Uncharted: Drake's Misdirected Anger

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hahaha, this one was actually pretty funny. And I never did notice how lightly Drake actually takes the shit he goes through, and all the murders he commits.

I was totally just thinking this! I had just got into Uncharted about a week ago and it was really kind of unsettling how cool and snarky he and his pals are after killing, like, 40 dudes. It's one thing if it's a Marcus Pheonix or a Max Payne punning after some serious murderin', they're dark anti-hero types, but this guy is just a bit too chipper during it all. Creepy.

I guess you could say Drake's finally...

*puts on sunglasses*

...snapped

Every time you center block text, God kills a kitten. And a dolphin. For the love of cheese left hand block that section under the comic, it make my eyes bleed.

OT: Drake is a massive douchebag. I haven't played past the first Uncharted purely for my dislike of the character

*singing*
I'm a sociopath and I'm ok,
I drink all night and I kill all day.

EDIT: That's a joke, BTW.

"without feeling like a colossal wank-titan striding across the majestic masturbatory landscape of planet Palm "

Oh man, that made me laugh almost more than the comic.

That's Renegade Shepard humor right there.

Reminds me of GTA in a way.

"I WAS FRAMED. I DIDN'T KILL THAT ONE COP." /proceeds to murder the entire population of the city four times over for funsies. BUT STILL DIDN'T KILL THAT ONE COP.

Yeah, I always wonder how much more effective the Uncharted series would have been as a fighting game more akin to Arkham Asylum, so Drake is only beating people unconscious and breaking their limbs, not killing HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE!

I mean Batman is dark and macabre as hell yet he refuses to kill anyone, ever, even in the most extreme situations where any court in the world would agree it is justified self-defence to use lethal force.

Really Drake just needs a better reason for killing all these guys than "wow, sum cool treasure".

Think about how Indiana Jones did it that didn't even kill that many people:

OK, well it didn't SEEM like all that many. But with that huge kill count, the people who died were really bad, freaking nazis, cackling Hong Kong Gangsters or child slave drivers who made human sacrifices.

I always thought Uncharted series would have been better going up against some more evil Villains like Human Traffickers and Nate's girlfriend had been kidnapped and had to save her from a fate worse than death. Yeah, rapists would have to be over there with Nazis as "people you would struggle to care about brutally killing".

canadamus_prime:
*singing*

Even with the edit, that still rhymed!

Don't drag the majestic and proud planet Palm into the monologue of your funny man picture books.

Z of the Na'vi:

canadamus_prime:
*singing*

Even with the edit, that still rhymed!

Oh yeah, it does too. That wasn't intentional. Well the first part was, prior to the Edit, because I based it on the Lumberjack Song, but the Edit wasn't intended to rhyme.

I've gotten use to the heroic sociopath cliche in games but there are still things that bug me in the difference between cutscene and gameplay, 1. Spontaneous mercy I killed hundreds of people on my way to you without a bat of the eye but now I'm gonna grow a heart because I learned his name 2. A character getting hurt in a cutscene for one hit when in gameplay he has enough lead in him to open up gun shop 3. A character doing anything badass in a cutscene that I can't do in gameplay.

That's pretty funny unlike you I do like drake but yeah this is one of the flaws with his character.

Cool lookin art this week,
Drake also looks like he would bite someones face of in the second last panel.
Standards have been up held while Cory's out to play.

lord.jeff:
I've gotten use to the heroic sociopath cliche in games but there are still things that bug me in the difference between cutscene and gameplay,

1. Spontaneous mercy I killed hundreds of people on my way to you without a bat of the eye but now I'm gonna grow a heart because I learned his name

2. A character getting hurt in a cutscene for one hit when in gameplay he has enough lead in him to open up gun shop

3. A character doing anything badass in a cutscene that I can't do in gameplay.

I can agree with that, but for me the Uncharted series is really guilty of this; because every other cutscene tries to show how pacifist and non-psychotic Drake is, but in game play I just broke into someone's legally owned warehouse and killed 20 of their guards unprovoked.

lord.jeff:
I've gotten use to the heroic sociopath cliche in games but there are still things that bug me in the difference between cutscene and gameplay, 1. Spontaneous mercy I killed hundreds of people on my way to you without a bat of the eye but now I'm gonna grow a heart because I learned his name 2. A character getting hurt in a cutscene for one hit when in gameplay he has enough lead in him to open up gun shop 3. A character doing anything badass in a cutscene that I can't do in gameplay.

My favorite is when you beat the big bad in gameplay, then in the cutscene he beats you and runs off.

Yeah I must admit- Drake times his jokes at the worst of times.

"Hey babe, I know you just saw me snap a guy's neck but let me just make a cruddy joke about it in front of you smiling."

You'd think these heroes or characters have more common sense. If I was with a girl I liked, loved, or married to... I would of chocked the guy out and not make a joke about it, only to wave my hand and help my girlfriend come with me sneaking about.
Think of it this way, imagine if she did that in front of me, without mercy or regarding the fact she killed someone just so we can get some treasure then proceed to make a joke. That's creepy, despite i've seen worse and it's not the most evil thing you can do- it's still dark in a sense.

Nice to see my relatives are consistent anyway.

Did I tell you about the time my Uncle, Nick Drake, stole his ex wife's dead husbands identity for absolutely no reason.

:|

Descendants of Sir Francis Drake....messed up people.

jebbo:
Every time you center block text, God kills a kitten. And a dolphin. For the love of cheese left hand block that section under the comic, it make my eyes bleed.

OT: Drake is a massive douchebag. I haven't played past the first Uncharted purely for my dislike of the character

So I heard that you have issues with centered text
And I decided to make this post next

For every time you complain
You must know that there's one person who will aim
To do whatever they can to annoy you
Just for the jollies of making someone blue.

OT: I've found that I don't usually make the connection between gameplay/cut-scene unless it's a game like Mass Effect. Though it does annoy me, like two previous posters said, when either the player's character does something badass during a cut-scene which I can't do while controlling them, or a Big Bad is destroyed in gameplay and then wrecks the player during a cut-scene. Cut-scene stupidity is one of the quickest ways to get me angry at a video game, and it just happens so often.

canadamus_prime:
*singing*

Damn it now I have the lumberjack song on repeat in my head.Damn you Monty Python!

shrekfan246:

jebbo:

So I heard that you have issues with centered text
And I decided to make this post next

For every time you complain
You must know that there's one person who will aim
To do whatever they can to annoy you
Just for the jollies of making someone blue.

OT: I've found that I don't usually make the connection between gameplay/cut-scene unless it's a game like Mass Effect. Though it does annoy me, like two previous posters said, when either the player's character does something badass during a cut-scene which I can't do while controlling them, or a Big Bad is destroyed in gameplay and then wrecks the player during a cut-scene. Cut-scene stupidity is one of the quickest ways to get me angry at a video game, and it just happens so often.

I actually do kind of the opposite for the Mass Effect. I think the combat and conversations are mostly canon while the action-oriented cutscenes are full of shit. So many times in ME3 I was like, "JUST FUCKING SHOOT HIM, HE'S STANDING RIGHT THERE!" or my favorite, "YOU HAVE BIOTICS YOU KNOW YOUS STUPID FUCK! USE THEM!"

*sigh*

This was actually my problem with the Uncharted series, not the neck snapping but the casual murder Nathan Drake commits to become rich.
In the second game at the final boss Drake does the "I won't kill you, cause I'm better than you", the guy comments on how many people Drake has killed and then.... Drake walks away -_- . To me it makes his character inconsistent.

Fappy:

I actually do kind of the opposite for the Mass Effect. I think the combat and conversations are mostly canon while the action-oriented cutscenes are full of shit. So many times in ME3 I was like, "JUST FUCKING SHOOT HIM, HE'S STANDING RIGHT THERE!" or my favorite, "YOU HAVE BIOTICS YOU KNOW YOUS STUPID FUCK! USE THEM!"

*sigh*

Well, that goes under 'cut-scene stupidity' for me. Yeah, the lack of Shepard using biotics during conversations is annoying, even though I do get why they did it that way and why they make him/her always use a pistol in ME2 (because it's the only weapon every class can use, I believe).

Just think how much more awesome Mass Effect could've been if they did make cut-scenes change dependent on the class you picked, though, while not sacrificing any of the stuff that was already awesome about it.

shrekfan246:

Fappy:

*sigh*

Well, that goes under 'cut-scene stupidity' for me. Yeah, the lack of Shepard using biotics during conversations is annoying, even though I do get why they did it that way and why they make him/her always use a pistol in ME2 (because it's the only weapon every class can use, I believe).

Just think how much more awesome Mass Effect could've been if they did make cut-scenes change dependent on the class you picked, though, while not sacrificing any of the stuff that was already awesome about it.

They would have to change like every cutscene with Kai Leng in it if you were biotic, "How cute, he's jumping to a space car from a building *BIOTIC PUSH*". That's a long way down!"

Fappy:

shrekfan246:

Fappy:

*sigh*

They would have to change like every cutscene with Kai Leng in it if you were biotic, "How cute, he's jumping to a space car from a building *BIOTIC PUSH*". That's a long way down!"

Well, no great loss there. Nobody liked Kai Leng anyway. :D

shrekfan246:

Fappy:

shrekfan246:

Everyone is just standing around with their dicks in their hands during that scene for some reason. And what is up with Thane pointing a gun at his head and giving him just enough time to notice him before he fired. I thought Thane was an assassin, not an overly dramatic cowboy. Or how about when you fight him for the final time and it starts with that scuffle at the beginning of the fight. Your squadmates are standing DIRECTLY NEXT TO YOU and do nothing. What?

Fappy:

shrekfan246:

Fappy:

Everyone is just standing around with their dicks in their hands during that scene for some reason. And what is up with Thane pointing a gun at his head and giving him just enough time to notice him before he fired. I thought Thane was an assassin, not an overly dramatic cowboy. Or how about when you fight him for the final time and it starts with that scuffle at the beginning of the fight. Your squadmates are standing DIRECTLY NEXT TO YOU and do nothing. What?

Yeah, about the only thing that I don't like about the Mass Effect series as a whole is the number of cut-scene stupid moments the entire cast goes through. That's part of the reason I love the Paragon/Renegade interrupts, though. :D

I recently played through Uncharted 2 and am working my way through 3. They're fun games, to be sure, but Drake really does come across as a sociopath. It's hard to ignore that beneath the "charming and witty" exterior, he's a mass murderer who constantly puts the lives of his friends in danger for the sake of his adventures and always dodges the question whenever someone asks him how it could possibly be worth it.

I don't understand why people find it funny or an issue that drake kills bunch people in the games, they are armed, and they try and kill you if you don't kill them, Should I feel sorry for black water mercenaries that got killed in afghanistan and iraq? Sorry no silent tears are being wepped for them.

I played that free hunting game called "the hunter" to give it a try, did I shoot one deer than say: thats all I need? No of course not I killed a bunch more fuzzy woodland creatures until it got boring(I don't like hunting or hunters in real life to be honest though), why because without hunting theres no game, without that many enemies, uncharted would be a movie, a 60 dollar movie thats 2 hours long, enemies pad out a game, simple fact.

Lets not forget guys, Luke Skywalker killed anywhere between 1-33 million(according to the only sources I could find) people, yet we don't bring up genocide every time someones talking about Luke or Starwars, like it seems to happen with uncharted.

Her facial expression.

So priceless

Irridium:

lord.jeff:

My favorite is when you beat the big bad in gameplay, then in the cutscene he beats you and runs off.

Yeah, what's up with that? Sounds like a dick move. Who does that?

I JUST realised I completed GoW3 on insane last week and chain sawed roughly 50 locust in half... with a CHAIN SAW!!! Blood went every where... why didn't I notice until now!?

Man, I love Drake so much. He's just such a dick.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here