For the record, the decklist looks like this:

Venser, the Sojourner x2
Inquisitor Exarch x2
Negate x2
Mana Leak x2
Stonehorn Dignitary x4
Gideon's Lawkeeper x4
Gitaxian Probe x4
Aether Adept x2
Vapor Snag x4
Oblivion Ring x4
Suture Priest x2
Phyrexian Ingestor x2
Vedalken Anatomist x2
Village Bell-ringer x2

Island x9
Plains x9
Glacial Fortress x4

Sideboard:
Celestial Purge x2
Flashfreeze x2
Demystify x2
Divine Offering x2
Fiend Hunter x2
Mana Leak x2
Arm with Aether x1
Soul Parry x2

Actually, the Elf Ramp deck with Craterhoof lends itself quite well to a variation on Bonfire of the Damned aggro/ramp. The plan is the same, as always, but swap out the elf theme (keep the Elvish Visionarys, of course) for some Red/green aggro cards like Flinthoof Boar (love that little dude), Strangleroot Geist, and/or Stromkirk Noble, and power cards like the aforementioned Bonfire, Reverberate, Pillar of Flame, Smelt (very important), Huntmaster of the Fells etc... Maybe toss in Hellion Crucible for "something to do" when you have nothing else.

Again, the main goal is to ramp up some little dudes, summon Craterhoof Behemoth, and Trample over everything... but this lets you get around some pesky Control decks.

I've also been working on a janky combo, using the basic Elf Run deck, but revolving instead around Druids' Repository and Door to Nothingness... I haven't been able to pull it off properly yet, but seeing the Door in my hand with 4 counters on Repositories did strike some terror into my opponents... right before they killed me. If only Green Sun's Zenith could find any permanent, not just creatures...

Paragon Fury:

"Mana Leak".

"Cavern of Souls: Beasts"

"Fuck you"

This actually happened to me last week.

Also, needs some Conjurer's Closet. Easier to play than Venser, but without his ultimate.

I generally run universal hate in the sideboard (Mental Misstep, Naturalize, Corrosive Gale) alongside what stops me from just dying to one card. That card being Tomod's Crypt, so I have Steel Sabotage in there.

It seems like a blue/black denial deck would work very well: counter powerful cards, deal damage and -/- counters to all creatures.

The local meta here is either Birthing Pod or Trading Post, so I generally run white. I like to watch people cry when Stony Silence hits the table. For a bit less hateness, I backup with Angel of Jubilation.

:P The whole time I was reading that article I kept thinking "........why not just counter the big fat bastard?" until you finally mentioned Dissipate.

I'd like to see how a well-built mill deck would do against Two-Ton Tony. :3

I say let them ramp up to the behemoth, then fog, laugh, the follow with a day. spot removal any azuris as needed.

Paragon Fury:

I actually don't own any DoJs.....my U/W uses Venser and spells for Infinite Bounce + Stonehorn Dignitary = Opponent never has a combat step from Turn 5 on.

Turn 4 on. You play the stonehorn the turn before dropping vensor.

The problem is that if you don't have an answer on their turn 4, your turn 4 might not show up.

2xDouble:

I've also been working on a janky combo, using the basic Elf Run deck, but revolving instead around Druids' Repository and Door to Nothingness... I haven't been able to pull it off properly yet, but seeing the Door in my hand with 4 counters on Repositories did strike some terror into my opponents... right before they killed me. If only Green Sun's Zenith could find any permanent, not just creatures...

10 mana to win the game (Double rainbow at that) is just painful... there's no way you can ramp up quickly enough in standard to make that work.

Not to mention all the artifact hate running.

I did make an 'antideck' once, which evolved into something of its own for use in friendly multiplayer games, and it was because I kept being foiled by indestructible creatures. (Which were a completely new thing to me at the time).
With mostly only having a smattering backlog of old cards and the Time Spiral block (one booster box of Time Spiral and Planar Chaos' worth at least) as a pool, as well as some odds and ends from a few blocks prior to that which were kindly donated to me, I set about finding a way to set up reusable indestructible creature removal.

The combo I started up with was Merfolk Thaumaturgist and Serendib Sorcerer/Sorceress Queen (as the timeshifted version reminded me of the original) to simply turn those indestructible nasties into 2/0s as often as I liked.
Then I added Fool's Demise and things got silly.

I then started expanding upon this, adding all sorts of instant creature removal, like Assassinate/Death Stroke and reusable power reducers to help with the thaumaturgists like Despondency. I even added a Reveka, Wizard Savant so I could kill things I managed to reduce to 2 toughness somehow, and a Freed from the Real to make it really annoying and possibly a game ender by making every island I had worth two damage.
Thus the deck became a somewhat creature control one, which killed anything that looked at it funny and stole the juiciest targets available with Fool's Demise and then proceeded to beat their former owners with them, with Enslave to catch the ones I couldn't quite kill.
I eventually added some Ersatz Gnomes after a game in which an ally's managed to let me do the kill & control combo on an opponent's Akroma, Angel of Wrath (which I was so happy when I found out it was the first Timeshifted card I pulled incidentally), which I proceeded to beat them to death with.

Here's a great article on how to sideboard for things if anybody wants to read it.

Generally, the best way to go about putting together a sideboard against someone is picking cards that stop them, but still do something for you. A card that cantrips, at the very least, while still screwing with your opponent's game plane is always great.

Draconalis:

2xDouble:

10 mana to win the game (Double rainbow at that) is just painful... there's no way you can ramp up quickly enough in standard to make that work.

Not to mention all the artifact hate running.

Mono Green or G/U control must not be a thing in your local meta...

Turn 1: Forest- Birds of Paradise
Turn 2: Island - Avacyn's Pilgrim, Llanowar Elf, Jace's Phantasm (or Delver of Secrets, but f*** Delver)
Turn 3: Forest - Druid's Repository, swing with Phantasm (DR counters=1), Avacyn's Pilgrim
Turn 4: Any land (preferably Island or blue dual) - any 2 creatures (preferably Elvish Visionary), Swing away, Fog, counter spells as necessary (DR counters=6)
Turn 5: Any land - Swing everything except Pilgrims (DR counters=11), Door to Nothingness, activate Door, win.

Fast enough?

Works great with G/R too, for spells/combos like Thatcher Revolt and Battle Hymn alongside the Door.

Then again, nobody in most metas run Battle of Wits decks either... yet we have two, functioning perfectly.

2xDouble:
Turn 5: Any land - Swing everything except Pilgrims (DR counters=11), Door to Nothingness, activate Door, win.

Doesn't Door to Nothingness come into play tapped?

Edit: Also, you thought of Slagstorm but not Flamebreak? Deals with Ezuri damned well, no matter the turn...

2xDouble:
Snip

So what happens when they use:

ancient grudge, smelt, naturalize, crushing vines, divine offering, revoke existence, crush, shatter

And that's just the spells, which don't take into account the creatures with EtB effects that destroy artifacts? Or spells that destroy enchantments.

What do you do then? What's your alternate win condition?

Ringwraith:
I did make an 'antideck' once, which evolved into something of its own for use in friendly multiplayer games, and it was because I kept being foiled by indestructible creatures. (Which were a completely new thing to me at the time).
With mostly only having a smattering backlog of old cards and the Time Spiral block (one booster box of Time Spiral and Planar Chaos' worth at least) as a pool, as well as some odds and ends from a few blocks prior to that which were kindly donated to me, I set about finding a way to set up reusable indestructible creature removal.

The combo I started up with was Merfolk Thaumaturgist and Serendib Sorcerer/Sorceress Queen (as the timeshifted version reminded me of the original) to simply turn those indestructible nasties into 2/0s as often as I liked.
Then I added Fool's Demise and things got silly.

I then started expanding upon this, adding all sorts of instant creature removal, like Assassinate/Death Stroke and reusable power reducers to help with the thaumaturgists like Despondency. I even added a Reveka, Wizard Savant so I could kill things I managed to reduce to 2 toughness somehow, and a Freed from the Real to make it really annoying and possibly a game ender by making every island I had worth two damage.
Thus the deck became a somewhat creature control one, which killed anything that looked at it funny and stole the juiciest targets available with Fool's Demise and then proceeded to beat their former owners with them, with Enslave to catch the ones I couldn't quite kill.
I eventually added some Ersatz Gnomes after a game in which an ally's managed to let me do the kill & control combo on an opponent's Akroma, Angel of Wrath (which I was so happy when I found out it was the first Timeshifted card I pulled incidentally), which I proceeded to beat them to death with.

I did something very similar but I used Endless Whispers with added Bronze Bombshell antics.

Once used that deck in a 6 way free for all. I got Reassembling Skeleton and Contamination out right at the start.

The ensuing beatdown I got once everyone else produced enough alternate mana to do something was horrific and very funny.

It wasn't a fantastic deck but it blindsided a lot of people.

Encaen:
How to Hate

One approach to taking down the menace of the week in your local playgroup.

Read Full Article

My thought process is a little different but quite similar when coming up against a deck that begins to warp a local meta to the point of needing to be taken out.

I start with just asking a few simple questions;

"What is this deck's plan to win?"
"How does it go about this?"
"When does the deck usually win?"

From this you can determine a list of possible answers from all five colours and choose accordingly.

The craterhoof deck is a combo deck at heart looking to use one or two key cards and go off for the win. As it utilises early creatures to do so rather than spells you are able to disrupt in many more ways than simple counterspells too. That brings a quick list of counters down to:

Red
Arc Trail
Slagstorm
Incinerate
Bonfire of the Damned
Gut Shot

Blue
Mana leak
Dissipate
Rewind
Vapor Snag

White
Oblivion Ring
Fiend Hunter
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Day of Judgment
Various fogs or psuedo fogs such as stonehorn dignitary

Black
Doom Blade
Go for the Throat
Tragic Slip
Mutilate
Memoricide
Life's Finale
Surgical Extraction
Despise
Other kill spells etc

Green
Fogs and other combat tricks

From that list I'd see if any would be possible to include in the sideboard of my current deck or perhaps my maindeck if the craterhoof deck is prevelant enough in the local scene. If not and it really is that oppressive I'll start looking at building a new deck.

The two decks i'm piloting are currently mono-B zombies and UG "Miracle Gro". I'm 95% sure that my miracle gro deck would be fine against the craterhoof deck (provided my deck doesn't bend me over again with 10 out of 18 lands in only 6-8 turns every game for a tourney) but if need be I can add fog and surgical extraction to the sideboard to shore up my game 2+3 and add the extraction main if the deck becomes too oppressive.

My mono-B zombies can be either turn BR for point removal or kept mono black and include more sweepers in mutilate, BSZ and have specific answers in the form of life's finale and memoricide to deal with the guys who you don't want to see hit the table.

==============================

Now then I'd like to present for your viewing pleasure the sexiness that is
The Rock is coming back baby XD

This is from the Izzet vs Golgari duel deck and is the mythic RTR preview card from it. The other spoiled card so far is from a "mistake" in M13 printing where a print run had RTR card Rootborn Defenses instead of a basic plains.
Rootborn Defenses 2W
Instant
Populate. Creatures you control are indestructible this turn.

Populate is the Selesnya mechanic this time around. It let's you put a copy of a token creature you control into play under your control.

crepesack :

I assume you're talking about Ezuri? Spellskite can't interact with Ezuri's abilities at all. The pump is non-targeted, so Spellskite can't steal it. Spellskite also can't steal the "regenerate another target elf" ability because it's not an elf and thus not a valid target. All spellskite does against it is have a big butt, which won't do much if they can just pump again next turn.

Craterhoof Elves seems really vulnerable to burns. Ezuri can save other elves, but he's the most dangerous elf in the deck and can only save himself with 5 mana. 1st or second-turn burns should just completely erode the deck's ability to combo off. Being on the draw and playing second turn arc trail, taking out an archdruid and a mana dork seems like it would just crush the deck.

You are one of my favorite cards, @Blightning - I've never regretted playing you.

Blightning:

crepesack :

I assume you're talking about Ezuri? Spellskite can't interact with Ezuri's abilities at all. The pump is non-targeted, so Spellskite can't steal it. Spellskite also can't steal the "regenerate another target elf" ability because it's not an elf and thus not a valid target. All spellskite does against it is have a big butt, which won't do much if they can just pump again next turn.

Craterhoof Elves seems really vulnerable to burns. Ezuri can save other elves, but he's the most dangerous elf in the deck and can only save himself with 5 mana. 1st or second-turn burns should just completely erode the deck's ability to combo off. Being on the draw and playing second turn arc trail, taking out an archdruid and a mana dork seems like it would just crush the deck.

I've got high hopes that I can prove you right about the turn-two Arc Trail. I've not been playing Red for a while now, but two of the three decks I assembled to combat Craterhoof are running Red, so we'll see tomorrow how that pans out! I figure between Arc Trail and Slagstorm I should be fine, but I've seen his elves come back from pretty bad situations before.

I'm simultaneously most excited and most concerned about my Esper mill design, though. Something about running a dozen sweepers just makes me happy, and between Despise, Mana Leak and Dissipate, I expect to even survive long enough to cast one, but my initial rounds of testing have shown elves to be a bit too resilient, and I often find myself one sweeper shy of winning.

Also, in case anybody's not familiar Blightning is amazing. :D

TheGuy(wantstobe):
Snip!

I tried sideboarding, and even some main deck modification of my GW Thragtusk deck to fight Craterhoof, but minor changes just weren't enough to have any real impact on how the games played out, so I ended up going in entirely different directions. I did come to largely the same conclusions that you did, card-wise, for battling the behemoth. In fact, my Esper deck is running like 10 of those cards you mention. It's not performing super well in testing, as I mentioned, as I think I went a little overboard on the hate, but boy is it fun to Life's Finale into Surgical Extraction. I've got one more night to make it work! :D

Encaen:

TheGuy(wantstobe):
Snip!

I tried sideboarding, and even some main deck modification of my GW Thragtusk deck to fight Craterhoof, but minor changes just weren't enough to have any real impact on how the games played out, so I ended up going in entirely different directions. I did come to largely the same conclusions that you did, card-wise, for battling the behemoth. In fact, my Esper deck is running like 10 of those cards you mention. It's not performing super well in testing, as I mentioned, as I think I went a little overboard on the hate, but boy is it fun to Life's Finale into Surgical Extraction. I've got one more night to make it work! :D

Haha. Yeah that tends to happen when you have a single deck in your sights. The rest of the field eats you up but if you come up against the deck you hate on you'll have an amazing day XD

There are many other cards I didn't mention that work really well against Elfhoof/Craterzuri/Beasty Elves/CHAAAAAAARGE!? (haven't decided on a good name for the deck yet :P) in Esper such as Nevermore/unburial rites+titans/tappers etc but generally memoricide alone will shut this type of deck down so hard it'll be fun to watch and can be left in the board while your main deck is tuned to face the general field.

Turbofog would also be the perfect counter to this deck as who cares if they swing for a billion damage when you have 6 fogs in hand and can draw another 8 cards for more on demand? Speaking of which the deck i'm playing at tomorrow's FMN is a turbofog variant with door to nothingness as it's alt wincon. I expect to go 1-4 and maybe 2-3 if I get lucky with my matchups.

Draconalis:

2xDouble:
Snip

So what happens when they use:

ancient grudge, smelt, naturalize, crushing vines, divine offering, revoke existence, crush, shatter

And that's just the spells, which don't take into account the creatures with EtB effects that destroy artifacts? Or spells that destroy enchantments.

What do you do then? What's your alternate win condition?

It's called "the stack". Anything that destroys the artifact has no effect on the activation of its ability. Prevent or negate the activation else I win.

However, since you asked (and didn't read the article last week), secondary win conditions: Craterhoof Behemoth - swing for win; Bonfire of the Damned for ~30 (or 11+ & Reverberate) - win; Ezuri, Renegade Leader craziness... etc. Hell, I sideboarded Sands of Delirium because I think it'd be funny.

And before you get all snippy again: Yes, there exists spell and creature control too.

2xDouble:
And before you get all snippy again: Yes, there exists spell and creature control too.

Oi, lay off the attitude, I was geniunly interested in knowing what your alternate condition was WHEN your door to nothing gets naturalized while it's still tapped.... since it comes into play... tapped. No amount of stack will help you then.

Or when your enchantment gets exiled because everyone is afraid of rancor.

Or when all your dorks get swepted on turn 4 (Which, I might add, since you're on the draw, is your turn 3)

The fastest you can win... with the absolutely perfect hand/draws, is turn 6, and that's forgoing all your control and creatures. And even then, it might still not be possible because I think you're 1 card draw too short

Playing when Affinity was at its height was a combination of hilarious and depressing. 4 games in 5 would end with me crushing their net-deck with a truly astounding amount of hate while they complained that they couldn't sideboard against me because I was going rogue. Not one of them seemed to realise that taking the same deck as 80% of the field might leave them vulnerable to a hate strategy.

Draconalis:

Oi, lay off the attitude, I was geniunly interested ...

It didn't come across.

Just like any alternative win condition, Door to Nothingness is vulnerable to different "hate" than "normal" victory conditions. Fortunately, until they know what you're up to, you can actually use power cards like Rancor to decoy away from the Repository/Door (or just to hit with). That's combo players' rule #1: always have a backup plan. (...and rule #2: expectation is your weapon) You're right though, I should be playing Door earlier (as my previous posts indicate, is VERY possible), that way I need only 4-6 counters on Druid's Repository, or less if I can pull out Primeval Titan and a bunch of Dual lands. I don't have the cards for it yet, but there is the possibility of using Clock of Omens alongside the "infinite Myr" combos, again, to distract from what I'm really doing.

You should see the Battle of Wits decks though. They're beautiful turn 5/6 wins... and force players to slow down their game or play cards they wouldn't normally use. (who uses pro-Blue anything?) It really pisses off meta players. Basic idea: play land, counter everything, use Searches(such as Diabolic Tutor and Diabolic Revelation) to get specific counters, get Battle of Wits out, win.

Well that was exciting! I brought a back-to-basics Wolf Run deck to see how it fared against Craterhoof, packing slightly fewer Huntmaster of the Fells, 4x Slagstorm, 2x Bonfire of the Damned, and 4x Arc Trail. For some reason I didn't have any Whipflares lying around, else I would have run a couple in place of some Arc Trails.

Game 1 - I win the roll, mulligan to 6, and keep 3 lands, 2 ramp spells, and a Huntmaster of the Fells on the play. I play a land and pass. Steve plays Llanowar Elves. I Rampant Growth and pass, Steve plays 2x Arbor Elf and a Copperhorn Scout. I draw Slagstorm, breath a sign of relief, and realize I only have 1 red source. This makes me sad, so I Rampant Growth again for my second red source and pass the turn. Steve casts Soul of the Harvest and hits me with his Scout. I draw a Green Sun's Zenith, cast Slagstorm, clearing his elves, then I cast a third Rampant Growth and pass. Steve swings for 6, I go to 13. He casts an Elvish Archdruid and draws off the Soul. I'm currently sitting on 2x Green Sun's Zenith and a Huntmaster of the Fells, with 6 mana in play. I cast Huntmaster going to 15, then GSZ for 1 to get Birds of Paradise. Steve swings for 6 again, I go to 9. He casts another Copperhorn Scout draws and passes. I draw the land I needed last turn, play it, GSZ for 6 for Primeval Titan. I get Kessig Wolf Run and Inkmoth Nexus and pass the turn. He swings for 6, and I gladly trade my Titan for his Soul. He casts Lead the Stampede revealing 4 creatures, including a Craterhoof Behemoth and I get a little nervous. I draw dead with Cavern of Souls and pump an Inkmoth Nexus to swing for 7 infect. Huntmaster of the Fells flips to Ravager of the Fells on his turn, and I Shock his Archdruid, breathing another long sigh of relief. He's no longer on Craterhoof mana, and he ponders his options for a minute, casts an Elvish Visionary, draws off it, and scoops. YAY POISON!

Game 2 was a different sort of affair. I'm on the draw and I start with Bonfire of the Damned in hand, with lands, ramp and a Primeval Titan. He leads with a turn two Archdruid, putting his elves out of reach of my third turn bonfire-for-one. I Rampant Growth for a Mountain, shuffle up, and politely ask Steve to cut to Slagstorm or Bonfire of the Damned so I don't lose on turn four. He casts more elves on turn three, and things are looking pretty grim for me... until I draw for my third turn. He actually cut to my sole remaining bonfire, which forced me to grin ear to ear and immediately reveal. I burned his team out for 2, clearing the board, played a land and passed the turn. He starts ramping back up with elves and passes the turn. He's just starting to get his board presence back with 3 elves out, but no Archdruid in sight, and I cast my second Bonfire, clearing his board again. I attack with a Titan and a pair of Inkmoths, putting him to 10 and 2 poison. He doesn't run Fog anymore, and I pump my Titan to lethal proportions the next turn and win.

tldr: Game 1 was close, but Huntmaster saved the day when he flipped, taking out an Archdruid. Game 2 was not so close, since Steve kindly cut straight to the Bonfire of the Damned that I needed to win. Nowhere did I see Arc Trail, though, but I still imagine it feels pretty good to kill a pair of elves on turn two.

Thanks for un-retiring Craterhoof long enough to let me get my last shot at it, @Steve Butts! :D

Encaen:
snip

Sweet! Glad to hear you took the deck out and stopped it from going undefeated in your group :P.

Any thoughts on what's gonna be played next week at Worlds in the standard portion and are you going to be watching the block decks as much as I am to see what a good place to start for post rotation is going to be?

TheGuy(wantstobe):

Encaen:
snip

Sweet! Glad to hear you took the deck out and stopped it from going undefeated in your group :P.

Any thoughts on what's gonna be played next week at Worlds in the standard portion and are you going to be watching the block decks as much as I am to see what a good place to start for post rotation is going to be?

Yay, World Magic Cup! I'm honestly none-too-sure what to expect, as you can never account for innovation, but here's what I'd like to see at the top...
A Wolf Run variant - maybe RUG since I like hardcastingTemporal Mastery.
Zombie Pod - I love Zombies and I love Birthing Pod. Together they are just beautiful.
Bant or RUG Pod - Since Zombie Pod doesn't really play out like a Pod deck, I'd like to see a more traditional pod deck, though I like the variants rather than Naya. I really want to see a professional player flicker Acidic Slime with Deadeye Navigator like a hundred times.
Reanimator - I love reanimator decks, and I want to see someone Unburial Rites Griselbrand, draw 7, then win.
And/Or
Something novel - I'm not too picky on this front. As long as I've never seen it before, I'd love to see it win!

And yes, I'll definitely be watching Block. Looking over recent Daily events in MTGO, it looks like 4-color decks are somehow winning, despite having what seems to be really shaky mana. From what I can tell, people have just splashed White into the previously-dominant Jund decks for Restoration Angel? It looks like a heavy commitment for just one card, but it seems to be working!

Encaen:

TheGuy(wantstobe):

Encaen:
snip

Yay, World Magic Cup! I'm honestly none-too-sure what to expect, as you can never account for innovation, but here's what I'd like to see at the top...
A Wolf Run variant - maybe RUG since I like hardcastingTemporal Mastery.
Zombie Pod - I love Zombies and I love Birthing Pod. Together they are just beautiful.
Bant or RUG Pod - Since Zombie Pod doesn't really play out like a Pod deck, I'd like to see a more traditional pod deck, though I like the variants rather than Naya. I really want to see a professional player flicker Acidic Slime with Deadeye Navigator like a hundred times.
Reanimator - I love reanimator decks, and I want to see someone Unburial Rites Griselbrand, draw 7, then win.
And/Or
Something novel - I'm not too picky on this front. As long as I've never seen it before, I'd love to see it win!

And yes, I'll definitely be watching Block. Looking over recent Daily events in MTGO, it looks like 4-color decks are somehow winning, despite having what seems to be really shaky mana. From what I can tell, people have just splashed White into the previously-dominant Jund decks for Restoration Angel? It looks like a heavy commitment for just one card, but it seems to be working!

Well I know there's some sweet tech being played from the Wales team to try and shore up their blue decks.
Looking at the standard results from last week and the few final weeks in July the format seems really open and I think the gilded grixis control deck could end up taking the crown for the standard portion.

After posting and looking through the MODO lists I remembered that the strongest deck in the format has been banned out of existence! TOKENS. Without this deck being allowed to be played and knowing that there is no reliable turn 4 wrath effect in October standard as of right now I have to wonder what are Wizards going to do.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here