Escape to the Movies: Bourne Legacy

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Bourne Legacy

The latest Bourne movie is surprisingly Bourne-less.

Watch Video

Any chance for a Killer Joe review?

Bob you're REALLY trying too hard to fit jingoism into this series. Did it honestly fly right over your head that the whole point of Bourne was 'what happens when we go too far?' Or did you just fall asleep for the last five minutes of Ultimatum and miss Matt Damon saying EXACTLY THAT to the guy who tried to kill him?

I think you never really got out of the Michelle Bay Transformers mindset.

Now that you mention it... yeah. I can recall anything of substance from the previous Bourne films. Like even the clips Bob used didn't ring any bells...

I'd like my movie purchases to stick with me longer than the time it takes to watch them...

There was a possibility Whedon wasn't going to direct the Avengers sequel?

I was hoping for a review of The Campaign but what can you do.

OT: Never did get into the Bourne films, though I can't tell you why. Seems correct about the whole pilot idea, I thought the series was gone around the time of that game came out and everyone raised a stink about Damon not being in it.

Also, thank you for reminding me that I've yet to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Yeah I know there's a book but unless Gary Oldman is IN the book, I want to see the movie first.

Actually, Bob, yes there was a question whether Whedon would be back for Avengers 2. Just remember:

MOVIES
ARE
WEIRD!!!

Never underestimate the stupidity of movie executives. Whedon slapped one out of the park last time up, so in Hollywood, half the time that means bring in someone else.

I can't remember much of anything specific about the Bourne movies either, which frankly is a blessing, as I recall being very angry and disappointed about just how much they managed to bastardize the book trilogy. They took the story of the first book, moved it from the mid 70s to the 2000s, cut out plot points, rewrote huge swaths of other plot points, and somehow managed to extend the unrecognizable mass out to three separate movies, the latter two bearing the names of the second and third books despite having no connection to them at all.

If you haven't already seen the movie trilogy, skip it and read the books. You'll get a lot more entertainment out of it. If you HAVE seen the trilogy, go read the books anyway. They're much better, and much different, from the movies.

As for the Bourne Legacy, I wasn't really interested in seeing it, and judging from MovieBob's review, I'm not missing much.

Hitchmeister:
Actually, Bob, yes there was a question whether Whedon would be back for Avengers 2. Just remember:

MOVIES
ARE
WEIRD!!!

Never underestimate the stupidity of movie executives. Whedon slapped one out of the park last time up, so in Hollywood, half the time that means bring in someone else.

especially when they thing they'll make a lot of money by going low budget on a sequel

4:30 - "America..."

Seriously? NOW You get that notion? And where were You during last decade of American filmmaking? (and game making for that matter?)

I got sick and tired of this trope ages ago.

Wait, we were supposed to like the Borne movies? My dislike of the Borne trilogy stemmed from the half/half approach. Never delving into true camp while still mascaraing as a serious movie.

I'm not really sure how to take this review. I know MovieBob says that it's not his job to advise people how to spend their money but that's what these reviews are for to me; a pretty good indication of whether I'll like the movie (a utility that A.O. Scott's reviews distinctly lack). MovieBob's like or dislike of movies is usually pretty in line with mine (except for comedies) but I LOVE the Bourne series so I'm not really sure what to take away.

The only thing I remember about the Bourne films is I saw the 1st at the cinema, didn't think much of it, then bought the trilogy box set for 10 because I felt I really should watch them at some point because everyone seemed to like them. Still haven't seen them.

Hey Bob *waves*

did you just show me a frame of Gary Oldman in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ?

because i was waiting on you reviewing that for ages :(

still if that's what it was i suppose at least it was referenced positively.

as for Bourne movies i only really liked the first one...mostly for the "real life" like car chase tbh...that and "freshness" of that hand to hand fighting style at the time.

Bob, I can't believe you actually watched all three original Bourne movies. I gave up in the middle of the second one deciding it was crap and promptly got my money back.

I guess the movie is awesome. From a guy who admittedly doesn't like Bourne movies this is a very positive review.

I love Bourne trilogy by the way. Bourne Supremacy is my favorite.

My favorite aspect of the new film was that it wasn't directed by Paul Greengrass, which means that I'll be able to see what's happening. I'm surprised Bob didn't explicitly mention shaky-cam, but I guess it was implied.

I've overall kinda liked the Bourne movies, they're basically decent enough thrillers that can each kill a couple of hours. Bob is absolutely right about no one being able to actually remember what happens in each film (someone I spoke too recently was surprised when I said both Clive Owen and Karl Urban were in previous installments).

I might still go see this for Jeremy Renner. I've liked his work since The Hurt Locker and when he was on a fun cop show called The Unusuals (I'm curious if any of the other 5 people throughout human existence who have seen this show also read this site).

I never thought of the America vs. America thing. I'm an American who doesn't trust his own government... so... that's really how I looked at these films. I don't see it as "We are so Badass the only villain who can stand up to us is US!"

I think you are doing some projecting, Bob.

And really... is there anything more true than we-are-our-own-worst-enemy? It's as true on an individual level as it is on a national level, regardless of what country you are coming from.

The Bourne books are far better than the movies and don't have that problem with tonal balance.

Am I the only one who is kinda excited about the new ALF movie? I mean dear god I really hope it will be better then the last ALF movie (the "end" of ALF seeing how the TV series ended) Though on the other hand, maybe it's better to let it rest in peace? It's been so long and it was a special kind of show that was fun for the kids but also for the adults (you know, on of "those" sitcoms, the good ones ;) so I think it will be hard to make a good movie with the same concept.

What I'm trying to say is, as a fan of the series, I really hope they don't scew it up.... Smurf 3D.... *sigh*

Oh I cant even imagine what happened to the person who suggested Whedon shouldnt direct The Avengers 2 (hopefully they were thrown in some kinda tiger den, but that may be a bit much) though it makes me think that they were also dumb enough to say lets let Michael Bay at it, despite that probably not ever even occuring to anyone thought wise.

So we are getting an ALF reboot, but now he is a alcoholic, emotionally retarded, physical and verbally abusing stoner alien... ok, it's not original but at least it sounds way more entertaining than the original show..

"America, we're so awesome that the only enemy who can challenge us now is... us" Brilliant!
Hollywood had to get there some time. After saving the world multiple times from ALL threats (including extra-terrestrial beings) that is the ultimate and last challenge.

Whedon directing a new Avengers I'm all for.

Whedon writing the new movie... not so much. He is a one note writer who never had a chance to be good because his ring of sycophantic followers won't let him be.

Yes, please tell me once again how I'm so wrong. It has not sunk in the last 300 times I've been told. Maybe the 301st time will be what convinces me. ugh!

Sleekit:
as for Bourne movies i only really liked the first one...mostly for the "real life" like car chase tbh...that and "freshness" of that hand to hand fighting style at the time.

Yeah--the chaotic shaky-cam was okay for the first Bourne film because it represented Bourne's internal confusion and how he was such an enhanced-badass, you couldn't even tell what was happening until the bad guy was on the ground. Then, in typical Hollywood style, every action movie copied it even though there was no story reason for it. Ugh.

I also blame the Bourne movies for making the plot of every American spy movie since to be "superspy is pursued by his own agency for REASONS". I guess Haywire mixed it up a bit by making the agency a private company, but that just switched it to the other big bogeyman of recent action-thrillers, the evil PMC. Groan.

There's an interesting point made about the potential jingoistic mindset of these films.
It's an interesting point but to be honest I always assumed it was more a result of major blockbuster films needing to compete on an international scale and therefore making it much more difficult to have our action heroes blowing up a bunch of Chinese/Russian/Cuban or German soldiers.

Although I will admit a certain degree of irritation at these films for continuing the Hollywood trend of preying on America's seemingly bottomless pit of techno-fear.

(Here's a fun game. Try having an honest conversation about robotics and artificial intelligence and time how long it takes for some half wit to bring up the Terminator.)

"America, we're so awesome that the only enemy who can challenge us now is... us" Brilliant!

Yeah. Just like Frankenstein was so awesome that the only enemy that could challenge him was his own monster.

The first Bourne trilogi has the same theme. Creating a monster (Bourne) and having it turn on you. Why is that a problem Bob?

(I'm European/Danish by the way)

I understand what Bob's saying about the Bourne movies trying to be over the top in their action scenes, but realistic when it comes to the espionage and the dialogue, I just don't see what's necessarily... Wrong with that. At all. I thought moderation was a good thing? They weren't trying to be full blown camp by any stretch of the imagination, so why even compare them to that just because they wanted the action scenes to portray the extreme capabilities of the agents, which is the entire point of the movie? I'm really not seeing the issue here.

How about "Bourne Gaiden"?

More surprised that your readers didn't suggest that one yet, than that it might not have occurred to you personally.

The Campaign?

Will Ferrell and Zach Galifanakis as rival politicians. How could you not review that?

Anyway. Yeah, the Bourne films never did much for me either.

I liked the review overall. Even though I'm not sure if you'd suggest going to see it or not. (Is the movie ending so abruptly detract from the quality? Is it good popcorn fodder?)

But one thing I was really disappointed with. In the end your little tangent about how it's a GI Joe fighting a corrupt US government system... You say that it's wrong because... It's arrogant? Really? It's not wrong because as bad as it is to stereotype other cultures/countries/etc in bad guy-dom, it's just as bad to do it to America? I feel like double standards are just the norm with you Bob. That's never good.

When I first saw the trailer for this movie I thought for sure it was a Hawkeye movie, I was so disappointed!

MovieBob:
Bourne Legacy

The latest Bourne movie is surprisingly Bourne-less.

Watch Video

Seeing as this film series are based on the series of books after the original trilogy that spanned from the early 1980's to late 1990's, the series writer Robert Ludlum died in 2001. Eric Van Lustbader took on writing the following novels in 2004 and in true fashion none of the films follow the same plot as the books.

In all matter of fact the 2004 novel The Bourne Legacy actually has Jason Bourne in it, the only reason they stopped making films with Matt Damon was because he quit in 2009, so they replaced him with Jeremy Renner. The book had nothing to do with the creation of super soldiers it was about hunting down his former handler or something similar, what's really funny is an extra 7 novels with Jason Bourne in them all being released over the last decade with the most recent being released this year.

The films are only loosely adapted from the books so don't turn them down if you don't like the films. there are 10 books in total by the way as of 2012, Eric Van Lustbader sure has been busy :D

the abyss gazes also:
Now that you mention it... yeah. I can recall anything of substance from the previous Bourne films. Like even the clips Bob used didn't ring any bells...

I'd like my movie purchases to stick with me longer than the time it takes to watch them...

Me too. In actuality, I literally can't even remember if I saw the third movie or didn't. Literally nothing from the series at all stuck with me except a slight tinge of disappointment given how hyped up they are/were. I don't recall them being bad at all, it's just sort of a vacuum.

That said, I like Renner so I may see this at some point but I'm definitely not rushing out to the threatre to see it.

mrc390:
Any chance for a Killer Joe review?

Yes please! Matthew McConaughey does a brilliant surprise of a performance, the ending made me feel really queasy. Won't look at chicken the same way again!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here